TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-13-2013, 01:22 AM   #1
dsnotgood

Cool Trick to get full screen on 4:3 tvs with HD menus

So as we all know...mini does not come with SD menus . Normally I wouldn't care but I am using it on a older HDTV that is 4:3 aspect ratio and I didn't like the letter boxing on all the channels.

I discovered this by accident but if you want the full screen taken up...do this.

Goto settings and goto change resolution. Then goto "test resolutions". When it gets to 420p, hit thumbs up so it confirms that setting, then when it cycles thru 720p and the other settings..DO NOT THUMBS UP them. Just wait till it finishes cycling through. After its done...only 420p should be selected and the tivo will still use the Hd menus but it will now take up the whole screen instead of letter boxing.
dsnotgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:46 AM   #2
HarperVision

Yeah but you're also down-converting all your 720p and 1080i/p content to 480p when you view those channels as well as the guide. Is it worth the trade off just to get full screen menus?
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:48 AM   #3
dsnotgood

It's not just menus...the channels now take up the full screen instead of letter boxing.
dsnotgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:52 AM   #4
aaronwt
HD Addict

Some people can't stand letterboxing. My GF is one of them and would always have the picture zoomed in when she used her S3 with an SD set. I always used letterbox content when available when I had SD sets.

But it doesn't even matter now for my GF since she has her S3 boxes connected to HDTVs now. I know HD has come a long ways since every one in her family has an HD set now. And years they all didn't want to have anything to do with HD.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:32 PM   #5
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnotgood View Post
It's not just menus...the channels now take up the full screen instead of letter boxing.
That's exactly what I'm saying and asking. Do you think it's worth it to down-convert your HD resolutions to 480p, and apparently based in your answer, you are. That's fine, it's your decision I just wanted it to be clear for anyone else trying this to know the trade offs.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote