TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:22 AM   #1
dsnotgood

How to get just audio out of a/v jack of mini

Since my tv only has a hdmi port which doesn't do audio...I needed a AV cable which had RCAs on one end and 3.5mm jack on the other. I found a old camcorder cable which had a 3.5mm jack on one end and 2 RCAs on the other, a yellow one for video and a black one for audio. Initially when I pugged this into the mini and into the red/white ports on the TV...I got static on one channel.

After some fiddling...I found if I half inserted the plug into the mini both channels would work just fine. Just thought I'd share this and Save someone the expense of buying yet another Cable. This half inserted trick may also work if you use a 3.5mm to red/white RCAs cable as well.

dsnotgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:26 AM   #2
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

HOLY INNUENDO BATMAN!

TiVo HDXL
TiVo HD
Retired: TiVo Series 2 ST, Philips Series 1 HDR212
NotNowChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 01:55 PM   #3
Oreo10

I was having this same issue and your idea has made it work. Very weird, having the Audio Y cable close to in but not all the way eliminates all the static from the headphones I was trying to play audio through. Old post but thanks!

Oreo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:13 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
That may not work. The ground is either the tip or the collar, can't remember, but in both cases if you only "half insert it" the ground wont be making contact. The audio may work but without the ground it'll be susceptible to interference and ground loop issues.

You can buy an actual A/V cable that will work for like $5 on eBay. (shipped)

Also when you say you have an HDMI port that doesn't do audio do you mean a DVI port? Or is your TV just not capable of doing AC3 audio? If it's just not able to do AC3 then you can go into settings and change the audio to PCM and that will likely work.

Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:32 PM   #5
Oreo10

Well in my case I have an hdmi to the TV but want to plug in headphones separately for just audio so I used the audio Y cable in addition to the hdmi cable which works fine separately.

I tried switching from dolby to PCM audio and doesn't make any change for the headphones. The only thing that works is the "halfway inserted" method, otherwise there is so much static through the headphones they cannot be used. I'm just as surprised this is a "fix" but it is in this case, an option for others to try if they have this issue.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:07 PM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
In that case you need to use the jack, but doing it the way you're doing it can cause issues. As I said when you half insert it like that you're not allowing the ground portion of the plug to touch which can cause issues. It might even lead to a situation where you blow out the port if you happen to shock the headphone with static electricity.

I'd highly recommend getting the proper plug. You can then attach it to something like this for your headphones...

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-1071.../dp/B00DJAAFVW

Edit: This cable will work and it's cheaper then buying the set from TiVo

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-WD-W...-/371085459053

Connect it to the adapter I posted above and you'll have a headphone jack that's safe to use.

Last edited by Dan203; 01-12-2015 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:24 PM   #7
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Your TV doesn't have a headphone jack?

Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:29 PM   #8
Oreo10

These are what I am using now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/400720055445...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

So the links to the stuff you just posted Dan, you think will work better than that?

And, Arcady, my TV does have audio out but for whatever reason every so often when using the headphones (wireless) the connection drops causing this very loud static noise that isn't very pleasant. Only way around it I found was plugging them into the source device like the TiVo itself.

Old 01-13-2015, 03:43 AM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreo10 View Post
These are what I am using now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/400720055445...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

So the links to the stuff you just posted Dan, you think will work better than that?
Yes. The TiVo jack is meant for audio and video, so the port has 4 rings. The audio adapter you posted only has 3. So when you insert it part way you line up the audio rings, which is why you get sound, but you're preventing the ground from making contact, which is dangerous. That being said I assumed you needed 3.5mm for your headphones. If you just need RCA then using the eBay one I posted all by itself should be fine. You don't need the extra 3.5mm adapter from Amazon. And when you hook it up use the red and white cables and just leave the yellow one hanging. That's the video and you don't need it.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:28 AM   #10
Oreo10

Got it, ordered a composite av cable and will give that a try. Thanks for the help Dan!