TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-11-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
tiams

Vikings S1E2 OAD 3/10/13 Wrath of the Northmen

What a miserable voyage.
I saw an article recently saying someone discovered a real Viking Sunstone.
Where would the Monk who spoke Norse have traveled to to learn it?
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:36 AM   #2
cheesesteak
Meh.

Who was the guy who raped the anchor maker's daughter, Rollo or the missing doubting Viking dude?

Never, ever try to sleep with your local gangster boss' wife no matter how many times he tells you he's ok with it.

Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
cheesesteak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:59 AM   #3
Ment

Are you talking about the shipmaker Floki's slave? That was Rollo. He's going to bring the trouble to Ragnar for sure.
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:39 AM   #4
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Wow, that was...strange.

Last week, I was impressed with how much the show seems to know about medieval history. But last week, I assumed that "The West" was Iceland/Greenland/Newfoundland (and wondered why nobody was talking about England or Western Europe as an alternative to Russia and the Baltic for raids). Now, they "discover" England...which everybody in Europe had known about since the Bronze Age! The only thing the Vikings "discovered" about England was how to get there directly across the North Sea without their ships sinking.

Weird, weird lapse for a show that has clearly done their homework...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Never, ever try to sleep with your local gangster boss' wife no matter how many times he tells you he's ok with it.
Heh. Flunky was too stupid to figure it out, but he was doomed no matter what he did...clearly the Godfather was looking for an excuse to kill him. If he'd said "no," he would have been killed for disobeying him.

I guess he was useless enough to be spared for surveillance duty, but too useless to be allowed to live with what he discovered.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:23 AM   #5
caslu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Wow, that was...strange.

Last week, I was impressed with how much the show seems to know about medieval history. But last week, I assumed that "The West" was Iceland/Greenland/Newfoundland (and wondered why nobody was talking about England or Western Europe as an alternative to Russia and the Baltic for raids). Now, they "discover" England...which everybody in Europe had known about since the Bronze Age! The only thing the Vikings "discovered" about England was how to get there directly across the North Sea without their ships sinking.

Heh. Flunky was too stupid to figure it out, but he was doomed no matter what he did...clearly the Godfather was looking for an excuse to kill him. If he'd said "no," he would have been killed for disobeying him.

I guess he was useless enough to be spared for surveillance duty, but too useless to be allowed to live with what he discovered.

England? Then why didn't the monks speak English?
caslu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:27 AM   #6
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caslu View Post
To distinguish them from the Vikings (who, of course, don't really speak modern English!).

In reality, they would have spoken Latin or Old English (which is distinct enough from modern English to be unintelligible to us). I can't remember what they were speaking on the show.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:38 AM   #7
tiams

Quote:
Who was the guy who raped the anchor maker's daughter, Rollo or the missing doubting Viking dude?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
Are you talking about the shipmaker Floki's slave? That was Rollo. He's going to bring the trouble to Ragnar for sure.
Right. The woman who was raped was a slave. Different woman than the daughter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caslu View Post
The monks spoke ancient Anglo-Saxon.

Anyone know how long that boat trip would have taken?
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:42 AM   #8
MonsterJoe
waxing cynical

Quote:
Wow, that was...strange.

I'll take your word for all this because, well, you're you.

I am pleasantly surprised by the show so far. Pretty good production for the History Channel.
MonsterJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #9
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
Anyone know how long that boat trip would have taken?
2-3 days. The only challenge was the very rough water in the North Sea, which earlier Viking boats couldn't handle. Navigation wasn't much of an issue. England is pretty hard to miss from Norway (go southwest), and even harder from Denmark (go west along the coast; I assume these guys are in Norway).

Which is another reason I was so surprised that their endless journey ended at England.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #10
cheesesteak
Meh.

I also was surprised that England was the unknown western frontier. You'd think they'd be aware of England because of trade and commerce. Maybe the Vikings killed everybody they encountered before asking them what was over yonder.

It goes against the grain of the show but if I were that Harald guy, I'd have sanctioned Ragnar and some guys go on a scouting trip and claimed my usual percentage of anything they found. If they disappeared, then that would confirm that I was right about sailing west. I don't understand what the big deal was other than he can't stand Ragnar.

Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
cheesesteak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #11
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
It goes against the grain of the show but if I were that Harald guy, I'd have sanctioned Ragnar and some guys go on a scouting trip and claimed my usual percentage of anything they found. If they disappeared, then that would confirm that I was right about sailing west. I don't understand what the big deal was other than he can't stand Ragnar.
The Jarl had a monopoly on the ships, so he controlled where they raided. As far as he was concerned, Ragnar was asking him to send his ships off into the open ocean instead of where they knew there was booty (which, as I said earlier, is nuts, but that's the way they're treating it). Ragnar built his ship in secret on the side. I doubt in reality that he ever could have afforded such a thing, but given what a capricious control freak the Jarl is, I doubt he would have been too happy at losing his monopoly.

A ruler's power in this era consisted of what he could get away with. Ragnar poses a pretty major threat to the Jarl's power. I suspect his survival will depend on how he manages the Jarl on his return...making him look good, and making him richer.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:30 PM   #12
philw1776

Quote:
To distinguish them from the Vikings (who, of course, don't really speak modern English!).

In reality, they would have spoken Latin or Old English (which is distinct enough from modern English to be unintelligible to us). I can't remember what they were speaking on the show.
As someone who has travelled through Europe I find modern British (never mind Scottish) English sometimes incomprehensible. I'm so bad I use clothes (sic) captions when watching BBC dramas.
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote