Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-09-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
Bwatford141

Got mine today!

I bought an extra one too
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (56.9 KB, 197 views)
Bwatford141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:41 PM   #2
Digital Man

Where?
Digital Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:50 PM   #3
Bwatford141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Man View Post
Where?
Probably the same store as cmonroe. I only used his information and a friendly customer service rep.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:51 PM   #4
Bwatford141

I was told that it looks like they will be released on or around the 17th.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #5
jmpage2

My local best buy has five in transit, they said they will have them next Tuesday or Thursday so I think a launch early next week makes sense. They won't launch on a Sunday.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:16 PM   #6
Bwatford141

My local best buy didn't have any, but did say that they should have them in on Tuesday. He clearly hadn't heard of the Mini so explained to him that it hasn't been released yet. I'm not familiar with Best Buy's computer systems at all...but he then said, "we'll let me check on it another way." That's when he said that it looks like it will be "for sale" on the 17th.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:19 PM   #7
overFEDEXed

Thursday or Friday for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
My local best buy has five in transit, they said they will have them next Tuesday or Thursday so I think a launch early next week makes sense. They won't launch on a Sunday.
I posted this in another thread.

I ordered two from my local Bestbuy. They said that it should arrive, at the store, by Thursday or Friday. (14th or 15th)
overFEDEXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #8
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
They launched the Elite on a Sunday. I was lucky and got there around opening since the BestBuy only had two or three and sold out almost right away.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:03 AM   #9
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by overFEDEXed View Post
I posted this in another thread.

I ordered two from my local Bestbuy. They said that it should arrive, at the store, by Thursday or Friday. (14th or 15th)

How did you order them? None of my local stores say they can order that SKU yet?
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:47 AM   #10
overFEDEXed

Luck maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3 View Post
How did you order them? None of my local stores say they can order that SKU yet?
I walked in and gave him the SKU. This guy has worked there for a long time. He seems to know what he is doing. Maybe it's the "Luck of the Draw", like when calling Tivo. Also, they did try to sell me the extended warranty. I used Discover, double warranty for free.

I have my printout and my charge pending on my card. When I called the 800 number, she said that she couldn't even order it, because the item wasn't listed on the web site yet???

She did tell me that my in-Store order, was still good for the 15th. (That's March 15th, 2013) just kidding.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:15 AM   #11
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by overFEDEXed View Post
I walked in and gave him the SKU. This guy has worked there for a long time. He seems to know what he is doing. Maybe it's the "Luck of the Draw", like when calling Tivo. Also, they did try to sell me the extended warranty. I used Discover, double warranty for free.

I have my printout and my charge pending on my card. When I called the 800 number, she said that she couldn't even order it, because the item wasn't listed on the web site yet???

She did tell me that my in-Store order, was still good for the 15th. (That's March 15th, 2013) just kidding.
What options were there for the extended warranty and what did it cost? I'm guessing since the Mini is a $100 box, if it's like the ROku 3 extended warranty, you can get four years for only $20. (or two years for $14)
Old 03-10-2013, 11:14 AM   #12
overFEDEXed

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
What options were there for the extended warranty and what did it cost? I'm guessing since the Mini is a $100 box, if it's like the ROku 3 extended warranty, you can get four years for only $20. (or two years for $14)

Sorry,
He offered the extended warranty but I said no thanks, before he gave a price.
Like I said, I used the Discover card so I get a double warranty.

I have used this feature before. I got a $276 check for a Gps unit, that went bad just before the extended warranty expired.
I couldn't believe it.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #13
Bwatford141

When I activated mine tivo offered 2 years for about $30 and 3 years for like $40. I don't remember the exact prices, but it was something like that.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:05 PM   #14
maddigital

Just visited my local BB in Princeton NJ and they had two on the shelf with the other tivo products. Picked them both up no problem. Guess they are out there.
maddigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #15
tbielowicz

Quote:
Just ordered two units from my local Best Buy. They expect them in on Wednesday, March 13th. Could that be the launch day?

Here is the Best Buy extended warranty information. You have 15 days after receipt to elect to purchase.

2 yr - $13.99
4 yr - $19.99

The 4 yr doesn't seem like a bad deal at all. What do you guys think?
tbielowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #16
brucemwilliams
Grand Newbie

Got last one in Bestbuy in Everett, Mass.
$99.99

Unboxing now.
brucemwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:40 PM   #17
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwatford141 View Post
When I activated mine tivo offered 2 years for about $30 and 3 years for like $40. I don't remember the exact prices, but it was something like that.
That's the same price they charge for a warranty on an $800 XL4 with lifetime. Seems high for a $250 mini.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:55 PM   #18
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Ok, so someone finally published the price - $99.99 at Best Buy. How about someone publishing the subscription costs?
Old 03-10-2013, 03:14 PM   #19
maddigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
Ok, so someone finally published the price - $99.99 at Best Buy. How about someone publishing the subscription costs?
$5 a month /yr contract
$149.99 for lifetime.

Warranty was $30/2yr. $40/3yr from TiVo . Assume that retains your lifetime sub if it fails. Best Buy warranty does not if it is replaced.
maddigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:16 PM   #20
jfh3

Ordered two today. Rep told me that for some reason, they could not be shipped to my home, she wasn't sure why it wasn't allowed, but my order would be shipped to store for pickup this Thursday 3/14.

There were no stores in Colorado listing stock, but she said quite a few stores had them in stock now in California.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:18 PM   #21
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbielowicz View Post
Just ordered two units from my local Best Buy. They expect them in on Wednesday, March 13th. Could that be the launch day?

Here is the Best Buy extended warranty information. You have 15 days after receipt to elect to purchase.

2 yr - $13.99
4 yr - $19.99

There are no moving parts. If something doesn't fail in the initial warranty period, it's not likely to fail in 3 or 4 years. I wouldn't even consider a BB warranty for the Mini.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #22
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddigital View Post
Warranty was $30/2yr. $40/3yr from TiVo . Assume that retains your lifetime sub if it fails. Best Buy warranty does not if it is replaced.
That's not true. TiVo honors in store warranties. If you prove that a unit was replaced under an in store warranty they will transfer your lifetime service to the new box.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:40 PM   #23
DavidAsher

Quote:
Ordered two today. Rep told me that for some reason, they could not be shipped to my home, she wasn't sure why it wasn't allowed, but my order would be shipped to store for pickup this Thursday 3/14.

There were no stores in Colorado listing stock, but she said quite a few stores had them in stock now in California.
I actually had two in my hand (Marlborogh, MA), and the store manager caught wind and shut it down just before checking out. TiVo has said no sale until Mar 17th... 5 more minutes and I would've been out the door with them.

DavidAsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:03 PM   #24
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbielowicz View Post

2 yr - $13.99
4 yr - $19.99

I will be getting the 4 year warranty from Best Buy. Those are the same prices for the Roku 3 extended warranty. They are inline with their other products of similar cost. The four year warranty for my Panny 3D BD player was also $20 from BestBuy. The player was $92.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:08 PM   #25
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
There are no moving parts. If something doesn't fail in the initial warranty period, it's not likely to fail in 3 or 4 years. I wouldn't even consider a BB warranty for the Mini.
It's so cheap for the extended warranty. Plus if you ever sell it, it helps with the re-sale too. That's the main reason I got the four year warranty from BestBuy on my two Elites. I knew I would probably be selling them down the road when a Series 5 is released. So a transferable warranty really helps the sale. And I'll get the four year warranty on the Mini as well. Since it's possible I could sell that down the road too. Within four years there might be a replacement for the Mini and I would upgrade right away.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #26
DTxAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwatford141 View Post
I bought an extra one too
Can you tell me if the Mini supports any kind of "swap tuner" functionality? In other words, can you jump from one show being buffered and another show being buffered?

I would assume not since the Mini is tied to one tuner of the Premiere, but I thought I'd ask.
DTxAg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:44 PM   #27
HenryFarpolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTxAg View Post
Can you tell me if the Mini supports any kind of "swap tuner" functionality? In other words, can you jump from one show being buffered and another show being buffered?

I would assume not since the Mini is tied to one tuner of the Premiere, but I thought I'd ask.
If you mean put a show on pause, jump to another channel and return to the paused show...YES.
HenryFarpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:28 PM   #28
Bwatford141

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTxAg View Post

I'm not completely sure what you're asking. Do you mean, can I touch the "live tv" button on the remote and go to another tuner? If so, then no it will not let you do that.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:29 PM   #29
Bwatford141

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryFarpolo View Post
If you mean put a show on pause, jump to another channel and return to the paused show...YES.
I just tried this and, no it will not let you do that.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:31 PM   #30
jfh3

Quote:
It's so cheap for the extended warranty. Plus if you ever sell it, it helps with the re-sale too. That's the main reason I got the four year warranty from BestBuy on my two Elites. I knew I would probably be selling them down the road when a Series 5 is released. So a transferable warranty really helps the sale. And I'll get the four year warranty on the Mini as well. Since it's possible I could sell that down the road too. Within four years there might be a replacement for the Mini and I would upgrade right away.
I got the warranty on two Elites, but the bang for the buck just isn't there for me with the Mini. 20% for a device that should have a near zero failure rate is not consumer friendly. And the primary reason I got the warranty on the Elites is that there were no confirmed ways to replace a failed hard drive at the time, the only major warranty concern with a TiVo DVR.

The Mini doesn't have a hard drive or a laser - what do you think is likely to fail after the initial warranty period?