TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:36 AM   #1
rmpearl

Engadget Review

Engadget has chimed in on their review of the Tivo Mini:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/11/tivo-mini-review/
rmpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #2
moyekj

Looks like SP and ToDo management are missing from the Mini according to the review:
Quote:
One of only six of the main menu options on the Premiere, this particular item is the key to what we call DVR maintenance. This means it isn't possible to review the To Do List, manage your Season Passes or to even determine why a show didn't record from the Mini.
Which contradicts posts by some early users of the Mini. I'm confused.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:06 AM   #3
dsnotgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Looks like SP and ToDo management are missing from the Mini according to the review:

Which contradicts posts by some early users of the Mini. I'm confused.
Most of these "journalists " know little of what they type. That goes for all news sites and especially TV . Trust the word of the stranger on the tivo forum than the "journalist" . At least the stranger on the net doesn't have a history of blatantly lying to you and giving false information.
dsnotgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:21 AM   #4
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
The TiVo Mini is smaller than the TiVo Stream and its trapezoid shape is unlike any other device from TiVo.
These are smaller that the Stream? Wow! that is small.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #5
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus View Post
Yeah, it is tiny... which explains the odd shape, they don't want you (foolishly) stacking anything on top of it.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #6
compnurd

I love seeing some of the people post there comments there. If you dont like it dont buy it.. Someone does need to alert engadget to the SP and To do not being correct

and then all of the idiots complaining about No WiFi. I do like that engadget does defend that saying no other TV extender supports Wifi(C31 genie and Joey or any cable MR extender)
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:09 PM   #7
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
Someone does need to alert engadget to the SP and To do not being correct
It seems like none of the review units have supported this. Ben even mentions the option on the screen is missing. I wonder if they are running the same version as those who bought them off the shelf.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:30 PM   #8
sbiller

I seem to recall reading about a way to mount the Mini behind the TV and extending the IR. Looking at the port configuration on the back, it doesn't seem possible. Seems like the bluetooth slide remote is the only currently supported method of controlling the Mini if IR line-of-sight isn't available.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:37 PM   #9
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
I seem to recall reading about a way to mount the Mini behind the TV and extending the IR. Looking at the port configuration on the back, it doesn't seem possible. Seems like the bluetooth slide remote is the only currently supported method of controlling the Mini if IR line-of-sight isn't available.
Since IR bounces off walls, it may very well work behind a tv without direct line of sight. I have a Roku mounted on the back of one of my tvs and it works just fine with IR. It is possible there will be some type of IR extender available.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:40 PM   #10
Philmatic

Quote:
That's not possible:

TiVo Mini: 6.09" x 6.09" x 1.3" (WxDxh)
Tivo Stream: 4" x 4" x 1.05" (WxDxh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
I remember seeing a TiVo provided TV bracket that matches the Mini, maybe it's a separate purchase?
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #11
Austin Bike

I had a friend recommend getting a 4"x4" velcro adhesive patch for mounting an apple tv on the back side of a TV. that might work as well, depending on how the bottom/feet are machined.
Austin Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:34 PM   #12
bdraw

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnotgood View Post
Most of these "journalists " know little of what they type. That goes for all news sites and especially TV . Trust the word of the stranger on the tivo forum than the "journalist" . At least the stranger on the net doesn't have a history of blatantly lying to you and giving false information.
Joined in 2010 and talking all that crap? Would you mind linking to one post or story I've ever posted online that is a "blatant lie."
bdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:53 PM   #13
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraw View Post
Joined in 2010 and talking all that crap? Would you mind linking to one post or story I've ever posted online that is a "blatant lie."
Ya know Ben, some people just can't handle having their baby being called "ugly". The reality is that if people don't take TiVo to task on this stuff (missing Netflix, tuning lag, dynamic tuner allocation) then they won't improve.

Some of us (me) appreciate the review work you guys are doing.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:57 PM   #14
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philmatic View Post

That's not possible:

TiVo Mini: 6.09" x 6.09" x 1.3" (WxDxh)
Tivo Stream: 4" x 4" x 1.05" (WxDxh)

I remember seeing a TiVo provided TV bracket that matches the Mini, maybe it's a separate purchase?
Article says that it is smaller. I would think that it is wrong but thought it was very odd that it would be smaller.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:02 PM   #15
bdraw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Ya know Ben, some people just can't handle having their baby being called "ugly". The reality is that if people don't take TiVo to task on this stuff (missing Netflix, tuning lag, dynamic tuner allocation) then they won't improve.

Some of us (me) appreciate the review work you guys are doing.
I get that, but personal attacks or blanket statements about the media aren't helping.

Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate forums like this. Got my start writing posts at places like this.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:04 PM   #16
bdraw

Quote:
Article says that it is smaller. I would think that it is wrong but thought it was very odd that it would be smaller.
That sentence changed meaning during editing. Thanks to you Philmatic for calling it out, I appreciate the correction and have already fixed it.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:05 PM   #17
dsnotgood

Quote:
Wow. I am saying that I trust the stranger on the net MORE than the news media..Engadget included. Re read what I said...

Btw... I was correct. The poster on the tivo forum was correct..Engadget was wrong.
dsnotgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:11 PM   #18
moyekj

Quote:
Wow. I am saying that I trust the stranger on the net MORE than the news media..Engadget included. Re read what I said...

Btw... I was correct. The poster on the tivo forum was correct..Engadget was wrong.
Could be they are both "right". Since tivo.com video on the Mini doesn't show anything about ToDo & SP management and none of the reviews on the Mini mention that functionality I'm inclined to believe that it is TiVo's intent NOT to have that functionality for the Mini. Could be that "cmonroe" who had early access to a Mini activated it as a Premiere instead, so the back end account config for the device is messed up. Also could mean the capability could be taken away for those that do indeed have it once the config is fixed. That would also imply though that it is possible to have the capability which makes it a head scratcher as to why not include that capability... I'm still confused I guess.

BTW, when I first got a Premiere I transferred over a 3 year pre-pay subscription to it and there were capabilities mysteriously missing on it when I was first using it. After head scratching and contacting 2nd level support at TiVo they figured out the Premiere was incorrectly configured in my account (essentially configured as an S3 unit instead of a Premiere) and they had to update the back end configuration for that device on my account to get things working properly. So looks like back end settings can have quite significant effect on functionality that you see.

Last edited by moyekj : 03-11-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:22 PM   #19
Bigg

Quote:
I love seeing some of the people post there comments there. If you dont like it dont buy it.. Someone does need to alert engadget to the SP and To do not being correct

and then all of the idiots complaining about No WiFi. I do like that engadget does defend that saying no other TV extender supports Wifi(C31 genie and Joey or any cable MR extender)
U-Verse does, but that's what's possible when you compress your video so hard that it looks like YouTube a few years back...
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #20
bdraw

Quote:

Engadget is a web site with many authors. You are saying I'm wrong with no proof, I clearly posted a screen shot without the "Manage Recordings and Downloads" menu used to access the To Do list. I also tried to use the TiVo Central shortcuts for Season Pass manger & ToDo List (1&2) which just results in error bongs.

I asked TiVo PR about it and this is the response I received "We are looking at adding local management of season passes on Mini in a future release."

You still haven't posted a link to anything I've written that was a "blatant lie."
Old 03-11-2013, 08:59 PM   #21
compnurd

Quote:
Engadget is a web site with many authors. You are saying I'm wrong with no proof, I clearly posted a screen shot without the "Manage Recordings and Downloads" menu used to access the To Do list. I also tried to use the TiVo Central shortcuts for Season Pass manger & ToDo List (1&2) which just results in error bongs.

I asked TiVo PR about it and this is the response I received "We are looking at adding local management of season passes on Mini in a future release."

You still haven't posted a link to anything I've written that was a "blatant lie."
Maybe read someone else's review first?

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...=501876&page=2

Post 31 and there are a couple of others confirming functionality
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:01 PM   #22
jfh3

Didn't Engadget have an earlier level of the Mini software than the poster who got the box early from Best Buy? It's quite possible that both are correct - the function didn't exist, but does now.

We'll certainly know for sure in a few days when the next wave of owners come online. I got a note from TiVo earlier today that my Mini had shipped.

Last edited by jfh3 : 03-11-2013 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Typo
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:05 PM   #23
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3 View Post
Didn't Engadget have an earlier level of the Mini software than the poster who got the box early from Best Buy. It's quite possible that both are correct - the function didn't exist, but does now.

We'll certainly know for sure in a few days when the next wave of owners come online. I got a note from TiVo earlier today that my Mini had shipped.
+1
A Web app for Roku Remote Control
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:10 PM   #24
bdraw

Quote:
Maybe read someone else's review first?

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...=501876&page=2

Post 31 and there are a couple of others confirming functionality
Your experience is certainly different than mine.

You can see that the "Manage Recordings and Downloads" menu is completely missing from the TiVo Central Menu.

For the record, I want to be wrong about this. I think it is a critical error to leave out anything that would make the experience on the mini inconsistent with that of the Premiere.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:00 PM   #25
SullyND
L: 28-31

Quote:
For the record, I want to be wrong about this. I think it is a critical error to leave out anything that would make the experience on the mini inconsistent with that of the Premiere.
What version of the OS are you running?

Some users reported updating upon setup.

I wonder if this was the reason for the delay (though if it is, not advising the press of it seems beyond crazy)
SullyND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:03 PM   #26
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SullyND View Post
What version of the OS are you running?

Some users reported updating upon setup.

I wonder if this was the reason for the delay (though if it is, not advising the press of it seems beyond crazy)
Some of the users also activated the Mini as if it was a regular TiVo and even went as far as picking the Premiere monthly fee since no other option was available. This to me says the system flagged their boxes as Premieres rather than Minis even though they have since corrected it.

We know TiVo can add and remove features based off the box type which is how MSOs are missing some apps that we have.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:19 PM   #27
Bwatford141

I activated mine on 3/9 (as a mini) and do not have access to season pass manager or TD list. I also have the same software version as cmonroe (20.2.2.1-01-6-A92). This must have something to do with him activating it as a premier.
Bwatford141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:58 PM   #28
bdraw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwatford141 View Post
I activated mine on 3/9 (as a mini) and do not have access to season pass manager or TD list. I also have the same software version as cmonroe (20.2.2.1-01-6-A92). This must have something to do with him activating it as a premier.
My review unit is the same version number.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:19 PM   #29
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwatford141 View Post
The YouTube video created by "cmonroe" and posted by Dave clearly shows his Mini does not have "Manage Recordings and Downloads", unless this is his second Mini, and not the first one which was initially activated as a Premiere.

TiVo Mini Walk-Thru
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

TiVo Mini Channel Changing
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:28 PM   #30
moyekj

Yes, at this point I'm convinced ToDo list + SP Manager functions are NOT supposed to be available via the Mini which along with Netflix missing is disappointing.