TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-03-2013, 08:59 PM   #901
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpfan1980 View Post

I think you might want to update to note that you are talking about TB, not GB.
Oops, you're right.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- slydog75

- Bryanmc
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #902
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by timckelley View Post
IIRC my NAS, including its 6 TB, cost somewhere around $400, and I would hope it lasts considerably longer than 5 years.
I have to retract this. I just looked up my records, and by the time you add in sales tax, I spent a hair over $500.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 03-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #903
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
And time is money. Don't forget, time = money.

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:12 PM   #904
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
If a show isn't watched for more than 5 years, do you honestly think your wife is going to go back into the archives on the NAS and watch it? Really?
I've had my doubts, but my wife claims yes.

Quote:
What did she say when you asked [whether she's watched an NAS'd show]?
She said yes she has. I then asked if she watched them by transferring them from the NAS to a TiVo then watching it, or did she watch it off her TiVo just after NASing it, but before deleting it off the TiVo? She said for all but one, it was the latter, but there was one show she did transfer from NAS to TiVo, after the original TiVo deletion, so she could watch it.

For the more common situation (where she watched it before deleting it from her TiVo, but had already NAS'd it), I have a sneaking feeling that she might have never deleted it from the NAS. I think she likes to save certain shows that she's already watched, because she thinks they're good and worth saving, I guess so that she has the option to watch them again later if she wants. I would like to think if the show's not notable though - but that she simply wanted to watch it before losing it - that she'd delete it from the NAS. I guess I should have asked her about that.

Oh wait - she doesn't know how to delete a show from the NAS, and she's never asked me to delete one for her. I need to remind her that she can do this.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 03-03-2013, 09:27 PM   #905
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
LOL. You're a very good husband, Tim. Better than I'd be in that situation, that's for sure.

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Old 03-04-2013, 05:43 PM   #906
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
Sorry to break the news of math to you, but even if you expect your NAS to last a very, very generous 5 years
I don't have a NAS. I have several servers in my house. Two of them are more than 10 years old, one of which is serving video. I expect both (with upgrades, of course - neither has many of their original components, even today) to last until my death.

Quote:
you'd have to have spent less than $8*60mo = $480 on your whole thing, which clearly is not the case. So that one's busted.
The servers are necessary, quite apart from one of them having as part of its duties holding and serving video data. Actually coming up with a correct number for the total cost would be very difficult. At a minimum it is 8 drives * $150 per drive, or $1200. It is probably more like twice that, but then that $8 * 60 figure is nowhere nearly sufficient to cover the cost of renting, and not a tiny fraction of the cost to me in time trying to find content. Multipy by 30 years or so, and your math is closer to correct. That's around $2900, but it doesn't meet my needs effectively.

Quote:
Where did all that stuff come from?
Almost all of it was recorded by the TiVos. A little bit is ripped from DVDs or BluRays. A handful I authored myself.

Quote:
You should try being more engaged in what's going on in the world...
Why? Exactly what benefit has being engaged in the world lent you? What difference will the effort you have spent in being so engaged make in 20 years? In 40 years? What effect will your engagement allow you to have on the world's existence on any time frame - outside the people you know personally?

Quote:
Any of those aren't that interesting to sit there and watch, and it is easy to absorb everything they are saying while doing something else.
No, it is not. It is also not possible to do something else properly, efficiently, and effectively while being distracted by TV, or anything else, for that matter.

Quote:
But I watch them while I'm doing laundry, dishes
I fail to imagine how one could watch TV while doing laundry, unless one has a TV in the laundry room, and ditto washing dishes unless one has a TV in the kitchen. I do not. For me, it is a moot point in any case, because my housekeeper does those things.

Quote:
preparing food
One of the last things I would ever allow myself from which to be distracted is prepapring food. At worst, it could be extremely dangerous. At best, one will tend to wind up with lousy food. When I am cooking, I am cooking. Nothing else. When I am watching TV, I m watching TV. Nothing else. When I drive a car, I drive a car. Nothing else. When I am on the phone, I am on the phone. Nothing else. When I am writing code, I write code. Nothing else. I do not cook, watch TV, write code, or drive while on the phone. I do not have the TV on when I am doing anything else.

Quote:
making lunch for the next day, etc.
I rarely ever prepare food for the next day. If I prepare food, it is for immediate consumption unless I am preparing for a trip or a picnic, or if the food itself takes several days to be ready. My goulash, for example, is best not eaten until at least two days after it is cooked.

The bottom line is this, whatever I do is not worth doing unless it has essentially 100% of my attention, whether it is as simple as brushing my teeth, or as complex as designing a network.

Last edited by lrhorer : 03-04-2013 at 06:09 PM.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:46 PM   #907
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
LOL - this thread's getting weirder (if that's possible.)

Old 03-04-2013, 06:12 PM   #908
lrhorer

Quote:
Fair enough, but is it enlightening, or at least entertaining?
Old 03-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #909
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Fair enough, but is it enlightening, or at least entertaining?
Yes, absolutely and entirely!

Old 03-04-2013, 06:16 PM   #910
lrhorer

Then we of different viewpoints have been of service, and I, at least, am content.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:03 PM   #911
Bigg

Quote:
IIRC my NAS, including its 6 TB, cost somewhere around $400, and I would hope it lasts considerably longer than 5 years.
lrhorer's 99TB has to cost a bit more than that... Even with cheap PC hardware, doing ~100TB is going to be close to $10k assuming large RAID 6 arrays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpfan1980 View Post
I think you might want to update to note that you are talking about TB, not GB.
Hah, I read right over that.

Quote:
LOL. You're a very good husband, Tim. Better than I'd be in that situation, that's for sure.
I'd have to say that's a pretty good excuse to get WAF on building giant RAID arrays and putting them on the network!

Quote:
I don't have a NAS. I have several servers in my house. Two of them are more than 10 years old, one of which is serving video. I expect both (with upgrades, of course - neither has many of their original components, even today) to last until my death.
Ok, even more expensive. Even if you're keeping old hardware alive, eventually it will get out of hand maintenance wise, and you also have to get new drives every few years, not only to keep up with capacity, but because they start to fail.

Quote:
The servers are necessary, quite apart from one of them having as part of its duties holding and serving video data. Actually coming up with a correct number for the total cost would be very difficult. At a minimum it is 8 drives * $150 per drive, or $1200. It is probably more like twice that, but then that $8 * 60 figure is nowhere nearly sufficient to cover the cost of renting, and not a tiny fraction of the cost to me in time trying to find content. Multipy by 30 years or so, and your math is closer to correct. That's around $2900, but it doesn't meet my needs effectively.
You have to look at it over the reasonable life of the servers. Computer hardware doesn't last 30 years. You could keep getting old hardware, and even if it's so old that it's really cheap, you're still going to have a cost to acquiring and maintaining it. Plus, the electric bills for any NAS/server system will be significant.

Quote:
Almost all of it was recorded by the TiVos. A little bit is ripped from DVDs or BluRays. A handful I authored myself.
Holy crap. Digital hoarding to an extreme!

Quote:
Why? Exactly what benefit has being engaged in the world lent you? What difference will the effort you have spent in being so engaged make in 20 years? In 40 years? What effect will your engagement allow you to have on the world's existence on any time frame - outside the people you know personally?
So that I can live an educated life, and know what's going on around me, and in the country. And so that I can have an intelligent discussion with other people about current issues, and really know what's going on.

Quote:
No, it is not. It is also not possible to do something else properly, efficiently, and effectively while being distracted by TV, or anything else, for that matter.
If I take a 10% productivity hit for watching TV, that's a fantastic trade-off to make. I would dread doing anything in the kitchen without TV and podcasts to listen to, so nothing would get done. If you take the 10% performance hit, combined with doing two things at once, you effectively gain 80-90%. Sounds like a good compromise to me.

Quote:
I fail to imagine how one could watch TV while doing laundry, unless one has a TV in the laundry room, and ditto washing dishes unless one has a TV in the kitchen. I do not. For me, it is a moot point in any case, because my housekeeper does those things.
Excuse me and my sub-1% salary. I'm probably in the top 5-10%, not the top 1%. I have a TV in the kitchen, and I fold laundry on my bed, where I have a computer screen where I can stream or watch torrented shows.

Quote:
One of the last things I would ever allow myself from which to be distracted is prepapring food. At worst, it could be extremely dangerous. At best, one will tend to wind up with lousy food. When I am cooking, I am cooking. Nothing else. When I am watching TV, I m watching TV. Nothing else. When I drive a car, I drive a car. Nothing else. When I am on the phone, I am on the phone. Nothing else. When I am writing code, I write code. Nothing else. I do not cook, watch TV, write code, or drive while on the phone. I do not have the TV on when I am doing anything else.
There's not much to mess up while cooking, unless you're just being a klutz. Driving, yes, I put a podcast on and leave the phone alone, since I am sharing a road with other people.

Quote:
I rarely ever prepare food for the next day. If I prepare food, it is for immediate consumption unless I am preparing for a trip or a picnic, or if the food itself takes several days to be ready. My goulash, for example, is best not eaten until at least two days after it is cooked.

The bottom line is this, whatever I do is not worth doing unless it has essentially 100% of my attention, whether it is as simple as brushing my teeth, or as complex as designing a network.
Apparently you and your 1% money doesn't have to make your own lunch, but I do, so it has to be done the night before so that it's ready in the morning. If I didn't have TV to listen to while preparing food, I would never prepare any food, and I'd get really fat from ordering take-out, and my kitchen would be slovenly, unlike the neat, clean, well-ordered place that it is now.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:51 PM   #912
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
For me, it is a moot point in any case, because my housekeeper does those things.
Where's that "Oh, SNAP" photo that's been floating around?

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:21 PM   #913
mattack

Quote:
If a show isn't watched for more than 5 years, do you honestly think your wife is going to go back into the archives on the NAS and watch it? Really?
I admit it's not the same thing at all, but I had a movie on my netflix queue for I think around 10 years before actually watching it (the 13th floor).

I have watched some tivoed stuff *years* after watching it. Not 5 though, I don't think.. only because my S3 drive (and the S3) died.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:45 PM   #914
lrhorer

Quote:
lrhorer's 99TB has to cost a bit more than that... Even with cheap PC hardware, doing ~100TB is going to be close to $10k assuming large RAID 6 arrays.
First of all, my arrays are nowhere near 100T. That was the other poster. My largest array at the moment boasts 18T of available storage, 24T of media. Secondly, a large array does not cost quite that much. If one employs consumer grade media (which works fine for non-commercial purposes), drive space is under $50 per TB, and array chassis plus controllers are available for about $60 per spindle. A 20 drive chassis fully loaded with 3T drives runs about $4200, and delivers between 51T and 60T of storage with moderate to no redundancy. Loaded with 4T drives, it will deliver between 68T and 80T for about $7000. I expect that number to drop below $5500 later this year. I would not be at all surprised if by Christmas a 100T array employing 4T spindles with 4 parity drives can be had for under $8000, or with no redundancy for around $7000. An array employing 3T spindles can be had for that right now. That said, I am not planning to grow any of my arrays beyond 32T of storage any time this year, and maybe not beyond 24T.

Quote:
Ok, even more expensive. Even if you're keeping old hardware alive, eventually it will get out of hand maintenance wise, and you also have to get new drives every few years, not only to keep up with capacity, but because they start to fail.
Of course. The same is true of desktop PCs and DVRs. I imagine more than half of the Premieres out there are upgrade purchases.

Quote:
You have to look at it over the reasonable life of the servers. Computer hardware doesn't last 30 years.
Yes, it does in some cases. At work I manage more than 50 hard drive based controllers whose drives have been spinning continuously since the early to middle 1990s.

Quote:
You could keep getting old hardware, and even if it's so old that it's really cheap, you're still going to have a cost to acquiring and maintaining it. Plus, the electric bills for any NAS/server system will be significant.
True, but then so is a monthly fee for online rentals for the reminder of my life. The most important point, which you continuously avoid, however, is that the storage pool of any rental service is maintained by someone else. The most unacceptable thing about Netflix et al is their pathetic selection. The second most important point is that most of the selection is a mound of garbage, and I would have to wade through that mound continuously to make use of it. On my server, virtually every single show is something I will enjoy watching at some point in time, and the vast majority I will enjoy again, and again, and again. Just last night my sister and I watched Little Man Tate and Finian's Rainbow. It was her first time to see Little Man Tate, and my fourth. I've watched Finian's Rainbow at least ten times. Both look to be available only on DVD: no HD and no streaming, AFAICT. So much for the usefulness of Netflix.

Quote:
Holy crap. Digital hoarding to an extreme!
Don't be moronic. Hoarding implies collecting large numbers of items which will never see use, and it usually connotes indiscriminate collecting. Apparently you think anyone who has a library is hoarding. I have a modest book library, as well as a moderate film library. I enjoy - and occasionally employ - selections from both on a very regular basis. Almost none of the selections in either one will never see use by me again, unless I get hit by a bus in the next few weeks or something.

Quote:
So that I can live an educated life
That is certainly not the way to do it. To live an educated life, you need to seek the content of a library, but apparently you find that something only a hoarder will do. An education implies useful knowledge, not reams of useless trivia. If it isn't going to be useful and important ten years from now, then it is just frivolous noise. What's worse, the so-called news is rarely, if ever, even useful at all, even today. Mostly it is nothing but sensationalist crap about what talentless starlet cheated on what spoiled movie star, or what prima donna sports star is demanding how many $millions per year.

Take the O.J. Simpson trial, for example. For the better part of a year, it dominated nearly every newscast. It was an almost completely irrelevant event that deserved nothing more than a 50 word sentence on page 20 of a Los Angeles newspaper. The fact the trial itself should have lasted no more than a week is another matter.

Quote:
and know what's going on around me, and in the country.
If you think the news does that, then you are a fool. It is very unlikely that any given news feature concerns anyone or anything that will ever impact you personally, and even on those rare occasions, it is absolutely certain that the matter will not be given any in-depth treatment.

Quote:
And so that I can have an intelligent discussion with other people about current issues
That is mostly an oxymoron. It is all but impossible to have an intelligent discussion of a current issue. An intelligent discussion for the most part can only be the result of weeks, months, or perhaps even years of research. In any case, I have more than plenty of material for lively and intelligent discussion to fill several lifetimes contained in the works of Galileo, Isaac Newton, Albert Einstein, William Shakespeare, Sophocles, George Bernard Shaw, Thomas Payne, Vincent van Gogh, Leonardo da Vinci, Piers Anthony, Arthur Conan Doyle, J.K. Rowling and dozens of others represented in my book library, not to mention the nearly 2000 movies and TV series episodes in my film library without having to resort to prattle about Charlie Sheen's most recent meltdown or what some congressman did to one of his interns behind the Lincoln Memorial.

Quote:
and really know what's going on.
You won't find that on any TV, or even in any newspaper. You will only find that which is sensational, which rarely has anything to do with the actual events of import. Most truly important events are boring, and the bulk of all the actual mechanics are not even important taken as an individual event. On person starting their car in the morning has almost no impact at all on anything, but the better part of a billion people starting their cars every morning has a far more reaching impact on you, me, and everyone else than an attempted assassination on some idiot of an elected official. "What is going on" is tens of billions of individual little acts that add up to a sort of momentum beyond the ability of any person to change, or even to comprehend.

Quote:
If I take a 10% productivity hit for watching TV, that's a fantastic trade-off to make.
Usually it is more like a 250% hit. Depending on the task, not only will it take far longer to do both together than it would to concentrate on a single task, the more important aspect is the quality of both.

Quote:
I would dread doing anything in the kitchen without TV and podcasts to listen to, so nothing would get done. If you take the 10% performance hit, combined with doing two things at once, you effectively gain 80-90%. Sounds like a good compromise to me.
Many people make that mistake, and then wonder why they have little free time and why they obtain such poor results.

Quote:
Excuse me and my sub-1% salary. I'm probably in the top 5-10%, not the top 1%.
I don't really know, but I doubt I am in the top 5%.

Quote:
There's not much to mess up while cooking, unless you're just being a klutz.
It sounds to me like you haven't done much cooking. First of all, handling ultra-sharp knives and other cooking utensils requires strict concentration, or else an accident is likely. Of course, in my case, my paralysis definitely does not help, so I must concentrate more than the average person or risk very serious injury. I will say that in over 40 years of cooking for myself, I have never had more than a minor cut, and very few of those. I know a number of people of which this is not true.

More to the point, however, being an effective cook requires careful scheduling of each element of the meal. Failure to plan and watch the clock can result in parts of the meal being inappropriately cold or too hot. Some foods can burn in a matter of just seconds if one is not paying attention. Just the other day I made a mistake and did the mashed potatoes too early, so that by the time they reached the table, they were beginning to get stiff, while my mad rush to get the roast cooked caused it to be unevenly done.

Quote:
Driving, yes, I put a podcast on and leave the phone alone, since I am sharing a road with other people.
Listening to a podcast or similar distraction has been shown to be the equivalent of DUI. Even listening to music impairs one's driving abilities.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #915
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
The most important point, which you continuously avoid, however, is that the storage pool of any rental service is maintained by someone else. The most unacceptable thing about Netflix et al is their pathetic selection. The second most important point is that most of the selection is a mound of garbage, and I would have to wade through that mound continuously to make use of it. On my server, virtually every single show is something I will enjoy watching at some point in time, and the vast majority I will enjoy again, and again, and again.
Hoarding implies collecting large numbers of items which will never see use, and it usually connotes indiscriminate collecting. Apparently you think anyone who has a library is hoarding. I have a modest book library, as well as a moderate film library. I enjoy - and occasionally employ - selections from both on a very regular basis. Almost none of the selections in either one will never see use by me again, unless I get hit by a bus in the next few weeks or something.
To live an educated life, you need to seek the content of a library, but apparently you find that something only a hoarder will do.
Hear, hear!

The whole point of having one's own library and/or collection is that the books/movies/music etc. in the library are matched to one's own taste, and not the taste of what is commercially popular.

Many people assume that if they want something "they can just find it at the library" (or Netflix, or whatever other service), totally oblivious to the fact that even the local public library can only keep so much, and what they keep will be decided on primarily by how much it circulates.

If your own favorite item is obscure, you can't count on some other library having it. The best thing to do is to own one's own copy.

This is a simple fact, apparently impossible to grasp by the people who float along consuming current content and nothing else.

There is nothing wrong with choosing to partake of only current content, and I understand why commercial content providers are forced to act the way they do, but IMHO in the private sphere, it is ill-mannered to dictate to others what they should be watching / reading / hearing, or what they should choose to own.

It is especially puzzling because in so many other areas, people refuse to hire professional services (e.g. plumbers, electricians), preferring to do the work themselves. But apparently this do-it-yourself mentality doesn't apply when I perform the professional services for myself which I know how to do (e.g. acquisitions librarian).

Last edited by murgatroyd : 03-09-2013 at 03:55 PM.
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:07 PM   #916
Bigg

Quote:
First of all, my arrays are nowhere near 100T. That was the other poster. My largest array at the moment boasts 18T of available storage, 24T of media. Secondly, a large array does not cost quite that much. If one employs consumer grade media (which works fine for non-commercial purposes), drive space is under $50 per TB, and array chassis plus controllers are available for about $60 per spindle. A 20 drive chassis fully loaded with 3T drives runs about $4200, and delivers between 51T and 60T of storage with moderate to no redundancy. Loaded with 4T drives, it will deliver between 68T and 80T for about $7000. I expect that number to drop below $5500 later this year. I would not be at all surprised if by Christmas a 100T array employing 4T spindles with 4 parity drives can be had for under $8000, or with no redundancy for around $7000. An array employing 3T spindles can be had for that right now. That said, I am not planning to grow any of my arrays beyond 32T of storage any time this year, and maybe not beyond 24T.
I must have confused you with another poster. My prices were correct, however, I looked them up on Newegg based off of 3TB WD drives running in RAID 6, IIRC.

Quote:
Of course. The same is true of desktop PCs and DVRs. I imagine more than half of the Premieres out there are upgrade purchases.

Yes, it does in some cases. At work I manage more than 50 hard drive based controllers whose drives have been spinning continuously since the early to middle 1990s.
That's getting close to 20 years with enterprise grade hardware, not 30 with consumer grade hardware.

Quote:
True, but then so is a monthly fee for online rentals for the reminder of my life. The most important point, which you continuously avoid, however, is that the storage pool of any rental service is maintained by someone else. The most unacceptable thing about Netflix et al is their pathetic selection. The second most important point is that most of the selection is a mound of garbage, and I would have to wade through that mound continuously to make use of it. On my server, virtually every single show is something I will enjoy watching at some point in time, and the vast majority I will enjoy again, and again, and again. Just last night my sister and I watched Little Man Tate and Finian's Rainbow. It was her first time to see Little Man Tate, and my fourth. I've watched Finian's Rainbow at least ten times. Both look to be available only on DVD: no HD and no streaming, AFAICT. So much for the usefulness of Netflix.
Then go somewhere else. There are tons of options for streaming, and even then, you can't possible watch it all. The concept of re-watching content in this day and age doesn't make any sense either, there's so much new content out there all the time that there's no reason to re-watch most things, other than a few legendary movies, which are easily available everywhere.

Quote:
Don't be moronic. Hoarding implies collecting large numbers of items which will never see use, and it usually connotes indiscriminate collecting. Apparently you think anyone who has a library is hoarding. I have a modest book library, as well as a moderate film library. I enjoy - and occasionally employ - selections from both on a very regular basis. Almost none of the selections in either one will never see use by me again, unless I get hit by a bus in the next few weeks or something.
There is no realistic usage case for even a few TB of TV shows, thus it is hoarding. Certainly not to the extent where it ruins your life like those crazy shows on TLC and A&E, but more like a lot of people's garages and attics, a bunch of crap they're never going to use but still keep around. A certain collection is normal, but not RAID array after RAID array full of the crap.

Quote:
That is certainly not the way to do it. To live an educated life, you need to seek the content of a library, but apparently you find that something only a hoarder will do. An education implies useful knowledge, not reams of useless trivia. If it isn't going to be useful and important ten years from now, then it is just frivolous noise. What's worse, the so-called news is rarely, if ever, even useful at all, even today. Mostly it is nothing but sensationalist crap about what talentless starlet cheated on what spoiled movie star, or what prima donna sports star is demanding how many $millions per year.

Take the O.J. Simpson trial, for example. For the better part of a year, it dominated nearly every newscast. It was an almost completely irrelevant event that deserved nothing more than a 50 word sentence on page 20 of a Los Angeles newspaper. The fact the trial itself should have lasted no more than a week is another matter.
I'm talking about current political and social events that are important. I like to stay educated on what's going on in the world.

Quote:
If you think the news does that, then you are a fool. It is very unlikely that any given news feature concerns anyone or anything that will ever impact you personally, and even on those rare occasions, it is absolutely certain that the matter will not be given any in-depth treatment.
The state of the US economy and political system of course impacts everyone. However, if you go by a strict definition of only things that directly impact you, you will quickly become an ignorant person with no intellectual curiosity. That's a horrible, pathetic existence. People who have intelligence and intelectual curiosity will read and learn about things that they won't do or see or places they won't go, but still gain from the experience.

Quote:
That is mostly an oxymoron. It is all but impossible to have an intelligent discussion of a current issue. An intelligent discussion for the most part can only be the result of weeks, months, or perhaps even years of research. In any case, I have more than plenty of material for lively and intelligent discussion to fill several lifetimes contained in the works of Galileo, Isaac Newton, Albert Einstein, William Shakespeare, Sophocles, George Bernard Shaw, Thomas Payne, Vincent van Gogh, Leonardo da Vinci, Piers Anthony, Arthur Conan Doyle, J.K. Rowling and dozens of others represented in my book library, not to mention the nearly 2000 movies and TV series episodes in my film library without having to resort to prattle about Charlie Sheen's most recent meltdown or what some congressman did to one of his interns behind the Lincoln Memorial.
The world moves at a faster pace than that. I like to be able to have an intelligent conversation about things on a daily or weekly basis, not years later.

Quote:
You won't find that on any TV, or even in any newspaper. You will only find that which is sensational, which rarely has anything to do with the actual events of import. Most truly important events are boring, and the bulk of all the actual mechanics are not even important taken as an individual event. On person starting their car in the morning has almost no impact at all on anything, but the better part of a billion people starting their cars every morning has a far more reaching impact on you, me, and everyone else than an attempted assassination on some idiot of an elected official. "What is going on" is tens of billions of individual little acts that add up to a sort of momentum beyond the ability of any person to change, or even to comprehend.
Not on the evening news. However, ironically the fake news shows dig into a lot of real issues much deeper than the real news, Rachel Maddow does a good job on the purely political side of things, and PBS shows also do a great job of topically discussing things in depth.

Quote:
Usually it is more like a 250% hit. Depending on the task, not only will it take far longer to do both together than it would to concentrate on a single task, the more important aspect is the quality of both.
I'm sorry, but I'm not retarded. I can wash dishes, prepare food, or fold laundry while comprehending what is on my TV. So can most other people.

Quote:
Many people make that mistake, and then wonder why they have little free time and why they obtain such poor results.
It's not a mistake. If I did things linearly, instead of in parallel, I would either do many fewer things (like watch/listen to shows about current events) or I would just about never sleep, and would be totally ineffective at everything.

Quote:
I don't really know, but I doubt I am in the top 5%.
If you weren't, you wouldn't be able to really afford a housekeeper.

Quote:
It sounds to me like you haven't done much cooking. First of all, handling ultra-sharp knives and other cooking utensils requires strict concentration, or else an accident is likely. Of course, in my case, my paralysis definitely does not help, so I must concentrate more than the average person or risk very serious injury. I will say that in over 40 years of cooking for myself, I have never had more than a minor cut, and very few of those. I know a number of people of which this is not true.
I don't really cook much, but I do a decent amount of food prep and cleaning and whatnot in the kitchen. However, I'm not an idiot, I can handle a knife just fine while listening to Jon Stewart or Rachel Maddow. If you have issues handling knives, then you shouldn't be handling them in the first place.

Quote:
More to the point, however, being an effective cook requires careful scheduling of each element of the meal. Failure to plan and watch the clock can result in parts of the meal being inappropriately cold or too hot. Some foods can burn in a matter of just seconds if one is not paying attention. Just the other day I made a mistake and did the mashed potatoes too early, so that by the time they reached the table, they were beginning to get stiff, while my mad rush to get the roast cooked caused it to be unevenly done.
There's more leeway than that. Yes, it does require some planning. Which has nothing to do with also listening to/watching a show at the same time.

Quote:
Listening to a podcast or similar distraction has been shown to be the equivalent of DUI. Even listening to music impairs one's driving abilities.
So the radio, which everyone listens to while they drive, is a horrendous distraction? Give me a break. That's absurd. I'm a better driver while I'm listening to a podcast, as my mind isn't wandering all over the place, and I don't drive nearly as fast (although speed and safety have a limited connection other than KE = .5mv^2).

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
Hear, hear!

The whole point of having one's own library and/or collection is that the books/movies/music etc. in the library are matched to one's own taste, and not the taste of what is commercially popular.
You're acting as if everything that comes out is off the market within months or a few years. That's absurd and completely untrue. The amount of consumer choice has never been higher, and you can find a massive selection of content available on demand between your MSO, iTunes, Amazon, Netflix, VUDU, and the like. More than anyone can watch. If you really need to find something obscure late, someone probably has it on Amazon or Ebay for sale.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:56 PM   #917
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Then go somewhere else. There are tons of options for streaming, and even then, you can't possible watch it all. The concept of re-watching content in this day and age doesn't make any sense either, there's so much new content out there all the time that there's no reason to re-watch most things, other than a few legendary movies, which are easily available everywhere.

You're acting as if everything that comes out is off the market within months or a few years. That's absurd and completely untrue. The amount of consumer choice has never been higher, and you can find a massive selection of content available on demand between your MSO, iTunes, Amazon, Netflix, VUDU, and the like. More than anyone can watch. If you really need to find something obscure late, someone probably has it on Amazon or Ebay for sale.
In short, you are completely clueless.

#1: It's no business of yours if I want to re-watch content that I own. "No reason for you to re-watch things" does not equal "no reason to watch".

You prefer new content. Bully for you. Go watch new content. Don't dictate to other people what they should watch.

#2: IMHO streaming video over the net, for content which is available on physical media, is a colossal waste of bandwidth.

#3: How do you expect "someone probably has it on Amazon or Ebay for sale" if we can't buy it in the first place, because owning our own physical media is being a hoarder? Where do you think secondhand copies come from? Someone has to buy them first or they won't be on the resale market later.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:25 AM   #918
Bigg

Quote:
In short, you are completely clueless.

#1: It's no business of yours if I want to re-watch content that I own. "No reason for you to re-watch things" does not equal "no reason to watch".

You prefer new content. Bully for you. Go watch new content. Don't dictate to other people what they should watch.

#2: IMHO streaming video over the net, for content which is available on physical media, is a colossal waste of bandwidth.

#3: How do you expect "someone probably has it on Amazon or Ebay for sale" if we can't buy it in the first place, because owning our own physical media is being a hoarder? Where do you think secondhand copies come from? Someone has to buy them first or they won't be on the resale market later.
I didn't say owning any media at all was being a hoarder, I said keeping absurd amounts of content around is being a hoarder.

It's not a waste of bandwidth at all. It's putting bandwidth to good use. Considering the internet runs on 40gbps and now now 100gbps connection, I don't think it's going to run out of bandwidth anytime soon.

If you're just sitting around watching the same thing over and over, you're not experiencing what else is out there. That and it's generally boring.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:16 AM   #919
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
I didn't say owning any media at all was being a hoarder, I said keeping absurd amounts of content around is being a hoarder.
Absurd amounts of content -- according to you. Who made you arbiter elegantiae?

You can't argue that it's okay to stream video because the Internet is an unlimited resource, but wag your finger at other people and say they have too much stuff. If there's no ration book for you, what gives you the right to impose rationing on other people?

Quote:
If you're just sitting around watching the same thing over and over, you're not experiencing what else is out there.
And if you are multitasking while you watch, you aren't paying attention, and you haven't really seen it. So you aren't experiencing what is out there at all, or only getting some small percentage.

Just because you have a short attention span, and can't even pay attention to your "new" content when you watch it, is no reason to slam other people who prefer to watch theirs in a different manner than you do.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:02 AM   #920
jcthorne

Quote:
Then we of different viewpoints have been of service, and I, at least, am content.
While I do not always agree with your points of view, I ALWAYS read them as I find them well reasoned and engaging.

As for the comment about being engaged in the world... I guess it depends on which PART of the world. You seem very engaged in some aspects. This fourm as an example. You just seem to choose those parts of interest to you rather than let society dictate what you should be engaged in. I find that refreshing.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:28 AM   #921
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Quote:
I see a concept here, for a new thread even "better" than this one, titled:

"Housekeeper won't delete recordings".

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:24 PM   #922
Bigg

Quote:
Absurd amounts of content -- according to you. Who made you arbiter elegantiae?

You can't argue that it's okay to stream video because the Internet is an unlimited resource, but wag your finger at other people and say they have too much stuff. If there's no ration book for you, what gives you the right to impose rationing on other people?
That comparison makes no sense. I'm not advocating streaming 24/7 either. Ridiculous amount of content relative to how much time a person would have to watch it.

Quote:
And if you are multitasking while you watch, you aren't paying attention, and you haven't really seen it. So you aren't experiencing what is out there at all, or only getting some small percentage.

Just because you have a short attention span, and can't even pay attention to your "new" content when you watch it, is no reason to slam other people who prefer to watch theirs in a different manner than you do.
That also makes no sense. If I had all the time in the world, I'd sit there and watch it, but I don't. The vast majority of the information on those shows isn't visual, it's audio, so an occasional glance at the screen gets you 98% of the way there.

Who said I have a short attention span? NO ONE. Because I don't. So don't imply ridiculous things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
While I do not always agree with your points of view, I ALWAYS read them as I find them well reasoned and engaging.

As for the comment about being engaged in the world... I guess it depends on which PART of the world. You seem very engaged in some aspects. This fourm as an example. You just seem to choose those parts of interest to you rather than let society dictate what you should be engaged in. I find that refreshing.
That's assuming that by ignoring certain parts of society, they aren't important, which is patently false. Technology and politics are two things that everyone should be well versed on, and unfortunately, most people in this country aren't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
I see a concept here, for a new thread even "better" than this one, titled:

"Housekeeper won't delete recordings".
LOL

Your post did not say a single thing that had any logic to it.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #923
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
As long as you have the physical storage space for it. As an adult, I've always lived in one bedroom (or smaller) apartments. I don't have a lot of space for a lot of stuff.
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #924
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
........That also makes no sense. If I had all the time in the world, I'd sit there and watch it, but I don't. The vast majority of the information on those shows isn't visual, it's audio, so an occasional glance at the screen gets you 98% of the way there.
I see a new niche market here for "occasional glance" cable TV, one that would require less than 10% of the bandwidth that digital HD channels do now, thus allowing the inherent unreliability of Tuning Adapters to be dispensed with. A HD Video snapshot would be transmitted perhaps once every several seconds. (A more advanced version would sense when the viewer's eyeballs were aimed at the TV screen and provide on-demand snapshots.)

Carrying the concept even further would lead to "audio only" TV. Oh... I guess that was invented about 100 years ago. Actually, back in the days of TV being only channels 2-13 OTA I had an audio only TV set, err.. radio.

Please consider the above ideas with all the gravity that should pertain to this august thread.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:23 PM   #925
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Please consider the above ideas with all the gravity that should pertain to this august thread.

Old 03-10-2013, 06:36 PM   #926
timckelley
TCFer

My wife hasn't had time yet to read my user doc on pyTiVo, but today I did use some advice given to me by the author himself to set her up so that she can use her laptop to access pyTiVo.

I kind of worry that once she eventually loses her dependence on my assistance to get her shows moved, that she might start going to town archiving shows. I want our NAS to last a good while before filling up, as I shelled out $500 for it.

To be fair, I've wanted an NAS for other reasons, but one is enough in my book.

Btw yesterday, I attached our laser printer to the NAS, effectively making it a network printer. That was nice.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 03-10-2013, 06:40 PM   #927
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I kind of worry that once she eventually loses her dependence on my assistance to get her shows moved, that she might start going to town archiving shows. I want our NAS to last a good while before filling up, as I shelled out $500 for it.
If, (nay, WHEN) your wife begins doing this, you are hereby compelled by this community to create the long-awaited sequel to this thread:

Wife won't stop archiving recordings

Old 03-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #928
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
As long as you have the physical storage space for it. As an adult, I've always lived in one bedroom (or smaller) apartments. I don't have a lot of space for a lot of stuff.
That's not the issue, TB. The issue is that someone else's stuff is not your problem. I don't see why it's anybody's business how big a server someone has, and how many files they have on it. It's their stuff. It's not your stuff. It's not in your way. It's not preventing you from getting to your own stuff.

As a matter of fact, if someone owns their own server or their own physical media, they have done the OPPOSITE of getting in your way to get to your stuff. If they watch their own copies instead of habitually streaming over the net, they aren't hogging bandwidth, and people who are doing more important stuff on the net than watching TV (e.g. you, blogging about legal stuff), can do it more easily.

Edit: for the record, I keep far fewer shows now than I did when I had to rely on videotape to timeshift.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:02 PM   #929
lrhorer

Quote:
While I do not always agree with your points of view
Of course you don't. If you did, then you would either be a sycophant, or me. I'm not sure which idea I find more disturbing.

Fortunately, for all of us, you are neither.

Quote:
I ALWAYS read them as I find them well reasoned and engaging.
Thank you for the kind words. I do try to put some thought into the things I say. It would be disrespectful of the readers here and embarrassing to myself not to at least make the attempt.

Quote:
As for the comment about being engaged in the world... I guess it depends on which PART of the world. You seem very engaged in some aspects.
I took his sentence to mean current and popular events, and assuming the interpretation is correct, he is right. I could not possibly care less about what is popular and I care very little of what is current unless it is likely to have far reaching and highly fundamental impacts, or unless it actually and seriously impacts me or the ones I love. What someone in Los Angeles, or for that matter across town from me does is none of my business, and he or she is free to do it without comment or judgement - or any concern whatsoever - by be.

It's called being free and independent. I don't know. Perhaps in some measure it is an occupational hazard for those of us who spend much of our time contemplating the vastness of the cosmos, its beginning, its fundamental nature, and its end. That is of course assuming I interpreted his position correctly. If his comment about his own educational status was meant to imply I am uneducated in any sense, then I am compelled to respond he is very sadly mistaken.

Quote:
This fourm as an example. You just seem to choose those parts of interest to you rather than let society dictate what you should be engaged in.
Well, there is also a matter of how much time I have to spend on such things. It forces me to be somewhat selective, and if I am going to spend my time without recompense, I see no reason to select that which does not interest me over that which does. I most certainly hope, however, that your assessment of my main motivations is accurate. I fervently hope I don't march to the beat of any drummer, least of all one chose cadence is dictated by a popular vote.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:07 PM   #930
unitron

Quote:
...then you would either be a sycophant, or me. I'm not sure which idea I find more disturbing...
Do the rest of us get to vote on that?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote