TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-10-2013, 05:19 AM   #1
Nada

Bootpage access for upgradesoftware

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how to access the bootpage. I have done all of the backups with WinMFS Live using a PATA to USB connection (external hd kit). Now I want to edit the bootpage and add "upgradesoftware=false". I thought that I could do this with WinMFS but I can't seem to find out how to do it.

Do I need to install Debian?--Just to add one little parameter.

Can't I just I copy the bootpage backup that I made with WinMFS and add "upgradesoftware=false" after "root=/dev/hda7" using Notepad and restore that with WinMFS?
Nada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:47 PM   #2
lrhorer

Well, you could run bootpage from a live CD. Updating bootpage, however, will not prevent the TiVo from rebooting every morning in an attempt to implement the upgrade. There is also a limit to the amount of time that can pass before the unit will no longer be able to get schedule updates on an old software rev.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:12 AM   #3
Nada

Thank you. I tried making one with Knoppix but I only got a flashing cursor. I will try Ubuntu tomorrow.

Would fakecall.tcl stop the phoning attempts? -- I do want it to get the correct time once and a while just not upgrade the software version.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:47 PM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nada View Post
Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how to access the bootpage. I have done all of the backups with WinMFS Live using a PATA to USB connection (external hd kit). Now I want to edit the bootpage and add "upgradesoftware=false". I thought that I could do this with WinMFS but I can't seem to find out how to do it.

Do I need to install Debian?--Just to add one little parameter.

Can't I just I copy the bootpage backup that I made with WinMFS and add "upgradesoftware=false" after "root=/dev/hda7" using Notepad and restore that with WinMFS?
Even if there's nothing in a text file but a single character, I think Notepad is going to store it as a minumum of 1k in size.

You probably need to do it with a hex editor.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:12 AM   #5
ronsch

If I remember correctly, and that's always a big IF, I believe I always update bootpage from a telnet session while the drive is running in the TiVo using the bootpage command.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:11 PM   #6
Nada

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
....You probably need to do it with a hex editor.
I gave up on editing the file in a separate editor. I think that I have changed the bootpage although I haven't put the HD back in the TiVo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsch View Post
...I always update bootpage from a telnet session while the drive is running in the TiVo using the bootpage command.
I hope that can get this hacking done without telnet-ing but I will if there is no other way. I've used telnet with non-Tivo stuff and it was a pain. I finally used MFSLive Linux Boot CD with seeming success. Tonight I will try to create and/or edit the rc.sysinit.author file.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:59 PM   #7
Soapm

If your tivo is hacked, why do you need to remove the drive to change the bootpage parameter? You should be able to do it via telnet.
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:11 AM   #8
Nada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
If your tivo is hacked, why do you need to remove the drive to change the bootpage parameter? You should be able to do it via telnet.
The Tivo is not hacked. This is my first time hacking it and I don't like using telnet so I pulled it and I am working on it as an external drive.