TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #91
Davelnlr_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisadm View Post
Didn't show up yesterday evening either.
I called my local store with the SKU, and he said they had a "bunch" of them at the warehouse, but none of the area stores were slated to carry any...Guess Tivo doesnt have many customers in Arkansas. Guess I wait for the website. Just paired up a third used TivoHD for the guest room with a cablecard from Comcast. At first they told me it would be a $8.95 outlet fee plus $2.95 for the cablecard, but when I got it, she said there was no outlet fee here...so might not need the Mini after all, depends on my actual bill next month
Davelnlr_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:42 PM   #92
rsnaider

My TV does not have HDMI, does the dongle come in the package or do you need to purchase it separately?

TiVo Roamio Pro
TiVo Premier - WD 1TB Expander
TiVo Premier XL
TiVo Premier Elite
TiVo Mini
rsnaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:57 PM   #93
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonroe View Post
No fans, no noise whatsoever. LEDs are much less intrusive as well. This device is *very* bedroom friendly. If you see the hardware pics I posted above it shows the full board. The only things not pictured are the heat sink over the BCM chip and the plastic enclosure.
Can the LEDs be turned off or do they only shut off when the unit is powered off?
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:08 PM   #94
grey ghost

My question is "How far behind the new Mini will the announcement of a new(higher performing) 4 or 6 tuner Tivo be??" Will it coincide with the end of the Premiere 4/Stream bundle special(Mar. 11) or is this just wishful thinking on my part"
grey ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #95
moyekj

Quote:
I suspect I need to setup streambaby or something similar since the mini needs to stream, not copy. If anyone has a pointer on how to set this up on a Mac I'd be happy to test it.
I doubt you will be able to stream directly to the Mini since streambaby is not real streaming, however as I mentioned earlier you should be able to use streambaby to push videos to other TiVos and then you can use MRS from the Mini to play the videos while they push - at least in theory. Installation is pretty simple:
1. Download streambaby-20111203-2132.zip
2. Unzip it to a new folder somewhere.
3. Edit streambaby.ini file to look something like below (change dir.1 setting to be a valid path to your videos, and for pushes to work you have to provide your tivo.com username and password):
(If ffmpeg is already in your path then you are set. Otherwise you can also add ffmpeg.path=/full/path/to/ffmpeg)
Code:
dir.1=/path/to/where/your/videos/are/here
title=streambaby
autogenerate.continue=false
use.title=false
sort.filename=true
mp4module.interleave=false

#pushes
tivo.username=xxxx
tivo.password=xxxx
4. Start streambaby by executing the "streambaby" script.
5. On Mini from TiVo Central choose "Showcases & Apps" and then find streambaby and click on it.
6. Find a video file and press select. I doubt the "Play" option will work on a Mini but you can try it. For push scroll down to "Push video" and use the left/right arrows to select a TiVo you want to push to, then press select.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by moyekj : 03-09-2013 at 06:53 PM.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:59 PM   #96
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey ghost View Post
My question is "How far behind the new Mini will the announcement of a new(higher performing) 4 or 6 tuner Tivo be??" Will it coincide with the end of the Premiere 4/Stream bundle special(Mar. 11) or is this just wishful thinking on my part"
Yeah, I'm wondering this as well, as it seems like they would be a logical pair to re-launch the whole TiVo system, probably with a 6-tuner Premiere with updated silicon.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:32 PM   #97
HarperVision

+2
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:41 PM   #98
Bwatford141

Quote:
Ok, at the "Loading Info" screen now. Moca setup was a breeze. I did the online activation and unfortunately it tried to activate like a normal TiVo (e.g. $12.95/mo or $499/lifetime). I just did the monthly option and figured I'd convert/call TiVo once it goes live.
I was able to activate mine without any issues. After entering the TSN it was recognized as a Mini and I was given the choice of $5.95 monthly or $149.99 lifetime.
Bwatford141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #99
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwatford141 View Post
I was able to activate mine without any issues. After entering the TSN it was recognized as a Mini and I was given the choice of $5.95 monthly or $149.99 lifetime.
Well at least that is straightened out now. So it sounds like everything should be ready for the official launch. When ever that is.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:06 PM   #100
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
There's no intel suggesting a new box is imminent. But we have intel on a 6-tuner box likely in the fall. We don't know if it's higher performing or not, we just know about the # of tuners. (Though common sense suggests it should have a stronger cpu.)
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #101
SullyND
L:27-31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
There's no intel suggesting a new box is imminent.
Well, there is this.

Quote:
Zatznotfunny
Interestingly, the packaging [for the Mini] seems to confirm rumors of an upcoming retail 6-tuner TiVo DVR: “Compatible with any TiVo DVR with four or more tuners.”

SullyND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:11 PM   #102
davezatz
Funkadelic

Don't think it's imminent. New boxes latter half of summer *at the earliest* would be my *guess*
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:15 PM   #103
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SullyND View Post
Well, there is this.
Saw that. But I trust intel over conjecture.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:38 PM   #104
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
Don't think it's imminent. New boxes latter half of summer *at the earliest* would be my *guess*
The Mini being available at all Best Buys is confusing. I can't decide if it is potentially a bad decision without thinking or if it is a sign of how many tuners the next base TiVo will have.

The Premiere 4, 4XL, and Elite are only sold at the Magnolia stores which of course is the must have model for the Mini. I think it has the potential to lead to a lot of returns if people buy it without researching that it requires a 4 model especially since unless they bought at a Magnolia store they might not even be aware of a 4 tuner model.

With the 4 tuner wording I can't see them changing the packaging of the Mini for the next model TiVo which could be taken to mean the next base might be a 4 tuner.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #105
davezatz
Funkadelic

Do we know it's ALL Best Buys?
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:47 PM   #106
Bwatford141

Quote:
5 of my 6 closest Best Buys are magnolia stores. Of those 6 stores two of them actually Minis in the store. Both of those stores happened to be magnolia stores.
Bwatford141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:47 PM   #107
SullyND
L:27-31

Quote:
Saw that. But I trust intel over conjecture.
It's TiVo, immenent could be 2014.

SullyND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:51 PM   #108
innocentfreak

Quote:
I assumed it was all, but maybe you are right. I hadn't heard anyone mention that picked theirs up that it was from a Magnolia store.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:34 PM   #109
cmonroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwatford141 View Post
Same here, I activated a second today and it was recognized as a mini. I'm sure release is just around the corner.
cmonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:39 PM   #110
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
There's no intel suggesting a new box is imminent. But we have intel on a 6-tuner box likely in the fall. We don't know if it's higher performing or not, we just know about the # of tuners. (Though common sense suggests it should have a stronger cpu.)
Actually there is. TiVo just filed a waiver request with the FCC for multiple units which do not support analog. One of which they mention will support OTA. Last time TiVo filed such a waiver request we got the Elite 90 days later. However the Elite waiver request was filed as a "rush", this new one was not. I'm not sure how long this typically takes without a rush but TiVo must not be in that big of a hurry so I'm guessing we're lookngi at about 6 months. Which would coincide with the end of summer just before the new TV season starts. A historically popular time for TiVo to release new hardware.

My guess as to what we'll get... A 6 tuner cable only unit and a 3 tuner unit that supports OTA. (Maybe a 4 tuner unit with OTA if the chipset can handle it)
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:08 PM   #111
jfh3

Quote:
Info I got today suggests only Magnolia stores.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:45 PM   #112
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I'm not sure how long this typically takes without a rush but TiVo must not be in that big of a hurry so I'm guessing we're lookngi at about 6 months.
I'm aware... I created the waiver thread. 6 months isn't "imminent" in the context of the question I was answering... which is if we would see one at the end of the current bundle promotion. But I did mention the 6-tuner fall product. We're not disagreeing on anything.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 03-09-2013 at 11:52 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:18 AM   #113
unitron

Quote:
I guess that could be one reason the launch was delayed?
Wouldn't it be a kick in the head if the delay was due to a problem caused by the Mayan programmer expired cookie code?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:18 AM   #114
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by overFEDEXed View Post

Also, I don't know if it matters, but the warehouse is 45 minutes from my house.
That depends. Gotta set of bolt cutters and a mini-Maglite?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:33 AM   #115
cmonroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3 View Post
Info I got today suggests only Magnolia stores.
I bought two at my store and it's not a Magnolia store.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:37 AM   #116
cmonroe

Quote:
Same here, I activated a second today and it was recognized as a mini. I'm sure release is just around the corner.
I was wrong, the second did activate but it does not work. Quoting the comment by DailyPlanet here:

Quote:
I was able to activate it at the correct price for lifetime, but when I try to set it up it gives a “TiVo DVR Not Found” error. As well as an error code. When I looked it up on TiVo.com it said this. “NOTE: At this time, a TiVo Mini will not work with a retail TiVo Premiere series DVR.”
I responded with:

Quote:
@DailyPlanet: I purchased a second Mini today and ran into the same problem. Luckily I was able to activate my other Mini (albeit with a monthly plan @ $12.99/mo no contract) as if it were a regular Premiere. That was yesterday; today at activation time it recognized it as a Mini and I purchased lifetime but ran into the same issue. I change my 4-tuner Premiere from allowing 1 tuner for network usage to 2 tuners to no avail.

I think TiVo caught on and is holding back until whenever the actual retail launch date is. The crappy part of the deal is we technically paid for a device and paid for service but we can’t use it. Luckily my primary works; the secondary was to replace the client in the Living Room (where the 4-tuner, SDV adapter, and Stream live currently) and move those devices to the closet. I can wait a few more days to do this.

I’m still quite curious to know why TiVo held up the launch. On my working Mini everything I’ve tested has been rock solid. I took a ton of high quality pictures and a video for zatsnotfunny.com, expect to see them up in a day or two.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:58 AM   #117
mvalpreda

Well....this didn't take long.

eBay Gouger!
mvalpreda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:23 AM   #118
Dan203
Super Moderator

Apparently that's a member here...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=501916
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:41 AM   #119
grey ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvalpreda View Post
Well....this didn't take long.

eBay Gouger!
$250 for a $99 piece of hardware and he justifies the cost because he drove 45 minutes to get it?? The boy needs a tuneup. That's $1.67 per mile!
grey ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:52 AM   #120
cmonroe

Quote:
$250 for a $99 piece of hardware and he justifies the cost because he drove 45 minutes to get it?? The boy needs a tuneup. That's $1.67 per mile!
If these prove to be very hard to find after launch for whatever reason I'll sell my second unit after launch at cost (assuming it's verified working of course). This is *NOT* the unit I tore open for pictures, that one is happily humming along in the bedroom working perfectly Unit #2 isn't working due to TiVo service issues (see my post a few up).

I always hate seeing the iPhone/iPad gougers after launch. It took me 10 minutes to walk into the store and pick up device number 2 and won't take more than that to ship. At this point I feel like I'm hoarding them but as device #2 doesn't function selling it now would be pointless and who knows, on release day they may be everywhere.

Bottom line is I'm willing to sell to the first TCF member who messages me. I'll ship as soon as it starts working if they are back ordered or hard to find. I have one, that's enough to hold me over for now; someone else might as well get some enjoyment out of it.