TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
View Poll Results: MOCA and POE Filter
Yes there is a POE filter installed 53 63.86%
No there is not a POE filter installed 30 36.14%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 03-03-2013, 09:26 AM   #1
dave13077

MOCA and POE Filter

If you are using MOCA have you installed (or had someone else install) a POE filter?
dave13077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

You need to install it,
We did Dad's install with MoCA and his neighbors were getting leak through and some issues, we installed the POE filter and all was fine.

So while he was ok, he was affecting others.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
aaronwt
HD Addict

No need to install a filter on FiOS. Well at least with a normal FiOS setup where each dwelling has their own Optical Network Terminal.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:15 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

I installed one mainly as a security precaution. The cheaper Actiontech MOCA adapters don't support encryption and I didn't want a savvy neighbor kid hacking my network because of a problem I could fix with a $4 filter. It's not quite as risky as running an open Wifi network, but if you're security conscience at all then why not pick one up?
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:43 PM   #5
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I installed one mainly as a security precaution. The cheaper Actiontech MOCA adapters don't support encryption and I didn't want a savvy neighbor kid hacking my network because of a problem I could fix with a $4 filter. It's not quite as risky as running an open Wifi network, but if you're security conscience at all then why not pick one up?
If you set a password with Actiontec's config app then it will encrypt things.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #6
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
No need to install a filter on FiOS. Well at least with a normal FiOS setup where each dwelling has their own Optical Network Terminal.
oops, never thought to mention that, but yes I was referring to a cable installation.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:49 PM   #7
dhoward

Can anyone recommend a site to purchase a poe filter. Tivo sells them but their shipping is as much as the filter. There must be somewhere else to buy this item. I am looking at ebay but want to know if their is somewhere else to buy this item.
dhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:54 PM   #8
Kerwin51580

I bought mine from ebay for $8.25 with free shipping. I had my MoCA network up and running about two weeks before I got the filter. I encrypted the connection like others have done. I was getting Tx/Rx rates of about 150 Mbps or so, when I installed the POE filter, my Tx/Rx rates shot up to 238 Mbps

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoward View Post
Can anyone recommend a site to purchase a poe filter. Tivo sells them but their shipping is as much as the filter. There must be somewhere else to buy this item. I am looking at ebay but want to know if their is somewhere else to buy this item.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #9
dhoward

How do you encrypt when using the P4 as a bridge. I want to set this in conjunction with a mini. No adapter being used.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:19 PM   #10
moyekj

There may well be a POE filter in the box on the street, but there is none at the drop of my house so AFAIK there is no POE filter but no easy way to tell for sure. I've had MoCA for years without any problems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:48 AM   #11
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmedic View Post
If you set a password with Actiontec's config app then it will encrypt things.
I could be wrong, but I think that only works with the more expensive adapter that has the config switch. The cheaper ones have no interface that I'm aware of.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:58 AM   #12
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoward View Post
Your Cable provider should be very happy to give one to you. I know Cox does.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:31 AM   #13
dhoward

I ordered one off of ebay this morning.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:26 AM   #14
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

Quote:
I could be wrong, but I think that only works with the more expensive adapter that has the config switch. The cheaper ones have no interface that I'm aware of.
Didn't realize they add two. Sorry. Mine has the config switch. Didn't encrypt things because I was afraid it would slow things down and the TiVo wouldn't be compatible with it (when I ordered the mini and XL4 to replace my original premiere.)
Old 03-06-2013, 03:18 PM   #15
leiff

where do I install Poe? I'm just moved into my new house. The cable guy wired my house 4 days ago. I asked the installer at the time if he knew about moca and he said no. cable enters my house from a Comcast box on the outside wall of my house. From the box a single cable goes through my wall and under my house where it branches off and feeds my four rooms. Does that mean I need to go under my house and locate the original cable originating from the Comcast box and place filter right before it begins to branching to my other rooms? Or might I have to open the Comcast box to install filter?
leiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:47 PM   #16
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiff View Post
where do I install Poe? I'm just moved into my new house. The cable guy wired my house 4 days ago. I asked the installer at the time if he knew about moca and he said no. cable enters my house from a Comcast box on the outside wall of my house. From the box a single cable goes through my wall and under my house where it branches off and feeds my four rooms. Does that mean I need to go under my house and locate the original cable originating from the Comcast box and place filter right before it begins to branching to my other rooms? Or might I have to open the Comcast box to install filter?
Yes, you want the POE filter on the input side of the main splitter. That can be in the box or under the house if you're willing to get dirty.

coax to house ---> POE filter --> splitter to rooms.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 03-06-2013 at 05:12 PM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:07 PM   #17
Loach

Quote:
Point
Of
Entry

I would put it in the Comcast box that's on the outside wall of your house, assuming you can get into it. But yes, crawling under the house and installing it at the splitter input there would work too.
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:39 PM   #18
Bigg

Or if you're in the northeast, walk into the basement, turn the lights on, and connect it to the cable splitter next to the breaker panel.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:02 PM   #19
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
Or if you're in the northeast, walk into the basement, turn the lights on, and connect it to the cable splitter next to the breaker panel.
That's what I did here in the Midwest

Guess not everyone is so fortunate....
Old 03-06-2013, 09:06 PM   #20
Dan203
Super Moderator

Basements are very rare over here on the west coast. I've only known a few people in my life who've had them. Almost everyone I know who lives out east has one. Not sure why it's regional like that.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:27 PM   #21
Bigg

Quote:
Basements are very rare over here on the west coast. I've only known a few people in my life who've had them. Almost everyone I know who lives out east has one. Not sure why it's regional like that.
Depends on the climate and what you're building on.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:10 AM   #22
Leon WIlkinson
TiVo Gone Wild

I just had a POE installed by the cable company after reading this thread and another. Glad I called them cause they upgraded my modem to a docsis 3

I had one Mcard installed for $3.95 which gives me Free HD channels of about 92% of my current package and gives me around 14 new Digital /HD channels including secondary Broadcast channels. If the Mcard has no issues
I will add more to other boxes, after I upgrade my Hard drive in my TiVo with the card Paired and need it re-paired the tech said I should be able to swab card from one device without the need to pair it

The Card install took 5 min total to pair without issue.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #23
leiff

thanks for suggesting I place Poe in the Comcast box on the outside of my house instead of under house. Much easier. Bonus if as you say performance is also better this way. Comcast box opened up no prob. In box the single cable couples with another single cable and leaves box again as a single cable. Coupler inside box wouldn't turn from turning. Does coupler in box need to be unscrewed to remove or do I just get a wrench to turn harder?
leiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:04 PM   #24
Loach

Quote:
thanks for suggesting I place Poe in the Comcast box on the outside of my house instead of under house. Much easier. Bonus if as you say performance is also better this way. Comcast box opened up no prob. In box the single cable couples with another single cable and leaves box again as a single cable. Coupler inside box wouldn't turn from turning. Does coupler in box need to be unscrewed to remove or do I just get a wrench to turn harder?
It was probably tightened with a wrench, so you'll probably need a wrench to loosen it.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #25
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
It was probably tightened with a wrench, so you'll probably need a wrench to loosen it.
Yeah, sometimes you need two slipjaws pliers.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:56 AM   #26
dmk1974
DA BEARS!!!

I do not have a MoCA filter installed yet, but am thinking of ordering one. I did turn on the MoCA encryption when I set up my TiVo 4-tuner and TiVo Mini. Is that just as sufficient or completely different than what a MoCA filter would do at my PoE to my house?

TiVo Premiere 4 w/Lifetime (318 hr)
TiVo Premiere 4 w/Lifetime (77 hr)
TiVo Mini w/Lifetime (x4)
TiVo Stream
dmk1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:24 AM   #27
aaronwt
HD Addict

Does the encryption slow down the data throughput?
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #28
dmk1974
DA BEARS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Does the encryption slow down the data throughput?
How do I test for the speed on the TiVo? The only devices I have connected via MoCA are the 4-tuner TiVo (which is also ethernet) and the TiVo Mini. Everything else in my house is ethernet or wireless-N.

TiVo Premiere 4 w/Lifetime (318 hr)
TiVo Premiere 4 w/Lifetime (77 hr)
TiVo Mini w/Lifetime (x4)
TiVo Stream
dmk1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:59 AM   #29
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Point
Of
Entry

I would put it in the Comcast box that's on the outside wall of your house, assuming you can get into it. But yes, crawling under the house and installing it at the splitter input there would work too.
Thx. I saw POE and instantly thought of Power Over Ethernet and wondered if you could send power over coax using a filter.
180hr S2

Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:52 PM   #30
John Thomason

I am confused about where to place the POE filter based upon conflicting information about potential interference with a cable modem. Should the POE filter go at the 2-way splitter or the 4-way splitter? Here is a diagram if my cable setup.

---------Cable Modem (non moca)
/
2-way splitter
|
\---------4-Way Splitter
Room 1 (moca)
Room 2 (moca)
Room 3
Room 4

Last edited by John Thomason : 03-22-2013 at 12:56 AM.
John Thomason is offline   Reply With Quote