TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #1
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Bad cable connection affects only one QAM frequency?

TiVo HD with TA on TWC, Southwest Ohio. For several months now I've noticed that anytime an SDV channel gets assigned QAM modulator frequency 543 MHz, there will be severe video pixelation and audio distortion. The signal level is 40 to 45, occasionally going down to 0 and occasionally losing tune on the channel altogether. SNR is 28 dB and RS error counts climbing rapidly. This is the ONLY QAM frequency that has these deficiencies. All other frequencies have signal strengths of 80 to 100, SNR of 34+ dB, and no RS error counts. Even adjacent QAM channels such as 549 MHz.

Today I had my second service call for this problem. The tech was the same one who came for the first call and this time I was able to show him the numbers for 543 MHz in DVR diagnostics. He immediately concluded the problem was upstream from my equipment and went outside to do something.

Turns out the first thing he did was get into the tap box at the corner of our yard and tighten the connectors. And that immediately fixed the problem! (Although it may have introduced problems on other QAM channels -- only time will tell if the fix is complete.)

My question for those who may know is:
Can a poor cable connection cause severe attenuation just on ONE 6 MHz frequency band? It seems counter-intuitive to me but .... ???

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:25 PM   #2
shamilian

poor connectors as well as kinks in the wire can cause problems in a single or multiple narrow frequency ranges.
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:33 PM   #3
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamilian View Post
poor connectors as well as kinks in the wire can cause problems in a single or multiple narrow frequency ranges.
Can you expand on how this works or how you know this, or reference a document that discusses it?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote