TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-11-2013, 09:24 AM   #181
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey ghost View Post
A Mini won't work with a 2 tuner Premier. It will only work with a 4 tuner Tivo. Do you have one of those also?
I'm pretty sure he's not confused. It says he has the 2-tuner sold to a friend. Presumably, he's trying to convey that the Mini will be replacing the 2-tuner in his setup.
tatergator1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:37 AM   #182
GTXgp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwatford141 View Post
Although hijacking one tuner has given me a bit of tuner anxiety.
I agree. If there are 4 shows that need to record on the XL4, does the XL4 take control of the 4th tuner (overriding the Mini) or does the 4th show go into conflict and not record?
GTXgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #183
jjd_87

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTXgp View Post
I agree. If there are 4 shows that need to record on the XL4, does the XL4 take control of the 4th tuner (overriding the Mini) or does the 4th show go into conflict and not record?
For now the 4th show doesn't record. This is suppose to change with a future software update.
jjd_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:21 AM   #184
UCLABB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjd_87 View Post
For now the 4th show doesn't record. This is suppose to change with a future software update.
Actually, maybe it's better the way it is. That way the 4 can figure out how to resolve the conflict such as picking up the repeat episode. Otherwise, a mini viewer might be shut out of being able to use it after the fourth program starts recording.
UCLABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:46 AM   #185
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCLABB View Post
Actually, maybe it's better the way it is. That way the 4 can figure out how to resolve the conflict such as picking up the repeat episode. Otherwise, a mini viewer might be shut out of being able to use it after the fourth program starts recording.
Without a tuner being available I thought you could still watch a recorded program on any TP in your home, of the 4 or 2 tuner type.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #186
jjd_87

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Without a tuner being available I thought you could still watch a recorded program on any TP in your home, of the 4 or 2 tuner type.
Correct. You can even set it up to not use a tuner at all and just use it to watch recordings. Just no live tv if you do that.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #187
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjd_87 View Post
Correct. You can even set it up to not use a tuner at all and just use it to watch recordings. Just no live tv if you do that.
That is great !! how hard is to set the Mini up without any tuners, than at another time get a tuner allocated to the Mini ?? Like switching back and forth tuner/no tuner

Old 03-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #188
johnner1999

i agree - i'd be fine having zero tuners assigned, since in the bedroom we never watch "live" tv... we record all of our shows and I assume/hope, you can start a stream while a show is recording no?
johnner1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #189
jjd_87

Quote:
That is great !! how hard is to set the Mini up without any tuners, than at another time get a tuner allocated to the Mini ?? Like switching back and forth tuner/no tuner
Its a setting on your 4 tuner premiere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivo Mini Start Here Brochure

1. On your TiVo Premiere 4 or XL4/Elite’s TiVo Central screen, go to ‘Settings & Messages’ > ‘Settings’ > ‘Remote, CableCARD, & Devices.’
2. Select ‘Allow Live TV on other devices.’

Old 03-11-2013, 01:47 PM   #190
HarperVision

From how I read it if you happen to say have 2 minis you can tell the host premiere 4 to only share one tuner and then whichever mini grabs it first for live TV has it. It's shared between them in other words, correct? Then the host TiVo will still have 3 tuners to record and use.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:09 PM   #191
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
From how I read it if you happen to say have 2 minis you can tell the host premiere 4 to only share one tuner and then whichever mini grabs it first for live TV has it. It's shared between them in other words, correct? Then the host TiVo will still have 3 tuners to record and use.
Yup. And if/when TiVo gets dynamic tuner allocation working then the XL4 would have that 4th tuner available for doing a scheduled recording.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:15 PM   #192
HarperVision

Thanks! So if they can make the minis share a tuner, why can't the P4? ;-)
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #193
bearcat2000

Has anyone tried to use a slide remote with the mini yet?
bearcat2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:49 PM   #194
sbiller

Quote:
Keep in mind that anytime you switch tuner configuration you lose all in-progress recordings so you'll need to be careful about switching back and forth.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #195
HenryFarpolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat2000 View Post
Has anyone tried to use a slide remote with the mini yet?
I just tried it...it didn't work....I did not play with it to find out why. What I did find is that it controlled the TV it normally controls two rooms away.
HenryFarpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:14 PM   #196
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryFarpolo View Post
I just tried it...it didn't work....I did not play with it to find out why. What I did find is that it controlled the TV it normally controls two rooms away.
Sounds like your Slide Remote is paired with the USB dongle in the other room.

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1788
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:23 PM   #197
Bigg

Quote:
Soon I hope. That's what I'm waiting for. I just can't bring myself to buy 3 year old technology even though I'm dying for a 4 tuner Tivo
Agreed.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:44 PM   #198
jano18

Quote:
A Mini won't work with a 2 tuner Premier. It will only work with a 4 tuner Tivo. Do you have one of those also?
Yes, I have my XL4 in Living Room & a 2 tuner Premiere in my Bedroom that I am selling to my friend for what I paid for it.
jano18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #199
jano18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Yeah, I expect TiVo will get a LOT of returns because of this limitation. I'm sure that within a couple of weeks that during checkout they will have giant bold flashing things reminding customers they have to have a 4 tuner TiVo for this product to work.

Better yet, they could check their account and if they don't own a 4 tuner TiVo they just won't allow sale of the item to that customer without talking to a customer service rep.
If I remember correctly because it was late when I ordered it, they had warnings that you had to have a 4 tuner & either a moca or Ethernet connection available. They specifically state it will not work with a 2 tuner or wifi.
jano18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:53 PM   #200
HenryFarpolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
Sounds like your Slide Remote is paired with the USB dongle in the other room.

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1788
Are you saying the pairing with the USB is providing extended range or the inability to work with the Mini?
HenryFarpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #201
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryFarpolo View Post

Are you saying the pairing with the USB is providing extended range or the inability to work with the Mini?
You would need to plug the USB dongle into the Mini. The Mini does not have built in Bluetooth.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:55 PM   #202
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

I broke down and bought an XL4 and Mini to watch shows in our master bedroom (wife is pregnant).

Activated both at 5:30pm EDT and still can't connect the Mini to the XL4. When I log onto tivo.com and look at my account, it says it's still processing and may take up to 24 hours.

WTH? Does anyone have a realistic time frame to have everything active? I can't even use my TiVo Stream now until the new DVR is registered (don't have a spare CableCard to install in the old Premiere).
Old 03-11-2013, 11:34 PM   #203
Bwatford141

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmedic View Post
I broke down and bought an XL4 and Mini to watch shows in our master bedroom (wife is pregnant).

Activated both at 5:30pm EDT and still can't connect the Mini to the XL4. When I log onto tivo.com and look at my account, it says it's still processing and may take up to 24 hours.

WTH? Does anyone have a realistic time frame to have everything active? I can't even use my TiVo Stream now until the new DVR is registered (don't have a spare CableCard to install in the old Premiere).
My Mini was 100% functional during the 24 hour processing time at tivo.com. How do you have them networked? What is happening on the mini? Did you select "allow live tv on other devices" on your XL4?
Bwatford141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:25 AM   #204
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwatford141 View Post
My Mini was 100% functional during the 24 hour processing time at tivo.com. How do you have them networked? What is happening on the mini? Did you select "allow live tv on other devices" on your XL4?
Yes, I selected allow live TV on other devices on the XL4 (1 tuner). The Mini is connected via MoCA. It's getting a network connection because it's downloaded software updates (or at least connected to the network and downloaded something).

It's stuck on a screen that it can't find a compatible DVR on the network.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:26 AM   #205
moyekj

Quote:
It's stuck on a screen that it can't find a compatible DVR on the network.
Have you tried rebooting the XL4? Note that after getting a new TiVo it does take 48-72 hours for MRV/MRS to work properly, so this could be related. Make sure you login to tivo.com and enable TTG functionality such that system information screen has A,A,A for TiVoToGo. If that's still I,I,I that could be your problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:29 AM   #206
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Have you tried rebooting the XL4? Note that after getting a new TiVo it does take 48-72 hours for MRV/MRS to work properly, so this could be related. Make sure you login to tivo.com and enable TTG functionality such that system information screen has A,A,A for TiVoToGo. If that's still I,I,I that could be your problem.
Twice, and reconnecting to the TiVo center as well.

I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that I activated the XL4 on the multi-service discount plan.

When I log into tivo.com, I was allowed to transfer season passes to the XL4, but when I click on my account it says "We're still processing your activation. Try again in 24 hours." When I click on find shows, it still defaults to the old Premiere and doesn't show the XL4 in the drop down menu.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:47 AM   #207
UCLABB

Quote:

I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that I activated the XL4 on the multi-service discount plan.

When I log into tivo.com, I was allowed to transfer season passes to the XL4, but when I click on my account it says "We're still processing your activation. Try again in 24 hours." When I click on find shows, it still defaults to the old Premiere and doesn't show the XL4 in the drop down menu.
Uh oh. I have the same situation and I have an existing Premiere. I have an XL4 coming tomorrow and the TA and cable card the next day and the mini on Friday. I hope I don't have this problem.

Is your XL4 getting channels?

Last edited by UCLABB : 03-12-2013 at 12:48 AM. Reason: typo
UCLABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:38 AM   #208
morac
Cat God

Quote:

It's likely the XL4 hasn't made a VCM connection yet, which is different than a service connection. It does take a new box awhile to show up, Why not give it the 24 hours it's asking for?

Last edited by morac : 03-12-2013 at 08:41 AM.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:43 AM   #209
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCLABB View Post
Uh oh. I have the same situation and I have an existing Premiere. I have an XL4 coming tomorrow and the TA and cable card the next day and the mini on Friday. I hope I don't have this problem.

Is your XL4 getting channels?
Yea the XL4 was getting channels. Had it up and running fairly quickly. Took Comcast an hour to send the refresh signal. (If you have Comcast, Google their CableCard activation number to save time. Don't call their general number.)

At any rate all is working now. I unplugged the XL4 and Mini, plugged the XL4 back in after a few minutes, then plugged the Mini back in after 15 or so minutes. Not sure if that did it or if the TiVo system just updated (it still says processing activation under the my accounts).

I was able to see it on my iPad with my Stream, so maybe just the Mini needed rebooting. I'm guessing I didn't leave it unplugged long enough to clear the memory the first time I rebooted.

I'm impressed with the picture quality and responsiveness of it. Even switching channels manually is not as bad as I had read before. I was looking through the network status section and saw my MoCA status had transmit and receive rates of 240 and 245 Mbps. Is that actually how fast it's working? I thought MoCA1.1 was limited to around 170?
Old 03-12-2013, 01:54 PM   #210
teklock

The Best Buy in the DFW area has a few on the shelf. I just picked up 2.
teklock is offline   Reply With Quote