TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:58 PM   #1
sbiller

2-Tuner Support Not on the Roadmap

Cnet's Joshua Goldman confirmed earlier today that TiVo has no plans for the Mini to work with the 2-tuner base Premiere model. They haven't disclosed whether or not this is a technical issue - most are speculating its not. My guess is the lack of MoCA coupled with the lack of tuners and the likely number of Premieres that are already connected wirelessly led TiVO to this decision.

Let the bi*ching begin!

Note: MRS from a 2-tuner Premiere is supported. The base Premiere can not serve as a Mini Host DVR.

Last edited by sbiller : 03-13-2013 at 08:21 AM.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:13 PM   #2
magnus
Tivo User

But it has a Ethernet connection... So why would Moca make any difference at all?
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:16 PM   #3
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus View Post
But it has a Ethernet connection... So why would Moca make any difference at all?
Easier connection. Just like Direct TV, Dish and Cable companies do with there whole home, it is all on one moca coax system.

None of them use ethernet
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:28 PM   #4
moyekj

Well if they want to intentionally lock out potential customers that have no interest in live tv that's their business I guess...
Still don't see why it would not just be a warning that without 4 tuner host you get no live tv.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:39 PM   #5
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post

Easier connection. Just like Direct TV, Dish and Cable companies do with there whole home, it is all on one moca coax system.

None of them use ethernet
What does that have to do with it technically? Why would it not work if all your boxes are using Ethernet? The short answer, it doesn't matter. They just want to force you into a more expensive Premiere.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #6
supasta

I am wondering if they will extend any offers to subscribers that have two tuner models that are interested in the Mini. Has anyone called or investigated this at all with any information?

XBOX LIVE: fiftyfootfang
supasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:48 PM   #7
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

I emailed Tom Rogers and Reed Hastings about Netflix support from TiVo. I received a call from someone in TiVo's executive relations department stating they are working on it and hopefully will be ready by end of year. Judging by the hesitation in his voice to give a time frame, I don't think he can say anything timewise with certainty.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:52 PM   #8
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmedic View Post
I emailed Tom Rogers and Reed Hastings about Netflix support from TiVo. I received a call from someone in TiVo's executive relations department stating they are working on it and hopefully will be ready by end of year. Judging by the hesitation in his voice to give a time frame, I don't think he can say anything timewise with certainty.
Yep, I'll consider it close to being worth it when Netflix, Amazon, and 2 tuner support is there.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:59 PM   #9
lessd

Quote:
Yep, I'll consider it close to being worth it when Netflix, Amazon, and 2 tuner support is there.
So would many TP owners BUT TiVo, for their own reasons, decided not to support what you would like (2 Tuners TP), so you and many others will not purchase the Mini, do you really think TiVo had not considered that when they designed the Mini, or do you think TiVo is now saying ooops.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:09 PM   #10
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post

So would many TP owners BUT TiVo, for their own reasons, decided not to support what you would like (2 Tuners TP), so you and many others will not purchase the Mini, do you really think TiVo had not considered that when they designed the Mini, or do you think TiVo is now saying ooops.
I think they are simply trying to figure out a way to get us to upgrade for some reason. That's the only explanation. It doesn't make much sense though. The cost just does not justify it. I'd prefer to see it on Apple TV from my Stream.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:11 PM   #11
compnurd

Quote:
I think they are simply trying to figure out a way to get us to upgrade for some reason. That's the only explanation. It doesn't make much sense though. The cost just does not justify it. I'd prefer to see it on Apple TV from my Stream.
Have fun with it
Old 03-12-2013, 10:12 PM   #12
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:

Have fun with it
Um, ok. Are you trying to be a jerk or something?
Old 03-12-2013, 10:15 PM   #13
compnurd

Quote:
Um, ok. Are you trying to be a jerk or something?
I am done with people whining about the cost. Ok to you it is too expensive and it sucks and you will never buy one. So what does everyone posting over and over again about that help anyone wanting to buy one because it Does work for them and DOES have value to them
Old 03-12-2013, 10:36 PM   #14
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
I am done with people whining about the cost. Ok to you it is too expensive and it sucks and you will never buy one. So what does everyone posting over and over again about that help anyone wanting to buy one because it Does work for them and DOES have value to them
Unless you work for Tivo... and even if you do.... then get over it. People have a right to their opinion... we still live in America, don't we?
Old 03-12-2013, 10:37 PM   #15
compnurd

Quote:
Unless you work for Tivo... and even if you do.... then get over it. People have a right to their opinion... we still live in America, don't we?
No we dont
Old 03-12-2013, 10:41 PM   #16
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
No we dont
Well, I won't debate politics with you since we're not supposed to here.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:20 AM   #17
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I think TiVo is shooting themselves in the foot if this is the case.

Add wording on the box and in the materials that Live TV is not available when using a 2 tuner Premiere as a host.

I guess they don't think the general public is smart enough to distinguish that subtle difference and want to avoid the potential support issues associated with that.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:29 AM   #18
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
I think TiVo is shooting themselves in the foot if this is the case.

Add wording on the box and in the materials that Live TV is not available when using a 2 tuner Premiere as a host.

I guess they don't think the general public is smart enough to distinguish that subtle difference and want to avoid the potential support issues associated with that.

No. TiVo is setting up the Mini to be part of a Whole Home system for a 4 (or more) tuner base DVR.

The base Premiere is designed to serve one TV, not the entire household.

Mini sales will take off once the next gen TiVo DVRs are released.

Not quite sure why people are so upset about the base model not being supported. Between not having a MoCA bridge and the inevitable support headaches of people that just won't understand tuner hijacking, it is quite logical that the original Premiere is not supported.

Come fall, no one will care. Anyone that wants a mini that doesn't already have an Elite/P4 will want a new host DVR anyway.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:55 AM   #19
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3 View Post
Not quite sure why people are so upset about the base model not being supported.
They said it was on the roadmap for the last 10 months, and they could have clarified it at any point before now. So it's a misdirection that throws off planning and expectations.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 03-13-2013 at 01:14 AM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:57 AM   #20
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
They said was on the roadmap for the last 10 months, and they could have clarified it at any point before now. So it's a misdirection that throws off planning and expectations.
Fair point.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:59 AM   #21
Dan203
Super Moderator

I agree. The next gen TiVos will all support the Mini, including one that has OTA, so there will be a "whole home" solution for everyone. People may not be happy about it not working with their old 2 tuner units, especially those who don't care about live TV, but apparently that is the path TiVo has chosen and it is what it is.

Personally I'll probably get a new 4-6 tuner unit when they hit just for the faster CPU. The sluggishness of the UI and apps is my biggest pet peeve with the Premiere units. If I can get one that's faster it'll be worth the upgrade cost on it's own.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:05 AM   #22
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Lack of support for a 2 tuner is unacceptable in my mind. I find it hard to believe it would be a support issue. I am sure selling TiVos at Walmart is a much bigger support issue, with lots of returns.

I purchased my extended family all 2 tuner Premieres and they don't record that much TV, and a Mini would be perfect for their secondary TV.

Let's start the petition drive now.

CoxInPHX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:07 AM   #23
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
Lack of support for a 2 tuner is unacceptable in my mind. I find it hard to believe it would be a support issue.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say you have never provided technical support for any computer-based product or consumer electronics device.

It would not likely be a (large) support issue for most that visit TCF, but for the target market for a base Premiere, it would be a nightmare.

Why doesn't it work with my wireless? How do I do this MoCA thing? Why aren't most of my programs recording? How do I tell when the Mini is full? Why does my TiVo only record one thing at a time now?

It's FAR easier from a support standpoint to just say "minimum of 4 tuners" and minimize the complaints of users who can't/don't understand the concept of an assigned tuner than to provide the function to a group of users that will most likely be first in line to purchase the upgraded DVR as soon as it's available.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:43 AM   #24
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3 View Post

I'm going to take a wild guess and say you have never provided technical support for any computer-based product or consumer electronics device.

It would not likely be a (large) support issue for most that visit TCF, but for the target market for a base Premiere, it would be a nightmare.

Why doesn't it work with my wireless? How do I do this MoCA thing? Why aren't most of my programs recording? How do I tell when the Mini is full? Why does my TiVo only record one thing at a time now?

It's FAR easier from a support standpoint to just say "minimum of 4 tuners" and minimize the complaints of users who can't/don't understand the concept of an assigned tuner than to provide the function to a group of users that will most likely be first in line to purchase the upgraded DVR as soon as it's available.
Roll eyes really?

Yes, I have provided all computer system related and application support for an entire department of 50 employees that had no clue!

If/Once dynamic tuner allocation is implemented a 2 tuner Premiere should not be a huge issue, yes, right now with the tuner dedication for the Mini I understand the limitation. But still the 2 tuner could be allowed with no provision to assign a tuner.

CoxInPHX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:10 AM   #25
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
Roll eyes really?

Yes, I have provided all computer system related and application support for an entire department of 50 employees that had no clue!

If/Once dynamic tuner allocation is implemented a 2 tuner Premiere should not be a huge issue, yes, right now with the tuner dedication for the Mini I understand the limitation. But still the 2 tuner could be allowed with no provision to assign a tuner.
And a requirement that all boxes in the whole system be on ethernet or Moca.

I mean, if it's such a problem for Wifi then Tivo should stop selling their adapters and no longer recommend them.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:52 AM   #26
compnurd

Quote:
And a requirement that all boxes in the whole system be on ethernet or Moca.

I mean, if it's such a problem for Wifi then Tivo should stop selling their adapters and no longer recommend them.
I think you both may have hit it on the head there.... i would imagine there is a fair amount of 2 Tuners on Wifi which would have called all sorts of issues
Old 03-13-2013, 08:06 AM   #27
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

I would have expected that a 2-tuner model that was connected via ethernet or external MoCA adapter would be able to stream to a Mini, as long as the host DVR was a 4-tuner.

If you can stream from Premiere to Premiere via ethernet or MoCA (built in or external) I am surprised to hear that the Mini can't do this.

Unless I am understanding this wrong.
TiVo HDXL
TiVo HD
Retired: TiVo Series 2 ST, Philips Series 1 HDR212
NotNowChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:08 AM   #28
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
I think you both may have hit it on the head there.... i would imagine there is a fair amount of 2 Tuners on Wifi which would have called all sorts of issues
Just because you have a 4 tuner Premiere does not mean that you would not try to use a Wifi adapter though.

Why don't they just create a software update that disables the ability to use Wifi then?
Old 03-13-2013, 08:23 AM   #29
compnurd

Quote:
Just because you have a 4 tuner Premiere does not mean that you would not try to use a Wifi adapter though.

Why don't they just create a software update that disables the ability to use Wifi then?
How would they know? There wireless N device is a bridge so all the Tivo see's is a ethernet connection
Old 03-13-2013, 08:23 AM   #30
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNowChief View Post
I would have expected that a 2-tuner model that was connected via ethernet or external MoCA adapter would be able to stream to a Mini, as long as the host DVR was a 4-tuner.

If you can stream from Premiere to Premiere via ethernet or MoCA (built in or external) I am surprised to hear that the Mini can't do this.

Unless I am understanding this wrong.
Yes. Streaming (MRS) from 2-tuners is supported. The 2-tuner base Premiere can't be a Mini Host DVR.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote