TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 72 votes, 4.74 average.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:36 PM   #31
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvn View Post
I have a high band splitter sending the signal to two Premieres downstairs and one feed to the attic, with no issues. From the attic, I would like to feed a premiere and more than two Minis, so I tried to use a 1x4 high band, it wouldn't work. It passed the MOCA but signal on Premiere #3 cablecard was zero. When I switched to a 1X2 1000mhz it worked. Again, albeit only for two rooms. I will try to find a 1x3 1000mhz to see if that will work.

Incoming feed>5-2400mhz splitter (1x2)>Premiere 1 & 5-2400 splitter (1X2)>Premiere 2 & attic>1000mhz splitter (1x2)>Living Room and 1 bedroom. Would like to change to 1X3 splitter to feed two bedrooms.

Any insight would be appreciated. I'll keep expreimenting with different splitters in the attic.
If I'm reading and understanding this right it sounds to me like this is a signal strength issue unrelated to MoCA or frequency bands.
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:57 PM   #32
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
I having no problem going through two 4 way splitters to my amp.

Setup: 8 way output two way amp (Viewsonics VSMA608C-10R 8-Port), one of the outputs get the Moca directly from a TP-4 another amp output goes through 2, 4 way splitters and the Moca gets to a TP-4 at the end of the 2nd 4 way splitter. There is about 75 feet of RG6 on each run.
The MoCA Alliance recommends recommends having only a single layer of splitters beyond the root splitter. In your scenario the root splitter is your 8 port amp. Can't tell by the way you've described it if your 4-way splitters are on the same layer or cascaded with one branching off of the other?

In any event, it's academic. If it works, it works. Just because it's not MoCA-recommended doesn't mean it won't work.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:29 PM   #33
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
The MoCA Alliance recommends recommends having only a single layer of splitters beyond the root splitter. In your scenario the root splitter is your 8 port amp. Can't tell by the way you've described it if your 4-way splitters are on the same layer or cascaded with one branching off of the other?

In any event, it's academic. If it works, it works. Just because it's not MoCA-recommended doesn't mean it won't work.
The 4 way splitters are cascaded, it is for the cellar and used a test center so I did not know if it would work, did not care as I had a RJ45 in the same place, just for fun I did try it, and Moca did work, so I am going past a 8 way splitter in the amp than 2 more 4 way splitters (good grade ones to 1000Mhz) and it worked, but I only had about 150 feet of RJ6 cable, don't know if the cable got to over 300 feet if I would have had any problems.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #34
johnmsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Or you can connect the Premiere to the router via Ethernet or Wifi and then enable MoCa bridging on the Premiere. For this scenario the Mini and Premiere will still talk to one another over MoCa, but all internet traffic will travel through the Premiere and to the router via the Ethernet or WiFi connection. This should still be a supported setup, even with WiFi, because only the internet traffic will be traveling over the WiFi connection. The actual streaming and UI portion of the Mini will be talking to the Premiere via MoCa.
Ordered my Mini from TiVo this morning. I've been reading everything I can find about setting it up since then. I believe the quote above answers my question, but want to be sure.

My home network is Ethernet, and I have a DSL internet connection. The XL4 is hardwired to the network. When I setup the Mini, I plan to use MoCA between it and the XL4. So, based on the quote above, will the Mini be able to get to the internet via the XL4?
johnmsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:37 PM   #35
Dan203
Super Moderator

Yes. You just need to enable MoCa bridging in the XL4's network configuration menu and the mini will be able to talk to the internet through the XL4's Ethernet connection.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:21 PM   #36
johnmsch

Sweet! Thanks Dan. I'll post back here once I've set it up and can confirm it works.
johnmsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:04 PM   #37
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

I posted this in another thread, but thought it would be more appropriate here.

Has anyone looked at their network status of their Mini to see the MoCA speeds?

My Mini's MoCA status had transmit and receive rates of 240 and 245 Mbps. Is that actually how fast it's working? I thought MoCA 1.1 was limited to around 170 Mbps?
Old 03-12-2013, 10:07 PM   #38
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmedic View Post
I posted this in another thread, but thought it would be more appropriate here.

Has anyone looked at their network status of their Mini to see the MoCA speeds?

My Mini's MoCA status had transmit and receive rates of 240 and 245 Mbps. Is that actually how fast it's working? I thought MoCA 1.1 was limited to around 170 Mbps?
And where did you look to see the speed, is that only on the Mini itself as I never seen it on the TP-4 with Moca enabled.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:16 PM   #39
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

Settings -> Network -> Network Status
Old 03-12-2013, 10:22 PM   #40
tvn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
If I'm reading and understanding this right it sounds to me like this is a signal strength issue unrelated to MoCA or frequency bands.
You are 100% correct. MOCA is working everywhere but upstairs bedrooms have poor signal strength. Odd that WGN Superstation and a few others like CNN HD, HBO, and Showtime come in perfectly, but others are Searching For Signal. Even locals won't come in. Do we know of an amplifier that won't upset MOCA? I don't want to call Comcast since they'll start interpreting my multi room setup and add extra outlets to my multiple Tivos.
tvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:37 PM   #41
lessd

Quote:
Settings -> Network -> Network Status
On which unit, the Mini or the TP-4, I know how to get to network status but I don't have a Mini yet, but I am using Moca and have two TP-4s and two TP with external Moca adapters.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:41 PM   #42
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
On which unit, the Mini or the TP-4, I know how to get to network status but I don't have a Mini yet, but I am using Moca and have two TP-4s and two TP with external Moca adapters.
On the Mini.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:56 PM   #43
lessd

Quote:
On the Mini.
Thanks, I will have to wait until I get my Mini.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:35 PM   #44
BigJimOutlaw

MoCA 1.1 has a max PHY rate of 270, though the actual data rate is lower. But a strong phy rate means a strong data rate.

General rule of thumb in case of any future troubleshooting... A moca 1.1 PHY rate over 200 is solid. Under 200 can mean there's a weak or damaged connection somewhere, but it still may work if it's not too bad. (I stress I'm not referring to data transfer rates. Those will be lower.)

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 03-13-2013 at 12:19 AM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:50 AM   #45
Dan203
Super Moderator

Hmmm... according to my Elite the PHY rate between it and my MoCa bridge is 190 ish. Guess my signal is not as strong as it could be.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:12 AM   #46
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Hmmm... according to my Elite the PHY rate between it and my MoCa bridge is 190 ish. Guess my signal is not as strong as it could be.
Could be a bit stronger, yes. Naturally as long as packet errors are low and you're not having any real-world problems (buffering, video errors, etc.) then that's what will count with Tivo devices.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:36 AM   #47
jfh3

Is there any reason I can't/shouldn't install a MoCA adapter inline between the cable entry point and a whole house splitter (which has a separate leg for the modem), rather than put the adapter between the coax jack on the wall and the Mini?

This would assume I'm using a MoCA enabled Elite that also has an Ethernet connection to a switch or router.

- Premiere (2TB) x2 (both for sale - PM me)
- Elite XL4 (for sale)
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:58 AM   #48
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3 View Post
Is there any reason I can't/shouldn't install a MoCA adapter inline between the cable entry point and a whole house splitter (which has a separate leg for the modem), rather than put the adapter between the coax jack on the wall and the Mini?

This would assume I'm using a MoCA enabled Elite that also has an Ethernet connection to a switch or router.
Not sure I follow that setup, but if the Elite is using an ethernet connection, you wouldn't need a moca adapter. If the Elite's coax can reach the Mini's coax, the Elite's ethernet connection is the only connection necessary. (Option #1 in the OP.)
Old 03-13-2013, 09:33 AM   #49
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvn View Post
You are 100% correct. MOCA is working everywhere but upstairs bedrooms have poor signal strength. Odd that WGN Superstation and a few others like CNN HD, HBO, and Showtime come in perfectly, but others are Searching For Signal. Even locals won't come in. Do we know of an amplifier that won't upset MOCA? I don't want to call Comcast since they'll start interpreting my multi room setup and add extra outlets to my multiple Tivos.
As long as your MoCA network is all on the output side of the amplifier I don't think it would matter what type of amplifier you use. Now, if you're using an amp on one part of your network but not another, such that you need the MoCA signal to pass through the amp, I think there are certain bi-directional amps that would work for that, but I don't have any personal experience with any of them.

I have an 8+ year old amp and my MoCA network is all on the output side of it and works fine. The MoCA signals will pass from port to port through the splitter part of the amp, but probably not back upstream through the input side of the amp.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:34 AM   #50
Gromit

My minis will be delivered later today but I wanted to go ahead and enable MoCA on my XL4. In the network status menu, it's showing that MoCA is down. Is this normal with just the XL4 active in my home?

Here's my setup -

Cable modem in office, connected to an Airport Extreme router.
In the living room, I have another Airport Extreme serving as a wireless bridge. The XL4 is connected to this router. It can connect to the internet.
Coax is connected to the XL4 for the Comcast signal.

The plan is to use a mini in the bedroom, using MoCA.

I realize that the wireless part might be an issue for the mini. It's an N network, but I may have to go pure MoCA to get good performance.

But shouldn't my XL4 show MoCA as active?

Edit: Or is the top part of the network status page, the "Ethernet/MoCA (Bridged)" part, the only thing I should be worried about? It's the "MoCA Details" part that is showing down.

Sorry, maybe I should wait until the mini gets here before I worry about this.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:40 AM   #51
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
My minis will be delivered later today but I wanted to go ahead and enable MoCA on my XL4. In the network status menu, it's showing that MoCA is down. Is this normal with just the XL4 active in my home?

Here's my setup -

Cable modem in office, connected to an Airport Extreme router.
In the living room, I have another Airport Extreme serving as a wireless bridge. The XL4 is connected to this router. It can connect to the internet.
Coax is connected to the XL4 for the Comcast signal.

The plan is to use a mini in the bedroom, using MoCA.

I realize that the wireless part might be an issue for the mini. It's an N network, but I may have to go pure MoCA to get good performance.

But shouldn't my XL4 show MoCA as active?
It's probably not going to show as active if there is no other device on your network connected via MoCA. Check back after you connect your Mini.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:59 PM   #52
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
Could be a bit stronger, yes. Naturally as long as packet errors are low and you're not having any real-world problems (buffering, video errors, etc.) then that's what will count with Tivo devices.
240 over here
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:06 PM   #53
rmpearl

So tried to set up my Mini last night and ran into some trouble with setting it up via MoCA. The Mini didn't recogonize the MoCA network at all. I tried a couple basic troubleshooting steps (checking the connections, resetting the MoCA adapter, power cycling the router and cable modem) but still wasn't able to figure it out.

I am hoping someone will be able to lend me their expertise. Current Setup:
- Actiontec MoCA Adapter (From Tivo)
- Tivo XL4
- Tivo Stream
- Tivo Mini (in a bedroom nowhere near the router)

Cable comes from wall and feeds into the MoCA Adapter. The MoCA Adapter then feeds into a 3 way splitter. One coax goes into a cable modem, one goes into a Cisco TA, and the last one goes into the XL4. Before I introduced the Mini everything was working great. The XL4 was receving internet thru coax and supplied the connection to the Stream thru the ethernet port. Based on the OP I may have set this up incorrectly or I should be using the XL4 to bridge the connection for the Mini instead of the Stream.

The other thing that I noticed after checking out Tivo's support pages and this forum is that my PHY is really low (in the 70s and 80s) where it needs to be high 100s. If I change the set up to use the XL4 as a bridge to the mini (as described in the OP) will this effect my PHY.

I ended up using the Tivo Wireless N adapter to set up the Mini. By the time it was thru guided setup I just changed a couple channels to verify that it would work but didn't play around with it much last night. From what I did see the picture seemed to be very good quality. I can use the Wireless adapter as an interim solution until I get the MoCA figured out.

Any help that can be provided is greatly appreciated.
rmpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:43 PM   #54
compnurd

At what point does the Moca Adaptor plug into the Router? Can the Xl4 be ethernet wired into the router?
Old 03-13-2013, 01:55 PM   #55
rmpearl

There is an ethernet cable that runs from the Actiontec adapter to the router to provide the internet connection.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:56 PM   #56
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmpearl View Post
So tried to set up my Mini last night and ran into some trouble with setting it up via MoCA. The Mini didn't recogonize the MoCA network at all. I tried a couple basic troubleshooting steps (checking the connections, resetting the MoCA adapter, power cycling the router and cable modem) but still wasn't able to figure it out. .
Do you even need the MoCa adapter? Is the XL4 in the same room as your router? If so then you just need to connect the XL4 to the router using Ethernet, then go into the TiVo Network setup and enable the MoCa+Ethernet option, and then connect the Mini to the coax.

Now if your XL4 is not in the same room as your router then you have it hooked up wrong. What you want to do is connect the MoCa adapter to a coax somewhere near your router. Then connect the Ethernet port on the MoCa adapter to one of the LAN ports on your router. Now go to the TiVo and switch to MoCa+Ethernet configuration and for the Mini simply connect to coax and select MoCa.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #57
rmpearl

I hooked it up this way because I was trying to use the XL4 as a bridge to the Stream. I think I am going to do what the OP suggested and run the ethernet to the XL4 and then switch the Tivo to MoCA+Ethernet and see if the Mini works then. I will run the stream to the router on a separate CAT6 cable. I will just have to drop my Xbox off the router and run it off of wireless. Will report back.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:32 PM   #58
leiff

I have a setup question here:
I have a mini/ moca adapter on route from TiVo to be delivered this week. My xl4 is in my main tv room which also has my popbox movie player. Both these devices require wired speeds, so I plan on using moca for xl4 and Ethernet bridge out of xl4 for my popbox. My office room where my router is, is where I'll be placing mini. Since mini is right next to both coax/ Ethernet ports does it matter which I use for mini?
leiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:41 PM   #59
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmpearl View Post
I hooked it up this way because I was trying to use the XL4 as a bridge to the Stream. I think I am going to do what the OP suggested and run the ethernet to the XL4 and then switch the Tivo to MoCA+Ethernet and see if the Mini works then. I will run the stream to the router on a separate CAT6 cable. I will just have to drop my Xbox off the router and run it off of wireless. Will report back.
You can buy a network switch for like $10 and get more ports. A network switch is basically like a Ethernet splitter. You connect one port on the switch to one port on your router and all the other ports on the switch can then talk to the router.

I have a TON of networked devices in my house using a mix of Ethernet, MoCa and powerline networking and they can all talk to each other. It's actually pretty simple once you wrap your head around how to wire it all together,
Old 03-13-2013, 02:52 PM   #60
compnurd

Quote:
You can buy a network switch for like $10 and get more ports. A network switch is basically like a Ethernet splitter. You connect one port on the switch to one port on your router and all the other ports on the switch can then talk to the router.

I have a TON of networked devices in my house using a mix of Ethernet, MoCa and powerline networking and they can all talk to each other. It's actually pretty simple once you wrap your head around how to wire it all together,
Yeh I agree. Pick up a switch if you need more ports.. but i would get rid of that moca adaptor and use the XL4 as a bridge. I started doing that this week. Kicks ass