TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-05-2013, 09:12 PM   #1
swassbac

Power Supply Ticking but no obviously blown caps

I have a Series 3 with the SPWR-00008-000 RevA3 power supply which I have removed and don't see any obviously blown or leaking caps. Was thinking of buying a working Series 3 on ebay and swapping the power supply rather than paying weaknees $99. I'm not comfortable enough with the solder skills to fix it myself but if I could diagnose the caps as the issue, I could probably order the ESR ones others have linked to and find someone to solder it in. The unit has lifetime service and I had actually sold it on ebay for $375 but it was returned to me with the power supply problem between when I shipped it and it was returned.

I don't *think* the buyer pulled a quick swap on me and I don't need the TiVo anymore since I use DirecTV but would like to get my value out of it so am looking for suggestions on how to fix/diagnose.
swassbac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:38 AM   #2
pmiranda

If you don't want to mess with it you could try selling it as-is.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:13 AM   #3
JavaJoe_2

You could also try Craiglist to buy a Series3.
JavaJoe_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:28 PM   #4
swassbac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiranda View Post
If you don't want to mess with it you could try selling it as-is.
I thought about that but I probably won't get that much since the buyer has now way of knowing it is ONLY the power supply and the lifetime service isn't transferrable. I'll keep searching for a cheap S3 to try swapping power supplies - just wish I could find an obviously blown cap.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:10 AM   #5
blacknoi

I had the same problem with an original series 3 lifetimed (oled) power supply. Ticking and no obviously blown caps.

I ended up buying a used series 3 off amazon's marketplace for about $90, and cannabalized its power supply. I kept the rest for spare parts if any other parts die on my lifetime unit.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:16 AM   #6
swassbac

Thanks - trying for something cheaper than the Weaknees $99 replacement been looking for a cheap one on ebay or craigslist. Figure there is no harm on trying to replace the caps on the power supply unless someone knows of another part that might be needed.