TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-27-2013, 04:10 PM   #4891
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Anyway, no, it's too trivial to be copyrightable.
Oh, so it's only good enough for a patent on the obvious.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:22 PM   #4892
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
I'm trying to figure out if I can fix the ToGo code in Galleon in a similar manner to work around the cookie issue. Galleon is using the Apache httpclient libraries in java. I thought it might be as easy as adding:

get.setRequestHeader("Cookie", "sid=abc");

before the execute method, but that doesn't seem to work.

moyekj, I don't know the back-end details of what you're doing in kmttg, obviously, but since it's in java could you give me a hint as to how you implemented your fix so maybe I can apply that to Galleon's code?

Thanks!
You can take a look at the code online. Relevant file is:
http://code.google.com/p/kmttg/sourc...main/http.java
Look inside "cookieInputStream" method. 1st connection just connects without authentication to grab the cookies. Then a 2nd connection is made with cookies and authentication.

NOTE: I didn't make any changes to this after the expired cookie was discovered. It worked regardless. The workaround was implemented for curl downloads.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by moyekj : 02-27-2013 at 04:29 PM.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:59 PM   #4893
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
You can take a look at the code online. Relevant file is:
http://code.google.com/p/kmttg/sourc...main/http.java
Look inside "cookieInputStream" method. 1st connection just connects without authentication to grab the cookies. Then a 2nd connection is made with cookies and authentication.
Thanks. Looking at my debugging code I might have been looking in the wrong place to begin with, so I'll track down the right place and then see if there's anything I can do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:19 AM   #4894
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
The most recent terrible official comment from TiVo: "But since our solution is expected to be on the TiVo Desktop PC client and not the DVR itself, the fix should resolve the transfer issue for any platform that works with TiVo Desktop." Um, no, TiVo, you can't fix it in TD, because it's not broken there. You can only work around it in TD. Hence the term "workaround".
This is TiVo's payback for the hundreds of comments on this forum disrespecting TiVo Desktop. If you want to use non-TiVo software for TTG transfers you can darn well do your own fix ... err... workaround.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:42 AM   #4895
howards

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
kmttg needs the TSN # to determine if machine is mind enabled, and if it can't get the TSN from Bonjour then it tries to get it from middlemind.tivo.com if you have TiVo username & password specified. If you login to this page do you see your S2 TiVo listed as one of the options?
https://www3.tivo.com/tivo-tco/go.do?def=tco.todo.page
If not then that's probably why.

I'm not sure if S2 TiVos used Bonjour to advertise themselves or not. Perhaps if you let kmttg use TiVo Beacon to detect TiVos for a few minutes your S2 TSN should be found: Configure-Tivos-Detect with TiVo Beacon instead of Bonjour (and make sure "Look for Tivos on network" is enabled). Once the TSN is found it's saved for next session so then those error messages should go away.
The link you posted above took me to a Tivo page had both my series 2s listed but also said:

DVR management is not available on your selected box

We're sorry, DVR management is available only for TiVo-manufactured Series 3/TiVo HD and TiVo Premiere DVRs. If you received your box from your TV service provider, please contact your provider.

I did not have kmttg configured to look for Tivos at all - just hardcoded the IP addresses (I use static IPs so they never change). I did try enabling using Tivo Beacon as you suggested, and just enabling it was enough to get rid of the message about not being able to find the TSN.

Strange that this only occurred with 1 of my 2 Series 2s, but thank you for the fix.
howards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:02 AM   #4896
Call Me Richard
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cO8W6zlv View Post
My Netgear ReadyNAS started failing to archive TiVo shows earlier this month. It will download 1KB TiVo and .nfo files then fail. I deleted these and retried. Now the ReadyNAS does not "see" the files at all.

I thought I read somewhere that TiVo supports ReadyNAS.
Same thing happened to me. I've reported it to Netgear Support, with a reference to the thread Sudden file transfer failure: kmttg and Tivo Desktop.

Have you reported it to Netgear? I'd like to have some backup here, so they don't think I just some random idiot that doesn't know how to work this!
Call Me Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:21 AM   #4897
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
This is TiVo's payback for the hundreds of comments on this forum disrespecting TiVo Desktop. If you want to use non-TiVo software for TTG transfers you can darn well do your own fix ... err... workaround.
Yeah, well, I did that, and they still haven't. So much for payback.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:54 AM   #4898
unitron

Quote:
The most recent terrible official comment from TiVo: "But since our solution is expected to be on the TiVo Desktop PC client and not the DVR itself, the fix should resolve the transfer issue for any platform that works with TiVo Desktop." Um, no, TiVo, you can't fix it in TD, because it's not broken there. You can only work around it in TD. Hence the term "workaround".
I'm confused, what are all of these platforms other than the TiVo that work with TiVo Desktop, and how many were adversely affected by the St. TiVo's Day Massacre time bomb, and how, and how is patching Desktop going to fix anything for them?

Old 02-28-2013, 08:46 AM   #4899
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

Quote:
This is horrible. Tivo has their heads up their a*ses.

<rant on>

They are writing terrible code, with no long term thought to it. Perfect example is ProgramID and the HDGUI using that to get season/episode and SDGUI using EpisodeNum

So, on shows loaded from other than tivos, like from a website, the Tivo will display the sea/eps in the SDgui and not display it in the HDGui

How come every release of software is a new experience in pain for tivo. Fix 3, add 1 and break 4. Have they not heard of regression testing?

And why does the HDGui take 2+ YEARS to finish? And why is it so slow to use? Sometimes PAINFULLY SLOW.

<rant off>

BTW, I still have a series 1, Sony SVR2000 running with lifetime. It's sole purpose in life, for 9 years, has been to record, in analog from the video out of a cable box, the Young and the Restless, for my wife. I've changed cable boxes 3 times, but it still sends IR to the box, and records the composite out
Tivo (S2-retired, 500gb HD, 2 units)
TivoHD (2tb HD, chip mod, 2 units)
Tivo Premiere (2tb HD)
Tivo Premiere4 (2tb (JMFS) HD)

Last edited by philhu : 02-28-2013 at 09:49 AM.
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:04 AM   #4900
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I'm confused, what are all of these platforms other than the TiVo that work with TiVo Desktop, and how many were adversely affected by the St. TiVo's Day Massacre time bomb, and how, and how is patching Desktop going to fix anything for them?
I think they are talking about the platforms on which TD runs, i.e. various flavors of Windows.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:45 AM   #4901
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
I think they are talking about the platforms on which TD runs, i.e. various flavors of Windows.
...and Mac. Theoretically there's a Mac version. It sucks even more than TD for Windows, but it's there.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #4902
lrhorer

Quote:
The most recent terrible official comment from TiVo:
<sigh> The proper fix requires replacing less than 10 bytes in the tivoapp code, and they could (should) have had this in place and out the door in a matter of a day, with every TTG capable Tivo on the planet getting an update within a week. Instead they are going to make users upgrade their software in an attempt to implement a kludge.

This is really pathetic. 'Most gripes that come across on these conferences blame TiVo for things of which they are not really culpable or responsible, but this is just a botched job on TiVo's part all the way around.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #4903
lrhorer

Quote:
...and Mac. Theoretically there's a Mac version. It sucks even more than TD for Windows, but it's there.
Kinda like this bug, actually.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:44 AM   #4904
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Sheesh. It's no wonder why the HD UI remains incomplete. My hunch is that all the actual programmers and engineers have left the TiVo building. Maybe a few interns are peeking at the code and trying their best?

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #4905
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
<sigh> The proper fix requires replacing less than 10 bytes in the tivoapp code, and they could (should) have had this in place and out the door in a matter of a day, with every TTG capable Tivo on the planet getting an update within a week. Instead they are going to make users upgrade their software in an attempt to implement a kludge.
I didn't realize you were so intimately familiar with TiVo's s/w change and deployment process.

Should they do this? Yes. Will they do this? No. From their point of view, changing TD addresses the issue and "fixes" the problem for most users. It wouldn't fix it for me if I was still using TD but like most other s/w providers, they don't care about people using unsupported OS's like Win2K nor do they care about third party apps. They might care about the ReadyNAS, but I suspect that even there that they will tell Netgear to change things on their end.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:02 PM   #4906
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I didn't realize you were so intimately familiar with TiVo's s/w change and deployment process.
I'm pretty familiar with it from an end-user perspective, having had (and supported) many TiVo boxes installed in many homes over the course of a decade.

Their s/w change and deployment process sucks.

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:30 PM   #4907
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by philhu View Post
So, on shows loaded from other than tivos, like from a website, the Tivo will display the sea/eps in the SDgui...
Not really. It just displays whatever is in the episodeNumber field, which mayt or may not be of the form ssee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philhu View Post
... and not display it in the HDGui.
If you add the correct programId to the metadata, you can sometimes get season and episode to display in the HDUI.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:19 PM   #4908
lrhorer

Quote:
You mean their internal process, which is to say policy? If internal policies get in the way of proper support, they need to be dumped.

If you mean the pysical deployment mechanism, then yes, I am very familir with it. It's pretty trivial.

If you mean the code requirements, then I am completely familiar with it. I'm considering making the changes to my versions of tivoapp, and not waiting for Tivo. If they follow their published intent, then I almost surely will.

Quote:
Should they do this? Yes. Will they do this? No. From their point of view, changing TD addresses the issue and "fixes" the problem for most users.
No, it doesn't, from anyone's point of view. They have to publish a new version of TDT, which is every bit as difficult and resource consuming as publishing a new version of tivoapp, plus they then have to manually try to get everyone who has an old version of TDT to upgrade, and support all the users who have issues with the transition, perhaps for years to come.

This looks very much like a prime example of what happens when a company allows marketing types to override the good sense of the engineers.

Quote:
It wouldn't fix it for me if I was still using TD but like most other s/w providers, they don't care about people using unsupported OS's like Win2K nor do they care about third party apps.
From their perspectrive, that is not really the point. Again, from their perspective, they can invest a trivial amount of resources to completely fix the issue with no further repercussions regardless of the user or his platform, or they can create a neverending support issue for themselves.

Quote:
They might care about the ReadyNAS, but I suspect that even there that they will tell Netgear to change things on their end.
They might do all sorts of things. That does not make any of them wise or fiscally prudent.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:26 PM   #4909
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
I'm pretty familiar with it from an end-user perspective, having had (and supported) many TiVo boxes installed in many homes over the course of a decade.

Their s/w change and deployment process sucks.
In the past they have responded very effectively and quickly to squash bugs. Deployment of new features is not the issue, here.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:47 PM   #4910
unitron

I'd just like to see an honest explanation from them for why they coded in this time bomb in the first place.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:57 PM   #4911
lpwcomp

Quote:
YIf you mean the pysical deployment mechanism, then yes, I am very familir with it. It's pretty trivial.
I take it then that you either used to work for TiVo in s/w development or have actually spoken or corresponded with someone who does/did. You know for a fact that it is "trivial" to deploy a fix to a single module to every Series2, 3 & 4 platform? Do you know for sure that the mechanisms are even still in place to deploy fixes to Series2 or 3 boxes? Not to mention the fact that if TiVo were actually performing unit, regression, and acceptance testing, even a trivial change would be more complex than you are implying.

Quote:
If you mean the code requirements, then I am completely familiar with it. I'm considering making the changes to my versions of tivoapp, and not waiting for Tivo. If they follow their published intent, then I almost surely will.
And what makes this particular approach the "right" one rather than merely the easiest. Simply modifying the expiration date of the cookie is just as much of a kludge as modifying TD.

Quote:
No, it doesn't, from anyone's point of view. They have to publish a new version of TDT, which is every bit as difficult and resource consuming as publishing a new version of tivoapp, plus they then have to manually try to get everyone who has an old version of TDT to upgrade, and support all the users who have issues with the transition, perhaps for years to come.
Once again, you know this how?

Quote:
This looks very much like a prime example of what happens when a company allows marketing types to override the good sense of the engineers.
No, this looks more like something that was partially but never fully implemented - verifying a transfer request. And the fact that this code was in there got lost in the cracks.

Quote:
From their perspectrive, that is not really the point. Again, from their perspective, they can invest a trivial amount of resources to completely fix the issue with no further repercussions regardless of the user or his platform, or they can create a neverending support issue for themselves.
How? Which part of THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT THIRD PARTY APPS! do you not understand?

Quote:
They might do all sorts of things. That does not make any of them wise or fiscally prudent.
How exactly is this going to adversely affect their bottom line?

Old 02-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #4912
lpwcomp

Quote:
In the past they have responded very effectively and quickly to squash bugs. Deployment of new features is not the issue, here.
Tell that to the Series1 owners stil waiting for a fix to the DST problem.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:03 PM   #4913
lrhorer

Quote:
Tell that to the Series1 owners stil waiting for a fix to the DST problem.
They did fix that for most users, and quickly. My Sister's S1 DirecTiVo always has the correct time. So did my Philips SA TiVo, until it died.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:43 PM   #4914
lrhorer

Quote:
I take it then that you either used to work for TiVo in s/w development or have actually spoken or corresponded with someone who does/did.
No.

Quote:
You know for a fact that it is "trivial" to deploy a fix to a single module to every Series2, 3 & 4 platform?
Yes. It hasn't changed since the Series I, by the way.

Quote:
Do you know for sure that the mechanisms are even still in place to deploy fixes to Series2 or 3 boxes?
Yes. For that matter, one of my S3 Tivos just got a software update last night. It upgraded from 9.02 to 11.0k. Obviously the update mechanism remains in place for the S3. I can't speak from actual experience on the S2, since I have never owned an S2, but there would be little point in removing it.

Quote:
Not to mention the fact that if TiVo were actually performing unit, regression, and acceptance testing, even a trivial change would be more complex than you are implying.
Not really. Our lab performs regression and acceptance testing on every piece of hardware we deploy, and most of the hardware we use is vastly more complex than a TiVo. We also deploy one whole helluva lot more than 20 or so different models of equipment. A typical cycle for simpler devices such as a TDM mux is six weeks, but in an emergency we have regression tested software updates on massive core routers in less than 3 days.

Quote:
And what makes this particular approach the "right" one rather than merely the easiest. Simply modifying the expiration date of the cookie is just as much of a kludge as modifying TD.
No, it isn't. Admittedly it is a bit of a shoehorn approach, but it is nothing like the level of kludge modifying TD is. One is a matter of patching something that is broken with a bit of bailing wire and some duct tape, while the other is breaking a second item to make up for the fact the first one is broken. The patch completely eliminates the issue for all deployments current and future, while the other requires maintaining a permanent sticky note reminding everyone of the pothole that was never patched.

Quote:
Once again, you know this how?
Are you kidding me? How do I know that their releasing a new version of TDT requires every user of TDT to upgrade to the new version in order to take advantage of the fix? Are you seriously asking me how I know that everyone has to download and install the new software?

Quote:
No, this looks more like something that was partially but never fully implemented - verifying a transfer request. And the fact that this code was in there got lost in the cracks.
You mistake my meaning. I am talking about TiVo's public response to the current issue, not how the time bomb got into the code 'way back when.

Quote:
How? Which part of THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT THIRD PARTY APPS! do you not understand?
What part of "I'm not talking about 3rd party apps" do you not understand? It is true fixing the code in tivoapp alleviates the issue for 3rd party apps, but that is just an unintended parallel benefit. It alleviates the issue for all versions of TDT and all users of TDT, or any other supported app, now and in the future.

Quote:
How exactly is this going to adversely affect their bottom line?
You don't think that hundreds of additional calls to the TiVo help desk isn't a drain on their resources? You don't think that implementing the training for the help desk personel to handle the issue is not a drain on their resoureces? You don't think that keeping the help staff informed of the issue for an indefinite amount of time into the future is a drain on their resources?
Old 02-28-2013, 08:43 PM   #4915
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
I'm trying to figure out if I can fix the ToGo code in Galleon in a similar manner to work around the cookie issue. Galleon is using the Apache httpclient libraries in java. I thought it might be as easy as adding:

get.setRequestHeader("Cookie", "sid=abc");

before the execute method, but that doesn't seem to work.
Actually, it was that easy. When I was testing I had copied the wrong .jar file that I thought contained my change. After adding that single line, I was able to get Galleon ToGo downloads working again.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:20 PM   #4916
lpwcomp

lhorer,

You are making assumptions about what is necessary deploy a fix to every single platform when you you have absolutely no knowledge of what is actually involved. You have no idea if it is even possible to deploy a single module rather than modifying every platform's current s/w release. And if they can't, even if they manage to get every current s/w release modified, actually getting every non-Series1 SA TiVo updated would be a nightmare. They currently have to roll-out new releases over a period of several weeks by controlling which TSNs can access it until it is fully deployed. Can you imagine having to schedule it for all of the affected TiVos, as opposed to putting out a new TD that is very far from being in ubiquitous use. It's also one d/l for each user of TD as opposed to a d/l for every TiVo, whether TD is being used or not.

It is flat out delusional to think that *fixing* TD as opposed to *fixing* tivoapp will result in a c/s problem "for years to come". Once they have a modified TD in place, they'll probably send out email and/or a TiVo message. Whether you want to believe it or not, this is actually the fastest way to get TD working again for those who don't know how to "fix" it themselves.

As to my "Once again, you know this how?", I was referring to your statement saying that changing and deploying TD was "every bit as difficult and resource consuming as" changing and deploying tivoapp. The truth is, you have absolutely no idea what either option entails.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:30 AM   #4917
sanjonny

Help with handbrake messages

Not that I don't want to jump on the bash tivo (I tend to bash them directly, every month thru their surveys and random naggy emails) but I have a few kmttg related questions and comments.

As many of you know, I have not written nor really thought about code in years and most of you especially lhorer and mcbrine and especially moyekj would just laugh at how lost and silly my sparce coding is, but I have been doing some very useful things that I think might benefit all tivo/video processors and I imagine that many of you already do this kind of stuff but don't share it with the world, or maybe aren't as lazy as I am in wanting to automate some stuff but have it turn out the way I want it, so I am kinda forcing myself to learn some old stuff like nesting variables in bat files and all kinds of stuff I gave up long ago, so I guess I am spending 10 hours to save 5 minutes ultimately, but hopefully it will be 5 minutes over and over again.

Anyway, enough of my struggles. At some point I hope to post what I am doing and have actual qualified people refine and improve it should they be interested

BUT, First my suggestion. Isn't it time to close this thread and start kmttg 2, the new thread that can redirect to this 165 pager or whatever thread. Just a thought.

Second, mostly for moyekj, but anyone else can also help, I am trying to get the output of handbrakecli when encoding stuff so I can compare some stuff thru an automated process. Because I am trying to kinda bolt on what I am doing to kmttg, its nice if I can get it to work in kmttg unless it is just impossible to do. I already checked and its not a version issue and I think its not a output issue as I am seeking the sterror log and not the stout log that I imagine is how kmttg gives us progress but I tried

Code:
Big long handbrakecli code with the ending :vbv-maxrate=10000:vbv-bufsize=10000 -v -o OUTPUT
is my customized encode command and works fine. When I am not using kmttg but a batch file I can add 2>(outputfilestringname).txt to get the error log which gives me a bunch of statistics that I am analysing.
So I am guessing the command in the kmttg.enc should be
Code:
Big long handbrakecli code with the ending :vbv-maxrate=10000:vbv-bufsize=10000 -v -o OUTPUT 2> OUTPUT.txt
Which at least in the commandline shown on kmttg when it actually runs the command shows the correct filename(output).txt and correctly processes the video but when it runs it doesn't generate the txt(log) file anywhere. I searched just in case it put it somewhere else.

So if the filename was say PATH\community - new episode.mpg

the kmttg bottom window shows the correct
Code:
Big long handbrakecli code with the ending :vbv-maxrate=10000:vbv-bufsize=10000 -v -o "PATH\community - new episode.mkv" 2> "PATH\community - new episode.txt"
but the log file is not generated.

Is this because of inner background stuff I am not able to see, or is something else going on, or basically am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited by sanjonny : 03-01-2013 at 02:29 AM. Reason: fix syntax
sanjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:03 AM   #4918
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjonny View Post
Is this because of inner background stuff I am not able to see, or is something else going on, or basically am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help!
If you want to see stdout/stderr while any kmttg job is running double-click on the job in the job table if using the kmttg GUI. The command line stdout/stderr redirect ">" and "2>" only work within context of a cmd shell so have no meaning when launching via kmttg.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:53 PM   #4919
orinaccio

I did a search on this thread for "sleep" but unable to find anything addressing this, so I apologize if this was already addressed.

I recently upgraded to Mountain Lion OS X and have noticed that initially working fine, my transfers are "hanging" at some point during the transfer, meaning that zero bytes are being transmitted. There seems to be no time out error but the "time remaining" continues to grow higher and higher as zero bytes are transmitted. I left it running overnight and by morning i found that there was still zero bytes being transmitted (after 900 megs of data of transferred data), with no time out or error.

Suspecting that the computer going to sleep might have something to do with it, I kept the computer from going to sleep, and lo and behold the transfer completed fine.

Is there a known issue with Mountain Lion, its energy saver settings (e.g. Sleep), and KMTTG?

Thanks for the wonderful program by the way. I've been using it for years and am grateful to the developer and contributors for what it does.
orinaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:03 PM   #4920
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

I am enjoying the debate between the two of you (lpwcomp and lrhorer) and find it very enlightening. I thought I would throw a new thought into the mix and ask you what you both think about it.

One issue TiVo will need to consider when they decide whether to fix Tivoapp is a comparison of how many old S2 and S3 boxes that a software update will break by doing the partition swap versus the number of TiVo Transfer users it will help. Of course this decomposes into some detail questions. Things like will they need to do a full partition swap update to fix Tivoapp? How many boxes does an update break, especially older boxes? How many people is the problem affecting so that these numbers can be compared? What is the support cost for doing an update that can break boxes (or surface a failure that is still hidden) versus the never ending but always declining cost of support for a declining cohort of users with older TiVo boxes.

I would expect that this is the kind of calculus TiVo does for these kinds of errors.
CuriousMark is offline   Reply With Quote