TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-12-2013, 06:47 PM   #31
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambertman View Post
Second Doctor story "Tomb of the Cybermen" coming up on Feb 24:

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2013/02...ed-on-bbc.html
Damn. One of the few that are available free on amazon prime.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #32
cheesesteak
Meh.

I watched the second special and was surprised to see a black actor on mid 60s British tv. Of course, he only had about two lines and one of them was something like "Grrrrrr!!!" There may have been others but Tomb Of The Cybermen was the only instance of seeing a black character on classic Doctor Who that I can remember.

This was my first episode with Victoria. She was cute but pretty useless. "Gee, let me stand inside the cyber waffle iron."

The cybermen got better as the series went on. These guys were slow and boring in their rubber suits.

It was kind of funny that the rocket ship pilot had an American accent and was cocky.

Hail Hydra!
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #33
Gerryex

I'm following the various Dr Who threads but I thought this comment would be best here.

I know I'm showing my age but I started watching Dr Who live when it was new to the US in the 70s with Tom Baker as the Dr. I've seen all the previous Dr episodes (except for the William Hartnell ones as many of them were "history lessons" which I didn't care for) when they were rebroadcast. Then I watched all the other Drs live and started again with the re-boot with Eccleston as the Dr. So for all intents and purposes I've seen all the Dr Who episodes.

In my humble opinion the best Dr of them all was Tom Baker. And the best companion was Sara Jane Smith (with a close second by Leela and her sexy outfit!).

Gerry
Gerryex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:19 PM   #34
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryex View Post
I started watching Dr Who live when it was new to the US in the 70s with Tom Baker as the Dr.

In my humble opinion the best Dr of them all was Tom Baker.
That's the typical stereotype of Doctor Who fans. "Your first Doctor is the best Doctor"

--Carlos "It's 'the Doctor', not 'Dr." V.
Unbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #35
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Lightbulb

If you have access to Comcast OnDemand, the first two episodes of the Doctors Revisited is available there.

Last I checked, the first 40 minutes of the first DW and the entire 2nd DW special is available in HD.

In non-HD, the first DW special is in two parts...and is missing some content at the end of it. The second DW special appears to be there fine...although here it is mislabeled.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Share an online coupon here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DianaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:32 PM   #36
mattack

Quote:
In my humble opinion the best Dr of them all was Tom Baker. And the best companion was Sara Jane Smith (with a close second by Leela and her sexy outfit!).
*Which* Leela?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:37 AM   #37
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post

*Which* Leela?
Hmm? There was only one Leela.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:04 AM   #38
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

There was the Leela who appeared on TV, and the Leela that appeared in my some people's heads...

By the way, Louise Jameson is hinting that she might be participating in the 50th Anniversary in some way...

Old 03-01-2013, 07:09 AM   #39
lambertman
How'd I get this old

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Hmm? There was only one Leela.
He's thinking of Romana, likely.

and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:12 AM   #40
cheesesteak
Meh.

Leela was in the first Doctor Who episode I ever saw - The Talons of Weng-Chiang. That was the episode with the Peking Homunculus.

Hail Hydra!
Old 03-01-2013, 09:14 AM   #41
caslu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
There was the Leela who appeared on TV, and the Leela that appeared in my some people's heads...

By the way, Louise Jameson is hinting that she might be participating in the 50th Anniversary in some way...

The Leela in my head still looks like your photo but Louise Jameson... sadly, not so much. Still, would be nice to see how married life has treated the warrior of the Sevateem.
caslu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:54 PM   #42
Gerryex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbeliever View Post
That's the typical stereotype of Doctor Who fans. "Your first Doctor is the best Doctor"
I guess you're right but there's no denying that Tom Baker was Dr Who for the most number of seasons and therefore had the most number of different companions.

EDIT: I just checked and it seems that the 10th Dr (David Tennant) actually had more companions than Tom Baker. But Baker still holds the record for the number of seasons as the Dr!!

Gerry
Old 03-01-2013, 06:04 PM   #43
TonyD79

Quote:

I guess you're right but there's no denying that Tom Baker was Dr Who for the most number of seasons and therefore had the most number of different companions.

EDIT: I just checked and it seems that the 10th Dr (David Tennant) actually had more companions than Tom Baker. But Baker still holds the record for the number of seasons as the Dr!!

Gerry
That's mostly cause they consider one offs like Kylie Minogue a companion. That's tough for me. I don't think Kylie ever set foot in the TARDIS.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:22 PM   #44
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambertman View Post
He's thinking of Romana, likely.
ARGGGGH!!!!!

and of course, the only one that matters is Romana II.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:20 AM   #45
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
ARGGGGH!!!!!

and of course, the only one that matters is Romana II.
Actually, I prefer Romana I.

I've been watching some Jon Pertwee episodes. Jo Grant was hot.

Hail Hydra!
Old 03-02-2013, 12:28 PM   #46
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Actually, I prefer Romana I.

Tom Baker didn't.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #47
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Tom Baker didn't.
Well, we don't KNOW that.

Maybe he settled.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:42 PM   #48
TonyD79

Quote:
Well, we don't KNOW that.

Maybe he settled.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:38 AM   #49
Gerryex

I'm almost finished watching the show on the 2nd Dr and am enjoying the classic episode much more than the one from the 1st Dr, which was more of a history lesson than Sci Fi. I have a question which is probably more retorical than answerable and just in case I'll put it in a spoiler.

Spoiler:
This episode is about the Cybermen and an expedition to their tomb. The Dr and party join the expedition and the Dr knows that it involves the Cybermen BUT he actually helps them open the hatch leading down to the tomb. Why would he do such a thing and possibly awaken the Cybermen whereas if he didn't help them they would have never gotten to revive the Cybermen!

Gerry
Old 03-13-2013, 01:22 PM   #50
Langree
The Gimp

The "history lesson" was the original vision and intent for Doctor Who.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #51
Gerryex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree View Post
The "history lesson" was the original vision and intent for Doctor Who.
Yes, I know but as I Sci Fi fan I really didn't care for those original episodes and much more prefer those with the later Drs.

Gerry
Old 04-02-2013, 05:38 AM   #52
cheesesteak
Meh.

I really enjoyed the third special about Jon Pertwee's stint as the Doctor. As I've said before, I never really cared about the first two Doctors. Tom Baker was my first and favorite and Pertwee is my second favorite classic Doctor. He was more of an action hero Doctor than any of the others.

I don't remember seeing this Terror Of The Autons episode before, so that was an added benefit. My favorite part of this special was the brief segment on Roger Delgado as The Master. His Master was cool, debonair and a Van Dyke sportin' smooove operator. I've always loved the way he played The Master. The clownish, insane Master from the Tennant era is an abomination as far as I'm concerned.

Hail Hydra!
Old 04-03-2013, 02:37 AM   #53
Church AV Guy

I was actually quit disappointed that they chose "Spearhead from Space" as the episode. It was his first episode, so there was THAT, but he really hadn't "grown" into the part, and it didn't have Jo, or the Master.

They didn't mention Elisabeth Sladen, which was odd as she was his companion for season 11 (his last of five seasons).

While I am puzzling about what was included and excluded, I the show just before this one, "The Doctor's Companions," there was not but a mention of Donna Nobel. While I thought she was my least favorite of the companions, all were good, and her exclusion was, well, ood. Even if she was unavailable, they should have talked about her, you know, the Doctor-Donna and all.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:59 AM   #54
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
They didn't mention Elisabeth Sladen, which was odd as she was his companion for season 11 (his last of five seasons).

While I am puzzling about what was included and excluded, I the show just before this one, "The Doctor's Companions," there was not but a mention of Donna Nobel. While I thought she was my least favorite of the companions, all were good, and her exclusion was, well, ood. Even if she was unavailable, they should have talked about her, you know, the Doctor-Donna and all.
I noticed Sarah Jane's absence as well. I assume they're saving her for Tom Baker's special.

Was the Doctor's Companion's special just about the companions of the reboot?

Hail Hydra!
Old 04-03-2013, 09:33 AM   #55
tiassa
Me --Avatar

Quote:
I noticed Sarah Jane's absence as well. I assume they're saving her for Tom Baker's special.
That's my feeling as well, it will also show some of the progression in companion style.

Quote:
Was the Doctor's Companion's special just about the companions of the reboot?
Yeah, pretty much
tiassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:53 PM   #56
Craigbob

I'm finding these Dr. Revisited and the companions somewhat disappointing. I was hoping for more about the companions pre 2005. But they all seem to get the short shrift. I hadn't seen a lot of Dr. Who pre 2005 (pretty limited to the 4th Dr. when I could find them as a kid).

So getting the history is something I've been looking forward to. <SIGH>
Old 04-11-2013, 01:03 AM   #57
Church AV Guy

Well the Companions special that ran recently was only about the ones that have been since the reboot. Sarah Jane was on one episode with Tenant so she got a mention (and her own show) bit it was about the companions SINCE Rose. They didn't mention Donna though, which I found odd.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Old 04-11-2013, 06:18 AM   #58
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

This is about Doctors Revisited, which has only been about the first three Doctors (so far).

I think the only companion they've really given short shrift to is Sarah Jane, who as mentioned will be covered in the Tom Baker episode. Remember, they only have about 45 minutes of air time (barely a half-hour of real time) to cover every aspect of several years' worth of the show. So everything's going to be pretty superficial, and it's realistic that they spend most of that time on the Doctor himself.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #59
Church AV Guy

Quote:
This is about Doctors Revisited, which has only been about the first three Doctors (so far).

I think the only companion they've really given short shrift to is Sarah Jane, who as mentioned will be covered in the Tom Baker episode. Remember, they only have about 45 minutes of air time (barely a half-hour of real time) to cover every aspect of several years' worth of the show. So everything's going to be pretty superficial, and it's realistic that they spend most of that time on the Doctor himself.
Yeah, and when they get to the next doctor, Tom Baker, it will be a stretch since he played the Doctor over a seven-year period, from 1974 to 1981. That's a lot of ground to cover in a half hour of screen time. What episode do you think they'll feature for him? There were a lot, and a lot of pretty good ones.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:28 PM   #60
lambertman
How'd I get this old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
Yeah, and when they get to the next doctor, Tom Baker, it will be a stretch since he played the Doctor over a seven-year period, from 1974 to 1981. That's a lot of ground to cover in a half hour of screen time. What episode do you think they'll feature for him? There were a lot, and a lot of pretty good ones.
Doctor Who News Page seems to have spilled the beans that it will be
Spoiler:
Pyramids of Mars ...because it's on the upcoming DVD.

and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote