TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-09-2013, 09:30 AM   #151
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by overFEDEXed View Post
FYI;

I just ordered my two Mini's from Bestbuy.
They have them in the warehouse, of course.
Pickup date is Friday the 15th or sooner, he said.

Maybe they will have them available somewhere else sooner, but I went ahead and ordered them anyway.
How were you cable to order them?
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:36 AM   #152
teklock

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
it's in the other threads here..
teklock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:39 AM   #153
aaronwt
HD Addict

I must have missed it, otherwise I would have tried to order one.

EDIT: I see. that's why people were asking for the SKU. I guess I'll wait until they are in the store. I'm also waiting for the new Sony 3D BD player to show up next week as well. So I'm hoping I can get both at the same time.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:42 AM   #154
atmuscarella

Quote:
Except in a TV they typically charge a premium to have those apps. So the price premium can be $150 to $300 or even more.
It's much cheaper to get a stand alone device. Plus if there is an issue you can easily replace it, unlike if it's in the TV. As far as a BD player, most people still use DVD players. Are these apps also available in DVD players? And the gaming machines use 40 times or more the power than a Roku uses. Plus they are much louder since they have a fan running in them. While the stand alone media players don't typically have a fan.
My point wasn't that you would buy another device instead of a Roku type device it was that you would already be buying one for other reasons. Case in point I just helped my mother purchase a blu-ray play. I got her a Panasonic DMP-BDT220, it cost less than $100 (actually $80 now) is a CNet top pick has Wi-Fi and has an excellent set of streaming apps that would be more than enough for most people. Plus you can not buy a top tier TV without IP/Internet Streaming. Samsung even allows for Processor module upgrades on some of their TVs now to assure you can upgrade them to work with future stream apps. So for people who do buy new TVs, new blu-ray, new gaming consoles, etc. there is less and less reason to look at stand alone streaming players.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:41 AM   #155
overFEDEXed

cmonroe

Quote:
Yes,

Thanks to cmonroe for posting the SKU and Model number. I didn't have it the other day, or I would have ordered then.

My store gets a truck each Thursday and the rep said call him then.
overFEDEXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:42 AM   #156
Bigg

Yeah, I don't think Roku has a very bright future, even with all the apps that they have, as it's basically impossible not to have 2-3 or more devices all with app platforms before you even get to dedicated devices. AppleTV has a very bright future because of AirPlay, even if the content is available elsewhere- the interface of using an iPad to select content and fling it up on the TV is second to none, and works with a much wider variety of content, including YouTube and Podcasts than other platforms support or support well.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:47 PM   #157
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
Yeah, I don't think Roku has a very bright future, even with all the apps that they have, as it's basically impossible not to have 2-3 or more devices all with app platforms before you even get to dedicated devices. AppleTV has a very bright future because of AirPlay, even if the content is available elsewhere- the interface of using an iPad to select content and fling it up on the TV is second to none, and works with a much wider variety of content, including YouTube and Podcasts than other platforms support or support well.
My Samsung TV has something akin to AirPlay. I used it the other day to watch a YouTube video I found on my iPad through my TV. I'm not sure support is quite as universal as AirPlay, since it's not built into the OS, but my point is there are other similar technologies out there and if one takes hold in the Android market it could push the proprietary AirPlay to the side. (people always prefer open standards when available)

I really think that if TiVo puts a fast enough chip in the next gen Premiere, and comes up with a better way to deal with their developer program, they could end up with just as many apps as your typical smart TV. Especially since Samsung also uses Adobe Air and they have apps for pretty much every major service.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #158
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus View Post
And again, I think Tivo is missing it here. They could easily sell these things to a lot more folks (me included)... If they treated this as the product that it should be or charged a decent price for what it is.
Cost for a HD Extender for MVR from my cable company is 11.95 a month.. Which is double the price the mini is a month....

Even with the 99 dollar up front.. it is still cheaper for me to buy a P4 and Minis and pay monthly fee's then my cable companys Multi Room Solution Nevermind buying lifetime.

And unless you are getting new equipment from Direct TV... It is also cheaper then there whole home solution. Both in Main STB(349) cost and STB Extenders(99) (plus 25 dollar a month system fee)

And as i am watching this I am seeing a new Direct TV commercial telling people they only need 1 DVR for there home and you can use genie clients
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:44 PM   #159
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
My Samsung TV has something akin to AirPlay. I used it the other day to watch a YouTube video I found on my iPad through my TV. I'm not sure support is quite as universal as AirPlay, since it's not built into the OS, but my point is there are other similar technologies out there and if one takes hold in the Android market it could push the proprietary AirPlay to the side. (people always prefer open standards when available)

I really think that if TiVo puts a fast enough chip in the next gen Premiere, and comes up with a better way to deal with their developer program, they could end up with just as many apps as your typical smart TV. Especially since Samsung also uses Adobe Air and they have apps for pretty much every major service.
The thing is that Airplay supports pretty much everything on an iPad, not just certain things built into another system.

TiVo could easily attract developer attention, especially if they came out with a streamer box that doesn't require a TiVo DVR (gateway drug). TiVo has the best UI, and is the only system that's truly 100% user intuitive.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:06 PM   #160
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post

Cost for a HD Extender for MVR from my cable company is 11.95 a month.. Which is double the price the mini is a month....

Even with the 99 dollar up front.. it is still cheaper for me to buy a P4 and Minis and pay monthly fee's then my cable companys Multi Room Solution Nevermind buying lifetime.

And unless you are getting new equipment from Direct TV... It is also cheaper then there whole home solution. Both in Main STB(349) cost and STB Extenders(99) (plus 25 dollar a month system fee)

And as i am watching this I am seeing a new Direct TV commercial telling people they only need 1 DVR for there home and you can use genie clients
Yep, I'm not arguing that it might be worth it to some folks. I just think it could be more (feature wise) and when you compare it to the Roku and what this box should be then it just does not add up for some folks. For me, it's never going to make sense until it can do a lot more in regards to streaming other content. I'm waiting till it comes down in price and supports 2 tuner Premieres.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:49 PM   #161
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus View Post
Yep, I'm not arguing that it might be worth it to some folks. I just think it could be more (feature wise) and when you compare it to the Roku and what this box should be then it just does not add up for some folks. For me, it's never going to make sense until it can do a lot more in regards to streaming other content. I'm waiting till it comes down in price and supports 2 tuner Premieres.
And see we are not big streamers. I have a netflix account but it really sucks...

I agree those who Stream and who are cord cutters.. yes this does nothing..

But for the same target audience Verizon/Direct TV/Comcast/Cablevision/Dish are going after which is the 1 DVR and clients to watch TV on.. this is it.. spot on and very cost effective compared to most cable whole home solutions
Old 03-09-2013, 07:55 PM   #162
Bigg

Quote:
And see we are not big streamers. I have a netflix account but it really sucks...

I agree those who Stream and who are cord cutters.. yes this does nothing..

But for the same target audience Verizon/Direct TV/Comcast/Cablevision/Dish are going after which is the 1 DVR and clients to watch TV on.. this is it.. spot on and very cost effective compared to most cable whole home solutions
Correct. It is competing against the MSO's box, and against the Ceton Echo on the enthusiast end. The Mini makes a good whole-home DVR system a lot more reasonable, since it cuts out not only having to buy a $650 TiVo for each TV, but also the CableCard, something that up until now has only been possible with MCE and it's terrible interface.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #163
Austin Bike

There had been rumors of a next gen Apple TV that would be able to run iOS apps (to compete with things like roku). If you can run the TiVo app on the Apple TV, the mini is dead in the water.

Will be interesting to see what happens. All indications from a hardware perspective are that the next generation will be pretty similar to the current model, so that *could* mean some software enhancements could take center stage. Or not (and apple falls behind).
Austin Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:30 AM   #164
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Bike View Post
There had been rumors of a next gen Apple TV that would be able to run iOS apps (to compete with things like roku). If you can run the TiVo app on the Apple TV, the mini is dead in the water.

Will be interesting to see what happens. All indications from a hardware perspective are that the next generation will be pretty similar to the current model, so that *could* mean some software enhancements could take center stage. Or not (and apple falls behind).
Why is the Mini Dead in the Water? you are then assuming someone wants a Apple Product... Then you now have a Stream Product and must have a recording on your main unit everytime you want to watch Live TV
Old 03-10-2013, 11:19 AM   #165
Bigg

Quote:
Why is the Mini Dead in the Water? you are then assuming someone wants a Apple Product... Then you now have a Stream Product and must have a recording on your main unit everytime you want to watch Live TV
I think it would depend on the control lag. Also, while the quality of transcoding the MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 would be fine for a small TV, i.e. kitchen, it would be terrible for a large TV.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:18 PM   #166
tbielowicz

Just ordered two units from my local Best Buy. They expect them in on Wednesday, March 13th. Could that be the launch day?

Here is the Best Buy extended warranty information. You have 15 days after receipt to elect to purchase.

2 yr - $13.99
4 yr - $19.99

The 4 yr doesn't seem like a bad deal at all. What do you guys think?
tbielowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:25 PM   #167
Davelnlr_

$20 extended warranty on a $99 box? Guess it depends if it would include transferring lifetime service to the replacement or not.
Davelnlr_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:45 PM   #168
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
If you can run the TiVo app on the Apple TV, the mini is dead in the water.
How do you figure? Apple TV = $100, TiVo Stream = $130 so all in you're at $230 which is only $20 cheaper then a Mini. And with a Stream/ATV combo all video is converted to 720p with 2ch AAC audio, only trick play options are IR and 30 second skip, and "live TV" is not really live TV it's a macro that starts a recording and then streams that recording.

Unless you already have a TiVo Stream for other purposes, or need to buy a new Apple TV for some other reason, the Mini is clearly the superior choice if you're only desire is to watch TiVo shows on another TV.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:15 PM   #169
Arcady
Stargate Fan

If Apple decides to allow third-party apps on the AppleTV, and if TiVo rewrites the app to run on it, and if you already have a Stream and an AppleTV, then it would work, but still be a half-baked solution.

Remember, when Apple adds a platform with a different screen size, you need a new version of the app to use the new platform's native screen size. When they added the iPad, apps needed to be redone to add 1024x768 or they would run with pixel-doubling from the old iPhone/iPod version. For support on an AppleTV, the app would need to be re-written to support 1280x720 (720p) or 1920x1080 (1080i/p) and what incentive does TiVo have to do that, when they want you to buy a Mini in the first place?

See how many times I wrote "if" above?
Premiere (320GB) w/ MoCA adapter
Mini

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:06 PM   #170
Austin Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
How do you figure? Apple TV = $100, TiVo Stream = $130 so all in you're at $230 which is only $20 cheaper then a Mini. And with a Stream/ATV combo all video is converted to 720p with 2ch AAC audio, only trick play options are IR and 30 second skip, and "live TV" is not really live TV it's a macro that starts a recording and then streams that recording.

Unless you already have a TiVo Stream for other purposes, or need to buy a new Apple TV for some other reason, the Mini is clearly the superior choice if you're only desire is to watch TiVo shows on another TV.
Yes, I had forgotten that you need to buy a stream as well. But, stream + mini vs stream + Apple TV, you'd probably not consider the mini.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:04 PM   #171
compnurd

Quote:
Yes, I had forgotten that you need to buy a stream as well. But, stream + mini vs stream + Apple TV, you'd probably not consider the mini.
It will probably look like **** blown up on a large screen TV
Old 03-10-2013, 08:18 PM   #172
Austin Bike

Actually not. The content looks the same on my iPad and my Apple TV. 1080p.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:06 PM   #173
Bigg

Quote:
Actually not. The content looks the same on my iPad and my Apple TV. 1080p.
Yeah, content can look very good depending on where it's coming from. TWiT looks great on the big screen. It's like 4mbps 720p, but then again they're just sitting there talking.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:09 PM   #174
sbiller

TiVo Mini Page is Live on TiVo.com

http://www.tivo.com/products/tivo-mini/index.html
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:40 PM   #175
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
But the TiVo store is down for maintenance, so you can't actually buy one yet.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:19 PM   #176
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3 View Post
But the TiVo store is down for maintenance, so you can't actually buy one yet.
Did you actually click through and try to buy one?
I got to the point of entering a payment method, but since I don't really need one, I didn't go any further.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:21 PM   #177
Bwatford141

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Did you actually click through and try to buy one?
I got to the point of entering a payment method, but since I don't really need one, I didn't go any further.
It was down for maintenance about 20 minutes ago, but its up and running now.
Bwatford141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:26 PM   #178
DavidAsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwatford141 View Post
It was down for maintenance about 20 minutes ago, but its up and running now.
Yep. Just ordered two. Shows up in order history.
DavidAsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:46 PM   #179
sbiller

Dave & Chad's Review of the Mini

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2013-03/tivo-mini-review/
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:53 PM   #180
JAaronT
Registered Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidAsher View Post
Yep. Just ordered two. Shows up in order history.
Moi aussi.
JAaronT is offline   Reply With Quote