TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-11-2013, 05:25 PM   #1
HazelW

Is there anyway to give a gift of tivo?

Is there anyway to give someone a gift of a tivo with lifetime? It looks like tivo used to have gift cards but discontinued them a few years ago. When you buy a tivo from tivo.com you have to sign up for service and there does not appear to be anyway to give it as a gift?
HazelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:34 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

You can do it over the phone. I've done it a couple times.

Or you can just order it online and when you get it call and have it transferred to the recipients account.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:56 PM   #3
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Order online, and specify the shipping address and billing address as different.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:29 AM   #4
replaytv
deadbeat doofus

I have bought a lot of TiVos from people that received TiVos for gifts. They never used them at all.
I have tried to give TiVos with lifetime service to my family/friends. None would take them. I don't know why.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:48 AM   #5
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
I have bought a lot of TiVos from people that received TiVos for gifts. They never used them at all.
I have tried to give TiVos with lifetime service to my family/friends. None would take them. I don't know why.
I think the reality is that most of us posting on this forum are really DVR enthusiasts and overestimate the general publics view of DVRs. There are several reasons that TiVo stand alone DVRs are a niche product, one of them is that the general public just don't care and even if they want a DVR they want one that is taken care of by their Pay TV provider.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #6
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
I think the reality is that most of us posting on this forum are really DVR enthusiasts and overestimate the general publics view of DVRs. There are several reasons that TiVo stand alone DVRs are a niche product, one of them is that the general public just don't care and even if they want a DVR they want one that is taken care of by their Pay TV provider.
That is correct, not only is the DVR from say Comcast taken care of, but is set up by Comcast, have a problem call Comcast, they will fix or replace your DVR, no extra cost to you. Both of my married kids have TiVo(s) I gave them as gifts over the years, they love them because if they have any problem "DAD" will fix it, (I live less than 30 minutes from them) and they have had some problems over the years, that for me were easily fixed. I have about 6 friends that use TiVo and I (not TiVo) am the person they call when they have a problem, the rest of my friends use Comcast because they don't want to bother me with DVR problems.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:20 PM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

Yeah my family all has TiVos too, but only because I bought them and support them. If left to their own devices they'd probably have cable DVRs or nothing at all.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:34 PM   #8
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Yeah my family all has TiVos too, but only because I bought them and support them. If left to their own devices they'd probably have cable DVRs or nothing at all.
TiVo should figure out a way to capitalize on this type of business model (Family and friends service and setup), but I don't know how TiVo could do this.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:51 PM   #9
lew

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
TiVo should figure out a way to capitalize on this type of business model (Family and friends service and setup), but I don't know how TiVo could do this.
Wasn't the old rewards program one such way? Get your friends and family to sign up with your code and you got some "stuff"
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:38 PM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

Yep. I still have an iPod Mini I got through that program that I use in my car. And my Sister still uses a Glo remote I got through that as well.

I think they dumped it because people were abusing it. I remember seeing people asking strangers on the forum to use their codes and I even remember people selling the rights to using someone's code on eBay. (i.e. pay me $10 and I'll use your code to buy a new TiVo)
Old 03-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #11
etz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
That is correct, not only is the DVR from say Comcast taken care of, but is set up by Comcast, have a problem call Comcast, they will fix or replace your DVR, no extra cost to you.
Yup, that's why I refuse to buy my own telephone, especially since I can conveniently lease my phone from the phone company. The rotary dial is acting up lately, so I'm just going to call them and have them replace it with one of those touch tone models. Maybe I'll even get one of those 'princess' phones at a slight surcharge.

I'm kidding of course, but some people still think that way.
etz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:16 PM   #12
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by etz View Post
Yup, that's why I refuse to buy my own telephone, especially since I can conveniently lease my phone from the phone company. The rotary dial is acting up lately, so I'm just going to call them and have them replace it with one of those touch tone models. Maybe I'll even get one of those 'princess' phones at a slight surcharge.

I not sure that an old rotary phone to a new tone phone is the same amount of difference as a Comcast DVR to a TiVo DVR, OH I think ATT will still rent you a tone phone as about 6 years ago I had an old aunt living about an hour from, me so I rented her phone so when there was a problem I would not have to spend 2 hours in my car to fix it, just called ATT.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:06 AM   #13
replaytv
deadbeat doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by etz View Post

I use to work at AT&T and there were little old ladies that would call in and have maintenance on their old dark ages phone. We would sent out a tech to replace the phone, always a free upgrade.

I called Centurylink and changed my service. They sent out a refurbished free DSL router cuz I wanted one with N WIFI!!
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote