TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:19 PM   #1
maddigital

My Tivo Mini Wall Mounted Install

I purchased 2 Tivo Minis yesterday at my local Best Buy. Just want to share my the experience and install of my first one.

My Existing Setup
  • 1 Tivo Premiere XL4 (Lifetime) Cat5
  • 3 Tivo Premieres upgraded to 500GB (2 Have Lifetime) Cat5
  • Verizon Fios / Ethernet Broadband

Purchased my Premieres a year and a half ago. The XL4 was purchased when the Price Dropped to $399. With the rumors of the Tivo Mini connecting to the XL4, i decided to go month to month on one of the premiers.

I had a TV in the kitchen that was getting channels through Fios Cable clear QAM. Only got a couple channels and it was annoying. This is where the 1st Tivo mini will go.

Setup was easy. Activated with Lifetime online. Installed an hour later. Since I only had COAX run to the Kitchen TV, I enabled my XL4 as a MOCA Bridge.

I enabled live video sharing on the XL4 and set for 2 or more devices. This warned that the 2 will now be reserved and unavailable to the XL4 TV.

Powering up and configuring the Tivo mini was just like a regular tivo only faster. It booted, configured internet through MOCA, Connected to Tivo Service and updated. It asks you to confirm the name of the Tivo and select which Tivo on the network it will get its tuner from. And that was it.

I actually find the GUI faster than on the XL4. I never channel surf and the guide feels faster and more responsive.

I mounted the Tivo Mini under the tv against the wall (it has 2 screw mount holes on the bottom)

The only thing I noticed is that there is a very low squealing electrical noise coming from the top of the mini through the vents. Sounds similar to the sound my Lenovo AC adapter made when it was charging my laptop. Its definitely a power supply related noise. I haven't unpacked the 2nd yet but will check for the noise. It is not noticeable unless I am up close (like 6in away).

If all goes well, the 2nd Tivo Mini will replace my Bedroom Premiere that is going month to month. This will save me that sub and the cable card rental. If this works out, I will prob sell the 2 Premieres with lifetime for another Xl4 and another Mini.

here are some pics. I didnt clean up all the wiring yet.

Mad
maddigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

What if you had placed it higher so it was completely hidden? Would the remote IR signals register?
BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:46 PM   #3
Bwatford141

I mounted mine on the backside of a dresser that my TV is mounted above. The Mini is not visable at all and is about 2 inches below the top of the dresser. Instead of using the mounting holes, I simply used double stick tape to secure it. All wires are hidden behind the wall. The remote works great without any issues.
Bwatford141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:50 PM   #4
maddigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBetty View Post
What if you had placed it higher so it was completely hidden? Would the remote IR signals register?
Mounted Totally behind the TV had some inconsistent remote responses. I plan to move it up another 3-4 inches bringing it closer to the tv mount but I dont want it in a spot to be hit by the tv when it is swiveled. I would rather it have perfect remote signal for my wife than hear the complaints how it doesn't work from a specific spot from the other side of the kitchen or dining room.

Plus I like the little Tivo logo for now. Lets see how long until i get sick of it.

Mad
maddigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:56 PM   #5
innocentfreak

I think it looks good like that and seems practical.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:09 PM   #6
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddigital View Post
Mounted Totally behind the TV had some inconsistent remote responses.
Did you try facing it so the IR window is facing up? I don't have a Mini yet, but my Roku works that way so it is mounted towards the top of the tv. My guess it is because I tend to point the remote up more than down so the IR bounces off the ceiling.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:09 PM   #7
BriHiFi

Try mounting it to the back of the TV. High middle to avoid the bracket. And you'll probably get better IR response than just behind the TV(less angles for the IR to bounce). Point the remote at the point where the wall meets the ceiling. Also better cable management. Just some suggestions.
BriHiFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:47 PM   #8
bdraw

A very nice and clean install.
bdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:12 PM   #9
HDRyder9

Where is the IR window on the Mini?

Just an informational point:

I plugged a USB IR receiver into the Mini, wrapped the mini if foil and the USB receiver appeared to work perfectly.

Last edited by HDRyder9 : 03-14-2013 at 05:11 PM.
HDRyder9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:47 PM   #10
P42

Someone needs to create a flat Mini mounting plate that can use the VESA holes on the back of a TV even when the TV is mounted to the wall. Does this make sense?
P42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:08 PM   #11
gbruyn

I'm looking for an IR USB receiver for the Tivo mini. Why do you need to wrap it in tin foil if you have a USB IR extender? Where can I get a USB IR extender?
gbruyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:10 PM   #12
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbruyn View Post
Why do you need to wrap it in tin foil if you have a USB IR extender?
To make sure that it was the USB IR extender receiving the signal and not the Mini itself.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:34 PM   #13
StupidFatHobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRyder9 View Post
Where is the IR window on the Mini?

Just an informational point:

I plugged a USB IR receiver into the Mini, wrapped the mini if foil and the USB receiver appeared to work perfectly.
Thats great news! But, There are lots of kinds of IR receivers. What brand was yours?

Thanks.
StupidFatHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:27 PM   #14
HDRyder9

The USB IR receiver that worked for me was an HP brand that I bought on ebay.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:57 AM   #15
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Wrapping the Mini in foil sounds like a great way to make it overheat and fail. Put a piece of electrical tape over the IR sensor if you are worried about duplicate IR traffic.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:29 AM   #16
StupidFatHobbit

Quote:
The USB IR receiver that worked for me was an HP brand that I bought on ebay.
That's alost too good to be true. I have bunches of those (switching from a HTPC to TiVo).
StupidFatHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:17 AM   #17
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

Does the IR emitter that was packaged with Series 1 and Series 2 DVRs to control the cable boxes work with the Mini as an IR receiver?

Yes I know it is an IR emitter, and I know it might sound like a silly question to some, but I can't think of a logical reason why it would not work, albeit backwards, when plugged into the IR port on the Mini.

Anybody try this before I spend 2 hours digging in my basement?

I know I have 4 of them in the basement in my box of retired TiVo equipment that I absolutely CANNOT part with for nostalgic reasons.
TiVo HDXL
TiVo HD
Retired: TiVo Series 2 ST, Philips Series 1 HDR212
NotNowChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #18
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNowChief View Post
Does the IR emitter that was packaged with Series 1 and Series 2 DVRs to control the cable boxes work with the Mini as an IR receiver?

Yes I know it is an IR emitter, and I know it might sound like a silly question to some, but I can't think of a logical reason why it would not work, albeit backwards, when plugged into the IR port on the Mini.

Anybody try this before I spend 2 hours digging in my basement?

I know I have 4 of them in the basement in my box of retired TiVo equipment that I absolutely CANNOT part with for nostalgic reasons.
Does the Mini even have an IR port?
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:53 AM   #19
HDRyder9

Wrapping it in foil is for testing purposes only.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:55 AM   #20
Davisadm
TiVo is Back!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Does the Mini even have an IR port?
No IR port.
Davisadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:11 AM   #21
HDRyder9

No IR port is a bad design in my opinion. I think most people will want to hide the Mini behind their TV.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:12 AM   #22
jjd_87

Quote:
No IR port is a bad design in my opinion. I think most people will want to hide the Mini behind their TV.
Is reading disabled in these mini threads?!
jjd_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:30 AM   #23
Loach

Quote:
There will be a USB version. Tivo just doesn't have one for sale yet.
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:46 AM   #24
dmk1974
DA BEARS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by P42 View Post
Someone needs to create a flat Mini mounting plate that can use the VESA holes on the back of a TV even when the TV is mounted to the wall. Does this make sense?
I am looking for the same thing. A way to have a "mini" shelf or something that can attach to the back/bottom of the actual TV. In my case, I am working on how to attach a TiVo Mini and an Apple TV2. The TV I am going to mount to the wall is a few inches thick so maybe I can even rig up a little shelf to mount (so the Mini and ATV can be either horizontal or vertical).

TiVo Premiere 4 w/Lifetime (318 hr)
TiVo Premiere 4 w/Lifetime (77 hr)
TiVo Mini w/Lifetime (x4)
TiVo Stream
dmk1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:59 AM   #25
supasta

Quote:
I think most people will want to hide the Mini behind their TV.
An option in this scenario is the TiVo Slide Pro Remote. That said, I have my Mini mounted to the back of my TV using the TiVo Mini Wall Mount Kit - without the IR Adapter - and have no issues at all with the standard Mini remote.

XBOX LIVE: fiftyfootfang
supasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:05 PM   #26
Tivogre

I was able to mount the TiVo mini to the back of the TV using the TiVo mount kit. I mounted the bracket using one if the 4 screws that attach the VESA mount to the TV. I also found Sewell makes a 6" HDMI cable that it perfect to avoid hiding a coiled cable. They also have 12" and 18"
Samsung 72", 56", 4 x 32" HDTV
Sony 40" HDTV
iRule + iTach Remotes
Tivogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:06 PM   #27
Tivogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by supasta View Post
An option in this scenario is the TiVo Slide Pro Remote. That said, I have my Mini mounted to the back of my TV using the TiVo Mini Wall Mount Kit - without the IR Adapter - and have no issues at all with the standard Mini remote.
This has been my experience as well. Apparently, enough of the IR signal still gets to the mini. It's surprising how well it works - from all around the room.
Sony 40" HDTV
iRule + iTach Remotes
Old 01-11-2014, 03:46 PM   #28
rfryar
My Media, My Way

Tivo is selling a mounting kit that comes with a USB IR receiver. I ordered two of them both my two Minis.

I just got the kits yesterday and used them with my minis.

My feedback:
1) The mounting kit is PLASTIC. Sort of sucks as it has two plastic tabs that hook into the back of the mini. These tabs slide into and then click up higher into the mini. The first mini I mounted one of the plastic tabs snapped off with very little force. The second install I used feather touches to hook it up.

2) The mounting bracket can hook to the back of a TV or to the wall. They did not really include enough nor the right screws for the TV mounts, but I was able to make due on one of my TVs and had enough room for one screw to mount. (Screenshot 1) My other TV I used some velcro I had laying around to attach it.

3) The IR Receiver is pretty nice. It has a long enough cord and has a red led to indicate it received an IR signal. (Screenshot 2)

rfryar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:03 PM   #29
Tivogre

Rfryar, is bet you don't even need to use the USB IR.
Sony 40" HDTV
iRule + iTach Remotes
Old 01-11-2014, 07:49 PM   #30
supasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivogre View Post
Rfryar, is bet you don't even need to use the USB IR.
I didn't (as said above) which was more frustrating because they do not offer the bracket without the USB adapter. Fortunately, I was able to pass the adapter on to a TCF member.

XBOX LIVE: fiftyfootfang
supasta is offline   Reply With Quote