TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-06-2013, 10:42 PM   #1
plazman30

So, I have 2 TiVo Premieres...

I am paying $12.95 a month for the first TiVo and $9.95 a month for the second one.

I am wondering whether I could get a cost savings by going with a Premiere 4 and a Tivo Mini on the other TV, or whether I should leave well enough alone.
plazman30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:09 PM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

If you had lifetime on them it would make more sense. Since you would be able to cover most of the cost of a lifetime P4 and a lifetime Mini with the sales of two lifetime Premieres. But with only monthly service on the boxes you wouldn't actually save money for a while. Not sure what the break even point is though, but you would save money in the long term.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:41 AM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

It might save you some money. But it depends on what kind of bundle deals they have and how much you're paying for your CableCARD and any outlet fees for the second TiVo.

Without a bundle deal the hardware is going to cost about $350. Your current TiVos wont be worth much without lifetime so they'll likely only get you about $100 total for both. The Premiere 4/Mini combo would save you $4/mo on TiVo service, but unless you're paying a lot for the CableCARD and outlet fees it'll take a while to break even on the hardware costs.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:50 AM   #4
moyekj

I wouldn't recommend it personally given your situation. Plus the XL4 is pretty sluggish, much more so than 2 tuner units since series 4 units in general don't have enough horsepower to run the HDUI and especially Flash apps properly. Sometimes I regret trading a 2 tuner Premiere for an Elite, but my plan now is to buy a Mini and use it as front end to the Elite which be become a headless unit which should take care of the speed issue. I'm already doing that pretty much already using my 2 tuner unit as the main one and just MRS'ing shows from the Elite. I'd say at this point wait until series 5 comes out with better horsepower and by then the Mini should be cheaper as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:31 AM   #5
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
I wouldn't recommend it personally given your situation. Plus the XL4 is pretty sluggish, much more so than 2 tuner units since series 4 units in general don't have enough horsepower to run the HDUI and especially Flash apps properly. Sometimes I regret trading a 2 tuner Premiere for an Elite, but my plan now is to buy a Mini and use it as front end to the Elite which be become a headless unit which should take care of the speed issue. I'm already doing that pretty much already using my 2 tuner unit as the main one and just MRS'ing shows from the Elite. I'd say at this point wait until series 5 comes out with better horsepower and by then the Mini should be cheaper as well.
One of my best decisions was selling four lifetime Premieres to cover the cost of my two lifetime Elites. I have been pleased with the ELites. Of course the interface can always be faster but I use less than half the electricity as before, save $8 a month on cable cards, and shows are much easier to manage.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

The management alone mig be worth it. Having all your SPs on one TiVo makes it so much easier to deal with.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #7
plazman30

I'm paying $5.00/month for the second cable card, so it might be worth it. I am concerned that the TiVo 4 is slower than the Premiere. Perhaps I should call TiVo and see what they can do for me price-wise.
plazman30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:53 PM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

Wait until the Mini is released. They'll probably have some sort of bundle deal.