TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-03-2013, 10:39 PM   #1
ducker

Lost surround sound

So out of the blue I've seen to have lost my 5.1 from my premiere unit. I've double checked to make sure it's outputting Dolby digital, and that's all set correctly. Double checked the optical connection as well as my receiver. Right now, it looks like there is some setting on my TiVo box that is keeping it from outputting 5.1

Both recorded media as well as live content is only outputting in 2.1

Any suggestions would be appreciated as nothing sucks more than watching a great movie on HBO in 2.1

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2013, 12:30 AM   #2
Larry M

If the TiVo passes Dolby 5.1+and does not do the decoding itself like the Roku does, then optical will not carry that signal. Only HDMI can do that.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:21 AM   #3
steve614
what ru lookin at?

You made sure the Tivo is set to Dolby Digital (NOT Dolby Digital to PCM)?
Maybe you inadvertently changed a setting on your receiver?

Try switching to Dolby Digital to PCM and then back to Dolby Digital.
If that doesn't work, try rebooting the Tivo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
If the TiVo passes Dolby 5.1+and does not do the decoding itself like the Roku does, then optical will not carry that signal. Only HDMI can do that.
Optical carries Dolby 5.1 just fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:22 AM   #4
Larry M

Yes, optical cables carry 5.1, but they do not carry Dolby 5.1 plus. That is what Netflix uses. I don't know about the other streaming providers.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:48 PM   #5
ducker

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
You made sure the Tivo is set to Dolby Digital (NOT Dolby Digital to PCM)?
Maybe you inadvertently changed a setting on your receiver?

Try switching to Dolby Digital to PCM and then back to Dolby Digital.
If that doesn't work, try rebooting the Tivo.
Yes - I double checked this. interesting note - I was hearing the bleeps and bloops in the menu even when the mini picture was showing when I was browsing the menu - so it wasn't properly transmitting 5.1 since when it is, there are no bleeps/bloops unless the preview screen is NOT showing.

So I hit the reboot. Lets see if that clears it up. Also, going to try to swap out my optical cable to see if that fixes it.

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2013, 11:02 PM   #6
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducker View Post
interesting note - I was hearing the bleeps and bloops in the menu even when the mini picture was showing when I was browsing the menu - so it wasn't properly transmitting 5.1 since when it is, there are no bleeps/bloops unless the preview screen is NOT showing.
That sounds normal, although I'm not familiar with the Premiere and the preview window.

It makes sense to me because anytime you are in the menus, the Tivo is sending PCM to the receiver.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote