TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.33 average.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:55 PM   #1561
jmpage2

It's rather strange for them to pull this at the last minute. They might have discovered a very serious technical issue that they need a little more time to resolve prior to the launch. I doubt it's to add Netflix or any other window dressing.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #1562
mr_smits

Maybe Tivo is unveiling it on Saturday along with the gdgt event in Austin? From their twitter feed:

"gdgt ‏@gdgt
Get hands on with the new @TiVo Mini at #gdgtAustin and give our friends from @TiVo your feedback. http://bit.ly/gdgtAustin13
Retweeted by TiVo"
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #1563
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

Not sure if this is related or not, but if you read the fine print for the TiVo Premier 4 + Stream + MoCA Adapter, it states the sale ends March 11.

Could TiVo wait until March 12 to release it?

http://www3.tivo.com/promo/p4streamb...mepage_shopnow
Old 03-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #1564
jfh3

I have heard Tuesday, March 12th as well. I don't recall TiVo announcing on days other than Tuesday, so I'd be surprised if we see one Sqturday at the Austin show.

But if they are going to showcase it this weekend, it would be awfully stupid if the release wasn't sometime next week.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #1565
bearcat2000

I think we're all a little tired of guessing as we thought we would already have it set up and be using it by now.
bearcat2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:53 PM   #1566
mahohmei

My question still remains unanswered: are there any future plans for the mini to work with the two-tuner Premiere, for us two-tuner Premiere lifetime owners?
mahohmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #1567
DaveDFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahohmei View Post
My question still remains unanswered: are there any future plans for the mini to work with the two-tuner Premiere, for us two-tuner Premiere lifetime owners?
I don't think anyone knows the answer to that question yet. As far as we know, a Mini will require a four-tuner Tivo for initial setup but after being set up, the Mini should stream from any other two-tuner Premieres on your network.

So the real question is whether Tivo will remove the four-tuner requirement for initial setup.
DaveDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:42 PM   #1568
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDFW View Post
I don't think anyone knows the answer to that question yet. As far as we know, a Mini will require a four-tuner Tivo for initial setup but after being set up, the Mini should stream from any other two-tuner Premieres on your network.

So the real question is whether Tivo will remove the four-tuner requirement for initial setup.
My guess would be that TiVo will remove the four-tuner requirement when they release new software with dynamic tuner allocation.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:10 PM   #1569
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
My guess would be that TiVo will remove the four-tuner requirement when they release new software with dynamic tuner allocation.
That's my guess as well. But there are no guarantees. They could use the Mini as a carrot to get more people to upgrade to 4 tuner boxes.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #1570
davezatz
Funkadelic

CNET's review has been indexed by Google and it pretty much confirms pricing and absence of Netflix while indicating a "fairly lag-free" experience in pulling content from the source DVR.

davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #1571
DaveDFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
CNET's review has been indexed by Google and it pretty much confirms pricing and absence of Netflix while indicating a "fairly lag-free" experience in pulling content from the source DVR.
Did Tivo's communications director object to the tenor of cnet's review? I think they already have their astroturfers posting in force at TCF.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #1572
Dan203
Super Moderator

Does Google still keep a complete cache of sites like that? I know they use to, but I can't seem to find it any more.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #1573
DaveDFW

I'll bet Tivo hated this part.

"I'm not entirely sure why Tivo charges a subscription fee for a device..."
Attached Images
File Type: png mini review.png (27.0 KB, 61 views)
Old 03-08-2013, 04:50 PM   #1574
Dan203
Super Moderator

The complete quote is...
Quote:
I'm not entirely sure why TiVo charges a subscription fee for a device that's basically sucking information from a host DVR that you're also paying a subscription fee for, but, that's the pricing.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:05 PM   #1575
DaveDFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
The complete quote is...
The completed quote still fails to be good news for Tivo. Writing negatively about the Mini's pricing does not make the Mini more attractive.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:06 PM   #1576
Dan203
Super Moderator

Found the complete review in the cache...

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...-35627726.html
Old 03-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #1577
moyekj

Confirmed lack of Netflix is very disappointing and puzzling.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #1578
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:

The completed quote still fails to be good news for Tivo. Writing negatively about the Mini's pricing does not make the Mini more attractive.
Negative or not, it's truthful.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #1579
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus View Post
Negative or not, it's truthful.
Indeed, I'm glad to see journalists willing to mention it. And I hope other reviewers do too so it's not just the community festering on the issue, whom I think Tivo's a little too willing to ignore.
BigJimOutlaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:32 PM   #1580
Bigg

Quote:
But wouldn't they have to push out a software update to enable dynamic tuner allocation? We just received a major update at the end of last year, so I doubt there's another major update coming soon.

One of the speculated reasons for limiting the Mini to four-tuner boxes is that a two-tuner box would transform into a one-tuner box. But I was just thinking today that perhaps the limitation concerns the analog and OTA tuners in two-tuner Premieres. Is it possible there's some technical limitation that prevents Mini functionality on those tuners that were removed in the XL4/Elite?
They could just make it not work with analog, although it's already being encoded to get dumped on the hard drive, so there's no reason that couldn't be streamed. Furthering that train of thought, say your cable provider has local access or something still on analog, and you have an XL4 and a Premiere (2-tuner). You can pair the Mini with the XL4 and stream the encoded analog recordings off of the Premiere, so why not cut the XL4 out? Same logic argument would work for OTA in a household that has both. It's an entirely arbitrary requirement.

If anything, they should just allow it to have 0 tuners and stream only off a 2-tuner, which has an even more convincing use case for OTA, where people could just plug the cable into the back of each TV for live, and then use the Mini for recorded stuff. Yes, you'd lose trick play of live, but you'd end up with the same functionality as an MSO-supplied WHDVR system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Confirmed lack of Netflix is very disappointing and puzzling.
Clearly we all need yet ANOTHER device that streams Netflix. As it is, when I get Netflix, I have to choose which of several devices to stream it on.

That CNET reviewer is 100% correct on the pricing thing, it makes no sense.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:45 PM   #1581
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
Clearly we all need yet ANOTHER device that streams Netflix. As it is, when I get Netflix, I have to choose which of several devices to stream it on.
Not the case for me. Aside from a laptop the only other choice for me would be a Wii and crappy resolution so really no option other than TiVos for streaming Netflix. Since the Mini has been confirmed as much faster running Flash apps it could actually be a reasonably fast experience running Netflix on the Mini. Hopefully Netflix will be coming to the Mini in time...
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:22 AM   #1582
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
They could just make it not work with analog, although it's already being encoded to get dumped on the hard drive, so there's no reason that couldn't be streamed. Furthering that train of thought, say your cable provider has local access or something still on analog, and you have an XL4 and a Premiere (2-tuner). You can pair the Mini with the XL4 and stream the encoded analog recordings off of the Premiere, so why not cut the XL4 out?
It's unlikely that the analog signal itself is an issue, but it is possible that the way a 2 tuner unit shares a pare of physical tuners, one cable and one OTA, for each "tuner" could be a problem. Although I doubt it. The waiver TiVo filed with the FCC said that at least one of their next gen boxes would have OTA and i'd be shocked if any next gen unit didn't support the Mini.

I really think it's the number of tuners that's the problem. They don't want to disable live TV on the Mini and they don't want to permenantly hobble the Premiere by relegating it to a single tuner.

We'll know for sure if that was their reasoning when dynamic tuner allocation is done. If they allow 2 tuner boxes to be a host then, then we will know that was the problem. If not then it's either something technical we don't know about or a marketing ploy to sell more 4 tuner units.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:58 AM   #1583
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

Quote:
Clearly we all need yet ANOTHER device that streams Netflix.
Each time you make the customer stop using your device is an opportunity for that other device maker to keep them. It's all about not changing inputs or remotes. Sure, some of us are programmed-remote fanatics, but most of the world isn't, and shouldn't have to be.

No Netflix on the Mini makes it an absolute non-starter. Dead in the water. Not getting purchased. Such a shame.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:32 AM   #1584
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
Each time you make the customer stop using your device is an opportunity for that other device maker to keep them. It's all about not changing inputs or remotes. Sure, some of us are programmed-remote fanatics, but most of the world isn't, and shouldn't have to be.

No Netflix on the Mini makes it an absolute non-starter. Dead in the water. Not getting purchased. Such a shame.
I'm guessing that TiVo needs Netflix to make some sort of minor update to their software to reliably work on the Mini. We know Hulu Plus works and I suspect the Hulu Plus experience is much improved with the faster processor. Like TiVo, Netflix needs to prioritize its resources writing apps and TiVo is probably way down on the list. If TiVo's MSO partners were licensed to receive Netflix streaming content, I suspect that it would change the priority for Netflix.

Amazon, OTOH, seems like a good fit for the Mini since we know some of TiVo's MSO-partners are offering Amazon downloads. I know that others feel like Amazon competes directly with their premium VOD offerings so they don't offer it on their TiVo boxes. With that said, we would need a completely new Amazon app to support the Mini. I would imagine that it would not be that difficult for Amazon to write one since, IIRC, they already have an Adobe Air for TV Amazon Streaming app for Samsung Smart TVs.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:39 AM   #1585
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post

If you were going to be missing something... it wouldn't be Netflix... that is for sure. And I really have to say that Amazon Instant is also a must have.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:59 AM   #1586
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus View Post
If you were going to be missing something... it wouldn't be Netflix... that is for sure. And I really have to say that Amazon Instant is also a must have.
Well The TiVo boxes are some of the few that offer 1080P24 output from Netflix.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:10 AM   #1587
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
Indeed, I'm glad to see journalists willing to mention it. And I hope other reviewers do too so it's not just the community festering on the issue, whom I think Tivo's a little too willing to ignore.
They're willing to ignore us because we're not their main sales focus now.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:13 AM   #1588
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
Amazon, OTOH, seems like a good fit for the Mini since we know some of TiVo's MSO-partners are offering Amazon downloads. I know that others feel like Amazon competes directly with their premium VOD offerings so they don't offer it on their TiVo boxes.
And Netflix doesn't? Seriously, is that what you've heard is the reason why Instant Video wasn't done for the Premieres? That makes no sense.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:15 AM   #1589
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Well The TiVo boxes are some of the few that offer 1080P24 output from Netflix.
They may have left it out until Netflix speeds up there App.. Alot of people bitched about the new Netflix App and Tivo may have told them to get there **** together before they put it on this box
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:26 AM   #1590
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
And Netflix doesn't? Seriously, is that what you've heard is the reason why Instant Video wasn't done for the Premieres? That makes no sense.
I suspect that Netflix competes with mostly their non-Premium VOD but when it comes to a head-to-head comparison on renting a new release Premium movie like Argo, Netflix doesn't compete. My cable operator can charge $5.99 for Argo while its available in 1080p HD from Amazon for $4.98.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote