TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-10-2013, 10:41 PM   #31
Dan203
Super Moderator

Extended warranty is worth it if you consider the lifetime sub as well. Only 8% if you consider the total cost of $250.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:44 PM   #32
Bwatford141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Extended warranty is worth it if you consider the lifetime sub as well. Only 8% if you consider the total cost of $250.
Good point!
Bwatford141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:47 PM   #33
sbiller

Quote:
Hmmm... but lifetime is for the life of the box. If Best Buy replaces your Mini under the extended warranty, does the Product Lifetime Service transfer?
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:51 PM   #34
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
Hmmm... but lifetime is for the life of the box. If Best Buy replaces your Mini under the extended warranty, does the Product Lifetime Service transfer?
That has been Tivo's policy to date.

- Premiere (2TB) x2 (both for sale - PM me)
- Elite XL4 (for sale)
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:56 PM   #35
jfh3

Quote:
True - I should have factored in PLT, at least for my purchases, but having paid with American Express, I will have a 2 year warranty and still can't see any significant reason the device will fail outside the first months.

I'll save the $ for the warranty on the 6 tuner box with lifetime this fall (or whenever).

- Elite XL4 (for sale)
Old 03-11-2013, 12:43 AM   #36
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3 View Post
I got the warranty on two Elites, but the bang for the buck just isn't there for me with the Mini. 20% for a device that should have a near zero failure rate is not consumer friendly. And the primary reason I got the warranty on the Elites is that there were no confirmed ways to replace a failed hard drive at the time, the only major warranty concern with a TiVo DVR.

The Mini doesn't have a hard drive or a laser - what do you think is likely to fail after the initial warranty period?
Could be the power supply or anything else. Plenty of devices with no moving parts can fail for one reason or another. I'm not saying it's the norm, for any device, but it can happen.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:36 AM   #37
HenryFarpolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwatford141 View Post
I just tried this and, no it will not let you do that.
I don't know how you are trying to do it, but it works fine. Hit pause, select another channel and hit last to return to the paused channel.
HenryFarpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:06 AM   #38
DTxAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryFarpolo View Post
I don't know how you are trying to do it, but it works fine. Hit pause, select another channel and hit last to return to the paused channel.
Bwatford141 had it right. I was asking if you could jump between tuners using the LiveTV button (if you're watching two shows and the two tuners are buffering those shows). Didn't think it would work, but thought I'd ask anyway.
DTxAg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:15 AM   #39
HenryFarpolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTxAg View Post
Bwatford141 had it right. I was asking if you could jump between tuners using the LiveTV button (if you're watching two shows and the two tuners are buffering those shows). Didn't think it would work, but thought I'd ask anyway.
Asked that way, I agree...can't be done.
HenryFarpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:36 PM   #40
HarperVision

Quote:
So is it doing that because when you pause it sets up a recording on the host TiVo, then when you return using "Last" button you're really watching the now recorded version? If not I don't see how the single tuner dedicated to the mini can accomplish that.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:03 PM   #41
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3 View Post
True - I should have factored in PLT, at least for my purchases, but having paid with American Express, I will have a 2 year warranty and still can't see any significant reason the device will fail outside the first months.
These days a lot of devices with no moving parts seem to fail after a few years because of cheap capacitors. My Slingbox died because of this as did my TiVo S3 OLED unit.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #42
jfh3

Quote:
These days a lot of devices with no moving parts seem to fail after a few years because of cheap capacitors. My Slingbox died because of this as did my TiVo S3 OLED unit.
Ah. Good point.

Fortunately, I can use a soldering iron, so still not worth it to me. But perhaps maybe not as near risk free as I thought.

- Elite XL4 (for sale)
Old 03-11-2013, 07:35 PM   #43
Bwatford141

Quote:
Hmmm...I tried this last night and it didn't work. How many tuners do you have allocated to your Mini? I only have one.
Bwatford141 is offline   Reply With Quote