TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-26-2013, 11:01 AM   #151
egg5264

egg5264

Morac: Could you please give the steps on how to change this curl setting using the download. Also, how do you backup the current curl setting? I am still new to a lot of the complicated steps. Thanks very much!
egg5264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #152
jackie moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansh View Post
Hold down the Windows key and type R. A "Run" box will pop up.

In the box, put in

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\TiVo Desktop

and click OK. Paste it in exactly as above, with the percent signs and USERPROFILE. File Explorer will open up and one of the files will be called curl.conf.

Double-click on it. When it asks if you want to look online for an app to open it, instead select "more options". From the list that appears, select Notepad. Add the "cookie" line so that it looks like this:
Code:
user-agent = TivoDownloader/0.1
speed-time = 30
verbose
cookie = "sid=abc"
Save the file and restart Tivo Desktop.

Oh, and yes, I can't believe they hardcoded the date, and that it's been there as long as TivoToGo has existed.
Thanks for the help. Worked like a charm! Now I can have my tivo to go work while still being able to use iTunes.
jackie moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:14 PM   #153
seattletwodogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansh View Post
Hold down the Windows key and type R. A "Run" box will pop up.

In the box, put in

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\TiVo Desktop

and click OK. Paste it in exactly as above, with the percent signs and USERPROFILE. File Explorer will open up and one of the files will be called curl.conf.

Double-click on it. When it asks if you want to look online for an app to open it, instead select "more options". From the list that appears, select Notepad. Add the "cookie" line so that it looks like this:
Code:
user-agent = TivoDownloader/0.1
speed-time = 30
verbose
cookie = "sid=abc"
Save the file and restart Tivo Desktop.

Oh, and yes, I can't believe they hardcoded the date, and that it's been there as long as TivoToGo has existed.

alansh-

It worked!!!

Thank you very much for your step by step instructions. I have absolutely no idea whatsoever what I just did and do not quite believe I am seeing the rotating transfer circle as I write this.

I didn't know "Notepad" from a notebook until following this thread and subsequently reading further in an attempt to reduce my anxiety over destroying my laptop in the effort to accomplish what TiVo has failed to do.

Your post gave me the confidence needed to make what for me feels like a quantum leap, though as stated above, without any comprehension of what I did. I marvel at how someone such as yourself arrives at a solution that persons at my level can implement.

Much appreciated. Especially since my unit has a 20 hour HD limit.
seattletwodogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:01 AM   #154
rad1701

Morac - thanks a million! You need to work at TIVO (or someone should try working at TIVO - lol!).
rad1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:03 PM   #155
egg5264

sudden file transfer failure

Thanks MORAC! I had the same problem with the error, " system cannot find the file specified" and was using the procedure of changing the computer's date but other programs did not like the date change. I first tried to add the line to the curl file but I guess since I was running version 2.8.2 it did not work. I then uninstalled, ran the cleaner , and installed 2.8.3 and changed the file with copy and paste and save and it now transfers! We might remind others that the file is a hidden file and you will have to follow steps to unhide hidden files and folders in windows. Thanks again!

egg5264
egg5264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:47 PM   #156
windracer
joined the 10k club

Fix for Galleon

In case anyone is having this problem with the ToGo app in Galleon (I know at least one person is since they filed a bug on SourceForge), I've managed to make a code fix that seems to resolve it.

I can't rebuild the entire Galleon package to create a new version, so you can grab the updated jar file here. Rename that file to galleon.jar and drop it into Galleon's /lib directory (you might want to make a backup of the original and your conf/configure.xml file first). Restart Galleon and your ToGo downloads should work again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:28 AM   #157
holligl

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattletwodogs View Post
alansh-

It worked!!!

Thank you very much for your step by step instructions. I have absolutely no idea whatsoever what I just did and do not quite believe I am seeing the rotating transfer circle as I write this.
Ditto for me. It is truly amazing to me how someone figures this out! Why something works for a long time then quits. Why TiVo offers no solution is equally amazing. Proves the value of these forums.

Thanks again! Files downloading again.
2x Comcast M-card, HDMI & Composite
holligl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #158
tivoluvver

Thank you!

This fixed my situation. This is the first time I have run into this and I was so upset to see this problem going back for five years with enormous numbers of folk having it, wihtout any real fix, until I stumbled upon your post. I have no idea what curl.conf does but the added line fixed it like magic.

FWIW, the only changes I made my end were to install office365 preimum home edition and to join my machine to a domain as part of a server install at home, just in case this gives anyone else any clues.
tivoluvver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:25 PM   #159
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by holligl View Post
Ditto for me. It is truly amazing to me how someone figures this out! Why something works for a long time then quits.
Well, in this case, it was simply due to an embedded "expiration date", if you will, in the code that runs on the TiVos. The so-called Y2K bug was similar, and there are a number of embedded bombs in various codes coming up. For example, in 2036, the UTC timestamp (also known as epoch time) will overflow anywhere it is still maintained on a 32 bit platform. Even the 64 bit timestamp will overflow in another 292 billion years or so. I have freed up my calendar for that week, just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holligl View Post
Why TiVo offers no solution is equally amazing. Proves the value of these forums.
That it does, to be sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoluvver View Post
This fixed my situation. This is the first time I have run into this and I was so upset to see this problem going back for five years with enormous numbers of folk having it
Well, the CODE has been in place since 2005. The problem, or its symptoms if you will, did not arise until the calendar date exceeded the time stamp in the code. No user really knew about it until the symptoms appeared a couple of weeks ago, and the developers who input the time stamp into the code had probably forgotten all about it, assuming the ones directly responsible even work for TiVo any longer.

Quote:
I have no idea what curl.conf does but the added line fixed it like magic.
Curl is a program that automates access to pages on web servers. Basically, it imitates the keystrokes and mouse clicks a human would enter when accessing a web page. In this case, the web page is on the TiVo. The web server built in to the TiVo hosts a secure HTML page which is how programs like TDT, kmttg, Galleon, and pyTivo access the device. Some of those programs, including TDT, use or can use Curl to access the web page.

Quote:
FWIW, the only changes I made my end were to install office365 preimum home edition and to join my machine to a domain as part of a server install at home, just in case this gives anyone else any clues.
'Not related. It started happening once the cookies on the TiVo expired.

Last edited by lrhorer : 03-01-2013 at 01:33 PM.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:07 AM   #160
ntbert

Thank You

Thank you for finding this fix and shareing!!
ntbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:05 PM   #161
malayphred
Underpowered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntbert View Post
Thank you for finding this fix and shareing!!
What he said
malayphred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #162
jlanzy

Alansh, thank you for the fix and more so the simple to understand step by step instructions. I'm not that savvy on computer workings and an earlier fix about backup the file and adding the necessary line just was beyond my understanding of exactly how to do that. I really appreciate the expertise and passion these forums brings to the community at large and helps our home entertainment lives entertaining rather than frustrating.
jlanzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:35 AM   #163
replicantx

morac...

you are indeed the Cat God - All Hail.

Thank you for this fix.
replicantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:43 AM   #164
Corran Horn

It's amazing to me that from last I saw the posted Tivo official 'fix' is to change the time on your computer and then change it back after. Unreal.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #165
rosem119

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
I found a work around for TiVo Desktop. There's a curl.conf file in the TiVo Desktop settings folder (*). This can be used to add parameters passed to curl.

Make a backup of curl.conf and then edit it with a text editor and add the following line to the bottom of the file:

Or just use the attached curl.conf file (extract from zip file).

(*) The folder is located in:
Windows XP = %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\TiVo Desktop
Windows Vista and up = %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\TiVo Desktop
This worked for me. Thanks!
rosem119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:12 PM   #166
tivosupport_gen
TiVo Representative

On February 16th 2013, the TiVoToGo feature of the TiVo Desktop application for Windows PCs no longer allowed transfers from the DVR to the PC. A patch has been developed which will restore the TiVoToGo transfer feature. For more information and instructions on how to apply the patch, please visit our support page http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/196.

If you were having trouble prior to February 16th or having trouble with a different feature of TiVo Desktop, this patch is unrelated and may not be applicable.

This patch only applies to TiVo Desktop 2.8.3 for Windows PCs and older versions of TiVo Desktop and other 3rd party applications and devices such as ReadyDLNA devices, Windows Home Server devices, Roxio Toast/Popcorn for Mac may still be incompatible. Until a software update is made available for TiVo DVRs, these 3rd party devices and software may not allow transfers. The availability date for these software updates is still to be determined.

Thank you,
TiVo
tivosupport_gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #167
unitron

Apparently TiVo's been making some noise about actually fixing this in the TiVo software itself, starting with the S4s and working their way back in time.

Assuming this doesn't really mean fixing the S4s and telling everybody else to just buy a new TiVo, will the TiVo OS update and the official Desktop patch find a way to break each other?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:21 PM   #168
tivosupport_gen
TiVo Representative

On February 16th 2013, the TiVoToGo feature of the TiVo Desktop application for Windows PCs no longer allowed transfers from the DVR to the PC. A patch has been developed which will restore the TiVoToGo transfer feature. For more information and instructions on how to apply the patch, please visit our support page http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/196.

If you were having trouble prior to February 16th or having trouble with a different feature of TiVo Desktop, this patch is unrelated and may not be applicable.

This patch only applies to TiVo Desktop 2.8.3 for Windows PCs and older versions of TiVo Desktop and other 3rd party applications and devices such as ReadyDLNA devices, Windows Home Server devices, Roxio Toast/Popcorn for Mac may still be incompatible. Until a software update is made available for TiVo DVRs, these 3rd party devices and software may not allow transfers. The availability date for these software updates is still to be determined.

Thank you,
TiVo
tivosupport_gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:52 PM   #169
malayphred
Underpowered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivosupport_gen View Post

Thank you,
TiVo
Dear Tivo,

Thank you for your timely response to this seemingly trivial issue.

In actuality, except for the ability to transfer programs, Tivo Desktop functioned perfectly and was a perfect adjunct the several obsolete Tivo boxes taking up valuable storage space in my basement.

Knowing how insensitive you are to anything that we, the insignificant users are effected, I am loath to ask, but will anyway.

First, will there be a Tivo Desktop version 2.8.4 that will allow users, like me, who aren't computer literate (and who, therefore, should be removed from society ), to actually use said application?

Secondly, it is noticed that you have escalated your threats about anyone considering upgrading or, worse, purchasing equipment using Windows 8.

Shall we disappear like the computer illiterates? Or should society, in general, refuse ANY further developments in technology or risk excommunication from Tivo?

It's almost like your entire operation is three guys working in their Dad's garage.
malayphred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:04 PM   #170
morac
Cat God

I removed my work around and installed the patch. The patch didn't change any files, it simply re-applied my work around.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:32 PM   #171
unitron

Quote:
I removed my work around and installed the patch. The patch didn't change any files, it simply re-applied my work around.
Then send TiVo a bill for royalties.

I'm absolutely serious.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:40 PM   #172
MHunter1
TiVo Bug Hunter

Too little, too late

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivosupport_gen View Post
A patch has been developed which will restore the TiVoToGo transfer feature
TCF users came up with this same patch within days and you're just getting around to it now 3 weeks later? And it only fixes TD software, not the DVR itself. When a critical flaw like this occurs I expect TiVo employees to be called in from vacation and burn the midnight oil until it is fixed, not offer a patch users themselves came up with.
MHunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:47 PM   #173
aloha_bill

i applied patch, it now allows transfers but while performing a transfer
i get failed msg "the system cannot find the file specified"
aloha_bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #174
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Then send TiVo a bill for royalties.

I'm absolutely serious.
Or free lifetime service on all subsequent TiVo models.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #175
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
That's funny. I didn't remove your work around and installed the patch. I didn't notice any difference.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:15 AM   #176
Ick_the_TivoDude

morac - I just want to add my thanks to you for sharing a simple solution to this problem. I modified the curl file and my transfers are working again.
Ick_the_TivoDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:29 PM   #177
rbondy

but for Mac users

But for Mac users its still a bust, right? I tried setting clock back, changing to sid=123, etc and still get a message saying Unable to Get Playlist.

Issue seems to be tied to a certain port because when I open Tivo in a browser using local http: IP on my network I get a splash page but when I try https: IP it fails (with the correct username/password)

I notice that kmttg tries to access Tivo's playlist via https so may that account for failure?
rbondy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:45 PM   #178
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbondy View Post
Issue seems to be tied to a certain port because when I open Tivo in a browser using local http: IP on my network I get a splash page but when I try https: IP it fails (with the correct username/password)

I notice that kmttg tries to access Tivo's playlist via https so may that account for failure?
Try rebooting the TiVo. I've seen problems in the past where, for whatever reason, the SSL portion of the TiVo web server stops responding. You should be able to connect to https with username 'tivo' and your MAK as the password. If that's not working, something's messed up on the box.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:24 AM   #179
nrnoble

Is there a known reason why a random date of Feb 16, 2013 is the cause?

Its not a typical date bug like the end of year or invalid date. Its just a typical day in the middle of month. Did they leave in some debug code years ago and now its executing the debug code on that date and later?
Tivo user since 1999.

Last edited by nrnoble : 03-14-2013 at 07:32 AM.
nrnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:33 AM   #180
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrnoble View Post
Is there a known reason why a random date of Feb 16, 2013 is the cause?
Code:
Set-Cookie: sid=%s; path=/; expires="Saturday, 16-Feb-2013 00:00:00 GMT";
That's the string, from tivoapp, that's used to generate the cookie header. As to why that date, I have no idea. I assume it was just X years out (at least 8; maybe 10?) from whenever the code was written. Or, who knows? Maybe it's somebody's birthday.

Sadly, no, it's not debug code. The TiVo was always sending out that date (proven from old logs). We just didn't notice.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote