TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-01-2013, 03:13 PM   #4921
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousMark View Post
I would expect that this is the kind of calculus TiVo does for these kinds of errors.
I think you expect too much from TiVo. I expect them to put a band-aid on it by patching the Desktop software. And will push everyone to buy TiVo Stream hardware and smartphone/tablets as the new "solution" here...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #4922
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by christheman View Post
I just loaded and tried the update. Good to see you were able to get the IMDB part in, it makes a big difference and opens things up.
I see the suggestion from a new user was deleted (not sure why) but wanted to reiterate:

It would be great if these IMDB searches included the YEAR otherwise all we get is a looooong list of matching search results and not the specific thing we're meant to be looking for.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Old 03-01-2013, 06:45 PM   #4923
christheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
I see the suggestion from a new user was deleted (not sure why) but wanted to reiterate:

It would be great if these IMDB searches included the YEAR otherwise all we get is a looooong list of matching search results and not the specific thing we're meant to be looking for.
Sorry for the confusion. I tried that again, immediately after I posted the thought, then realized that their basic search returns all possible iterations of the TITLE - whether or not you include the YEAR. I should have followed up with another post to say that the advanced search "can" do that, but the query string is significantly longer and different, and would use two variables (TITLE and YEAR), nested among some static query text. It would require moyekj to make some changes in order to make it work. My concern is that, since I have noticed that IMDB has been making some recent changes to coding of their templates, this too may change overnight, and its further complexity may make it prohibitive to count on over the long term. Or not. Programmer beware
christheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:48 PM   #4924
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Ah, I see. Gotcha. I hadn't quoted your feature request so my "^^ Good idea! ^^ " response looked odd. So I came back here to delete that reply, and also reiterate the suggestion in a new post. Thanks for the extra information, makes sense.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:16 PM   #4925
sanjonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
If you want to see stdout/stderr while any kmttg job is running double-click on the job in the job table if using the kmttg GUI. The command line stdout/stderr redirect ">" and "2>" only work within context of a cmd shell so have no meaning when launching via kmttg.
Gotcha, makes complete sense.
Is there any way to get the log as a file? If its a big deal than no problem, but if possible, it would be nice to see the final stats as its really helpful to determine b frames and a few other things I am doing in my trials, but I need the log after the job completes and to compare to other jobs run. In essence, I need to run multiple versions and look at all the files (log files) together when finished.
sanjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:10 PM   #4926
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjonny View Post
Gotcha, makes complete sense.
Is there any way to get the log as a file? If its a big deal than no problem, but if possible, it would be nice to see the final stats as its really helpful to determine b frames and a few other things I am doing in my trials, but I need the log after the job completes and to compare to other jobs run. In essence, I need to run multiple versions and look at all the files (log files) together when finished.
Not really. But from the stdout/stderr window you get when you double-click the job in kmttg when it completes you can select every line (or just the lines of interest) and copy/paste into a text editor to save it.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #4927
mattack

Sorry for a tangential question, but are there any tools that will let me en masse set the keep until date on a whole bunch of shows that I select? (I'll probably do it in batches for EVERY show.)

The FSI shows I'm in the high 70s or low 80s of percent full, but my suggestions all went away and I'm sure I lost at least a few programs yesterday. (It *could* have possibly been a suggestion hitting on an HD channel that I don't get and it guesstimated wrong, but I don't think so since I watch the To Do list pretty carefully… I just think the same thing that causes the ~2.05 GB minimum file size is getting the Tivo's internal size calculations wrong too.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:56 PM   #4928
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Sorry for a tangential question, but are there any tools that will let me en masse set the keep until date on a whole bunch of shows that I select? (I'll probably do it in batches for EVERY show.)

The FSI shows I'm in the high 70s or low 80s of percent full, but my suggestions all went away and I'm sure I lost at least a few programs yesterday. (It *could* have possibly been a suggestion hitting on an HD channel that I don't get and it guesstimated wrong, but I don't think so since I watch the To Do list pretty carefully… I just think the same thing that causes the ~2.05 GB minimum file size is getting the Tivo's internal size calculations wrong too.)
Don't think there's a tool ready to use that can do it, but most likely can be done fairly easily via RPC if you want to attempt writing a program to do so. Perhaps an easier solution though would just be to offload a bunch of shows from your TiVo assuming they are not all copy protected.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:15 PM   #4929
mattack

Maybe this will just be the impetus for me to finally get another external drive to offload more shows. Except for the music shows I keep, I have transferred many back, so it's not completely pointless for me to do this.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:50 PM   #4930
wuzznuubi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzznuubi View Post
I'm assuming kmttg uses ffmpeg to determine a file's container type and codec contents?

Wondering if there's an ffmpeg commandline option kmttg can use in order to limit ffmpeg's time spent probing/searching to determine container/codecs.

I'm downloading in transport stream format and using kmttg to call VideoRedo to decode and QSF the downloaded TiVo files.

I just ran into a recording where kmttg determined the TiVo transport stream file it just downloaded was an mpeg2 transport stream file, so told VideoRedo to QSF and save as an .mpg instead of a .ts.

I did a commandline
Code:
ffmpeg -report -i recording.TiVo
on the TiVo file and the resulting text report file (after 5+ minutes of ffmpeg running) is 1.5GB!!!
We're obviously all spoiled by moyekj's kmttg and have nothing else to discuss but politics and religion and of course TiVo Corp decisions;-)

I just wanted to point out that this has surfaced again with kmttg downloading (with curl) in ts format from the Premiere and using VRD to decrypt/QSF and save in .ts format. Appears that ffmpeg is not 100% in determining the needed info for kmttg on a downloaded .TiVo TS stream to be able to Download/Decrypt/QSF/SaveAs .ts. MediaInfo works every time, but I'm not sure if it's because of it's LGPL licensing or lack of platform/codec support that it's not an option for kmttg. I'm manually checking every kmttg job because of this.

One (of 10 out of 23 downloads that failed recently) example is;

ffmpeg results
Code:
ffmpeg version N-50025-gb8bb661 Copyright (c) 2000-2013 the FFmpeg developers
  built on Feb 17 2013 02:44:12 with gcc 4.7.2 (GCC)
  configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --disable-w32threads --enable-avisynth --enable-bzlib --enable-fontconfig --enable-frei0r --enable-gnutls --enable-libass --enable-libbluray --enable-libcaca --enable-libfreetype --enable-libgsm --enable-libm
p3lame --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libopus --enable-librtmp --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libsoxr --enable-libspeex --enable-libtheora --enable-libtwolame --enable-libvo-aacenc --enable-libvo-amrw
benc --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libx264 --enable-libxavs --enable-libxvid --enable-zlib
  libavutil      52. 17.101 / 52. 17.101
  libavcodec     54. 91.103 / 54. 91.103
  libavformat    54. 63.100 / 54. 63.100
  libavdevice    54.  3.103 / 54.  3.103
  libavfilter     3. 38.100 /  3. 38.100
  libswscale      2.  2.100 /  2.  2.100
  libswresample   0. 17.102 /  0. 17.102
  libpostproc    52.  2.100 / 52.  2.100
[mpeg2video @ 000000000209dc40] 0x0 is invalid
    Last message repeated 83 times
[mpegts @ 000000000210af80] Stream #1: not enough frames to estimate rate; consider increasing probesize
[mpegts @ 000000000210af80] Stream #2: not enough frames to estimate rate; consider increasing probesize
[mpegts @ 000000000210af80] Stream #3: not enough frames to estimate rate; consider increasing probesize
[mpegts @ 000000000210af80] Stream #4: not enough frames to estimate rate; consider increasing probesize
[mpegts @ 000000000210af80] decoding for stream 0 failed
[mpegts @ 000000000210af80] Could not find codec parameters for stream 0 (Video: mpeg2video ([2][0][0][0] / 0x0002)): unspecified size
Consider increasing the value for the 'analyzeduration' and 'probesize' options
[mpegts @ 000000000210af80] Could not find codec parameters for stream 1 (Audio: ac3 ([129][0][0][0] / 0x0081), 0 channels, fltp): unspecified sample rate
[mpegts @ 000000000210af80] Could not find codec parameters for stream 2 (Unknown: none ([151][0][0][0] / 0x0097)): unknown codec
[mpegts @ 000000000210af80] Could not find codec parameters for stream 3 (Unknown: none): unknown codec
[mpegts @ 000000000210af80] Could not find codec parameters for stream 4 (Unknown: none): unknown codec
[NULL @ 000000000209a020] start time is not set in estimate_timings_from_pts
[NULL @ 00000000021175a0] start time is not set in estimate_timings_from_pts
[NULL @ 00000000049e7a80] start time is not set in estimate_timings_from_pts
[NULL @ 0000000004ca0200] start time is not set in estimate_timings_from_pts
Welcome to the Jungle #102.TiVo: could not find codec parameters
MediaInfo results
Code:
MediaInfo 0.7.62
Copyright (C) 2002-2012 MediaArea.net SARL

MediaInfo provides easy access to technical and tag information about video and audio files.
Except the Mac App Store graphical user interface, it is open-source software, which means that it is free of charge to the end user and developers have freedom to study, to improve and to redistribute the program (LGPL license)

General
ID                                       : 1 (0x1)
Complete name                            : C:\tivofiles\Welcome to the Jungle #102.TiVo
Format                                   : MPEG-TS
File size                                : 6.28 GiB
Duration                                 : 1h 0mn
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 14.7 Mbps

Video
ID                                       : 1984 (0x7C0)
Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)
Format                                   : MPEG Video
Format version                           : Version 2
Format profile                           : Main@High
Format settings, BVOP                    : Yes
Format settings, Matrix                  : Custom
Format settings, GOP                     : Variable
Codec ID                                 : 2
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Maximum bit rate                         : 20.0 Mbps
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate                               : 29.970 fps
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Interlaced
Scan order                               : Top Field First
Compression mode                         : Lossy

Audio
ID                                       : 1985 (0x7C1)
Format                                   : AC-3
Format/Info                              : Audio Coding 3
Codec ID                                 : 129
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Encryption                               : Encrypted

Text #1
ID                                       : 1984 (0x7C0)-CC1
Format                                   : EIA-608
Muxing mode                              : A/53 / DTVCC Transport
Muxing mode, more info                   : Muxed in Video #1
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Stream size                              : 0.00 Byte (0%)

Text #2
ID                                       : 1984 (0x7C0)-1
Format                                   : EIA-708
Muxing mode                              : A/53 / DTVCC Transport
Muxing mode, more info                   : Muxed in Video #1
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Stream size                              : 0.00 Byte (0%)
Result - final output from kmttg was an mpg, not a ts file. I'm having to manually check kmttg's output and end up redoing this w/VRD manually.

Suggestions?

Last edited by wuzznuubi : 03-01-2013 at 11:11 PM. Reason: P.S. Not meant to be a MediaInfo advert, just looking for kmttg advice ;-)
wuzznuubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:11 AM   #4931
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzznuubi View Post
Result - final output from kmttg was an mpg, not a ts file. I'm having to manually check kmttg's output and end up redoing this w/VRD manually.

Suggestions?
As stated before in your case it's not really a big deal because it's just a video container change, which is a remux, which is what VRD is doing as part of qsfix anyway. In any case I've uploaded a kmttg.jar with mediainfo cli support for determining video information that you can try:
http://kmttg.googlecode.com/files/kmttg_v0p9o_beta1.zip
(Rename kmttg.jar in your current installation and replace with the one in above zip file).
Under File->Configure->Programs supply the full path to where you install the CLI version of mediainfo.exe.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:04 PM   #4932
lew

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
They currently have to roll-out new releases over a period of several weeks by controlling which TSNs can access it until it is fully deployed. Can you imagine having to schedule it for all of the affected TiVos, as opposed to putting out a new TD that is very far from being in ubiquitous use. It's also one d/l for each user of TD as opposed to a d/l for every TiVo, whether TD is being used or not.
Staging the download over weeks was done when software was downloaded via dial up. Is a complete software download much (any) larger then the showcases?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousMark View Post
a comparison of how many old S2 and S3 boxes that a software update will break by doing the partition swap versus the number of TiVo Transfer users it will help. .
It doesn't break the box but might expose a failing hard drive. How many S2 and S3 boxes are either under a tivo warranty or extended warranty? Any?

Tivo might consider this a positive and not a negative.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:27 PM   #4933
innocentfreak

I am guessing it is due to my huge number of season passes, but I noticed Checking Existing Season Passes when trying to setup a season pass can take a while. I was wondering if there might be a way to incorporate the Season Passes tab to speed up the process. Since KMTTG would already have a list of passes, it would know if it needs to modify or setup a new season pass.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #4934
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
Staging the download over weeks was done when software was downloaded via dial up. Is a complete software download much (any) larger then the showcases?
Whether it is necessary any longer or not, it is still being done.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:09 PM   #4935
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
I am guessing it is due to my huge number of season passes, but I noticed Checking Existing Season Passes when trying to setup a season pass can take a while. I was wondering if there might be a way to incorporate the Season Passes tab to speed up the process. Since KMTTG would already have a list of passes, it would know if it needs to modify or setup a new season pass.
Problem is if you just created a SP then the list is not up to date. So to be safe the check is done each time. The check is needed because TiVo does allow duplicate SPs to be created which is a situation I'm trying to avoid.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:14 AM   #4936
muerte33

I like the new keyboard shortcut ("q") that fires up IMDB.
Thanks for writing and maintaining KMTTG, it really is a great program!
muerte33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #4937
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Quote:
Problem is if you just created a SP then the list is not up to date. So to be safe the check is done each time. The check is needed because TiVo does allow duplicate SPs to be created which is a situation I'm trying to avoid.
Looking through the code I see that I'm using the same method as the full blown SP table to get SPs along with upcoming and conflicting shows. For the purposes of checking against existing SPs there is no need for upcoming and conflicting shows, so for next release I will eliminate that which should speed things up quite a bit.
In fact, just doing a quick test right now the time to check against SPs dropped from 8 seconds to less than 2 for an Elite with 36 SPs.

Last edited by moyekj : 03-03-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:02 PM   #4938
moyekj

v0p9o release

v0p9o version just released with following changes:
* Update to make checking against existing Season Passes much quicker as in above post.
* Fx for launching web browser on Mac platform for IMDB queries.
* Option to use mediainfo cli instead of ffmpeg for obtaining video information needed for certain tasks.
* Updated tools in default Windows tools package and added mediainfo cli to the package.
See release_notes

Old 03-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #4939
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

Fix The Cookie Bug?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post

Should they do this? Yes. Will they do this? No. From their point of view, changing TD addresses the issue and "fixes" the problem for most users.
If they won't fix it, possibly we can. Might it be possible to find the hard-coded cookie date in the TiVo s/w using a hex editor? If so, note the file name, offset and figure out the replacement hex to fix it in place? Change the expiration to 2038.

I'd pull my THD's drive and make the change, if someone figured out just where/what to modify.

Yes, the fix would be best done on both s/w partitions, and would be wiped out by any new s/w pushed out by TiVo, but still...
Old 03-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #4940
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi View Post
If they won't fix it, possibly we can. Might it be possible to find the hard-coded cookie date in the TiVo s/w using a hex editor?
Yes, I already found it (it's in ASCII). The problem is that you can't patch tivoapp without disabling the TiVo's integrity checking, unless you have the key to sign the software (which AFAIK only TiVo has).

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:47 PM   #4941
innocentfreak

Quote:
Looking through the code I see that I'm using the same method as the full blown SP table to get SPs along with upcoming and conflicting shows. For the purposes of checking against existing SPs there is no need for upcoming and conflicting shows, so for next release I will eliminate that which should speed things up quite a bit.
In fact, just doing a quick test right now the time to check against SPs dropped from 8 seconds to less than 2 for an Elite with 36 SPs.
Nice thanks.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:03 PM   #4942
wuzznuubi

Quote:
As stated before in your case it's not really a big deal because it's just a video container change, which is a remux, which is what VRD is doing as part of qsfix anyway. In any case I've uploaded a kmttg.jar with mediainfo cli support for determining video information that you can try:
http://kmttg.googlecode.com/files/kmttg_v0p9o_beta1.zip
(Rename kmttg.jar in your current installation and replace with the one in above zip file).
Under File->Configure->Programs supply the full path to where you install the CLI version of mediainfo.exe.
Thanks moyekj. Sorry slow to respond. I've been out of it with the flu. I downloaded the new release and tried 4 samples and everything looks great so far! I'll queue up a bunch to run tonite.

Thanks again for the great program and fast response!
wuzznuubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #4943
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Yes, I already found it (it's in ASCII). The problem is that you can't patch tivoapp without disabling the TiVo's integrity checking, unless you have the key to sign the software (which AFAIK only TiVo has).
Are we really sure about the extent of that protection? Supposedly a TiVo checks all its software for unauthorized modifications each time it boots, but aren't there sometimes reports of units misbehaving because presumably the software got corrupted somehow? How is that possible? How can the TiVo software ever be corrupted without the TiVo halting with an obvious error during the boot process?
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #4944
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

AFAIK it's the database that gets corrupted, not the software.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:05 PM   #4945
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
Are we really sure about the extent of that protection? Supposedly a TiVo checks all its software for unauthorized modifications each time it boots, but aren't there sometimes reports of units misbehaving because presumably the software got corrupted somehow? How is that possible? How can the TiVo software ever be corrupted without the TiVo halting with an obvious error during the boot process?
You're assuming two things. 1. That the speculation about s/w corruption was correct. 2. That the signature involves a checksum.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:20 PM   #4946
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
AFAIK it's the database that gets corrupted, not the software.
That's the way the Sid=abc cookie crumbles.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:32 PM   #4947
lrhorer

Quote:
Precisely, and they are not about to share it with anyone. It's never been cracked, or at least not by anyone who is advertising the fact.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:48 PM   #4948
lrhorer

Quote:
Are we really sure about the extent of that protection?
What do you mean? Do we know the mechanism? Yes.

Quote:
Supposedly a TiVo checks all its software for unauthorized modifications each time it boots
Well, not all. On an S3 class machine, the BIOS checks the kernel to make sure it is digitaly signed. If not, it wil not pass control to the kernel. Once control has been passed to the kernel, it checks the contents of several key directories to make sure there are no extra files in them, and then it checks the md5sum of certain key files, including the tivoapp binary, to make sure they have not been modified. Once this is done, the initrd loads the root file system and booting continues normally as on any other Linux system.

On a Premiere, there are actually digital signatures unique to the particular TiVo embedded in the CPU itself. In essence, the CPU code on each and every Premiere is unique. One cannot simply replace the CPU and get the TiVo to work, let alone simply replacing a BIOS PROM chip as can be done with the Series III models.

Quote:
but aren't there sometimes reports of units misbehaving because presumably the software got corrupted somehow?
There are reports of Bigfoot and Little Green Men, too. 'Doesn't mean they are true. More to the point, the DATA on the hard drive can be corrupted without giving the Chain of Trust fits. The TiVo does check the MFS file system for format errors during boot, much like regular Linux systems periodically run fsck on the file system which are about to be mounted during boot, but just because the file structures pass muster does not mean their contents do.

Quote:
How is that possible? How can the TiVo software ever be corrupted without the TiVo halting with an obvious error during the boot process?
There are a number of ways. The TiVo does not check every single byte on the hard drive. It doesn't even check every single file used by the OS.

Last edited by lrhorer : 03-06-2013 at 08:55 AM.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:00 AM   #4949
mlippert

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
On a Premiere, there are actually digital signatures unique to the particular TiVo embedded in the CPU itself. In essence, the CPU code on each and every Premiere is unique. One cannot simply replace the CPU and get the TiVo to work, let alone simply replacing a BIOS PROM chip as can be done with the Series III models.
Huh,
So are these signatures in the CPU checked by the kernel? That would seem to imply that you can't put the hard drive from one Premiere into a different one and expect it to work. Which if true would make repairing crashed drives impossible.
mlippert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:30 AM   #4950
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlippert View Post
That would seem to imply that you can't put the hard drive from one Premiere into a different one and expect it to work.
AFAIK you've never been able to do that with any TiVo model. At least, you wouldn't be able to do it, and expect the recorded videos to play. You'd have to "clear everything and delete."