TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-04-2013, 06:38 PM   #151
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
CBS did air "Dexter" a while back. Censored, but still.
CBS also, received complaints for airing a censored version of “Dexter”. My point is that CBS should be able to air an uncensored version of “Dexter”. CBS and NBC are at a disadvantage when they have product shows with one set of rules while TNT, USA, FX, and HBO can use another set of rules.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #152
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
CBS also, received complaints for airing a censored version of “Dexter”. My point is that CBS should be able to air an uncensored version of “Dexter”. CBS and NBC are at a disadvantage when they have product shows with one set of rules while TNT, USA, FX, and HBO can use another set of rules.
Talk to the FCC. CBS, NBC, and other broadcast networks are subject to different rules because their content is available for free over the air, while stuff on cable is subject to less-stringent rules because one has to actively pay for a subscription to receive those channels, and thus, one should be aware that actively subscribing to the content makes it pretty much impossible to "accidentally" stumble across something objectionable that shouldn't have been there.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:12 PM   #153
Azlen

The History Channel hit big last night with "The Bible". That's something the broadcast nets could have shown without complaints from the usual groups.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:48 PM   #154
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
The History Channel hit big last night with "The Bible". That's something the broadcast nets could have shown without complaints from the usual groups.
HA! That would have spawned a whole bunch of different groups complaining.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:53 PM   #155
robojerk

Quote:
The Bible
Quote:
An ancient novel full of murder, corruption, homosexuality, bestiality, incest and cruelty. It is often read to children on Sunday.
HBO should do a series on that!!!
Old 03-04-2013, 09:11 PM   #156
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
indeed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:49 PM   #157
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Strange - the primary reason KRON in San Francisco lost its NBC affiliation (and, as a result, a significant part of northern California that uses antennas for local channels can't get NBC) was because it had a habit of pre-empting NBC shows and showing local programs in its place.
[Citation needed]

I honestly don't know either, so will pass this off as "I thought".. I thought the reason was because KRON was playing hardball with NBC for the renewal, thinking NBC would give in on whatever demands they wanted (and/or buy KRON).. But instead, they bought KNTV & made it an O&O.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:51 PM   #158
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
"The Following" is pretty gruesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Talk to the FCC. CBS, NBC, and other broadcast networks are subject to different rules because their content is available for free over the air, while stuff on cable is subject to less-stringent rules because one has to actively pay for a subscription to receive those channels, and thus, one should be aware that actively subscribing to the content makes it pretty much impossible to "accidentally" stumble across something objectionable that shouldn't have been there.
Cable is not subject to ANY rules. They willingly follow OTA-like rules, at least for basic/extended basic cable channels. The various FCC rules ("7 words you can't say on TV") do not apply to cable. Though the loosening of cable I think is why OTA rules are being loosened (d*bag is common OTA now, and the 'd word' showed up on something last night, I think The Apprentice).
Old 03-04-2013, 09:57 PM   #159
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
I'd have minded it less on NBC than on History. Because, you know... not history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
(d*bag is common OTA now, and the 'd word' showed up on something last night, I think The Apprentice).
A ******bag shows up on every episode of The Apprentice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:55 PM   #160
Inundated
Face For Radio

Quote:
I honestly don't know either, so will pass this off as "I thought".. I thought the reason was because KRON was playing hardball with NBC for the renewal, thinking NBC would give in on whatever demands they wanted (and/or buy KRON).. But instead, they bought KNTV & made it an O&O.
I believe your version is basically how it happened.
Inundated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:30 PM   #161
mattack

Did you move from the Bay Area to Ohio?

(If so, WHY? I didn't think anybody left CA!! or at least, you're in the rounding error down to 0!)
Old 03-05-2013, 10:36 PM   #162
Inundated
Face For Radio

I am from Ohio. I did live and work in Sacramento and I'm in media...
Inundated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:45 AM   #163
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
"The Following" is pretty gruesome.

Cable is not subject to ANY rules. They willingly follow OTA-like rules, at least for basic/extended basic cable channels. The various FCC rules ("7 words you can't say on TV") do not apply to cable. Though the loosening of cable I think is why OTA rules are being loosened (d*bag is common OTA now, and the 'd word' showed up on something last night, I think The Apprentice).
On this note, I find it interesting that on The Daily Show, they used to bleep out just about all curse words. Then for a stretch last year (and maybe early this year as well) they let a certain curse word that starts with SH go without bleeping. In fact they had Pink perform One Last Kiss complete and uncensored. But I've noticed over the last few weeks they've gone back to bleeping that word. Complaints? Different management?
Old 03-06-2013, 09:40 AM   #164
Scott Stevens
This space for rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee 2.0 View Post
I thought I was the only person in the entire world who watched Journeyman. Can't wait for Gray's Anatomy to end so Kevin McKidd can find a decent part.
There are a lot of reasons I can't wait for Gray's Anatomy to end...

"Science makes everything sound painful, SpongeBob." - Sandy Cheeks
Scott Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote