TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-24-2013, 02:26 AM   #1
dave060863

Where is Stream for Android???

TIVO guys, c'mon! I've been a loyal TIVO customer since 2000! I don't buy Apple products. Period. Ever. Help me and other friends of TIVO who don't buy Apple out here. Where's our Stream for Android?!
dave060863 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #2
Davisadm
TiVo is Back!!!!!!!!

Sorry, if you "don't buy Apple products. Period",
then you are out of luck, period.
Davisadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
dave060863

I'm sorry, did you think I was I talking to you? Your comment in not helpful and irrelevant.

Question still stands, TIVO. I understand the need to attack the Apple market first, but it's been about a year now. We've been patient. You have the other half of the mobile market place waiting. Please advise.
dave060863 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:00 PM   #4
Philmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave060863 View Post
I understand the need to attack the Apple market first, but it's been about a year now. We've been patient. You have the other half of the mobile market place waiting. Please advise.
It's been 5 months since the stream hit the market. And "Other half of the mobile market place"? What are you talking about?

Look, I'm with you that TiVo needs to step it up and release Android and Windows 8 client, but the Android Tablet market is a tiny fraction compared to the iPad installed user base, so lets not get ahead of themselves.
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:17 PM   #5
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philmatic View Post
It's been 5 months since the stream hit the market. And "Other half of the mobile market place"? What are you talking about?

Look, I'm with you that TiVo needs to step it up and release Android and Windows 8 client, but the Android Tablet market is a tiny fraction compared to the iPad installed user base, so lets not get ahead of themselves.
:BUZZ: :buzz: :buzz: Wrong! Android actually world wide outsells iCrap! In 2012 Android outsold iCrap in the states even!
----
TiVo Premiere [746320]+WD1TB w/slide remote(original)
TiVo Premiere [746500]+WD1TB
TiVo Stream (happily streaming to Android)
PCurry57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:39 PM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCurry57 View Post
:BUZZ: :buzz: :buzz: Wrong! Android actually world wide outsells iCrap! In 2012 Android outsold iCrap in the states even!
As a phone OS that is true, but the Stream is aimed mainly at tablets not phones.

I've explained this before but there is actually a technical reason for the Android delay. The Stream uses a technology called encrypted HLS. Apple invented that technology so it is supported on all iOS devices. However Android did not add support for encrypted HLS until v4. And the only mass market tablets that use Android v4+ are the Kindle Fire HD and the Nexus, both of which weren't even released until late last year. So until like August of last year there wasn't even an Android tablet on the market capable of using a Stream. And actual mass market adoption of those tablets didn't happen until the holidays. So there was really no substantial market for an Android version of the Stream until about 2 months ago.

That being said a TiVo employee confirmed via this forum that they started work on a Android version back in November. A 6 month development cycle is typical for these sorts of things so I'm guessing we're looking at an April release date for Android support. Perhaps during that cable show where they announced the Stream hardware last year?
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:21 PM   #7
button1066

Quote:
It is a sign of advanced wit and intelligence to substitute scatalogical words for the names of products. Probably the same intelligence that lead to you buying a second rate iPad knock off instead of the real thing (joke!)
button1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:14 PM   #8
Austin Bike

What if there is a technical/legal reason why it won't work?

While I know that many people want andriod support (and yes I have both tablets), if it isn't in market yet, there is probably a good reason. It's not like they wrote and and just never bothered to release it. There is a reason, but none of us knows, so this is probably not the right place to vent. I'd go to tivo instead.
Austin Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:20 AM   #9
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Bike View Post
What if there is a technical/legal reason why it won't work?

While I know that many people want andriod support (and yes I have both tablets), if it isn't in market yet, there is probably a good reason. It's not like they wrote and and just never bothered to release it. There is a reason, but none of us knows, so this is probably not the right place to vent. I'd go to tivo instead.
Dan stated it above
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:52 AM   #10
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by button1066 View Post
It is a sign of advanced wit and intelligence to substitute scatalogical words for the names of products. Probably the same intelligence that lead to you buying a second rate iPad knock off instead of the real thing (joke!)
I realize it's a joke but I've used my friends iPads and iPhones before. There is no way I would want to use that over the Android tablets or Android phones I've owned. But to each their own. Everyone has their own preferences.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:03 AM   #11
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
... And the only mass market tablets that use Android v4+ are the Kindle Fire HD and the Nexus, both of which weren't even released until late last year. So until like August of last year there wasn't even an Android tablet on the market capable of using a Stream. ...
Really? I think you might ask Samsung if they consider their tablets to be mass market or not. Oh and by the way my Samsung tablet came with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and I have had it since last May.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:36 AM   #12
NAMLOOT

I bought an iPad mini just so I could use the stream. I love the stream, but haven't been overly wowed with the iPad. Both operating systems boil down to preference, pricing, and content. A lot of the apps are cleaner and nicer on iOS, but performance wise, my wife's Nexus performs as well as the iPad.

In terms of the stream, we have young kids and can now watch our non-kid shows with them in the room. Headphone splitter and we can even watch together while they watch the big TV. Greatest TV invention IMO since you in essence get a roaming TV in your house.

I would think that TiVo could make a lot of money putting the streaming on Android, so it will happen. Netflix took forever on Android too.
NAMLOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:02 AM   #13
atmuscarella

I was never really that interested in the Stream so at this point I will likely just wait and see if they get a new DVR out the door that has the Stream functionality built into it. I am sure others will jump as soon as the software is available but the longer they take the more people will think like I do.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 02-26-2013, 10:14 AM   #14
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

Quote:
Second Rate LOL.

IOS is a second rate OS (incomplete) the rapid iCrap rollout of newer flavors in order to keep up with Android are evidence. I would never buy any iCrap, give me one, no I'd sell it. The entire Apple lock you into their market is anti-competitive. This was a big part of wht Apple never overtook the PC market. Mac's with their ZERO slot closed box design; not easily extensable with after market hardware add-on's forcing you to dole out ever increasing sums of cash for an entire new system.
----
TiVo Premiere [746320]+WD1TB w/slide remote(original)
TiVo Premiere [746500]+WD1TB
TiVo Stream (happily streaming to Android)
PCurry57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:21 AM   #15
atmuscarella

Quote:
Second Rate LOL.

IOS is a second rate OS (incomplete) the rapid iCrap rollout of newer flavors in order to keep up with Android are evidence. I would never buy any iCrap, give me one, no I'd sell it. The entire Apple lock you into their market is anti-competitive. This was a big part of wht Apple never overtook the PC market. Mac's with their ZERO slot closed box design; not easily extensable with after market hardware add-on's forcing you to dole out ever increasing sums of cash for an entire new system.
That is the way computing is heading in general regardless of operating system. Sealed non-upgradable & hardly repairable devices. People seem to like the cell phone model of getting new hardware every 2 years - and so do the hardware manufactures.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 03-01-2013, 05:56 PM   #16
m_jonis

I thought I saw a Dish network ad on TV that they can stream to Android and iOS. Maybe time to switch?
m_jonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:18 PM   #17
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_jonis View Post
I thought I saw a Dish network ad on TV that they can stream to Android and iOS. Maybe time to switch?
If it does what you want it to then you should switch.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:35 AM   #18
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_jonis View Post
For most people picking a pay TV provider also involves dealing with High speed Internet and perhaps a home phone. In my opinion normally Dish is a better value than cable when one just considers the Pay TV part, but it gets more complicated when you also look at high speed Internet and perhaps home phone.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 03-02-2013, 01:36 PM   #19
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
Really? I think you might ask Samsung if they consider their tablets to be mass market or not. Oh and by the way my Samsung tablet came with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and I have had it since last May.
As of Q3 of last year Samsung only had ~18% of the total tablet market, and only some of their tablets had Android 4.0+. At the same time iOS had over 50% of the market and all of their devices supported HLS. And those are world wide numbers. In the US the numbers skew even more in Apple's favor. And since the Stream is a US only device that's relevant.

You have to remember there is a lag between development and release of this stuff. If you're developing a product for release in September of 2012 you likely started planning development for that device at least a year earlier. At that time Androids market share in the tablet space was tiny, and Android 4.0 was still brand new and not used on much of anything. And even on the day of release sales of Android 4.0 devices were still relatively small and they probably wanted to hold back development to see how well the device itself actually sold. By the holiday season they were able to see the Stream was a success and sales of Android 4.0 tablets were picking up so they announced, in November, that they started development of an Android app for the Stream. Unfortunately these things take time so it may be 6 months or so before it actually hits the market. If it's still not out by April/May then you have every right to be upset.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:40 PM   #20
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
...If it's still not out by April/May then you have every right to be upset.
I am not upset, personally all TiVo has done is likely save me from buying a Stream. I just think it was bad business. They are going to spend the same amount of money to develop the software but successfully pissed lots of people off. They really need to stop doing that.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 03-03-2013, 03:11 AM   #21
Dan203
Super Moderator

I've done work for TiVo in the past. Granted it was like 7 years ago, but at the time they had a very limited budget for secondary projects like this. If that's still the case then it may be that they only had the budget to develop for one platform for launch so they chose the more popular one. It may seem like bad business, but TiVo is a relatively small company that still rarely turns a profit. If they didn't have budgets they'd likely go out of business completely.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:00 AM   #22
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
That is the way computing is heading in general regardless of operating system. Sealed non-upgradable & hardly repairable devices. People seem to like the cell phone model of getting new hardware every 2 years - and so do the hardware manufactures.
Yep, the Nexus 7 is non-upgrade able. No big deal, just buy the max size if you want it.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #23
button1066

Quote:
Second Rate LOL.

So sorry you can't afford nice things but crying about it makes you look ridiculous. How anyone can be so bitter over consumer products is laughable.
button1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:02 PM   #24
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:

So sorry you can't afford nice things but crying about it makes you look ridiculous. How anyone can be so bitter over consumer products is laughable.
Yep their quote shows just how little the know about Apple products today. I have and Android and have iOS products. So, I can truly make the comparisons for myself. I like them both for different reasons.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:34 PM   #25
Austin Bike

Quote:
I am not upset, personally all TiVo has done is likely save me from buying a Stream. I just think it was bad business. They are going to spend the same amount of money to develop the software but successfully pissed lots of people off. They really need to stop doing that.
But the point is that if the are satisfying the bulk of the market and pissing off a minority, then it was a good business decision. In my house there are 3 iPads and one android. That reflect the general market for the most part. They are servicing the largest part of the market which is what they are supposed to do.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #26
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Bike View Post
But the point is that if the are satisfying the bulk of the market and pissing off a minority, then it was a good business decision. In my house there are 3 iPads and one android. That reflect the general market for the most part. They are servicing the largest part of the market which is what they are supposed to do.
What TiVo is supposed to do is make money for their share holders and pissing off customers doesn't do that.

But I think people are still living in 2011 as of 9/2012 Android was estimated to have 48% of the installed tablet base in the US. Many of those Android tablets were not running android 4.0 or higher needed for the stream but the hand writing was clear that Android tablets where not some niche player.

If they never decided to develop for Android fine hopefully they would have done the math correctly and decided it would not be profitable.

However in this case they are now going to develop for Android so they will be spending the same or more money as if they had made that decision 3 or even 6 months earlier. There maybe some minor benefit to the last quarterly report by having the development costs moved into the future but TiVo has plenty of cash and will be ending up having expenditures be in the same place within 1 quarter. So the only question becomes what is the impact of the delay on sales. Maybe nothing or maybe something, no way to know. But likely some people will be put off by the delay and never buy and other people like me will just decide to wait and see what the next DVR brings to the table.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 03-03-2013, 11:01 PM   #27
aaronwt
HD Addict

Yes, at this point I might as well wait for a Series 5 and see if the stream capabilities are built in. Maybe, maybe not. Assuming Android support comes before the next NFL season starts, I'll make a decision then. Hopefully by then we will know if/when a Series 5 will be released.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:19 PM   #28
Dan203
Super Moderator

Someone posted in another thread that TiVo engineering responded to a tweet and said an Android update will be coming in a couple of weeks. No specific mention of whether or not it'll support the Stream but since they have the Android team working on something it's possible.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:25 PM   #29
jrtroo
User

Quote:
However in this case they are now going to develop for Android so they will be spending the same or more money as if they had made that decision 3 or even 6 months earlier.
I believe we were told in the fall that an android app for Stream was a future product. So, that decision was made, costs are being incurred, and we are just waiting on the result.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:16 PM   #30
Austin Bike

For those asking why Apple support was so easy and android support is more difficult:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-575...erent-devices/

In order to support 90% of the android market they would need to support 331 devices.

Now, on the apple side, its 3-4 ipads and 2-3 phones.

Huge difference from a coding and support standpoint.

Even if android is a bigger addressable market, the cost to go after it is significantly higher because of the fractured nature of the android market.

In addition to those 331 devices, thing about how many versions of the OS that you need to support.

And, in the "pissing off customers" category, doing apple products is a much easier proposition because apple does a better job of "self selecting" the OS and device. They stop support for the older devices on the new OS (just ask any ipad 1 user or an iphone 3 user). But in the android world there is more backwards porting which makes the test matrix huge. (Hell, I am running android jellybean on a kindle fire....)

Now, the market for android is so fractured that offering android support for some models and some versions of the OS would create more angry customers and more pressure on them ("you already have support for it on xyz running 123, why can't I get it on abc running 456...?)

I'm sure they will eventually get there and I will be happy when they do, but assuming that because android is large market it is smartest to start there is a fallacy. It's all about the usage and ease of bringing the product to market. And regardless of the market sizes, there is a better ROI on the apple products.