TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #1
Thunderclap

OTA in Chicago Area

I'm a recent convert to OTA. I live in Oak Park, a suburb of Chicago, and have a question about ABC. There are two 7-1 channels: WLSDT and WLSSTA. I assume these are two transmitters, but the weird thing is only one works at any given time. Example: the week before the Academy Awards WLSDT came in scrambled, and WLSSTA came in fine. However, the day of the Academy Awards WLSDT was suddenly clear and WLSSTA was scrambled. Since then it's switched back and forth two more times.

Does anyone know or have a theory as to why this is happening and, if so, how can it be fixed?

I have the antenna (a Mohu Leaf) connected to a Tivo. Since I'm in a condo complex I can't have an exterior antenna, and this one actually works very well minus this one issue. So if there is no way of resolving the signal strength issue of these two channels, and if I have a season pass with Tivo for a show on ABC, will it record both channels, or will it pick the one with the strongest signal?
Old 03-03-2013, 08:03 PM   #2
Davelnlr_

Sounds like they are working on their transmitter. Probably the best bet would be to call WLS and ask them whats going on.
Davelnlr_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:30 PM   #3
Thunderclap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davelnlr_ View Post
Sounds like they are working on their transmitter. Probably the best bet would be to call WLS and ask them whats going on.
If that's the case, will Tivo figure out which antenna is strongest and record the show off that one, or will it record both?
Old 03-03-2013, 10:56 PM   #4
Davelnlr_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderclap View Post
If that's the case, will Tivo figure out which antenna is strongest and record the show off that one, or will it record both?
I dont think it will record them both. It would only record on the one with the season pass set up...assuming they both come in at once.

The one ending in STA is a temporary license. Once it is completed, one would assume they will drop the WLSDT, moving that license to the transmitter they are installing.
Davelnlr_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:26 AM   #5
atmuscarella

Looks like they originally were broadcasting on Physical Channel 7 and are in the process of moving to physical channel 44. The Display channel will remain 7-X so at some point one of the channels will go away permanently.
http://www.rabbitears.info/search.ph...pe=dBm&height=
I would think that once they are broadcasting on physical channel 44 they will not be broadcasting on physical channel 7 anymore and you can remove it from your channel list.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:07 AM   #6
bluecar2

ABC has a website with further details (that I can't link due to low post count). On March 18 their RF7 antenna will be turned off leaving only RF44.

bluecar
bluecar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:47 AM   #7
Thunderclap

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecar2 View Post
ABC has a website with further details (that I can't link due to low post count). On March 18 their RF7 antenna will be turned off leaving only RF44.
Thanks. I guess I'll just wait the two weeks and see if the problem resolves itself.