TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-02-2013, 10:06 PM   #1
thatwilsonguy

How do Multiple Tivo's work together?

I'm thinking of picking up an XL4. I currently have a stream and a premier.

Would the two Tivo's simply work independently with the ability to transfer content show by show or is there an additional folder that would allow you to easily see what's on the other DVR?

If there is deeper integration I would assume it's NOT so robust that either tivo sees that it has X amount of tuners based on the number and type of Tivo's. I.E. I try to start a recording on a tivo with both tuners recording and it seamlessly uses a tuner on the other Tivo.

How does the stream interact with multiple Tivo's? Does it work with both well or is "setup" required when you want to switch between them.
thatwilsonguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:22 PM   #2
BigJimOutlaw

They generally work independently. At the bottom of My Shows will be a selection to see what's on the other DVR. While I believe you can now also schedule recordings from the opposite Tivo, it doesn't automatically choose a Tivo with an available tuner in case one is busy. So recordings will have to be managed appropriately.

The Stream only needs to be setup once in the app. You select the DVR you want to connect to from a list. It'll connect to that box and refresh the content accordingly.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:43 AM   #3
thatwilsonguy

Thanks, that perfectly answered all my questions. Based upon how everything has worked so far, I assumed that's how they worked.
thatwilsonguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:06 PM   #4
Mike-Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
They generally work independently. At the bottom of My Shows will be a selection to see what's on the other DVR. While I believe you can now also schedule recordings from the opposite Tivo, it doesn't automatically choose a Tivo with an available tuner in case one is busy. So recordings will have to be managed appropriately.

The Stream only needs to be setup once in the app. You select the DVR you want to connect to from a list. It'll connect to that box and refresh the content accordingly.
I currently have a two tuner TiVo Premiere. I may be moving soon and getting two roomates and I want them both to also get a TiVo. If they record programs on their respective TiVo's in their bedrooms, would they be able to view those recordings on the livingroom TiVo? Would they be able to delete those recordings in the bedrooms from the livingroom TiVo? How many TiVo's can be connected on the network?
Mike-Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:34 PM   #5
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-Wolf View Post
I currently have a two tuner TiVo Premiere. I may be moving soon and getting two roomates and I want them both to also get a TiVo. If they record programs on their respective TiVo's in their bedrooms, would they be able to view those recordings on the livingroom TiVo? Would they be able to delete those recordings in the bedrooms from the livingroom TiVo? How many TiVo's can be connected on the network?
I'm not aware of any limit to the number of Tivos one can have on the network. Some people have had half a dozen or more. But the Tivos need to be on the same account to "see" each other.

If you were absolutely determined to make that work, the roomies would have to pay you for the Tivo/fees and keep it on your account. If they move out you can cancel or detach it from your account and they can use it elsewhere. There is usually a 1 year contract for purchases, so account for that too.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:56 PM   #6
Mike-Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
I'm not aware of any limit to the number of Tivos one can have on the network. Some people have had half a dozen or more. But the Tivos need to be on the same account to "see" each other.

If you were absolutely determined to make that work, the roomies would have to pay you for the Tivo/fees and keep it on your account. If they move out you can cancel or detach it from your account and they can use it elsewhere. There is usually a 1 year contract for purchases, so account for that too.
I definitely agree on having everything on my account since it was my idea in the first place. They're honorable people I've known for years so I know they'd pay me for the service. I do wonder if I'm able to add new equipment onto my account that I just renewed a few weeks ago for a 1 year commitment. Would I be able to add those devices using a month to month service while I stick with my one year service or would they too have to go onto the one year service. Also wondering if I add the new equipment onto the account if it adds onto the one year agreement or if it still ends on the original date.
Mike-Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:06 PM   #7
DaveDFW

Quote:
I do wonder if I'm able to add new equipment onto my account that I just renewed a few weeks ago for a 1 year commitment. Would I be able to add those devices using a month to month service while I stick with my one year service or would they too have to go onto the one year service.
All the devices shown in your account can different service terms. I'm fairly positive you should be able to mix any combination of yearly, monthly, and lifetime devices.
DaveDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #8
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
I definitely agree on having everything on my account since it was my idea in the first place. They're honorable people I've known for years so I know they'd pay me for the service. I do wonder if I'm able to add new equipment onto my account that I just renewed a few weeks ago for a 1 year commitment. Would I be able to add those devices using a month to month service while I stick with my one year service or would they too have to go onto the one year service. Also wondering if I add the new equipment onto the account if it adds onto the one year agreement or if it still ends on the original date.
Each Tivo has its own individual set of terms, usually a 1 year contract that ends a year from its own activation. Adding new ones to the account won't stack or reset the clock on older ones.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:05 AM   #9
SNJpage1

When you install TV Desktop, it asks to link a tivo to your account. Wouldnt they be able to have their own accounts but this person link them to another account by inputting the access key? Or does Tivo treat this differently?