TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > eBay Auction Central > Buyer/Seller Area
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:30 AM   #1
Gaidin43

Should I sell my premiere with lifetime to get XL?

So I am considering selling my lifetime premiere I bought new about 2 years ago in order to get a premiere xl with lifetime since I just bought a stream to test it out, but if it doesn't work I'll return it and considering buying a mini.

Questions though:

1.) How much is my tivo premiere worth with standard HD and lifetime?
2.) The xl only has digital tuners, will that be an issue? (I use FIOS)
3.) will the mini or stream take up on of the tuners and allow people to continue to use the TiVo on the primary tv?
Gaidin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:05 AM   #2
lpwcomp

Quote:
So I am considering selling my lifetime premiere I bought new about 2 years ago in order to get a premiere xl with lifetime since I just bought a stream to test it out, but if it doesn't work I'll return it and considering buying a mini.

Questions though:

3.) will the mini or stream take up on of the tuners and allow people to continue to use the TiVo on the primary tv?
Before you can get an accurate answer you need to clarify one thing - You are talking about acquiring a Premiere XL4, not a Premiere XL, correct?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:04 PM   #3
Gaidin43

Correct a standard hard drive premiere 4.

I'll be upgrading from a premier with 2 tuners to a premier with 4 tuners.

Just seeing what I can get for the old one in comparison to the $615 I'll have to spend in order to get the lifetime in the premiere 4.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #4
lpwcomp

Quote:
Quote:
Correct a standard hard drive premiere 4.

I'll be upgrading from a premier with 2 tuners to a premier with 4 tuners.

Just seeing what I can get for the old one in comparison to the $615 I'll have to spend in order to get the lifetime in the premiere 4.
OK. You are seriously confused, but that is understandable considering the history of the Premiere. There are 5 models of the TiVo Premiere - The original 2-tuner* TiVo Premiere(model TCD746320) and Premiere XL(model TCD758000). The TCD746320 was replaced by the TCD746500, also 2-tuner.

At some point they came out with the 4 digital cable tuner Premiere Elite(model TCD758250) which was later renamed the Premiere XL4 about the time they released the Premiere 4(model TCD750500 ). From the price you are quoting, I am guessing that you are getting the Premiere 4, not the Premiere XL4. BTW, the phrase "standard drive" is meaningless.

Quote:
I really can't help you there but for anyone to help you, they will need the actual model #. Once again, "standard HD" conveys no information absent a model #.
Quote:
More correctly, the Premiere XL4 and Premiere 4 have 4 digital cable tuners. Should work fine on FIOS.
Quote:
The TiVo stream does not support watching on a TV. It is for converting and transmitting content to portable devices such as an iPad. You need the (AFAICT still unavailable) TiVo Mini.

* maximum of 2 active tuners that is. They actually have 2 OTA digital, 2 cable digital, and 2 analog tuners. Any two of the 6 can be active at any one time.

Note: The difference between the XL(4) and the base models is more than just drive size. Both the XL and XL4 are also THX certified.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
Gaidin43

Ok thank you so very much for the explanation. Let me try this again.

I have a TiVo Premiere(model TCD746320) with lifetime I bought brand new about 2 years ago.

I am trying to see if its worth trying to sell my premiere and how much i would normally get for it. Then Using that money to put towards a new premiere 4 with lifetime.

I am being offered a Premiere Elite(model TCD758250) with lifetime in exchange for my premiere plus $200 right now and even though it it THX certified that isn't too important to me.

What advantages other then 4 tuners do the elite and premiere 4 offer over my premiere?

Would I be better off buying a brand new premiere 4 with lifetime, or wait for the 5 to come out.

Bottom line is I am trying to see the costs of upgrading it right now is worth it and what it offers me.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:36 PM   #6
Gaidin43

On another note I could get a premier 4 shipped with a lifetime for about $615 right now on sale.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #7
iceturkee

Quote:
Ok thank you so very much for the explanation. Let me try this again.

I have a TiVo Premiere(model TCD746320) with lifetime I bought brand new about 2 years ago.

I am trying to see if its worth trying to sell my premiere and how much i would normally get for it. Then Using that money to put towards a new premiere 4 with lifetime.

I am being offered a Premiere Elite(model TCD758250) with lifetime in exchange for my premiere plus $200 right now and even though it it THX certified that isn't too important to me.

What advantages other then 4 tuners do the elite and premiere 4 offer over my premiere?

Would I be better off buying a brand new premiere 4 with lifetime, or wait for the 5 to come out.

Bottom line is I am trying to see the costs of upgrading it right now is worth it and what it offers me.

the tivo elite has an extended warranty until december of this year.
iceturkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #8
lpwcomp

Quote:
That sounds like a pretty good deal to me. In fact, almost too good. But if you trust the seller, you might want to go with that.

Quote:
Both of them have larger hard drives. In particular, the Elite/XL4 has a 2TB drive, which is the largest. The 4 has a 500GB drive, which is still @56% larger than your current 320GB.

The other thing is that you need at least one 4-tuner TiVo to fully utilize a TiVo Mini. Be aware however, that in order to use a Mini to view "live" TV, you have to dedicate at least one of the 4 tuners on the TiVo to that purpose.

Quote:
Impossible to say. Nobody knows when or even if a new model will come out nor what it will be like when/if it does appear.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #9
Gaidin43

Ok thank you for all the advise. Seller seems to be completely on parr and looks like ill be upgrading my premiere to an elite next week.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:47 PM   #10
Leon WIlkinson
TiVo Gone Wild

I would love to have that same offer
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have 2 TiVoHDs(well only 1, the MSD qualifying box would stay and 2 Premieres all lifetime
Old 03-19-2013, 07:35 AM   #11
Gaidin43

Quote:
I would love to have that same offer
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have 2 TiVoHDs(well only 1, the MSD qualifying box would stay and 2 Premieres all lifetime
So trading a premiere plus $150 for an elite XL with warranty till December is worth it?
Old 03-19-2013, 10:01 AM   #12
Leon WIlkinson
TiVo Gone Wild

Quote:
So trading a premiere plus $150 for an elite XL with warranty till December is worth it?
If you don't need to worry about people recording conflicts(Kid shows) if you would need more the 4 tuners. Then I would say it is great deal, even better to me cause would only need to sale 1 more upgraded TiVo w/LTto get a mini and break out even or ahead.