TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-05-2013, 11:51 PM   #1
plazman30

Is there any advantage to MOCA instead of wired Ethernet?

I currently have two Premier units hooked up via wired Ethernet into a gigabit switch. Would moving these devices to MOCA help me in any way?
plazman30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:09 AM   #2
waterchange

Generally, no. Stick with wired ethernet.
waterchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:24 AM   #3
scole250

Not sure of the answer, but isn't MoCA is still a bus architecture and all nodes share the bandwidth like wireless nodes do? Where switched ethernet allows a pair of nodes to use a dedicated circuit. Not a big deal with only a few nodes, but when you have 4 or more nodes a pair of nodes use a switched circuit while 2 other nodes have their own switched circuit, assuming the switch has a back plane that's fast enough. Again, the amount of bandwidth required for a few Tivos isn't going to stress MoCA, but if you have PCs/laptops moving backups or other large files over your network it will make a difference. Also, MoCA has to be bridged in the wired ethernet at a single point, which is technically a bottleneck, meaning all MoCA to wired ethernet traffic has to go over that single link. MoCA supports up to 200Mbit so you probably aren't going to see any latency with just a couple Tivos.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:00 AM   #4
jcthorne

If you already have wired ethernet to the tivos, switching to MOCA would offer no improvement and in fact a reduction in speed.

MOCAs advantage is not needing to pull new network cables through the home where TV Coax already exists.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:52 AM   #5
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Wired Ethernet is the gold standard. In decreasing order of speed and reliability, I think you're looking at:

1. Wired Ethernet
2. MoCA
3. Powerline
4. WiFi

(Although I'm not sure about 2 vs. 3, since some Powerline adapters claim 500 Mbps now.) The advantage as you go down that list is that you're reaching more locations -- Ethernet has to be wired specifically, MoCA reaches every TV port, Powerline reaches every electrical plug, and WiFi goes anywhere within range.

Given that you say you already have Gigabit Ethernet, I can't see how there could be any advantage to MoCA. Even if you had only 100 Mbps Ethernet, the TiVo can't max that out anyway, and you could always just upgrade the switch. The worst-case scenario would be if your Ethernet was miswired, limiting you to 100 or even 10 Mbps. But even that's pretty easy to fix.

How I could be wrong: If the TiVo can do more than 100 Mbps over MoCA, but has only a 100 Mbps Ethernet port, and if you can get more than 100 Mbps out of it via multiple simultaneous transfers (since I know you can't do it with just one), then in that scenario, there could be an advantage to MoCA. I don't think this is likely.

Edit: The regular Premiere doesn't have built-in MoCA, so it would require an external MoCA adapter, and be limited by its 100 Mbps Ethernet port anyway. The Premiere 4 supposedly has Gigabit Ethernet, which should be faster than its built-in MoCA.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 03-06-2013 at 10:04 AM.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote