Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-13-2013, 12:32 PM   #31
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
I'm dreaming here, but ideally, Tivo will be rolling out profiles for the Premiere software sometime "soon", which amongst the options for the profiles, would be assigning access rights and privileges to profiles, which would control what you see in "My Shows", whether you have delete permissions, whether you can see the SP manager, etc.

Many will remember the HDUI screen shots from way back when the Premiere was launched, indicating some sort of "profile" system. Maybe after 3 years and more momentum behind Whole Home, we might actually have a chance.

(Let the "Tivo delivering products and enhancements in a reasonable amount of time" jokes begin.)
I think this is the next step in their whole home plan.

And they don't really need to add "rights" to delete recordings. They can simply use a reference count. So basically if the same show is recorded by multiple users then they will share the same recording, and each user can delete the recording from their My Shows, but it wont actually be available to be overwritten until all users have deleted it and the reference count is 0.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:15 PM   #32
HenryFarpolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNowChief View Post
Are you talking about a Premiere or a Mini?
Mini!!
HenryFarpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:23 PM   #33
jfh3

Well, this was by far the easiest and fastest TiVo product set up I've ever had. My Mini was ordered from Tivo and had lifetime already associated with it.

About 20 minutes and most of that was trying to find the remote for the host Tivo so I could allow the Mini to use tuners.

One thing that surprised me a bit was the that the default My Shows list was that from the host DVR though that can be changed in the "Remote & Devices" menu on the Mini.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:39 PM   #34
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryFarpolo View Post
Mini!!
LOL so what did you need an activation number and cable card for? In confused. You mean the media access key?
TiVo HDXL
TiVo HD
Retired: TiVo Series 2 ST, Philips Series 1 HDR212
NotNowChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:40 PM   #35
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3 View Post
Well, this was by far the easiest and fastest TiVo product set up I've ever had. My Mini was ordered from Tivo and had lifetime already associated with it.

About 20 minutes and most of that was trying to find the remote for the host Tivo so I could allow the Mini to use tuners.

One thing that surprised me a bit was the that the default My Shows list was that from the host DVR though that can be changed in the "Remote & Devices" menu on the Mini.
Hearing this makes me very interested to see if eventually this thing is gonna work with 2-tuner boxes once they get this dynamic tuner allocation squared away.
TiVo HDXL
TiVo HD
Old 03-13-2013, 04:41 PM   #36
Gromit

Just got my first mini setup and everything is working great.

I'm in a condo. I ordered a POE filter, but I don't think I need it. Or put another way, I have no idea where I could put it that would actually work. I tried adding it before my cable modem but I couldn't get an internet connection. Plus, I'm not sure it would help there anyway.

Setup took a few minutes, but I expected that. The mini was already activated since I ordered from TiVo.

No issues getting on my network (MoCA). My setup - cable modem to Apple Airport Extreme with a second AE in the living room connected wirelessly to the first. My XL4 is connected to that router via ethernet. The mini is working fine via MoCA.

No complaints about the time required to change channels. I just switched from DirecTV and I think it's a bit faster than their HD-DVR was.

Oh, my TX/RX rates are 239/244.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:43 PM   #37
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Hearing this makes me very interested to see if eventually this thing is gonna work with 2-tuner boxes once they get this dynamic tuner allocation squared away.
He's wrong. You can only select 4 tuner devices from that list. The only way to stream from a 2 tuner is to pick it from the bottom of My Shows like you would from another TiVo. The default My Shows for the Mini is always the host it's linked to.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #38
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
I'm in a condo. I ordered a POE filter, but I don't think I need it. Or put another way, I have no idea where I could put it that would actually work. I tried adding it before my cable modem but I couldn't get an internet connection. Plus, I'm not sure it would help there anyway.
If the POE filter blocks your internet connection then it's broken. It's only suppose to block frequencies that are outside the range of normal cable operations. I've seen others who had the same problem and exchanging the POE filter for another one fixed the issue. Like anything these things can have defects that cause them not to function correctly.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:01 PM   #39
Gromit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
If the POE filter blocks your internet connection then it's broken. It's only suppose to block frequencies that are outside the range of normal cable operations. I've seen others who had the same problem and exchanging the POE filter for another one fixed the issue. Like anything these things can have defects that cause them not to function correctly.
Thanks, I'll try it again to make sure and contact TiVo if it's not working.

Am I thinking correctly that I can (and should) use the filter even though I can't place it where the line comes into the condo? My modem and primary router are in the guest bedroom/office. But the XL4 is in the living room connected to the internet through a second router, and a coax connection for the TV signal. I'm not sure if the filter should go before the modem or the XL4.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:07 PM   #40
jmatero

Not to concerned with the season passes, etc on the mini. I use my iPhone or iPad for that as it's a better experience than using the premiere itself.
jmatero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:10 PM   #41
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
Thanks, I'll try it again to make sure and contact TiVo if it's not working.

Am I thinking correctly that I can (and should) use the filter even though I can't place it where the line comes into the condo? My modem and primary router are in the guest bedroom/office. But the XL4 is in the living room connected to the internet through a second router, and a coax connection for the TV signal. I'm not sure if the filter should go before the modem or the XL4.
Is there a splitter accessible somewhere that splits out your coax runs to the various rooms? If so, the POE filter should go on the input side of that splitter.
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #42
UCLABB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatero View Post
Not to concerned with the season passes, etc on the mini. I use my iPhone or iPad for that as it's a better experience than using the premiere itself.
Agree, much easier to navigate on the iPad versus the Premiere. Plus you can do it without interrupting what's on TV.
UCLABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:16 PM   #43
Gromit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Is there a splitter accessible somewhere that splits out your coax runs to the various rooms? If so, the POE filter should go on the input side of that splitter.
Not that I know of, but I'll ask. I just moved in a couple of weeks ago.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:19 PM   #44
Dan203
Super Moderator

Why do you have two routers? You should only ever have one. Having two can cause all sorts of weird conflicts. A router is a way to share a single internet connection with multiple devices. Once you're inside your network you should only ever use switches to add additional ports.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:20 PM   #45
HenryFarpolo

Quote:
LOL so what did you need an activation number and cable card for? In confused. You mean the media access key?
LOL..Why? The "activation code", I refer to is the TSN required in the activation process. In my short post, I did not say I needed a cablecard. I simply cited my provider. Still confused??
HenryFarpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:26 PM   #46
Gromit

Quote:
Why do you have two routers? You should only ever have one. Having two can cause all sorts of weird conflicts. A router is a way to share a single internet connection with multiple devices. Once you're inside your network you should only ever use switches to add additional ports.
The second is just acting as a wireless bridge.

I have 2 because in the house I moved from, I had one in the basement (where the modem is) and a second 2 floors up for better wireless coverage.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:30 PM   #47
Dan203
Super Moderator

Once you have the MoCa up and running you'll no longer need the Wifi bridge. If you need to increase coverage you should convert it to an access point instead.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:47 PM   #48
Philmatic

Quote:
Once you have the MoCa up and running you'll no longer need the Wifi bridge. If you need to increase coverage you should convert it to an access point instead.

Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #49
Loach

Quote:
Once you have the MoCa up and running you'll no longer need the Wifi bridge.
It sounds like he's using his XL4 as the MoCA bridge and it is not in a room with wired Ethernet (connected to Ethernet via the Wifi bridge).

I would think he's going to have to put a MoCA adapter at his router to serve as the MoCA bridge in order to lose the Wifi bridge.
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:51 PM   #50
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Years ago I used two routers on FiOS, when I had one of their STBs which was connected over MoCA to the FiOS router. But I never had any issues with double NAT. My personal router was setup as the primary router. It was rock solid with over fifty devices at the time on the network.

I had also used it with the FiOS router as the primary. Still no issues.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:06 PM   #51
Dan203
Super Moderator

Yes but if they are both setup to hand out DHCP then you can get IP conflicts.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:10 PM   #52
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Yes but if they are both setup to hand out DHCP then you can get IP conflicts.
Yes they were setup that way. But with completely different IP address ranges. So conflicts were never a possibility. Plus I use non standard IP addresses for my home network.(ie. 221.214.xx.xxx). I've been using those since the late 90's without issue.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:19 PM   #53
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryFarpolo View Post
LOL..Why? The "activation code", I refer to is the TSN required in the activation process. In my short post, I did not say I needed a cablecard. I simply cited my provider. Still confused??
Your terminology confused me.

A TSN is the TiVo service number, a serial number; not an activation code.
An activation code (in FiOS language) is the 5 or 6 digit code they give you to self-install a cable card, which was implied when you mentioned your provider, not a TSN.

So I was confused when you "mentioned" a cable card and activation code when referring to a Mini, because you need the cable card and activation code to set up a DVR. To set up the Mini, I presume you only need the TSN and Media Access Key.
TiVo HDXL
TiVo HD
Old 03-13-2013, 06:51 PM   #54
Gromit

Now that I have MoCA up and running, I may replace the 2nd Airport Extreme with a switch. I just hooked it up because I had it and I wanted to get everything connected after moving in.

On the other hand, it works and if I replace it with a switch I'll just put it in a closet to collect dust.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:52 PM   #55
lew

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
In response to the RTFM comments, it's 2013. I don't expect to have to pick up the phone or go to a website to get something to work. At a minimum the device could have had a screen in the guided setup that indicated that activation prior to starting the guided setup was a requirement.

It's also worth noting that even after activating it still did not work until a bunch of other hoops were jumped through.
You don't expect to have to read directions either. I frequently like to "wing it" but I wouldn't complain if I didn't correctly guess the correct installation procedure.

Quote:
Configuring a router as an access point (bridge mode?) makes sense. I was able to use an old router (flashed with dd-wrt firmware) as free way to get good wireless with a tivo. It took a few minutes to convince the FiOS installer that the box labeled as a router, connected to my tivo, wasn't really a router.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:58 PM   #56
jmpage2

2nd TiVo Mini went much smoother. Total setup 10-15 minutes including boot up. Clearly pre-activation is the way to go.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:18 PM   #57
aaronwt
HD Addict

10 to 15 minutes sounds pretty good.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:12 AM   #58
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

According to UPS, mine's on the truck for delivery today. I can't wait to get home from work and check it out! Hopefully setup is smooth. I actually got the welcome e-mail last night, and it specifically shows the welcome poster in the box with regards to enabling a tuner for use on the host DVR.
TiVo HDXL
TiVo HD
Old 03-14-2013, 06:17 AM   #59
jjd_87

Quote:
According to UPS, mine's on the truck for delivery today. I can't wait to get home from work and check it out! Hopefully setup is smooth. I actually got the welcome e-mail last night, and it specifically shows the welcome poster in the box with regards to enabling a tuner for use on the host DVR.
Me too! I'm excited to get home and check it out!
jjd_87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:15 PM   #60
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Today is the day you get to see a unicorn.