TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
View Poll Results: Do you plan to buy a TiVo Mini at launch?
Yes - I plan to buy one Mini 53 32.52%
Yes - I plan to buy two or more 13 7.98%
Maybe, but I will not be an early adopter 47 28.83%
No, I have no plans for a Mini 41 25.15%
Undecided 9 5.52%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 03-07-2013, 05:20 PM   #31
Jonathan_S

I'd kind of like one to have TV in my bedroom again, but then I'd actually have to get a new TV for my bedroom.
(Previous one was an SD set)

I'll be holding off for a bit I think.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:39 PM   #32
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3 View Post
What is it that you want?
  • Support for OTA - 2 tuner boxes
  • Netflix
  • Amazon Streaming
  • Vudu
  • Integrated NPL
  • A lot more for $250

magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #33
Saxion
Substantive Member

If the price was <$200 and it worked with a 2-tuner Premiere, I'd buy one. Otherwise no sale.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:21 PM   #34
Videodrome
tivo - please wait..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrumpneuma View Post
Permission to use the hardware.
That is not reason enough, i already paid for the hardware. Tivo offers nothing with a monthly fee attached. What does the mini download or need to be updated for that price ,nothing, its simply theft. Sorry no thanks.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #35
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I was going to buy a Mini, but I gave up waiting and added a third Premiere, which I put into my legacy $6.95/month spot.
Slingbox M1

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:05 PM   #36
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videodrome View Post
That is not reason enough, i already paid for the hardware. Tivo offers nothing with a monthly fee attached. What does the mini download or need to be updated for that price ,nothing, its simply theft. Sorry no thanks.
What if it was released with a flat fee of $250 and no mention of a service fee? Is that still theft? The Ceton Echo, which does basically the same thing for HTPCs, costs $180. So $250 for the Mini isn't completely out of line.

The only reason they break it down to $100 for the hardware and $6/mo or $150/lifetime because that's how their business is structured and it looks better on their books. Plus it gives customers a lower cost of entry (>50% of TiVos subscribers pay for monthly service) if they're willing to pay $6/mo forever.

The Mini may be more expensive then you expected but it's hardly "theft".
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:05 PM   #37
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
I was going to buy a Mini, but I gave up waiting and added a third Premiere, which I put into my legacy $6.95/month spot.
How did you pull that off? I thought they wouldn't allow a Premiere to pay the legacy $6.95/mo rate?
Old 03-08-2013, 05:18 PM   #38
atmuscarella

Quote:
If you don't think a Mini is worth $250 or $100 + $6/mo for as long as you want to use it, that is your business, simple don't buy it. Accusing TiVo of theft because they won't sell you a Mini at the price you want to pay is just being an *ssho**.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:57 PM   #39
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post

How did you pull that off? I thought they wouldn't allow a Premiere to pay the legacy $6.95/mo rate?
I've had a Premiere on the $6.95 rate since the launch three years ago.

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:20 PM   #40
davezatz
Funkadelic

I just was at Best Buy and saw the Big Jambox for $300. I'd say comparatively the TiVo Mini is a pretty decent deal at $250. Of course, you need a 4-tuner TiVo on the other end - and that ain't chump change.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:22 PM   #41
CubsWin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahohmei View Post
I will only buy one if/when it works with the TiVo Premiere two-tuner, since that's what we have now.
Same here. I would buy one for sure, but I have the original 2-tuner Premiere. I assume this is TiVo's way to try to force people to upgrade to newer Premiere's, but in my case that isn't going to happen.
CubsWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:51 AM   #42
emeril2k1

I've been wanting a mini since I first heard about it over a year ago. The 4 tuner requirement is a deal breaker. I don't need a live-tv stream. If I have to buy a 4-tuner unit I may as well just move the old unit to the bedroom and skip the mini.
emeril2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:12 AM   #43
bradleys
It'll be fine....

I am waiting for a refresh in Premier line. I suspect we will see a 6 tuner DVR with upgraded processor late this year or early next.

I will upgrade to a new DVR and three Minis at that time.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #44
cmeinck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
I am waiting for a refresh in Premier line. I suspect we will see a 6 tuner DVR with upgraded processor late this year or early next.

I will upgrade to a new DVR and three Minis at that time.
Same here. Buying a 4-tuner Premiere only to downgrade it to a 3-tuner (with TiVo Mini) doesn't make sense to me. When they go 6 tuner, I'll jump in on their whole house system.

They should have timed this better. TiVo Mini by itself is ok. If they released new hardware and created a set of attractive home bundles, I'd count myself among those who would be excited. I have (2) Premiere XL's and (1) Premiere. A 6-tuner plus 3 minis is my future system.
cmeinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:11 PM   #45
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

I went ahead and ordered one.

It has the 30 day guarantee, if I don't like it, or am just unsure about it, it will only cost me return shipping.

When I see others saying they want to wait for the 6-tuner or whatever is next, I think they need to have their heads examined. We waited so long for the Mini, and if speculation for a 6-tuner box is at the end of this year or early next, there is no doubt that it is a loooooong way off. It is just not worthwhile to "wait" for a new product from TiVo.
TiVo HDXL
TiVo HD
Retired: TiVo Series 2 ST, Philips Series 1 HDR212
NotNowChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:21 PM   #46
cmeinck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNowChief View Post
I went ahead and ordered one.

It has the 30 day guarantee, if I don't like it, or am just unsure about it, it will only cost me return shipping.

When I see others saying they want to wait for the 6-tuner or whatever is next, I think they need to have their heads examined. We waited so long for the Mini, and if speculation for a 6-tuner box is at the end of this year or early next, there is no doubt that it is a loooooong way off. It is just not worthwhile to "wait" for a new product from TiVo.
The trouble with the mini is that for most, it requires new hardware. If I had a 4-tuner Premiere, I'd buy one. Having two XL's, I'd need at least an XL4 plus a mini, leaving me with 3 tuners for recording, rather than the 4 I have now. It also wouldn't allow me to transition to one box plus mini's in each room.

I'm not terribly resistant to the Mini as I am about having to pick up an XL4 that could be outdated in a year and isn't suitable for a true whole house solution.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:56 PM   #47
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeinck View Post
The trouble with the mini is that for most, it requires new hardware.
The mini isn't designed for existing customers. I'm not sure why people with 2-tuner TiVos expect the Mini to be designed for them. Any live tv extender hardware is going to require a host with lots of tuners. Sure they could of added in support for setting up with no live tv support 2 tuner setups. But that isn't a good user experience. They are trying to sell a whole home system that just works.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:02 PM   #48
cmeinck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
The mini isn't designed for existing customers. I'm not sure why people with 2-tuner TiVos expect the Mini to be designed for them. Any live tv extender hardware is going to require a host with lots of tuners. Sure they could of added in support for setting up with no live tv support 2 tuner setups. But that isn't a good user experience. They are trying to sell a whole home system that just works.
I'm not expecting it to work with my hardware. I'm just stating that it's a less compelling product considering it requires you purchase the older Tivo Premiere 4/XL4. Even pared with that product, it doesn't provide for a typical whole home solution. At best, it's a two room solution and a poor one. If you own a 4, it makes sense. Not sure it makes sense for those without a 4 or those of us looking for a true whole home solution.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #49
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
The mini isn't designed for existing customers. ..............................
Aren't most of the initial sales going to be to existing customers? I know I plan on getting one. I already have two elites and one two tuner Premiere.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:19 PM   #50
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Aren't most of the initial sales going to be to existing customers? I know I plan on getting one. I already have two elites and one two tuner Premiere.
I doubt they are expecting very many retail sales at launch. It's truly a MSO product. My guess later this year they will start pushing retail bundles that will make sense to try to attract new customers.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #51
ducker

Hell, I'd love the mini If I was to use my 2 tuner premier unit... Why? To watch previously recorded material - and premium content material. I can't do that with my stream The percent of Live content I watch in any given week must be less than 5% of my total viewing time.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:27 PM   #52
kilcher

I've been asking for something like this for a long time. Would love to have one for our bedroom. $250 is way too much though. Most I'd pay is $150. So add me to the list of people waiting for refurbs to hit the internet.

ETA: Also, the 2 tuner requirement is killing this as well.

Hopefully this will all be in the next TiVo box (for roughly the same price point). TiVo's coming out with too many boxes.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:08 PM   #53
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilcher View Post
I've been asking for something like this for a long time. Would love to have one for our bedroom. $250 is way too much though. Most I'd pay is $150. So add me to the list of people waiting for refurbs to hit the internet.

ETA: Also, the 2 tuner requirement is killing this as well.

Hopefully this will all be in the next TiVo box (for roughly the same price point). TiVo's coming out with too many boxes.
The Tivo Stream functionality is expected to be in the next generation of DVRs. Obviously, the function of the Mini could not be included in the DVR box.

I doubt very seriously that you will see any/many lifetimed minis on the secondary market for a long time. If there are any Mini's, I would expect them to have been those with monthly subs on them and I doubt any refurbs offered by Tivo will be discounted all that much.

- Premiere (2TB) x2 (both for sale - PM me)
- Elite XL4 (for sale)
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:09 PM   #54
jfh3

Quote:
I doubt they are expecting very many retail sales at launch. It's truly a MSO product. My guess later this year they will start pushing retail bundles that will make sense to try to attract new customers.
+1

- Premiere (2TB) x2 (both for sale - PM me)
- Elite XL4 (for sale)
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:40 PM   #55
Videodrome
tivo - please wait..

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
If you don't think a Mini is worth $250 or $100 + $6/mo for as long as you want to use it, that is your business, simple don't buy it. Accusing TiVo of theft because they won't sell you a Mini at the price you want to pay is just being an *ssho**.

The mini is worth at most $40, look at Ruku. Which is already compatible with Verizon and can do 100 more things . There is zero advantage to buying over keeping my present box. I think you being a fool. You could almost build an htpc for that , and just rent an addition cable card. BTW using curse words just diminishes your argument.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #56
atmuscarella

Quote:
The mini is worth at most $40, look at Ruku. Which is already compatible with Verizon and can do 100 more things . There is zero advantage to buying over keeping my present box. I think you being a fool. You could almost build an htpc for that , and just rent an addition cable card. BTW using curse words just diminishes your argument.
My issue was with you accusing TiVo of theft because of the price, not if a Mini is worth what TiVo is selling it for or not.

In fact have no intention of arguing what a Mini is worth at all. What something is worth is a personal decision based on personal judgments. So if someone believes a Mini is worth $250 and is a good value they are correct, if someone else thinks a Mini is a bad value and not worth $250 they are also correct.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:15 PM   #57
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNowChief View Post
I'm not sure your cynical outlook should be heeded. The same guy who told us that a "reliable source" told him the TiVo Mini would be available in March told us a 6 tuner unit would be available in September. He was right about the Mini, so we'll see if he was right about the 6 tuner box. But the recent TiVo FFC waiver request seems to indicate that some sort of new hardware is coming. It may or may not have 6 tuners, but it's almost guaranteed to have a better chip that can run the UI faster.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:25 PM   #58
Videodrome
tivo - please wait..

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
My issue was with you accusing TiVo of theft because of the price, not if a Mini is worth what TiVo is selling it for or not.

In fact have no intention of arguing what a Mini is worth at all. What something is worth is a personal decision based on personal judgments. So if someone believes a Mini is worth $250 and is a good value they are correct, if someone else thinks a Mini is a bad value and not worth $250 they are also correct.

So if you go to a gas station charging you $16 dollars a gallon, vs $3 what are you going to think ?
Old 03-11-2013, 04:27 PM   #59
Tony Chick

I'd buy one for $100, equivalent to a Roku or Apple TV but I'm having a hard time figuring what I'd be paying a subscription for. I already pay a subscription for the XL4 which is basically for the guide info, paying an additional $5 per mo to access one of those "already paid for" tuners and already recorded programs is not sitting well with me. Its just a conceptual thing
Tony Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:51 PM   #60
Dan203
Super Moderator

Why does everyone keep acting like they need some tangible reason, like guide data, to charge a subscription? Do you really think TiVo pays anywhere near $14.95/mo to Tribune for the guide data on your main TiVo?

This is just how TiVo's business model is structured. They sell the hardware at, or below, cost and then make their money on the subscription. If you want a DVR with no "subscription" cost then get a Windows HTPC and a Ceton Echo. (it'll likely cost you more then a XL4/Mini combo)

And I still don't get the comparison to a Roku or Apple TV. Those are both internet streaming devices that only have a value if you subscribe to the services they offer. (i.e. Netflix, iTunes, etc...) The TiVo Mini's main purpose is to extend your TiVo viewing around the house without the need for another full blown TiVo. It's only real competition is a second TiVo, which costs more then double.