TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-12-2013, 07:34 PM   #211
caroth

OK, here is my unboxing and hookup experience

First of all my setup:
  • Tivo XL4 with a tuning adapter hardwired into a switch which is hardwired into a router. One tuner configured to use the Tivo mini (and yes, that tuner is dedicated to the Tivo mini live TV and cannot be used by the XL4 at all. You do NOT need to allocate a tuner to the Tivo mini if you don't want to watch live TV on it)
  • Tivo HD connected to the router wirelessly
  • Tivo Mini hardwired into a switch which is hardwired into a router

I hooked up the Tivo mini. It's boot time was almost as long as the XL4's, which is amazing. Only Tivo engineers can manage to have something boot that slow off a chip. Guess they are having it calculate pi to the 10,000th digit as it boots.

Went through a guided setup similar to the XL4s but minus the ZIP code and cable company configuration. At the end of the setup, it was loading guide data, which took forever and made no sense since it's using the guide data off the XL4 from what I can tell (keep reading and that'll make sense to you).

Set up my remote to control the TV, named the Tivo mini and all that other fun little stuff.

Main menu claimed my XL4 could no longer be found. I unplugged the network cable and plugged in another straight from the router (so bypassing the switch). I get a message that I no longer have internet connectivity and it didn't go away even after I plugged in the network cable again. Found a place to have it test my connection. It went through the test and then hung at the last step "Disconnecting."

Found that somewhere along the lines I lost live TV on my XL4, everything else on it still worked. Could be an odd coincidence, but I'm guessing the Tivo Mini somehow jacked that up.

Rebooted the XL4. Power cycled the Tivo Mini (still hung at "Disconnecting).

All worked well, I could watch live TV and recorded shows, forward, rewind, everything with no apparent lag.

I wanted to post my experience on the forums and while I looked for a good place to do so, I found someone asking if the Tivo Mini played video off the USB port. Just for kicks I copied .AVI, .WMV, .MP4, .MPG and also a .JPG picture to a USB stick and plugged it into the Tivo mini. I got an error that the Tivo Mini does not support storage expansion and saw no way to browse or play the files off the USB stick (I checked under Photos as well to see if maybe you could show .JPG pictures, but no option for the USB stick there either).

Tivo Mini now gave me the error that it could not find the XL4, yet I was still able to watch live TV (but not recordings). When I tried to use the guide, it just gave me an error that it couldn't find the XL4 (which leads me to believe that it's using the XL4's guide, not it's own to where loading data when it connects should not be taking as long as it does).

I removed the USB stick, rebooted the Tivo Mini and no more error. Tried several channels of LiveTV, then noticed that I didn't have the switched channels.

Checked the XL4, sure enough, no switched channels. Rebooted tuning adapter (guess I should have done that when I rebooted the XL4 earlier, but tuning adapter reboots can be such a pain).

Tivo Mini gave an error that the XL4 was doing something using all it's tuners (makes sense for a tuning adapter reboot). Then I was back to it not being able to find the XL4 (UGH!!!). Rebooted the Tivo Mini, all seems well.

I tried some switched channels, apps and Live365 streaming radio off the mini without issues.

I have the suggestion banner on the top enabled on my XL4. I don't see an option to disable that on the Tivo Mini, so it must take over the setting from the XL4 for that. Since the Tivo Mini doesn't come with Netflix, I wondered what would happen if I tried to go into one of the suggestions it listed from Netflix. Want to guess?

If you guess that Tivo Mini no longer found the XL4 and required a reboot, you are a winner!

BTW, it can only Stream of the XL4. It sees my Tivo HD, but won't let me browse it or anything.

I'll use it some more and will let you guys know if I find out anything else, so far the losing connectivity to the XL4 when anything unusual happens and me having to reboot the Tivo mini seems to be the only major issue.

I guess you just have to watch what you select until they fix their bugs (I guess they had some lame beta testers for me to get the error as many times as I did and they didn't catch it in beta)...

03/13/2013 Update:
  • On subsequent service connections, I noticed that loading the guide data is much faster.
  • The mini downloaded and installed a service update last night. No message detailing the changes like there usually is on the regular Tivo boxes, I just know because I noticed that there was a pending restart and when I manually restarted, it applied the update.
  • Even after the update, the Mini intermittently kept giving me errors that it lost connection to the XL4 despite Live TV working fine. I tried static IP addresses for both which made no difference. I suspect that that rather than using the IP address to contact the XL4 directly, Tivo must use something broadcast-based for the heartbeat and maybe that's not always making it through my two switch/router setup.
  • This morning I changed over to a secure MoCA connection (I do not currently have a POE filter hooked up). During the setup, at first the Mini was acting as if it wasn't seeing the XL4. Then it saw the XL4, but claimed there was an issue connecting to the Tivo service. As before, a reboot fixed 'er up and I was able to use Live TV, Stream shows, use Live365, look at shows on the suggestion banner etc. My advice is definitely if you make any changes to the Mini configuration whatsoever, reboot it.

03/14/2013 Update:

Since switching over to MoCA, I've not received any more lost connection errors or other issues, so I guess I'll keep using encrypted MoCA rather than ethernet. Seems to work fine without a POE filter and I'm probably not going to install one since I don't need a performance boost and am worried that it could interfere with cable company communications (i.e. the tuning adapter communicating back to Time Warner to get a stream), so I'll go with "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Since I'm using encrypted MoCA, I don't have to worry about the MoCA signal making it to my neighbors and them streaming off my Tivo... ;-)

After than statement, I'm sure someone will tell me that there is a way to crack MoCA encryption, but based on what I'm using MoCA for and that there aren't many MoCA devices out there to where probably nobody else in a mile radius has one, I'm not too worried...

I hope my experiences above prove useful to somone and that either everything works for you right after you hook up the Tivo Mini or that you get any issues squared away quickly so you can enjoy your Tivo Mini. Good luck everyone!

This will be the final update unless I run into any major issues that just haven't manifested themselves yet.

Last edited by caroth : 03-14-2013 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Final Update
caroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:02 PM   #212
UCLABB

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroth View Post
First of all my setup:
  • Tivo XL4 with a tuning adapter hardwired into a switch which is hardwired into a router. One tuner configured to use the Tivo mini (and yes, that tuner is dedicated to the Tivo mini live TV and cannot be used by the XL4 at all. You do NOT need to allocate a tuner to the Tivo mini if you don't want to watch live TV on it)
  • Tivo HD connected to the router wirelessly
  • Tivo Mini hardwired into a switch which is hardwired into a router

I hooked up the Tivo mini. It's boot time was almost as long as the XL4's, which is amazing. Only Tivo engineers can manage to have something boot that slow off a chip. Guess they are having it calculate pi to the 10,000th digit as it boots.

Went through a guided setup similar to the XL4s but minus the ZIP code and cable company configuration. At the end of the setup, it was loading guide data, which took forever and made no sense since it's using the guide data off the XL4 from what I can tell (keep reading and that'll make sense to you).

Set up my remote to control the TV, named the Tivo mini and all that other fun little stuff.

Main menu claimed my XL4 could no longer be found. I unplugged the network cable and plugged in another straight from the router (so bypassing the switch). I get a message that I no longer have internet connectivity and it didn't go away even after I plugged in the network cable again. Found a place to have it test my connection. It went through the test and then hung at the last step "Disconnecting."

Found that somewhere along the lines I lost live TV on my XL4, everything else on it still worked. Could be an odd coincidence, but I'm guessing the Tivo Mini somehow jacked that up.

Rebooted the XL4. Power cycled the Tivo Mini (still hung at "Disconnecting).

All worked well, I could watch live TV and recorded shows, forward, rewind, everything with no apparent lag.

I wanted to post my experience on the forums and while I looked for a good place to do so, I found someone asking if the Tivo Mini played video off the USB port. Just for kicks I copied .AVI, .WMV, .MP4, .MPG and also a .JPG picture to a USB stick and plugged it into the Tivo mini. I got an error that the Tivo Mini does not support storage expansion and saw no way to browse or play the files off the USB stick (I checked under Photos as well to see if maybe you could show .JPG pictures, but no option for the USB stick there either).

Tivo Mini now gave me the error that it could not find the XL4, yet I was still able to watch live TV (but not recordings). When I tried to use the guide, it just gave me an error that it couldn't find the XL (which leads me to believe that it's using the XL4's guide, not it's own to where loading data when it connects should not be taking as long as it does).

I removed the USB stick, rebooted the Tivo Mini and no more error. Tried several channels of LiveTV, then noticed that I didn't have the switched channels.

Checked the XL4, sure enough, no switched channels. Rebooted tuning adapter (guess I should have done that when I rebooted the XL4 earlier, but tuning adapter reboots can be such a pain).

Tivo Mini gave an error that the XL4 was doing something using all it's tuners (makes sense for a tuning adapter reboot). Then I was back to it not being able to find the XL4 (UGH!!!). Rebooted the Tivo Mini, all seems well.

I tried some switched channels, apps and Live365 streaming radio off the mini without issues.

I have the suggestion banner on the top enabled on my XL4. I don't see an option to disable that on the Tivo Mini, so it must take over the setting from the XL4 for that. Since the Tivo Mini doesn't come with Netflix, I wondered what would happen if I tried to go into one of the suggestions it listed from Netflix. Want to guess?

If you guess that Tivo Mini no longer found the XL4 and required a reboot, you are a winner!

BTW, it can only Stream of the XL4. It sees my Tivo HD, but won't let me browse it or anything.

I'll use it some more and will let you guys know if I find out anything else, so far the losing connectivity to the XL4 when anything unusual happens and me having to reboot the Tivo mini seems to be the only major issue.

I guess you just have to watch what you select until they fix their bugs (I guess they had some lame beta testers for me to get the error as many times as I did and they didn't catch it in beta)...
Well, I'll be going through this Friday. Looks like a bunch of reboots and hope you did it in the right order!

I think you can only stream from other Premieres.
UCLABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:05 PM   #213
lessd

Thank you for the above

Old 03-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #214
P42

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroth View Post
Does the HD support streaming.

WTB: Sprint iPhone5s
P42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:31 PM   #215
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by P42 View Post
Does the HD support streaming.
No it does not. You can only stream from Premiere models. You can't use a TiVoHD with a Mini. You can only use series 4 boxes with a Mini and you have to have at least a four tuner Premiere to even setup a Mini. But once setup you can stream from a two tuner Premiere.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:58 AM   #216
caroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
No it does not. You can only stream from Premiere models. You can't use a TiVoHD with a Mini. You can only use series 4 boxes with a Mini and you have to have at least a four tuner Premiere to even setup a Mini. But once setup you can stream from a two tuner Premiere.
You are correct, per Tivo the HD does not support streaming. I merely included this info because a lot of times when a company claims something won't work, it still might, they just don't support it.

I figured someone might find the actual confirmation that it won't work useful.
caroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:45 PM   #217
Dan203
Super Moderator

Streaming didn't even exist on the Premiere units until an update last year. The S3 and TiVo HD units have not received a software update in almost 3 years. The S3/HD units are end of life. They will never get another update. So if you're unhappy with the functionality they provide your only option is to upgrade to a Premiere.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:42 PM   #218
GTXgp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjd_87 View Post
For now the 4th show doesn't record. This is suppose to change with a future software update.
That is enough for me to skip the mini. I really don't like the idea of losing my 4th tuner to have a mini that rarely gets used.
GTXgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:46 PM   #219
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTXgp View Post
That is enough for me to skip the mini. I really don't like the idea of losing my 4th tuner to have a mini that rarely gets used.
You don't have to - just allocate 0 tuners to the Mini and problem solved.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:50 PM   #220
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTXgp View Post
Tell it not to assign the tuner then. One shortcut Ben mentioned on this week's Engadget HD podcast is if you have an iPad or any of the TiVos app you can browse the guide via that. Then select what you want to watch so it starts a recording. You will be able to select that and watch that via the Mini.

I believe you can also do the same thing by browsing the Guide from the Mini.

This way you don't lose a tuner, but you have to start recording whatever live show you want to watch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:36 PM   #221
sfm

Received my lifetime'd Mini from Tivo today (ordered Monday). Proceeded with the following (as I ordered from Tivo it was already activated):

1) Enabled tuner sharing on my XL4... this was a pain as that menu is only in HD and since I use SD menus I had to switch to using HD (which took a minute or two) then traverse to that screen (which detours through a SD screen... really tivo?) and set it up to share 1 tuner.

2) Hooked up the mini (wired ethernet) and plugged it in... the mini took several minutes to boot (really tivo?) and then went through the guided setup which took about 5 minutes or so to complete. I was hoping that the mini could be plugged into the switched outlets but the unexpectedly slow boot time will probably nix that.

3) Tivo Central then displayed and then I tested:

- Live TV - takes a few seconds to start streaming but it worked fine... as I tend to "guide surf" the HD menus on the mini are much faster than the useless ones on the XL4 and switching channels takes a couple of seconds (5 seconds max actually but that includes the HDMI handshake required when resolution changes as I use "native" output to the video processor) but pretty much as I expected and very much what I am used to.

- Streaming - again takes about max 5 seconds to start the stream... fast forward, rewind, skipping (30 second skip and to tick mark), etc. reasonably fast... not as fast as the XL4 but very usable.

- Xfinity - as I live in an area with xfinity on-demand support I tested this as well... the experience is much like it is on the XL4 so I am happy with that.

- Could not watch anything from the S3 or Tivo HD on the network (V120 error about the tivo being too old a model). I guess this was expected as they do not support MRS and, regardless, the plan is to replace these with minis.

All in all a very positive initial experience (no reboots or anything required here during setup as others have noted) and it appears as if the mini will do what we need it to in our home theater and other second TV setup (will purchase a second mini for that). Once (if) dynamic tuner allocation comes along then I'll be even happier as I can then recover the one tuner I will allocate for the minis. Will now sell the other lifetime'd tivos we have (S3 and HD) to pay for the minis and no longer have to worry about outlet fees, cable card fees, etc. from Comcast and be able to watch anything from the XL4 tivo anywhere.
sfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #222
Davisadm
TiVo is Back!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfm View Post
I was hoping that the mini could be plugged into the switched outlets but the unexpectedly slow boot time will probably nix that.
Why would you want to plug it into a switched outlet?
Davisadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:49 PM   #223
sfm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisadm View Post
Why would you want to plug it into a switched outlet?
Home theater and secondary tv area are used only a couple of times a week... most of the equipment in these two areas are plugged into switched outlets controlled by a master device (pre/pro or avr) and are only on when the those devices are brought out of standby. Thinking since the mini is chip based it would boot fast but boy was I wrong there.
sfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:53 PM   #224
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfm View Post
Home theater and secondary tv area are used only a couple of times a week... most of the equipment in these two areas are plugged into switched outlets controlled by a master device (pre/pro or avr) and are only on when the those devices are brought out of standby. Thinking since the mini is chip based it would boot fast but boy was I wrong there.
Just turn everything on a few minutes before you want to watch something.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:33 PM   #225
JAaronT
Registered Offender

Mine came today. Setup was painless and I'm using a wireless bridge. Works great, less filling.
JAaronT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:53 PM   #226
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
if you have an iPad or any of the TiVos app you can browse the guide via that. Then select what you want to watch so it starts a recording. You will be able to select that and watch that via the Mini.
Sloppy work around but it will work until the dynamic tuner issue is resolved.
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote