TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-09-2013, 11:04 AM   #1
nyjack

Move Drive From Tivo HD To Tivo Premiere 4?

I just ordered a new TiVo Premiere 4 from TiVo. From what I understand the Premiere 4 comes with a 500 gb drive but can only record 75 hours of HD programming. My current TiVo HD has a 500 gb drive (I installed this drive myself to increase recording time from 20 hours to 180) but has room to record @ 180 hours of HD programming. Anyone know why the difference? I ask this question because I just ordered a new Premiere 4 and planned to move the drive from my TiVo HD to the premiere? Also, will I be able to simply swap the TiVo Premiere 4's drive with the one from my TiVo Hd?
nyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyjack View Post
I just ordered a new TiVo Premiere 4 from TiVo. From what I understand the Premiere 4 comes with a 500 gb drive but can only record 75 hours of HD programming. My current TiVo HD has a 500 gb drive (I installed this drive myself to increase recording time from 20 hours to 180) but has room to record @ 180 hours of HD programming. Anyone know why the difference? I ask this question because I just ordered a new Premiere 4 and planned to move the drive from my TiVo HD to the premiere? Also, will I be able to simply swap the TiVo Premiere 4's drive with the one from my TiVo Hd?
Assuming that both TiVos are U.S. models, a 500GB drive in a TiVo HD should hold the same number of HD hours as a 500GB drive in a Premiere, except that the software on the Premiere's drive might take up a bit more of the space. But my TiVo HD with a 1TB drive can hold about 157 hours of HD, so it sounds like your TiVo HD must have a 1TB drive. In any case, you can't just swap the drives, since the software on the Premiere's drive will be completely different from that on the TiVo HD's drive.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
nyjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post

Assuming that both TiVos are U.S. models, a 500GB drive in a TiVo HD should hold the same number of HD hours as a 500GB drive in a Premiere, except that the software on the Premiere's drive might take up a bit more of the space. But my TiVo HD with a 1TB drive can hold about 157 hours of HD, so it sounds like your TiVo HD must have a 1TB drive. In any case, you can't just swap the drives, since the software on the Premiere's drive will be completely different from that on the TiVo HD's drive.
Now you've really got me thinking. I was pretty sure I have a 500 gb but you may be right. I'll find out soon.

Thanks,
Jack
nyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:53 PM   #4
unitron

Apparently a recent software upgrade has S4s now listing all recordings, no matter how short, at a minimum of 4GB, even if they wind up smaller once copied to PC.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:34 PM   #5
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Apparently a recent software upgrade has S4s now listing all recordings, no matter how short, at a minimum of 4GB, even if they wind up smaller once copied to PC.
Actually, the minimum reported size is 2.05GB. In any case, I don't really see the relevance. The reported maximum capacity and the reported individual recording size are not related.

To me, the 180 hour reported capacity seems more like you are using 1.2TB of a 1.5TB or 2.0TB drive.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:38 PM   #6
unitron

That's what I get for working from memory.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote