Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #5761
AJ500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
I agree the copy flag blows...
But, doesn't the TiVo Stream allow transfer of all programming to an iPhone,pad,pod type device?
Copy restrictions apply to TiVo Stream as well. You can wireless stream from the TiVo to the iPad, but you cannot download (transfer) protected media. The Download button is greyed out for copy protected shows.

Last edited by AJ500 : 01-18-2013 at 03:35 PM.
AJ500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #5762
swarto112

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryKeller View Post
I have spent over 30 hours on the phone (many of those on hold) and with TW in my house trying to get this fixed. This is the third TiVo I have tried. The current cablecard and all of the previous cablecards have been paired correctly. There was one bad cablecard that generated errors, but the current one does not. All cablecards are Motorola.
Its the Tuning adapter and cable cards that are the issues. Ive spent 50 hrs in the last two months dealing the same issue. They consistently had to rotate TAs and cable cards until they got it to work. I still dont have all my channels but if I tune in early enuf it'll eventually work. What seems t be happening is that TWC is doing 'just enough' to satisfy the bare minimums. When the techs whne about the TiVo being inferior and that cable cable cards never work....I point out that cards are in every device they roll out. What do they think that little sticker on the back of the the TWC boxes means when it says dont open. Its a cable card...num nuts.

FIOS
swarto112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:17 AM   #5763
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarto112 View Post
Its the Tuning adapter and cable cards that are the issues. Ive spent 50 hrs in the last two months dealing the same issue.
Would be nice to know what area you are in.

Also which t/a and cable card is installed.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:04 PM   #5764
JimWall

I haven't posted for a while but want to share.
After fixing my cable card issue with Tivo S3 the Time Warner National Cable Card support desk said it is OK to give out their number and call them bypassing your TWC local support. 866-532-2598
Last week one of my two S3s stopped working with encrypted and switched channels. TWC of southwest Ohio tried a lot of stuff with different people and finally scheduled a truck. Two days later tech showed up. Confirmed signal was excellent and decided to swap the two old single stream CCs with newer m-stream. He made a few calls to learn how to setup two in one Tivo. That did fix the problem.
Then my 2nd S3 had to same problem yesterday after working fine for many years.
Called TW again and the 2nd level support offered a truck roll or transfer me to what turned out the be the National Cable Card help desk. I asked to be transferred. Person on the phone asked me to tell him what the EMM count was on the CP Screen for cable card 1. It was zero and he them did something and after several minutes the count went up. He said 0 to 2 is very bad. Then did the same for card 2. Then all the channels started working fine.
Higher is good and the count can go up and down. But not stay at less than 3.
JimWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:54 PM   #5765
dbkeebler

Appleton, WI

Long time DirecTivo user, moved a few months ago and it was easier to bundle up cable and internet with TWC. Hated the TWC DVRs from day-1 and after 3 months I was so thoroughly fed up with their horribleness that I had to change.

So last night I went to the TWC store and got my CableCard and tuning adapter (took maybe 10 minutes), then went to BB to pick up a Premier XL4. Part way thru the install a screen popped up with a number so I called but she said the CC department was closed (LIAR!!!) Luckily I read this board so I called the number above and the guy had me hooked up in less than 15 minutes and the only reason it took that long is that data had to load. This morning I clicked over to HBO and only found error messages. Called back the CC department and instantly Jason (probably his real name) saw that my pay channels had not been activated on the card and fixed it in no time.

I'm probably a rare case, but the process was pretty painless. The worst part of the whole thing was talking with the rep at the store with all his fearmongering. They will do anything they can to scare you into staying with their lousy DVRs. It was pretty sad. But I'm so happy to have a peanut remote in my hand again and bleeps and bloops in my ears.
dbkeebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:26 PM   #5766
Joey Bagadonuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbkeebler View Post
Appleton, WI

Long time DirecTivo user, moved a few months ago and it was easier to bundle up cable and internet with TWC. Hated the TWC DVRs from day-1 and after 3 months I was so thoroughly fed up with their horribleness that I had to change.

So last night I went to the TWC store and got my CableCard and tuning adapter (took maybe 10 minutes), then went to BB to pick up a Premier XL4. Part way thru the install a screen popped up with a number so I called but she said the CC department was closed (LIAR!!!) Luckily I read this board so I called the number above and the guy had me hooked up in less than 15 minutes and the only reason it took that long is that data had to load. This morning I clicked over to HBO and only found error messages. Called back the CC department and instantly Jason (probably his real name) saw that my pay channels had not been activated on the card and fixed it in no time.

I'm probably a rare case, but the process was pretty painless. The worst part of the whole thing was talking with the rep at the store with all his fearmongering. They will do anything they can to scare you into staying with their lousy DVRs. It was pretty sad. But I'm so happy to have a peanut remote in my hand again and bleeps and bloops in my ears.
Unfortunately, your experience with TWC with regard to anything TiVo related is typical. They will do ANYTHING (yes, even lying about their CC department being "closed") to try and get you to stay away from TiVo. If TWC exerted half the effort into making a quality DVR as they do into bashing TiVo customers and making it as difficult as they can for us, they'd see their customer base flourish.
Joey Bagadonuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:21 PM   #5767
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWall View Post
Last week one of my two S3s stopped working with encrypted and switched channels. TWC of southwest Ohio tried a lot of stuff with different people and finally scheduled a truck. Two days later tech showed up. Confirmed signal was excellent and decided to swap the two old single stream CCs with newer m-stream. He made a few calls to learn how to setup two in one Tivo. That did fix the problem.
I and two other forum members in TWC SW Ohio that I know of have TiVo HD's that use the m-card (just one card needed in an HD). We all have our TiVo's completely frozen for two minutes or so, whenever an EAS message comes through. The exact behavior varies but typically it switches you to C-SPAN2 and there is no response to the remote control. It can stop a recording completely. This only started happening to me when I switched from two s-cards to the one m-card. I'll be curious to see what your experience is since you're in the same TWC region.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:39 AM   #5768
SASouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
I and two other forum members in TWC SW Ohio that I know of have TiVo HD's that use the m-card (just one card needed in an HD). We all have our TiVo's completely frozen for two minutes or so, whenever an EAS message comes through. The exact behavior varies but typically it switches you to C-SPAN2 and there is no response to the remote control. It can stop a recording completely. This only started happening to me when I switched from two s-cards to the one m-card. I'll be curious to see what your experience is since you're in the same TWC region.
I'm one of the other two forum members.

It also happens on my Premire Elite too. That makes it obvious to me that the problem is more a TWC problem than a TiVo issue. That is, unless they share the same code base for handling EBS messages.
SASouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #5769
bobrt6676

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASouth View Post

It also happens on my Premire Elite too. That makes it obvious to me that the problem is more a TWC problem than a TiVo issue. That is, unless they share the same code base for handling EBS messages.
+1
bobrt6676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:52 PM   #5770
DocEloise

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ500 View Post
Copy restrictions apply to TiVo Stream as well. You can wireless stream from the TiVo to the iPad, but you cannot download (transfer) protected media. The Download button is greyed out for copy protected shows.
I've been researching this until my eyes are ready to fall out. Can someone explain to me, in English, which shows I'll be able to Tivo stream to an iPad? I know with TivoToGo, only network stuff can be transferred. Does this limitation apply to iPad in the same way if I use Tivo Stream? And, because I need this to be really clear, will the iPad save stuff I transfer with Tivo Stream so I can see it later? I could really use some help and would appreciate any input! Thanks in advance
DocEloise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:37 PM   #5771
AJ500

You can stream and play any program from your My Shows list or from a live show to your iPad. You can download (transfer) only programs that are not protected (i.e. the same programs that don't have the red x-circle in your TiVo Desktop program list). In my case with TWC, most programs, with the exception of some local programs and a few syndicated programs, are protected. A protected program will have its Download button greyed out in the TiVo iPad app.

An unprotected program can be downloaded and will be saved on your iPad and added to the list of local programs that can be played on the iPad even when the iPad is not network connected.
AJ500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:35 PM   #5772
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Quote:

It's a malfunction of the "system", i.e., TWC, CableCARD and TiVo. Can't say I'm very surprised since EAS alerts are a relatively minor functionality and the "system" can't even perform all that reliably on its primary function (tuning Cable channels).

and
Old 03-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #5773
SASouth

Quote:
It's a malfunction of the "system", i.e., TWC, CableCARD and TiVo. Can't say I'm very surprised since EAS alerts are a relatively minor functionality and the "system" can't even perform all that reliably on its primary function (tuning Cable channels).
I don't think I agree fully with this. My Tivo HDs never had this problem until I replaced my single stream cards with an M-card. Also, the Tivo Elite and the Tivo HD are completely different operating systems yet both exhibit the same issues when coupled with an M-Card and TWC.
SASouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:06 PM   #5774
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
I don't think I agree fully with this. My Tivo HDs never had this problem until I replaced my single stream cards with an M-card. Also, the Tivo Elite and the Tivo HD are completely different operating systems yet both exhibit the same issues when coupled with an M-Card and TWC.
All three system components have to communicate properly and function properly with each other. It's quite possible TWC and/or TiVo didn't implement the signaling properly according to whatever interface specs apply to the M-Cards. I can't remember the details now but my memory is the EAS alerts didn't work completely correctly even when I had two S-Cards, although it wasn't as lame as it is with an M-Card. If I had to choose who is most likely to have screwed up it would be TWC rather than the CableCARD designers or TiVo.

We'll probably never know -- and it probably makes no difference whether we do.

and
Old 03-12-2013, 08:16 AM   #5775
cwoody222

Last night I noticed I lost 3 (at least channels); TBS, TNT and CNN. They're all neighbors in terms of channel numbers (721, 723, 724). I do still get 722. Weird that they're Turner channels.

A few weeks ago I organized my octopus of cables and lost a few channels due to signal issues... I'd bent a coax. I wiggled it a bit and that fixed it.

But now no amount of wiggling works. I rebooted everything and even plugged the TiVo directly to the coax from the wall and those channels are still missing.

Any ideas?

I live in a building so its possible TW screwed something up on a pole while working for someone else. But odd that I'd only lose that small number of channels.

I don't want to just call them because they're just going to suggest a truck roll.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:06 AM   #5776
dlfl
Cranky old novice

You have been active in this thread so presumably you've already:

Rebooted TiVo and Tuning Adapter.

Checked signal strength, SNR and RS error counts in DVR diagnostics.

Also, any cable that changes from bad to good just by wiggling it is a bad cable and should be replaced.

and
Old 03-12-2013, 10:21 AM   #5777
cwoody222

My diagnosis doesn't look good

Picked up brand new coax on lunch. We'll try that later. Also a new splitter for good measure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (35.2 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by cwoody222 : 03-12-2013 at 12:32 PM.
cwoody222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:03 PM   #5778
cwoody222

New shielded coax and new splitter and still just those few channels are an issue. I get Zero signal strength on them
Old 03-12-2013, 06:07 PM   #5779
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222 View Post
New shielded coax and new splitter and still just those few channels are an issue. I get Zero signal strength on them
Is signal level ok on the 'working' channels? If so, this could be a cable card channel map problem that the cableco will have to fix. Do you know if the missing channels are SDV or Linear?
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:02 PM   #5780
cwoody222

Signal level on working channels are fine.

I called them tonight and suggested channel map and they said no.

They said at least one of the channels was not SDV.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:42 AM   #5781
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Signal level on working channels are fine.

I called them tonight and suggested channel map and they said no.

They said at least one of the channels was not SDV.
Hmm... do you have a TWC box in the house? If you can tune one of the TiVo missing channels on the TWC box and then go into diag mode and see what the frequency is and then compare what frequency TiVo is trying to tune. With signal lock=No it suggests that there is no RF on the frequency that TiVo is trying to tune.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:42 AM   #5782
cwoody222

Nope, I only have the TiVo.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:42 AM   #5783
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Nope, I only have the TiVo.
Friendly neighbor?
Old 03-13-2013, 09:56 AM   #5784
cwoody222

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
Friendly neighbor?
Perhaps.

How would I view Diagnostic mode on a TWC box?
Old 03-13-2013, 04:31 PM   #5785
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Perhaps.

How would I view Diagnostic mode on a TWC box?
From my archives on Cisco boxes... this is a bit old but may work...

Diag Mode

On the box, hold the volume + button and the info button at the same time until it pops up on the screen.

If it doesnt work... you can probably google the box model and 'diagnostic mode' and find out how.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:49 PM   #5786
cwoody222

Tech came and went. Problem is now worse. I was missing 2 stations. Now I'm missing 20+

Signal strength is excellent. Frequencies came in on the missing channels on his meter device thingy but it shows no frequency on the TiVo.

He suggested a new CableCARD and/or SDV adapter, neither of which he had.

Like 99.9% of the other issues I'm positive the problem is on THEIR end and they don't know it.

So frustrating.

God I hate that company.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:24 PM   #5787
wtherrell

Quote:
Tech came and went. Problem is now worse. I was missing 2 stations. Now I'm missing 20+

Signal strength is excellent. Frequencies came in on the missing channels on his meter device thingy but it shows no frequency on the TiVo.

He suggested a new CableCARD and/or SDV adapter, neither of which he had.

Like 99.9% of the other issues I'm positive the problem is on THEIR end and they don't know it.

So frustrating.

God I hate that company.
Mine sometimes does that. I have to power cycle Tivo with TA adapter powered off. Then power up TA and let it go thru its thing until it stops blinking.
wtherrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:09 AM   #5788
cwoody222

Power cycling the TA brought back the channels that went missing last night.

But I'm still missing the original 2 stations. Just 2. That's not a TA problem... if it was I'd be missing ALL SDV channels.

So I'm back to where I was earlier in the week... unable to tune 2 stations.

Their Twitter "help" desk wants me to call the number... same number I called earlier this week and all they did was schedule a tech. Same number the tech himself called. So why would I call them a THIRD time?!

Aside from that the "help" desk wants to schedule another tech. I guess the 2nd one will be better than the 1st? Why can't they send the good people the first time?

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I very well may cut the cord over this this summer. I'm sick of their *****.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:08 AM   #5789
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Power cycling the TA brought back the channels that went missing last night.

But I'm still missing the original 2 stations. Just 2. That's not a TA problem... if it was I'd be missing ALL SDV channels.

So I'm back to where I was earlier in the week... unable to tune 2 stations.

Their Twitter "help" desk wants me to call the number... same number I called earlier this week and all they did was schedule a tech. Same number the tech himself called. So why would I call them a THIRD time?!

Aside from that the "help" desk wants to schedule another tech. I guess the 2nd one will be better than the 1st? Why can't they send the good people the first time?

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I very well may cut the cord over this this summer. I'm sick of their *****.
Back in post #5777 you had an image of DVR Diagnostics showing signal level too low to even show up as a measurement. I know from personal experience you can have just one or two channels (actually QAM frequencies) that are too weak even though all the others are strong. In my case it occured for whatever channel was assigned by SDV to QAM frequency 543 MHz. I was totally convinced it was a problem with one of their QAM modulator units. On the second service call I was able to show the tech my Diagnostics screen with a channel on that freq and the low signal level (and severe pixelation). He was then convinced it was a problem outside my structure. However before escalating it he took the precaution of re-tightening the cable connections in the tap box at the corner of my lot (cable is underground here). And that fixed it!!!! Problem has been gone for two weeks now.

During the phone call that resulted in this second service call the rep told me their policy was not to escalate (i.e., to more capable tech people) until there were three service calls for the identical problem! I assume such policies exist because the typical service problem does NOT involve a Tivo and typically will be solved, at least by the second service call, using "ordinary" field technicians. And because their supply of better techs is extremely limited.

In general keeping my TiVo going with TA and TWC has been an ongoing hassle for almost four years now, although things have improved slightly over the years. I've slowly been building up my readiness to cut the cord, including OTA with antenna, Google TV with Logitech Revue, Netflix and pyTivo with a PlayOn plugin. There are free plugins for PlayOn that provide substantial live sports event coverage and live cable news channels such as Fox News, Fox Business, CNBC and MSNBC -- although video quality varies from barely watchable to comparable to standard definition. Many, many movies too.

and

Last edited by dlfl : 03-15-2013 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:17 AM   #5790
cwoody222

Thanks for the info.

On my two missing channels my signal level is ZERO when looked thru TiVo. Not low or pixelated. Zip zero nada.

Tech checked my signal on his meter thing and every channel is decent. Every one.

That tells me that TiVo is looking for the channels on the *wrong* frequency, no?

The tech didn't know - and had no way to find out - what frequencies those 2 stations are on (TiVo doesn't show it because it can't find it at all).

I was told it could be escalated after my 2nd tech visit.