Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-09-2013, 12:31 PM   #61
Davisadm
TiVo is Back!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davelnlr_ View Post
Must have been pulled. No longer showing up on the website.
Didn't show up yesterday evening either.
Davisadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #62
puffdaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
Would love to see a confirmation of the BCM7418 but I fear it might be under a glued-on heat sink like the Broadcom SoC in the Elite/XL4.
It's powered by a bcm7418.
puffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #63
cmonroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufo4sale View Post
Can you pause live TV from the Mini?
Yup, you can pause just like on the regular Premiere. In fact, if you turn the TV on which the Mini is connected to, hit the "live TV" button and it maintains the most recent 30 minutes of that channel in buffer just like the premiere does. You can come back to your Mini after having the TV off for say 12 hours and rewind the current channel it's on up to 30 minutes which is handy.
cmonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:46 PM   #64
cmonroe

Sorry the quality is not great, but here's the overall board layout. I couldn't make out more than a Broadcom logo on the die but based on the feature set it aligns well with the 7418 as others have commented. There are 2x Samsung K4B2G1646C chips on board which appear to be 128MB DDR3 RAM, so 256MB total. There is also 1x Samsung KLM2G1HE3F chip that appears to be a 2GB eMMC chip. eMMC includes the MMC interface, flash memory, and flash memory controller on on a single chip. Without digging in deeper likely this is used to store the OS and also contains a partition for buffering up media.

I didn't notice any obvious connectors, except the 4 pin connector in the bottom right of IMG_2399. This may be a serial port but there is no UART chip to be found anywhere; you'd need an adapter that contains the UART on board (if that's what this port even is). This is typical of high production units to reduce cost.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2399.jpg (60.9 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2400.jpg (77.2 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2421.jpg (67.2 KB, 174 views)
Old 03-09-2013, 01:56 PM   #65
boblinds

Did anyone reveal how much this device costs? (Did I miss that while browsing through the thread? )
boblinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:02 PM   #66
HarperVision

$99 plus $149 lifetime or $5.99/month
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:57 PM   #67
cmonroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
$99 plus $149 lifetime or $5.99/month
Yup, receipt was $107.98 with tax here.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:02 PM   #68
Gonats

Time lag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonroe View Post

On the plus side, the user interface experience is MUCH faster. Speed wise it's what the premiere should have been from day 1. On the other hand I would say channel surfing is a thing of the past; it takes a good 2-3 seconds to start the stream.
Im not so worried about the delay starting the stream, but do you have any idea on what, if any, time lag there is between a premiere and attached mini displaying the same program?

I'd like to put a mini in the kitchen for sports, but if folks in the den start cheering 3 seconds before I see it, that would be less than ideal.
Gonats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:13 PM   #69
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonats View Post
Im not so worried about the delay starting the stream, but do you have any idea on what, if any, time lag there is between a premiere and attached mini displaying the same program?

I'd like to put a mini in the kitchen for sports, but if folks in the den start cheering 3 seconds before I see it, that would be less than ideal.
They're two completely different copies of the program so syncing them up would be nearly impossible.

The streaming technology TiVo uses does not mirror what's being played on the host unit, it streams the digital data for the program to the remote unit and that unit plays it back complete with it's own ability to pause, FF, RW, etc... If you want to mirror what's on the TV in the living room your best bet for a no-lag solution would be to simply run a long cable. There are devices call baluns that can send an HDMI signal over a standard cat6 up to 300' feet if a typical 50' cable wont work.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:15 PM   #70
MHunter1
TiVo Bug Hunter

No fan noise?

Quote:
here's the overall board layout
Just to confirm, the Mini has no fan and runs completely silent, unlike the TiVo Stream which produces an annoying hum?
MHunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #71
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davelnlr_ View Post
Must have been pulled. No longer showing up on the website.
It hasn't ever been on the website yet. The SKU is listed in Best Buy's system and has the proper description, but, at least in the Denver area, no stores show any stock or availability at the warehouse.

The interesting thing is that one store told me they don't carry that product, but another store (that has a Magnolia sub store does, but they were currently out of stock). This leads me to wonder if the Mini is going to be available only at the Best Buy locations with Magnolias.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #72
dhoward

I understand what many of you are saying regarding channel surfing. I know I am not alone in the method. I am not technically challenged. However, people watch TV in many ways. There are a lot of times where I might keep switching between two channels trying to multi-task so to speak. I had a Slingcatcher/Slingbox combo, for a while, hooked up to a Tivo. No matter what remote command I used there was always, roughly, a 4-5 second lag before the response. After awhile that got tedious especially during FF or rewinding. I understood the delay since the signal had to pass thru the catcher to the router to the slingbox and finally the Tivo and all the way back. I am concerned the Mini will exhibit this same time delay. I know it will have something for a delay but how much. Will it be faster then the above combo? That is why I am asking the only consumer who actually has one if he knows the time delay. When I sit in front of a Tivo I am looking for fast response time and I get it in its normal configuration. I want something reasonably close in comparison with a Mini. I know it won't be the same time but I hope it will be fast enough to not get aggravating.
dhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #73
cmonroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
They're two completely different copies of the program so syncing them up would be nearly impossible.

The streaming technology TiVo uses does not mirror what's being played on the host unit, it streams the digital data for the program to the remote unit and that unit plays it back complete with it's own ability to pause, FF, RW, etc... If you want to mirror what's on the TV in the living room your best bet for a no-lag solution would be to simply run a long cable. There are devices call baluns that can send an HDMI signal over a standard cat6 up to 300' feet if a typical 50' cable wont work.
Just to confirm yes, there is about a 3 second delay between what you hear on the premiere and what you hear on the mini due to streaming. That being said, I bet if you tuned two minis to the same channel the delay woud be only marginally different (like tuning two premieres to the same live station) as the delay/overhead should be the same. I may pick up another mini today and if I do that I'll report back.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #74
cmonroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoward View Post
I understand what many of you are saying regarding channel surfing. I know I am not alone in the method. I am not technically challenged. However, people watch TV in many ways. There are a lot of times where I might keep switching between two channels trying to multi-task so to speak. I had a Slingcatcher/Slingbox combo, for a while, hooked up to a Tivo. No matter what remote command I used there was always, roughly, a 4-5 second lag before the response. After awhile that got tedious especially during FF or rewinding. I understood the delay since the signal had to pass thru the catcher to the router to the slingbox and finally the Tivo and all the way back. I am concerned the Mini will exhibit this same time delay. I know it will have something for a delay but how much. Will it be faster then the above combo? That is why I am asking the only consumer who actually has one if he knows the time delay. When I sit in front of a Tivo I am looking for fast response time and I get it in its normal configuration. I want something reasonably close in comparison with a Mini. I know it won't be the same time but I hope it will be fast enough to not get aggravating.
The delay should be much less than your old combo. I actually do something similar when watching two shows on the premiere but by switching tuners. Swapping channels on the mini takes about 3-3.5 seconds. Since you are using a TiVo remote you simply hit "Enter/Last" and it swaps back. I would say it adds maybe 0.5-1.0 seconds over doing the same thing on a Premiere (we were discussing the lag in changing channels on a Premiere due to cable cards and other issues in general) so I find it acceptable.

The one thing you lose out on with the mini is buffering. If you switch between 2 tuners on the Premiere you have 30 minutes of buffer (per-tuner) you can rewind and that doesn't go away if you only switch tuners. Since the mini is tied to one tuner swapping channels releases the buffer. My statement from earlier still stands however; if you turn on the mini after say a few hours and hit "Live TV" it maintains a 30 minute buffer of the current channel (until you change it) which is handy if the show that's on when you turn on the TV is something you want to watch. Simply rewind it and watch as if it were recorded.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:49 PM   #75
cmonroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHunter1 View Post
Just to confirm, the Mini has no fan and runs completely silent, unlike the TiVo Stream which produces an annoying hum?
No fans, no noise whatsoever. LEDs are much less intrusive as well. This device is *very* bedroom friendly. If you see the hardware pics I posted above it shows the full board. The only things not pictured are the heat sink over the BCM chip and the plastic enclosure.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #76
Dan203
Super Moderator

And if you touch the trick play controlls on either it will be even more out of sync.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:05 PM   #77
cmonroe

Ok, one more update (sorry for the spam). I tried streaming a show from the other TiVo premiere in my house and it worked fine today. It didn't work yesterday due to networking issues. It doesn't look like i can set the Mini up to use a tuner from the 2-tuner premiere but that may be a config issue on the 2-tuner, I'll check it out.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:15 PM   #78
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
No fans, no noise whatsoever. LEDs are much less intrusive as well. This device is *very* bedroom friendly. If you see the hardware pics I posted above it shows the full board. The only things not pictured are the heat sink over the BCM chip and the plastic enclosure.
I've had a TiVo in the bedroom for almost the last 12 years. Once I get the Mini I don't know how I'll get to sleep without hearing the TiVo fan and hard drive every night. It's going to be so quiet. Probably too quiet.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:15 PM   #79
dhoward

Quote:
The delay should be much less than your old combo. I actually do something similar when watching two shows on the premiere but by switching tuners. Swapping channels on the mini takes about 3-3.5 seconds. Since you are using a TiVo remote you simply hit "Enter/Last" and it swaps back. I would say it adds maybe 0.5-1.0 seconds over doing the same thing on a Premiere (we were discussing the lag in changing channels on a Premiere due to cable cards and other issues in general) so I find it acceptable.

The one thing you lose out on with the mini is buffering. If you switch between 2 tuners on the Premiere you have 30 minutes of buffer (per-tuner) you can rewind and that doesn't go away if you only switch tuners. Since the mini is tied to one tuner swapping channels releases the buffer. My statement from earlier still stands however; if you turn on the mini after say a few hours and hit "Live TV" it maintains a 30 minute buffer of the current channel (until you change it) which is handy if the show that's on when you turn on the TV is something you want to watch. Simply rewind it and watch as if it were recorded.

Ok, one last question. If I hit pause how long before I actually see the pause occur on the TV attached to the mini?
dhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:23 PM   #80
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:

Ok, one last question. If I hit pause how long before I actually see the pause occur on the TV attached to the mini?
Misread that. :-)
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:25 PM   #81
cmonroe

Quote:
Instantly. Same goes for pressing play on paused content. It feels more responsive than using the premiere itself directly.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:28 PM   #82
Kevin249

I'd be interested in this strictly for streaming Recorded content from other Tivos I own, and not necessarily for the tuner features. I own 2 TiVo premieres dual tuners and a HD. Any idea if the streaming of recorded content still work even if I don't have a quad tuner to link it to?
Kevin249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:28 PM   #83
Dan203
Super Moderator

Controls are instant. This is not like a slingbox where it is mirroring what is on the remote TiVo. The digital data is actually being streamed to the remote TiVo/Mini so it has full control over it without needing to send any signal to the host. I can't comment directly on the Mini but I have multiple Premieres and use MRS all the time. The only place you really notice that you're not using the local TiVo is during FF/RW. The video is a bit choppier then when playing a local recording so it can be a little but more difficult to land exactly where you want after skipping e commercials. However if you get use to it. Plus if you use 30 second scan instead you notice no difference at all. The rest of the trick play features are indistinguishable from playing the same recording on the host TiVo m
Old 03-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #84
davezatz
Funkadelic

In the DC metro region there are 12 Minis in the Maryland warehouse which can be purchased in-store now for in-store or home delivery. I'm not super literate with Best Buy's inventory system but, from what the clerk showed me, it also looks like more units could be on order or enroute.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:30 PM   #85
cmonroe

Quote:
Ok, one more update (sorry for the spam). I tried streaming a show from the other TiVo premiere in my house and it worked fine today. It didn't work yesterday due to networking issues. It doesn't look like i can set the Mini up to use a tuner from the 2-tuner premiere but that may be a config issue on the 2-tuner, I'll check it out.
I checked the 2nd (2-tuner) premiere I have and the "Allow Live TV on Other Devices" menu is missing so I suspect that's why it doesn't work. I'm not sure if this will ever be allowed by TiVo, or if it's maybe one of the bugs they are holding up release for. I've been following the mini pretty closesly but not that closely. I thought I remember reading at one point that initial pairing had to be with a 4-tuner, but you could pair with a 2-tuner afterwards. Maybe I mis-read it or it was another rumor. Either way you can stream content off of the 2-tuner so that's the important part.

Another note: my pyTivo shares are X'd out on the Mini. I suspect I need to setup streambaby or something similar since the mini needs to stream, not copy. If anyone has a pointer on how to set this up on a Mac I'd be happy to test it.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:30 PM   #86
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin249 View Post
I'd be interested in this strictly for streaming Recorded content from other Tivos I own, and not necessarily for the tuner features. I own 2 TiVo premieres dual tuners and a HD. Any idea if the streaming of recorded content still work even if I don't have a quad tuner to link it to?
No. It has to be paired to a 4 tuner unit to even get through setup. Although you may want to do the math. It may work out to replace two of your other units with a 4 tuner box and a Mini depending on how much you pay for CableCARDs and outlet fees.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:33 PM   #87
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
In the DC metro region there are 12 Minis in the Maryland warehouse which can be purchased in-store now for in-store or home delivery. I'm not super literate with Best Buy's inventory system but, from what the clerk showed me, it also looks like more units could be on order or enroute.
I hope so. 12 units for the twenty or more stores in the DC area seems like a small amount. They would sell out very quickly.

I just need to decide if I'm going to make a trip to BestBuy tonight. I typically don't like going there on weekends unless it's early, like AM. Otherwise it's too crowded.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #88
Kevin249

Thanks for the info. I'll have to do the math then and see if the a new quad makes more sense. Too bad you cant just stream recorded content if you don't want the live tv. Also I just called several stores in my area and they told me several nearby stores have it in stock.
Kevin249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #89
Dan203
Super Moderator

Having a 4 tuner unit that can consolidate all your Season Passes into a single box has value in and of itself. Honestly the only reason I still have two TiVos is because my stupid cable company still has some analog only channels and I have to keep a 2 tuner Premiere to record those. When they finally switch to all digital I'm dumping the Premiere and getting a Mini to replace it instead.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:01 PM   #90
overFEDEXed

Mini order

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I hope so. 12 units for the twenty or more stores in the DC area seems like a small amount. They would sell out very quickly.

I just need to decide if I'm going to make a trip to BestBuy tonight. I typically don't like going there on weekends unless it's early, like AM. Otherwise it's too crowded.
I was going to order two more Mini's today (for a relative), after I made my first order. The store said that it was showing "not available" now. Store is Non-Magnolia.

Also, I tried to get the first order shipped to my house, even offering to pay for expedited shipping. The Store employee said that wasn't an option.

At least I THINK that I got my order in. I do have an order number, but it could be canceled, I guess. $213.96 is pending on my Discover card.

Also, I don't know if it matters, but the warehouse is 45 minutes from my house.

Last edited by overFEDEXed : 03-09-2013 at 05:25 PM.
overFEDEXed is offline   Reply With Quote