TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-03-2013, 05:10 PM   #1
timon0x31

Thumbs down Wish list recording sucks!

I setup a wish list to record NASCAR so I would not have to worry about what channel it was on. Well come the race today NASCAR did indeed start recording but did it record on Fox at 1080? No, it recorded on the 480i feed

I called TS and they said, yep that's how it works, it uses the lowest resolution feed. HOW TOTALLY STUPID!!! What idiot thinks I want to record an low res?

Maybe someone with a brain will realize that this needs to be fixd.
timon0x31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:21 PM   #2
jrtroo
User

Or you just eliminate that unwanted channel and not have to worry about it again.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:24 PM   #3
etz

how about adding "Category: HD" to your wishlist definition? Won't it then only pickup up the HD airings?

Then if you also want to get any SD stuff that does not have an HD equivalent, you could have a second nascar wishlist and put it below your HD wishlist in the season pass manager.

I never did this, so I have no idea if it really works.
etz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:05 PM   #4
moyekj

Wishlists, especially ability to make advanced wishlists is one of the things that sets TiVo apart from anyone else, so I have completely opposite opinion about them than the OP. Just like with anything else you have to learn more about how it works and once you know the rules learn how to deal with it. SD channels are completely removed from my lineup as there is no need for them anymore. My wishlists behave exactly as I expect them to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:06 AM   #5
rahnbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
SD channels are completely removed from my lineup as there is no need for them anymore. My wishlists behave exactly as I expect them to.
Same here. Just have to watch for channel creep as in my area they keep sneaking/swapping new or renamed SD channels or renaming them which puts them back in the lineup.
rahnbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:04 AM   #6
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by timon0x31 View Post
I called TS and they said, yep that's how it works, it uses the lowest resolution feed.
That's not accurate, although it's sometimes the result. The rule is more like, "lowest channel number". Since a lot of cable companies put the SD channels at lower numbers than the HD equivalents, this is what you get.

As others have noted, taking the SD duplicates out of "Channels You Receive" will solve most of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etz View Post
I never did this, so I have no idea if it really works.
I have, and it does.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:16 AM   #7
reneg

My SD channels are removed.

Here's the Nascar wishlist that I use.

Wishlist Name: Nascar
Keywords:
(Sprint Cup)
(Nationwide)
(Camping World Truck)
-Qualifying
-Practice
-Testing
Title Keyword: Nascar Racing

Show Type: First-run Only
Stop Recording: 1 hour longer
reneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:11 AM   #8
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Pretty much the ARWL I use for NASCAR, except I exclude trucks. Works great as long as you delete the SD channels, I never have to do anything to get all the Nationwide and Sprint races.
It will pick up the occasional Thursday repeat of a race on Speed because of listing errors, however, so I just cancel or delete those.

The recommendation is always to delete SD channel equivalents if you use ARWLs, I wouldn't count on the "Category: HD" being always correct personally.

Sure would be nice if people posted questions or searched first before blasting basic features like WLs when they don't work as you think. Lots of drive-bys stop here though.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:18 PM   #9
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Wishlists, especially ability to make advanced wishlists is one of the things that sets TiVo apart from anyone else, so I have completely opposite opinion about them than the OP. Just like with anything else you have to learn more about how it works and once you know the rules learn how to deal with it. SD channels are completely removed from my lineup as there is no need for them anymore. My wishlists behave exactly as I expect them to.
plus a gazillion, says the guy with 50-60 WLs.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:14 PM   #10
mattack

What exact Tivo are you on? IIRC, Premiere 4 prefers the HD channels (which I personally think is bad, since it takes WAAAY more storage.. if I had infinite storage, sure I'd pick the HD channel for everything, but I'd rather have LOTS of recordings to keep for a long time, then watch in batches).
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote