TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-25-2013, 07:57 AM   #1
TivoRocks193

TiVo Clock Issue - Permanent work-around?

As detailed in this thread, TiVo released a bug around 2/16/2013 that prevents TiVo transferring unless the clock on the computer is reset to an earlier date, such as 2/13/2013. For continued use, the user must every day change the date of the clock to be in the past.

Two questions:

1) Does anyone have a more permanent work-around?

2) Has anyone gotten a definitive answer from TiVo about when a solution will be coming.

No need to comment if you are experiencing this issue, it's widespread and has been reported by many. I'd like to only here from people who have solutions and/or have spoken to TiVo and gotten them to acknowledge the issue.
TivoRocks193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:15 AM   #2
TivoRocks193

Nevermind, the suggestion in this thread works. You just need to update your curl.conf located in Windows 7 at:

C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\TiVo Desktop\curl.conf

With the line:

cookie = "sid=abc"

All working again. This is a pretty major screw up by TiVo though...
TivoRocks193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:19 AM   #3
dlfl
Cranky old novice

LOL. Fire then aim. Fire then aim.

Further evidence the forum's search feature is grossly underutilized.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:01 PM   #4
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by TivoRocks193 View Post
As detailed in this thread, TiVo released a bug around 2/16/2013
To be clear, they released this bug around 2005. (!) It just didn't become a problem until Feb. 16, 2013. It was like a lurking time bomb, except that I assume it was placed by accident.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:22 AM   #5
BH9244

Quote:
Nevermind, the suggestion in this thread works. You just need to update your curl.conf located in Windows 7 at:

C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\TiVo Desktop\curl.conf

With the line:

cookie = "sid=abc"

All working again. This is a pretty major screw up by TiVo though...

I've located the curl.conf file , should the quotation marks in the added line be included ? Txs
BH9244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:41 AM   #6
Arcady
Stargate Fan

FYI:

Whoever wrote the Mac version of the TiVo transfer software apparently ignored the cookie on the TiVo, because it still works just fine without any modifications.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:13 PM   #7
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH9244 View Post
I've located the curl.conf file , should the quotation marks in the added line be included ? Txs
Yes.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:01 PM   #8
steve771

Just got off a chat with Tivo as I had a computer meltdown and lost my Desktop Plus key. I was warned they were having 'problems' when I mentioned that Desktop wouldn't transfer files. They gave me the 'set your computer to a date before 2/17' as a workaround. It's a bit of a pain, so I came here, and sure enough, the community has the solution!

I wanted to toss in my 'thanks' for this fix (it works great), and a shame on Tivo for letting this go for almost 2 weeks w/o a fix!
steve771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #9
MHunter1
TiVo Bug Hunter

RunAsDate freeware

Quote:
Does anyone have a more permanent work-around?
I prefer using TiVoPlayList for transfers and found someone here on TCF mention a freeware program called RunAsDate which will run TiVoPlayList as if it were a date before 2/16 while leaving the system clock unaffected.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...php?t=501378#5
MHunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:41 PM   #10
dcahoe
TiVoPlayList Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHunter1 View Post
I prefer using TiVoPlayList for transfers ...
I have released a new version of TiVoPlayList v0.71 which fixes this expired cookie issue. Thanks everyone. Enjoy.
dcahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:46 AM   #11
ggieseke

TiVo posted last night that they WILL be fixing the kernel, including S2s and S3s. They're also patching Desktop as a stopgap measure, probably using morac's method but that's just a guess. See post #34.

http://forums.tivo.com/pe/action/for...ageId=10432560
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:02 AM   #12
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
TiVo posted last night that they WILL be fixing the kernel, including S2s and S3s.
Yay, a software update for my S2 (9.x) and S3 (11.x)! What could go wrong?

Glad to see they are fixing this for all platforms though.

|

Last edited by windracer : 03-06-2013 at 08:13 AM.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:09 AM   #13
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
TiVo posted last night that they WILL be fixing the kernel, including S2s and S3s. They're also patching Desktop as a stopgap measure, probably using morac's method but that's just a guess. See post #34.

Waiting for all the people who said that nasty TiVo would never do this to apologize ......... Of course it's of little significance to most of us since there are already patches or fixes for Desktop, kmttg, pyTivo and TivoPlaylist.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:40 AM   #14
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

Quote:

Maybe they can fix a few other things too:

Series 3 - Allow H.264 channels (Fios just announced they are moving towards them in April). The code is mostly in the tivo, just needs to be connected to the play system. WITHOUT THIS FIX, TIVOHD UNITS WILL START LOSING CABLE CHANNELS AS THEY MOVE TO H.264

Also, change 'Now Playing' to 'My Shows', for a more consistent experience
Also, Add the Tivo addons that allow the ipad tivo app to talk to the season pass manager, now showing, etc, like in a series 4
Tivo (S2-retired, 500gb HD, 2 units)
TivoHD (2tb HD, chip mod, 2 units)
Tivo Premiere (2tb HD)
Tivo Premiere4 (2tb (JMFS) HD)
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #15
morac
Cat God

TiVo has released a patch for TiVo Desktop 2.8.3. I removed my work around lines from curl.conf, applied the patch and checked to see what was different. The patch added the cookie lines back to curl.conf (file now dated 03/01/13).
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #16
mrmega

Morac I wanted to thank you again for the fix

I also wanted to mention that I just saw an email TIVO sent me today informing me about the patch. The first thing I did was search for posts by you to see if you had any comments. I wasn't going to apply their patch without some research. For one thing I was content to just use the curl file edit you provided but I thought I should test the patch in case they force it into the Desktop software as an update. I didn't want TIVO to break your fix :P

I think it's REALLY "funny" and interesting that it took them so long for them to implement and distribute something you fixed immediately
mrmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:22 PM   #17
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmega View Post
I think it's REALLY "funny" and interesting that it took them so long for them to implement and distribute something you fixed immediately
I don't. We're talking about TiVo here. To be fair, they most likely put *their TD fix* through a beta test, which takes time.
It's going to take even more time to fix in the DVR software as that will also have to go through a beta test.

If it hadn't been for notting figuring out the problem and morac for coming up with the fix, TiVo would be lost.

TiVo doesn't want to admit it, but this forum is a valuable resource.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 03-09-2013, 09:37 PM   #18
windracer
joined the 10k club

So does the TiVo "patch" actually use the "sid=abc" wording? Not even a different sid?

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:44 PM   #19
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
So does the TiVo "patch" actually use the "sid=abc" wording? Not even a different sid?
Yep.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:59 PM   #20
mrmega

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Yep.

Along with the royalties idea or the lifetime free Tivo's and stuff mentioned in the other thread I think they should really credit you and notting. I mean seriously, you guys and the other regulars who discuss technical things here really saved a ton of people a ton of heartache. The least they could do is publicly credit you guys, or at least mention that "the forums regulars" or something!

Do I think they will? I do not. But I believe they SHOULD... but then again I am one of those guys who believes people (and companies) should always try to do the right thing.
mrmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:32 AM   #21
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmega View Post
Do I think they will? I do not. But I believe they SHOULD... but then again I am one of those guys who believes people (and companies) should always try to do the right thing.
I agree, but I cut TiVo some slack. You may not be familiar with the past history when TiVo reps used to post here.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 03-11-2013, 12:48 AM   #22
SteveHC1
SteveHC

Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Yep.
Yeah, I and a couple of others told them (literally) to just throw together an installer for "the morac patch" and make it available for downloading (got tired of telling people how to do it manually, I'm sure you did too) while they worked on system updates to push out. I guess they got the message... ;-)

ANYWAY, I had a feeling that they'd manage to turn such a simple thing into a major federal project so I decided to peek into "their" patch's installer with textscan just to satisfy my curiosity. Sure enough, it checks for everything imaginable before finally writing to the curl file by adding EXACTLY what *you* wrote for it LOL. BTW - If I remember correctly (I merely scanned through the code very quickly) it also labels the file as an "official corporate build" and gives TiVo full credit for the patch/installer. It also looked to me like they had contracted out to some other outfit for the development of the original Desktop software (or at least major parts of it). Just my *very* quick observations...
SteveHC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:06 PM   #23
NowPlaying

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcahoe View Post
I have released a new version of TiVoPlayList v0.71 which fixes this expired cookie issue. Thanks everyone. Enjoy.
Thank you!!! I love your software.

NowPlaying is offline   Reply With Quote