Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #121
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
I agree. I still watch most of the Thursday night lineup. Now that 30 Rock is gone and The Office is almost over, I have no idea what will happen next year. Parks and Rec isn't strong enough to carry the night with three new shows.
Three new shows? Doesn't that make the assumption that:
(a) Community won't be back;
(b) neither will Whitney;
(c) neither will Guys With Kids?
EDIT: (d) neither will Go On or The New Normal?

I wouldn't be surprised to see Go On moved to Thursday, so it could have two established and two new comedies, and free up the first hour on Wednesday (which is pretty much a dead slot, as it is against The X Factor performances in the fall and American Idol performances in the spring) and the second hour on Tuesday for something else.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:55 PM   #122
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

looking at my current SP list, here are the shows I have that are on NBC

The Office
The New Normal
Revolution
Parenthood
Smash
1600 Penn
NBC Nightly News

A pretty decent amount, I think. In the past, I had SPs for notable shows like Friday Night Lights and The West Wing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:03 PM   #123
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Shows that either I or my wife(*) watch:

NBC - Community, Parks & Rec, The Office, Go On, Parenthood, Revolution
CBS - Survivor, BBT, HIMYM
ABC - Nashville, Modern Family, Suburgatory, Happy Endings, Once Upon a Time (but I'm like 13 eps behind on that, so I might drop it), Grey's Anatomy*, Bachelor*
FOX - New Girl, Mindy Project, Glee, Raising Hope (also way behind on that one)
CW - Supernatural, Hart of Dixie*, 90210* (is that still on?)

So CBS may be America's most watched network, but it's just about my least-watched one.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:19 PM   #124
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Three new shows? Doesn't that make the assumption that:
(a) Community won't be back;
(b) neither will Whitney;
(c) neither will Guys With Kids?
EDIT: (d) neither will Go On or The New Normal?

I wouldn't be surprised to see Go On moved to Thursday, so it could have two established and two new comedies, and free up the first hour on Wednesday (which is pretty much a dead slot, as it is against The X Factor performances in the fall and American Idol performances in the spring) and the second hour on Tuesday for something else.
Four of the five shows you named aren't currently on Thursday night, so I don't think that saying they'll have three new shows on Thursday next week automatically means all those shows won't be back.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:07 PM   #125
WhiskeyTango

The only show I watch on NBC is Revolution. Last pilot season, I had high hopes for a bunch of their shows but Revolution was the only one that got picked up. Without actually looking it up, I'd guess most of the shows I watch are on cable but ABC or CBS would be the biggest networks.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:39 PM   #126
mattack

Quote:
This was a bonehead move on their part. The show had solid ratings and does well in syndication. There's a bunch of dummies running this network. Myself, I have literally never seen an episode of the show but it is always seemed like a CBS-type show and we all know how well those do.
Law & Order is an NBC show (I think you know that).

Even though the production company for NBC is under the same corporate parent as NBC the broadcast network, I don't think that always matters as much as you think it does. For example, NBC would care about the ratings of the show *as it airs* and the production company is the one that cares about the syndication income. Yes, it's better for the entire entity to have shows made by the same corporate parent rather than another company getting the money.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:25 AM   #127
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Four of the five shows you named aren't currently on Thursday night, so I don't think that saying they'll have three new shows on Thursday next week automatically means all those shows won't be back.
I realize that. I figure that at least one of the shows will be moved to Thursday (possibly unless NBC decides to renew 1600 Penn). This would free up the Wednesday 8-9 (Eastern) and/or Tuesday 9-10 slots for hour-long shows.

My current list of NBC shows:
Smash
Revolution
Whitney
Chicago Fire
Parks & Recreation
1600 Penn
America's Got Talent
(I was also watching 30 Rock up until it ended)
Old 03-01-2013, 10:29 AM   #128
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
That was my thought. These are not Thursday shows. None of them have done all that well anyway. I don't expect Community to return.

You are probably right that some of those shows will be moved to Thursday.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:31 AM   #129
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Law & Order is an NBC show (I think you know that).

Even though the production company for NBC is under the same corporate parent as NBC the broadcast network, I don't think that always matters as much as you think it does. For example, NBC would care about the ratings of the show *as it airs* and the production company is the one that cares about the syndication income. Yes, it's better for the entire entity to have shows made by the same corporate parent rather than another company getting the money.
I realize it is an NBC show. It's a procedural like so many of those CBS shows. Most of those shows all do very well and L&O did very well for a VERY long time. Cancelling it did not make a lot of sense. It continued to pull in decent numbers.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:24 PM   #130
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Cancelling it did not make a lot of sense. It continued to pull in decent numbers.
Not really. It was getting around a 1.7 in it's last season at a time when ratings were higher across the board. 24 ended that same year with ratings around 2.9.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:34 PM   #131
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
Not really. It was getting around a 1.7 in it's last season at a time when ratings were higher across the board. 24 ended that same year with ratings around 2.9.
Exactly. 1.7s (and below) are now commonplace for NBC, but 2-3 years ago, that was still considered a horrible rating.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:08 PM   #132
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
These are not Thursday shows.
It took me a minute to understand what you meant by that...
Then again, wasn't Whitney's first season on Thursdays?

Quote:
I don't expect Community to return.
I think it has one chance - if enough of its fans drink the "100 episodes or no syndication" Kool-aid and make enough of a stink that NBC orders 13 more episodes. Never mind that Comedy Central already has a syndication deal for the show. (Then again, if somebody really feels that it needs 100 episodes, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if CC itself has them produced, the way it does with Futurama.)
Old 03-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #133
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Exactly. 1.7s (and below) are now commonplace for NBC, but 2-3 years ago, that was still considered a horrible rating.
My thought exactly. 1.7 is a VERY welcome number for NBC these days.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #134
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
I think it has one chance - if enough of its fans drink the "100 episodes or no syndication" Kool-aid and make enough of a stink that NBC orders 13 more episodes. Never mind that Comedy Central already has a syndication deal for the show. (Then again, if somebody really feels that it needs 100 episodes, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if CC itself has them produced, the way it does with Futurama.)
With a syndication deal already in place, that means the production studio is going to be much more eager to negotiate a good deal to keep the show on the air. If the studio offers to let NBC air the show for next to nothing, because they know they're going to make their money on the back end from the syndication deal, NBC can't really afford to turn that down. Rumors are that they're losing hundreds of millions of dollars each year. If they can fill a timeslot with average ratings (for them) at virtually no cost, that seems like a no brainer.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #135
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
I realize that. I figure that at least one of the shows will be moved to Thursday (possibly unless NBC decides to renew 1600 Penn). This would free up the Wednesday 8-9 (Eastern) and/or Tuesday 9-10 slots for hour-long shows.

My current list of NBC shows:
Smash
Revolution
Whitney
Chicago Fire
Parks & Recreation
1600 Penn
America's Got Talent
(I was also watching 30 Rock up until it ended)
I forgot about Chicago Fire. I have an SP for that too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:59 PM   #136
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

The broadcast network shows I watch are:

NBC (7): Community, Parks & Rec, The Office, Revolution, Go On, Whitney, Up All Night*
CBS (6): Survivor, The Amazing Race, BBT, HIMYM, 2.5 Men, Rules of Engagement
FOX (6): The Simpsons, Bob's Burgers, Family Guy, American Dad, New Girl, The Following
ABC (2): Modern Family, Happy Endings

*Not sure if I'll continue watching Up All Night if/when it comes back, but I'll have to at least check out the changes.

I also watched 30 Rock and Fringe which recently ended their runs, and I still watch Cougar Town which moved from broadcast to cable.

Looking at that list, it seems I really like sitcoms. It also seems that I don't like drama, but that's not true. It's just that most of the drama I enjoy is on cable, rather than the cookie-cutter procedurals or soaps that are on broadcast.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:57 PM   #137
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Yikes. An NBC affiliate chose to air a Matlock movie made in 1992 instead of the Thursday night lineup. Matlock did better than 1600 Penn and about the same as an Office Rerun. The state of "Must See TV" has REALLY changed!

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/03/01/nb...liate-matlock/
Old 03-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #138
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
My thought exactly. 1.7 is a VERY welcome number for NBC these days.
But it wasn't when Law & Order was cancelled.
Plus, you're assuming it would get a 1.7 now.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #139
Inundated
Face For Radio

Quote:
Yikes. An NBC affiliate chose to air a Matlock movie made in 1992 instead of the Thursday night lineup. Matlock did better than 1600 Penn and about the same as an Office Rerun. The state of "Must See TV" has REALLY changed!

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/03/01/nb...liate-matlock/
That was our NBC affiliate in Cleveland, WKYC, and the stations in this market have a long history of pre-empting low-rated network shows every so often with Matlock reruns.

Still, pretty amazing when you look at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
I dunno.. never really impressed me...

That logo was appropriated, er, stolen from Nebraska Public Television, no? As I recall, NBC had to pay them a settlement...
Inundated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:39 PM   #140
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

I'm still pissed that L&O is gone. NBC deserves to suffer!

My blog:
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:49 AM   #141
ewolfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
One thing I was thinking of, since we see consolidations happening in the Airlines for instance, would be the feasibility of one network buying another....say CBS buying NBC, and doing to it something similar to what has happened in cable, begin to niche the network. I'm thinking something similar to how Time-Warner made TBS their comedy network and TNT their drama one. Imagine of CBS became drama only and NBC their sitcom network. Obviously I doubt this will happen in the near future.
NBCUniversal is now wholly owned by Comcast. They originally started with buying a 51% stake from GE. But a couple weeks ago they bought out the rest: http://money.cnn.com/2013/02/12/news...sal/index.html
ewolfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:21 PM   #142
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewolfr View Post
NBCUniversal is now wholly owned by Comcast. They originally started with buying a 51% stake from GE. But a couple weeks ago they bought out the rest: http://money.cnn.com/2013/02/12/news...sal/index.html
What was the reason they bought out the rest? Do they feel they need total control to turn things around? Was GE in the way?
Old 03-03-2013, 06:21 PM   #143
ewolfr

Comcast originally had 5 years to slowly buyout the rest of GE's stake, Comcast was going to eventually own all of NBCUniveral anyway. They simply decided to accelerate the process and take it over now instead. Maybe the interest rates being so low allowed them to get the money they needed from the banks, I honestly have no idea.
ewolfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #144
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
So you say you want a Revolution...

I still think of NBC as being the #1 network, with ABC #2, and CBS #3 and PBS #4, with no other real choices. Times certainly have changed.
YES, I want a Revolution against the Rebloodican House…

The problem with the networks ABC, CBS, NBC and to some extent PBS is that they need to conform to the community decency act and are at a disadvantage when trying to compete with TNT, AMC, USA, HBO, Showtime and “other” cable networks. NBC just cannot air a show like “Dexter” or “The Walking Dead” without being hit by a lawsuit from some “group” that find the show offensive and think that nobody should be allow to view it.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:57 PM   #145
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
NBC just cannot air a show like “Dexter”
CBS did air "Dexter" a while back. Censored, but still.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:54 AM   #146
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post
That was our NBC affiliate in Cleveland, WKYC, and the stations in this market have a long history of pre-empting low-rated network shows every so often with Matlock reruns.

Still, pretty amazing when you look at it.
Strange - the primary reason KRON in San Francisco lost its NBC affiliation (and, as a result, a significant part of northern California that uses antennas for local channels can't get NBC) was because it had a habit of pre-empting NBC shows and showing local programs in its place. (Okay, the primary offender was baseball - I think it was Oakland A's games at the time - but it was also little things, like showing old movies on Saturday afternoons in place of the third rounds of non-major golf tournaments. There was also the time that a baseball game caused NBC's coverage of an Olympic Track & Field Trials to be moved to midnight-to-4 AM.)
Old 03-04-2013, 09:23 AM   #147
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Strange - the primary reason KRON in San Francisco lost its NBC affiliation (and, as a result, a significant part of northern California that uses antennas for local channels can't get NBC) was because it had a habit of pre-empting NBC shows and showing local programs in its place. (Okay, the primary offender was baseball - I think it was Oakland A's games at the time - but it was also little things, like showing old movies on Saturday afternoons in place of the third rounds of non-major golf tournaments. There was also the time that a baseball game caused NBC's coverage of an Olympic Track & Field Trials to be moved to midnight-to-4 AM.)
If you read the article about the Cleveland preemption, it says they do this a couple times a year, not on a regular basis. And notice that they didn't preempt any new programming (except 1600 Penn, which nobody cares about). They waited until sweeps was over and until after Community had aired its new episode.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:47 AM   #148
Azlen

NBC had hopes that Celebrity Apprentice would help them out a bit. Nope. It had a 1.6 demo rating with a total audience of 5 million. A Family Guy rerun won the hour in the demo with a 1.9. People are obviously watching more cable TV than broadcast TV on Sunday nights because the highest rated show on the broadcast nets was Amazing Race with a 2.4.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:55 PM   #149
Inundated
Face For Radio

Quote:

If you read the article about the Cleveland preemption, it says they do this a couple times a year, not on a regular basis. And notice that they didn't preempt any new programming (except 1600 Penn, which nobody cares about). They waited until sweeps was over and until after Community had aired its new episode.
There's a certain amount of preemption allowed in a standard network contract with its affiliate. WKYC doesn't dump NBC very often. A couple or three times a year for stuff like this - as noted, outside of sweeps.

WKYC is also the OTA affiliate for Cleveland Indians baseball, but that was 20 games a year at most. It's less than a half dozen games this year.
Inundated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #150
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Actually it said that they didn't realize 1600 Penn was a new episode. It says a lot about the state of the programming on NBC when even the affiliates don't care enough about the programming to know what is airing.