TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-07-2013, 11:06 AM   #4981
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
At one time tivo had a place in their website to suggest new features. I can't find it. I guess you could use facebook or twitter to make the suggestion. Not a bad suggestion.
The link is in my signature. I think it is research.tivo.com. They changed the link about a year ago.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #4982
lrhorer

Quote:
A premier can has a capacity of 75 HD hours. I doubt a tivo has the capacity for 250 shows, even SD digital, unless the shows were 30 minutes (or less). I wouldn't exaggerate, even to make a point. Tivo won't support, or acknowledge, the possibility of user upgraded equipment.
VARs like Weaknees sell regular Premiere units with 640 hours of HD capacity / 5600 hours SD. Although a VAR is not selling stock units, they are certainly not user upgraded, and they are definitely entitled to TiVo software support at an ordinary level. (Hardware support is a little different issue on these systems.) A recording capacity of 640 hours could easily handle well over 250 shows, let alone 5600 hours worth of SD material.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:39 AM   #4983
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Again not an unreasonable request, although transferring the shows to a PC will accomplish what you want to do.
Transferring shows to a PC and then transferring them right back to the new TiVo? That seems like it'd take a REALLLLY long time (double than it needs to) and I'd be concerned about any loss of metadata. One new TiVo should be able to talk to and pull automatically from the one old TiVo. What TiVo, Inc. should understand and embrace is that this function would actually encourage more sales.

Alas, this is TiVo.

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:04 PM   #4984
lew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
Transferring shows to a PC and then transferring them right back to the new TiVo? That seems like it'd take a REALLLLY long time (double than it needs to) and I'd be concerned about any loss of metadata. One new TiVo should be able to talk to and pull automatically from the one old TiVo. What TiVo, Inc. should understand and embrace is that this function would actually encourage more sales.

Alas, this is TiVo.
I said your suggestion has some merit. Why don't you make the suggestion to tivo? Use the link provided by a PP. Use facebook or twitter.

Transferring the shows to a PC then back to your new tivo will take longer but it eliminates the need to have both unit subscribed at the same time. It allows you to easily request multiple shows. It's a solution which works today. We don't know when or even IF tivo will make it easier.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:13 PM   #4985
unitron

Quote:

Alas, this is TiVo.
Well, right now going TiVo to PC (via TiVo Desktop) to TiVo preserves a lot more metadata than going TiVo to TiVo.

Which is something I wish I hadn't learned the hard way.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:27 PM   #4986
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I said your suggestion has some merit. Why don't you make the suggestion to tivo? Use the link provided by a PP. Use facebook or twitter.

Transferring the shows to a PC then back to your new tivo will take longer but it eliminates the need to have both unit subscribed at the same time. It allows you to easily request multiple shows. It's a solution which works today. We don't know when or even IF tivo will make it easier.
I've suggested it in the past. I'm one of those people who ALWAYS goes through official channels to report bugs and request features. I enjoy it. For many reasons though, I just don't get any more "warm and fuzzies" when it comes to TiVo. There are some GLARING usability and UI issues that have dogged their products for many, many years, to the point that it's embarrassing. I truly often wonder who (if anyone) is minding the store over there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Well, right now going TiVo to PC (via TiVo Desktop) to TiVo preserves a lot more metadata than going TiVo to TiVo.

Which is something I wish I hadn't learned the hard way.
This is good info, thanks.

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Old 03-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #4987
lpwcomp

Quote:
A premier can has a capacity of 75 HD hours. I doubt a tivo has the capacity for 250 shows, even SD digital, unless the shows were 30 minutes (or less). I wouldn't exaggerate, even to make a point. Tivo won't support, or acknowledge, the possibility of user upgraded equipment.
Even my stock 320GB Premiere has a reported SD capacity of 414 hours. Both the stock HD XL and Premiere XL have a reported SD capacity of 1,350 hours.

Quote:
Again not an unreasonable request, although transferring the shows to a PC will accomplish what you want to do.
Unless you leave them on the PC and pull them to the TiVo when you need them, you will lose most of the metadata.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:47 PM   #4988
jtso

Quote:

Alas, this is TiVo.
The way I think about it is that if I want to transfer a show from the computer to the TiVo, I only do it when I'm ready to watch it. I set up a pyTivo pull and it allows me to start watching immediately while the transfer is taking place. Even if I'm pulling MPEG IIs , it transfers faster than real time to a Premiere, so I never notice that second transfer's time.
jtso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:57 PM   #4989
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Right, and I'm specifically talking about that moment when I want to buy a new TiVo, but decide against it because it (essentially) means I'd be saying goodbye to the large collection of recordings on my existing one. Since TiVo could programmatically solve that problem, it's annoying to me that they haven't. Any of these methods that we've devised take far too long and require far too much user control.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #4990
christheman

Since there aren't any fail-proof RAID Tivos out there with redundant power supplies... All the more reason to just use KMTTG or equivalent to safely offload all shows from the "CPE" (customer premise equipment) to a "DMZ" PC or Mac.

As far as Tivo "metadata" goes, this would include the TV scheduling data that Tivo acquires and then uses to populate their menu and description fields. Am I missing anything else that might be important? Subtitles? Any movie aficionados actually do anything with subtitles?

As for me, I just offload to a PC. Then I use VideoReDo to salvage the video from the Tivo file, I consider this to be the final part of the crucial transition from CPE to DMZ. Then I make conventional DVD's (without subtitles) that are compatible with stand-alone DVD and Blu-Ray players, which I find to be suitable for my own personal museum.

Last edited by christheman : 03-07-2013 at 03:38 PM.
christheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:07 PM   #4991
mlippert

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
No, not at all. Even if the kernel does checking of signatures inside the CPU (it's basically the other way around, though), one needn't have a unique kernel to do so. The kernel just would need to have a public key to match a private key in the CPU. The public key could be the same for all kernels.
You can have a single public key that matches multiple private keys? I didn't know that. You would need to know all of the private keys before creating the public key though, right?
mlippert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #4992
mlippert

Quote:
AFAIK you've never been able to do that with any TiVo model. At least, you wouldn't be able to do it, and expect the recorded videos to play. You'd have to "clear everything and delete."
I wasn't actually talking about being able to play the recorded videos. I was really referring to the fact that we have been able to upgrade our TiVos by getting a new drive and copying an image for the appropriate model of Tivo onto it. That image does not (thankfully) have to be of the original hard drive in your TiVo.

I've heard (read on this forum somewhere) that no one has figured out yet how to create a truncated image for the Premiere models, however it was implied that a complete hard drive image would work. It's just a pain to ship a 2gb image around for the Elite/Premiere XL4s.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #4993
mlippert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL-WA View Post
I have 700+ recordings so initiating a transfer from either the TivoHD or pulling from the (new) Tivo Premier doing 1 show at a time with a 30-second delay between screen clicks isnt an option.

Is there some other way to transfer a whole lot of shows tivo-to-tivo that I'm unaware of?
Brian,
I think there's one other issue I haven't seen anyone else mention yet.

If any of your 700+ recordings are flagged as "copy protected" by the TiVo, I don't know of any way to transfer them anywhere (either to a PC or another TiVo).

Mike
Old 03-07-2013, 04:03 PM   #4994
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlippert View Post
I've heard (read on this forum somewhere) that no one has figured out yet how to create a truncated image for the Premiere models, however it was implied that a complete hard drive image would work. It's just a pain to ship a 2gb image around for the Elite/Premiere XL4s.
2GB is the size of the compressed "image" of a virgin Premiere drive that has reportedly been successfully used to create a replacement drive. The XL4 has a 2TB drive in it.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #4995
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlippert View Post
You can have a single public key that matches multiple private keys? I didn't know that. You would need to know all of the private keys before creating the public key though, right?
Smeek much? That is not what he said and that is not how keys/signatures work.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:34 PM   #4996
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by christheman View Post
As far as Tivo "metadata" goes, this would include the TV scheduling data that Tivo acquires and then uses to populate their menu and description fields. Am I missing anything else that might be important? Subtitles? Any movie aficionados actually do anything with subtitles?
Neither subtitles nor CC are part of the metadata. As to whether or not they are important, I guess you know no-one who has or might develop hearing problems. Ah, the arrogance of youth.

Quote:
As for me, I just offload to a PC. Then I use VideoReDo to salvage the video from the Tivo file, I consider this to be the final part of the crucial transition from CPE to DMZ. Then I make conventional DVD's (without subtitles) that are compatible with stand-alone DVD and Blu-Ray players, which I find to be suitable for my own personal museum.
I just love people who think that the way they do things is the "best" way and should therefore be adopted by everyone. Not only that, but just how is your archiving method relevant to a discussion about transferring recordings from one TiVo to another or using a computer for additional storage of recordings that can later be transferred back to a TiVo for viewing?

Old 03-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #4997
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Then I make conventional DVD's (without subtitles) that are compatible with stand-alone DVD and Blu-Ray players, which I find to be suitable for my own personal museum.
Just curious; do you ever actually watch the shows on those discs?

Old 03-08-2013, 12:51 AM   #4998
Soapm

Quote:
Right, and I'm specifically talking about that moment when I want to buy a new TiVo, but decide against it because it (essentially) means I'd be saying goodbye to the large collection of recordings on my existing one. Since TiVo could programmatically solve that problem, it's annoying to me that they haven't. Any of these methods that we've devised take far too long and require far too much user control.
Isn't this like buying a new storage locker and filling it with the contents of the old? Where is the room for new? Do yourself a favor and build a storage server so you can reformat the shows and store them for posterity and let the new Tivo grab you a new collection.
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:08 AM   #4999
unitron

Quote:
Since there aren't any fail-proof RAID Tivos out there with redundant power supplies... All the more reason to just use KMTTG or equivalent to safely offload all shows from the "CPE" (customer premise equipment) to a "DMZ" PC or Mac.

If you're talking about metadata lost when copying directly from one TiVo to the other, the way it currently works is that if you have say a month's worth of some show that comes on every day and copy all those episodes to one TiVo straight from the TiVo on which they were originally recorded, on the TiVo that copied from the other one all of the shows will now show their date as being the date on which the copying was done, so you don't know in which order to watch them, and I'm pretty sure you lose the stuff that the original supplied when you hit the Info button.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:16 AM   #5000
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Well than that just sounds downright broken to me.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:51 AM   #5001
morac
Cat God

Why does kmttg_win32_tools_v0p9o.zip includes tivodecode 0.3pre4, instead of the newer (and less buggy) tivodecode 0.4.2?

Last edited by morac : 03-08-2013 at 10:57 AM.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #5002
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Why does kmttg_win32_tools_v0p9o.zip includes tivodecode 0.3pre4, instead of the newer (and less buggy) tivodecode 0.4.2?
Haven't heard of newer versions. AFAIK the most up to date source code was what I have under kmttg downloads and it still has some issues with TS TiVo decrypt. The official sourceforge patches area doesn't have anything later either:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?grou...16&atid=906362
Perhaps there's another fork elsewhere I'm not aware of?
(I use VideoRedo for TS TiVo decrypt myself).
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:14 PM   #5003
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Haven't heard of newer versions. AFAIK the most up to date source code was what I have under kmttg downloads and it still has some issues with TS TiVo decrypt. The official sourceforge patches area doesn't have anything later either:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?grou...16&atid=906362
Perhaps there's another fork elsewhere I'm not aware of?
(I use VideoRedo for TS TiVo decrypt myself).
It's actually available for download on your kmttg site, though it's in the depreciated area for some reason, despite being newer (date wise)

http://code.google.com/p/kmttg/downl....4.2_win32.zip

It isn't natively compiled though as it requires cygwin1.dll so maybe that's why. I have no idea where it came from.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #5004
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
It's actually available for download on your kmttg site, though it's in the depreciated area for some reason, despite being newer (date wise)

http://code.google.com/p/kmttg/downl....4.2_win32.zip

It isn't natively compiled though as it requires cygwin1.dll so maybe that's why. I have no idea where it came from.
That one actually had other issues from what I recall which is why it got pulled. The 0.3.4 that is not deprecated was the latest "stable" release. I was working with person that added TS support initially and he got close to getting TS decode working properly but I still have several samples that fail and never got resolved and the person no longer had time to deal with them. Bottom line is for TS TiVo decrypt the only reliable way is to use VideoRedo (there's an option in kmttg to use VRD instead of tivodecode for decrypt) and the 0.3.4 version of tivodecode is the most stable version that I know of.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:33 PM   #5005
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
I guess I'll delete it tomorrow and do a fresh install. Must be residual from the old. All I do to upgrade is put the .zip file in the folder then extract with WinRAR and let it copy over any existing files. Too bad there isn't an upgrader like on Linux (git pull).

No luck, 57 shows highlighted and it still only queue's 2 for download even with a fresh install. I did keep my config file so I guess the next thing to try is creating a new one of those but this is really weird. I wish I could try one of the older versions but since they have the cookie problem I can't try them.

Wait, new development, I can queue more then 2 shows from my premier so the problem has to be in my TivoHD and not in this application. Hopefully a good reboot tonight will fix that.
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:28 PM   #5006
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

The latest version of tivodecode I've received from Mr. Anonymous Hacker is the one he calls 0.4.4. I have some issues with it, but it's probably better than the others available. I guess I can post it to SourceForge?

In thinking about how to handle this in pyTivo, I've been vaguely planning to have separate "tivodecode" and "tivodecodets" settings, to allow for keeping the stable version for program streams. (We need an old package anyway for tdcat, which A.H. discarded in his version. (Yes, that's one of the issues.))

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:12 PM   #5007
allenfr

Thumbs up TIVOPLAYLIST now working

dcahoe;9554273 I have released a new version of TiVoPlayList v0.71 which fixes the expired cookie issue.

Thank you for the update I just checked it out and seems to be fine.
Thanks again,
Allenfr
allenfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:43 AM   #5008
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
Wait, new development, I can queue more then 2 shows from my premier so the problem has to be in my TivoHD and not in this application. Hopefully a good reboot tonight will fix that.
I think I know what your issue is. If you have a folder selected among the group of selected rows in the table then it messes things up. I'll have to look at fixing that but if you just turn off folders and then select all the shows you want to queue then it works as expected.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:19 AM   #5009
BH9244

Disk Space

Installed about a week ago and running flawlessly thanks to alot of help from moyekj . I was wondering about the Disk Size that is indicated. I have a 2TB unit and a 1TB unit . kmttg shows total size of 1742GB and 821 gb respectively, if I recall correctly tivo playlist used somewhat larger numbers, the ones calculated (?) by kmttg seem somewhat low and results in indications of zero available disk space when I think there should be some available. Do these sizes seem correct and if not what should they be and can the size reported by the program be modified ?.

As Always thanks for your help .
BH9244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #5010
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH9244 View Post
Installed about a week ago and running flawlessly thanks to alot of help from moyekj . I was wondering about the Disk Size that is indicated. I have a 2TB unit and a 1TB unit . kmttg shows total size of 1742GB and 821 gb respectively, if I recall correctly tivo playlist used somewhat larger numbers, the ones calculated (?) by kmttg seem somewhat low and results in indications of zero available disk space when I think there should be some available. Do these sizes seem correct and if not what should they be and can the size reported by the program be modified ?.
You have to tell kmttg once per TiVo what the total disk space is, otherwise it just sums up total space used by shows. The tooltip tells you what to do under "Total Disk Space (GB)" field - enter the total space in GB and then press Enter to save it. For a 2TB unit the exact number in GB is 1827. For 1TB the number is ~ 915.