TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-08-2013, 10:01 PM   #31
cmonroe

I asssure you, no unicorns here I was just as skeptical this morning. Oddly I'm in a semi-small area rather than a major metropolitan area... idea idea why the store here had them. Anyway, on to the good stuff...

The box shipped with SW version: 20.2.2-01-6-A92
After a while it upgraded to: 20.2.2.1-01-6-A92

e.g. 20.2.2 vs 20.2.2.1. My Q4 is also running 20.2.2.1.

I attached a USB key to the back and it popped up with a message stating "This TiVo Box does not support attaching a device to add recording space. (E02)" so that's a no-go on playing videos from USB. Like the comments above, it's likely for an IR extender. The device has mounting holes on the bottom so it could be mounted flush to a wall or some other surface.

Season pass manager behaves as if you were sitting in front of the Q4/box the Mini is bound to which is an amazing feature in my mind. I've always hated managing season passes on multiple TiVos.

My old 2-tuner TiVo shows up in the now playing list but I can not see any content on it. Maybe this is a bug or maybe this is by design.

Menu options consist of:

Find TV, Movies & Videos
  • Search
  • Browse TV & Movies
  • Hulu Plus
  • YouTube
  • AOL On
  • Web Video Launchpad

So no Netflix is confirmed (at least for now). Search and Browse work just like the regular Premiere interface.

Music & Photos
  • Spotify
  • Pandora
  • Rhapsody Music Service
  • Live365
  • Podcaster
  • Photos & Slideshows

Apps contains most of the usual stuff. I don't really use this section so don't know what may be missing. I can look for something specific if requested.

Under "Remote & Device Settings" you can choose "Connected TiVo DVR". I have a Q4 and 2-tuner premiere in my network only the Q4 can be selected. So even though I performed initial setup with a Q4 it doesn't look like I can use a tuner from the 2-tuner model for the Mini (yet anyway).

Network based remote controls are still supported. Likewise the TiVo iPhone app works just fine with the Mini.

There is still a setting to disable the front LEDs, however the front LED is very dim and much more bedroom friendly (pic attached).

I am using Moca for network connectivity but am a bit disappointed; unlike the Premiere Q4, the Mini won't act as a Moca gateway. I have one other wired Ethernet device in the room and was hoping to connect it to the Mini and bridge it onto the Moca network but it's simply not possible.

On the plus side, the user interface experience is MUCH faster. Speed wise it's what the premiere should have been from day 1. On the other hand I would say channel surfing is a thing of the past; it takes a good 2-3 seconds to start the stream. I put a video up here.

Lastly, I'm sure many of you noticed from the pictures that the component and composite A/V outputs requires a special cable. My old TV doesn't support audio over HDMI so I had to use a headphone to RCA jack cable to connect auto via the A/V output.

Overall impression is that the Mini is a great extension of the Q4. Rather than a Premiere, cable card, Ethernet switch, and Moca adapter in this space I now simply have a Mini which is great. No more managing multiple season passes or remembering where a certain show recorded is the way things should be. The only two things that disappoint so far are:

1.) No Netflix
2.) Moca doesn't bridge to Ethernet

I suspect both of these (well at least Netflix) will be fixed in future software releases.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2389.jpg (25.4 KB, 240 views)
cmonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #32
MeInDallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonroe View Post

Remote Address: 0(IR), (RF)

Do you think this implies bluetooth might be built in?
This shows on all Tivo's. When you program a remote to be specific to a Tivo it will show a number there. Like if you have 2 Tivo's in the same room, you program a remote for each Tivo (2 remotes). Each Tivo will have a different number assigned to it.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:11 PM   #33
cmonroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
This shows on all Tivo's. When you program a remote to be specific to a Tivo it will show a number there. Like if you have 2 Tivo's in the same room, you program a remote for each Tivo (2 remotes). Each Tivo will have a different number assigned to it.
Thanks for the info. I've never noticed it before so I thought I'd check.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:38 PM   #34
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
The box shipped with SW version: 20.2.2-01-6-A92
After a while it upgraded to: 20.2.2.1-01-6-A92

e.g. 20.2.2 vs 20.2.2.1. My Q4 is also running 20.2.2.1.
You reference your "Q4" is this a Cable Co supplied TiVo Q or a retail Premiere 4 or Elite/XL4?

I ask this question in regards to no Netflix.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:40 PM   #35
moyekj

So from my understanding you're saying that Season Pass manager and ToDo list are available from the Mini (and the corresponding TiVo-1 and Tivo-2 shortcuts work as well)? That conflicts with what the CNET review was implying but it's great news if that is indeed the case.

The fact that UI is MUCH faster is also great news and the main reason I'm interested in the Mini as a front end for my Elite.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:46 PM   #36
cmonroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
So from my understanding you're saying that Season Pass manager and ToDo list are available from the Mini (and the corresponding TiVo-1 and Tivo-2 shortcuts work as well)? That conflicts with what the CNET review was implying but it's great news if that is indeed the case.

The fact that UI is MUCH faster is also great news and the main reason I'm interested in the Mini as a front end for my Elite.
Regarding Q4, my Premiere 4 shows up as a Q4 from the Mini interface. This was a retail purchased 4-tuner premiere.

As for Season pass manager and to-do list yes, they work from the Mini just like they do from the main premiere.

As for TiVo-1 and TiVo-2 shortcuts they show up in the now playing list, but I can't access shows on my second TiVo, only those on the TiVo the Mini is linked to. Maybe this is a bug TiVo help up release for?
Old 03-08-2013, 10:48 PM   #37
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I know the Slide was discontinued recently, but this thing was designed a year or two ago. Plus the Slide is likely to be replaced by an updated version eventually so it may not be as wasteful as it seems. And you never really know what else they might think up that could use a USB port.
I think we're seeing the beginning of a new TiVo system emerging, and the Mini is only a small part of it, although at this point, I don't see the Slide remote making any sense given that you can type through the iPhone app, and then use the regular Peanut on the couch.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:49 PM   #38
moyekj

Quote:
As for Season pass manager and to-do list yes, they work from the Mini just like they do from the main premiere.
Excellent! Very happy to hear that.

Quote:
As for TiVo-1 and TiVo-2 shortcuts they show up in the now playing list, but I can't access shows on my second TiVo, only those on the TiVo the Mini is linked to. Maybe this is a bug TiVo help up release for?
Not sure I follow. Pressing Tivo then 1 is just a shortcut to get to SP Manager and likewise pressing TiVo then 2 is a shortcut to get to ToDo list. I was just wondering if those work like they do for normal TiVo units?

I would expect the SP manager and ToDo list to only control the host unit that the Mini is tied to - that makes sense. It would be nice if you could control any series 4 unit, but the regular series 4 units can't do that to each other right now so I wouldn't expect the Mini to either.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:49 PM   #39
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Regarding Q4, my Premiere 4 shows up as a Q4 from the Mini interface. This was a retail purchased 4-tuner premiere.
I wonder if this indicates the current Mini SW is set-up for MSO partners only, for the time being?

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:35 AM   #40
dhoward

Based on the video it looks like it takes closer to 4-5 seconds for the stream to start after changing channels. That is what my slingbox used to do and I hated it. I thought this might be faster. That is a severe handicap for channel surfing.
dhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:48 AM   #41
jano18

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoward View Post
Based on the video it looks like it takes closer to 4-5 seconds for the stream to start after changing channels. That is what my slingbox used to do and I hated it. I thought this might be faster. That is a severe handicap for channel surfing.
That is slightly disappointing news, but kind of expected. I guess a work around would be surfing the guide. I don't see it as a big issue for me as I will mostly watch one news channel live, stream recordings from my XL4 & occasionally surf.
jano18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:08 AM   #42
dhoward

How fast is the response to pause, FF, play, etc? The slingbox was slow for those features also. Is the Mini faster then the channel surfing mode?
Old 03-09-2013, 05:35 AM   #43
jwagner010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
The USB port is for the Slide remote. The Slide remote comes with a little USB BlueTooth dongle it needs to function. It's highly unlikely the USB port supports any sort of USB storage for local video playback.
It has widely been reported that the Bluetooth remote has been discontinued and I cannot see them for sale on the Tivo site anymore. Do we know if a future Bluetooth remote is coming? IMO that has been one of the best things about the Tivo and differentiates it.
jwagner010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:46 AM   #44
overFEDEXed

stocked up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwagner010 View Post
It has widely been reported that the Bluetooth remote has been discontinued and I cannot see them for sale on the Tivo site anymore. Do we know if a future Bluetooth remote is coming? IMO that has been one of the best things about the Tivo and differentiates it.
I have five Slide remotes. Three in use and two, new in the box, as backups. I paid anywhere from $38 to $58 a piece for them.

In my household, they are great. They are tricky to get right sometimes, but until something new comes out........
The only thing, that I have seen from Tivo, is the survey asking about the lost remote making sounds etc. I can't remember the other info on it.

Also, I tried to get my "Big Box Store" to sell me a Mini. He just looked at me and said "We don't have it for sale, just yet". I don't know if it was in the back or not, but he sure wasn't giving out any other info.

Last edited by overFEDEXed : 03-09-2013 at 05:51 AM.
overFEDEXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:24 AM   #45
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jano18 View Post
That is slightly disappointing news, but kind of expected. I guess a work around would be surfing the guide. I don't see it as a big issue for me as I will mostly watch one news channel live, stream recordings from my XL4 & occasionally surf.
My days of channel surfing ended about 10 years ago when I bought my first tivo. And I was a chronic surfer. Constantly flipping through the stations.
BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:30 AM   #46
dhoward

CMONROE, can you verify the response time for the normal Tivo functions such as FF, REW, Pause, etc? I used to use a Slingbox/Slingcatcher combo and the response time was 3-5 seconds. After awhile that got to be disconcerting so I removed them. I was hoping the Mini would be faster but you mentioned that channel surfing is slow and according to the video it looked like the slingbox response. I want to be able to use the Mini not just to watch recorded shows but also live TV. If its response is 3-5 seconds for all functions then I guess I will save my $250.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:02 AM   #47
bluebsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBetty View Post
My days of channel surfing ended about 10 years ago when I bought my first tivo. And I was a chronic surfer. Constantly flipping through the stations.
oh heck the days of switching channels fast ended when we went to MPEG-2... back when digital first came out changing the channel there was usually a 2+ second delay then the first frame came in as a block pattern and filled out after they keyframe drew... today still on comcast with better hardware there is still a delay of at least a second, not like analog where it was flip flip flip flip... now its flip 1 sec flip 1 sec....
bluebsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:12 AM   #48
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebsh View Post
oh heck the days of switching channels fast ended when we went to MPEG-2... back when digital first came out changing the channel there was usually a 2+ second delay then the first frame came in as a block pattern and filled out after they keyframe drew... today still on comcast with better hardware there is still a delay of at least a second, not like analog where it was flip flip flip flip... now its flip 1 sec flip 1 sec....
Agreed - I tend to surf the guide anyway rather than the channels. That is, unless I'm on one of my TVs that isn't hooked up to a box and therefore has no guide and only has analog cable channels and the local digital channels in clear QAM.
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:21 AM   #49
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Agreed - I tend to surf the guide anyway rather than the channels. That is, unless I'm on one of my TVs that isn't hooked up to a box and therefore has no guide and only has analog cable channels and the local digital channels in clear QAM.
+2. I dont channel surf because my cable company as a assbackwards channel line up. Always check the guide to see what we want to watch. Big reason I love the HDUI because compared to Verizon/Dish/Direct TV/everyone else they have one of largest amounts of data they show.
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:53 AM   #50
bradleys
It'll be fine....

I realize that without a hard drive this unit isn't going to be able to play from pytivo shares directly... No chance that selecting a video from the share would initiate a transfer to the parent TiVo???

Yeah - the question made me chuckle too.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:58 AM   #51
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
I realize that without a hard drive this unit isn't going to be able to play from pytivo shares directly... No chance that selecting a video from the share would initiate a transfer to the parent TiVo???

Yeah - the question made me chuckle too.
You may be able to run VidMgr on the Mini to initiate pushes to other TiVos in the house (assuming VidMgr lets you pick a destination TiVo other than what it is running on which I'm not sure of since I've never used it).
Streambaby for sure has a way to select a destination TiVo to push a video to so presumably should work as well.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:45 AM   #52
tomm1079

Does streambaby work?
tomm1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #53
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm1079 View Post
Does streambaby work?
For "streaming" videos to a Mini, no. Put should be able to use it to select videos to push to another TiVo in the house as I mentioned above.
cmonroe could confirm one way or the other if he's willing to try it.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:48 AM   #54
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jano18 View Post
Does anyone channel surf on TiVo anymore? That's what my technology challenged dad does. Guide surfing is what people if any surfing at all, but at this point, with native output requiring resolution changes about half the time anyways, there is a lot of channel changing lag, and it's for the better.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #55
cmonroe

I posted this in the comments on ZNF, but regarding channel changes and overall speed:

"I posted the review at TiVo Community and what Chucky is saying is my best guess. You figure changing channels on the Premiere directly which has a cable card, and my market just upgraded to SDV ~3 week ago so one of the gigantic Cisco TAs, takes about 2 seconds anyway. The extra second to setup the streaming session if you figure an average of 3 seconds per channel change is nothing. I’d actually have to say that browsing the “Now Playing” list and starting a recorded show on the Mini is faster, even over a network connection, than it is directly on the Premiere. If they add Netfllix support to the Mini and fix tuner allocation I’d almost consider hiding the premiere in a closet somewhere and using the Mini as a thin client for all TVs just due to its responsiveness. I rarely watch live TV so a faster UI + better user experience is a plus in my mind."

@moyekj: Sorry, I didn't follow your comment regarding Tivo-1 and TiVo-2 at first. I've never used those shortcuts but you learn something new ever day. I thought you were referring to TiVo-1 as my primary Premiere and 2 as my secondary. In that case someone had asked if I could stream shows from another premiere in my house, not the one the Mini is bound to. For me at least the second TiVo shows up but I can't see the shows. I was having networking issues last night and will re-try today so my initial comments may be wrong.

@dhoward and others: While channel changes might be slow, like I mentioned above browsing the NPL and starting a recorded show is actually faster which I love. I'll post a comparison video shortly.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #56
cmonroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Surfing the guide is much faster in the Mini than on the regular Premiere so I'd rate the overall experience better on the Mini.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #57
cmonroe

BTW I'll have hardware pics up shortly as well, stay tuned.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #58
sbiller

Quote:
BTW I'll have hardware pics up shortly as well, stay tuned.
Would love to see a confirmation of the BCM7418 but I fear it might be under a glued-on heat sink like the Broadcom SoC in the Elite/XL4.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #59
Davelnlr_

Quote:
@teklock: SKU is 8505056, Model is TCDA92000
Must have been pulled. No longer showing up on the website.
Davelnlr_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:17 PM   #60
ufo4sale

Can you pause live TV from the Mini?