TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-27-2013, 04:50 PM   #1
MHunter1
TiVo Bug Hunter

First-run episode not recorded because it already aired?

When I checked my To Do list on the evening of February 26 it confirmed that first-run episodes of "Jeselnik Offensive" (Comedy Central) and "Robot Combat League" (SyFy) would be recorded, but when I woke up on February 27 and noticed they hadn't recorded I checked the To Do list history and was surprised to see "this episode was not recorded because the same episode appeared in the My Shows list within 28 days of this broadcast". These were both first-run episodes, so that's impossible! Did this happen to anyone else?
MHunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
sharkster

I have an SP on Jeselnik and mine recorded as it should have. I have no clue why you got that message. Good thing they are on cable so you can find another airing.

My problem is usually the opposite - it schedules tons of cable show RERUNS to record even though they clearly don't say they are new. I wish whoever screws that up would fix it one day.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:30 PM   #3
MHunter1
TiVo Bug Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
it schedules tons of RERUNS even though they clearly don't say they are new
I too noticed all those reruns were checkmarked even though my SP is set to record the First-Run episode only, so I unchecked (canceled) all but the first-run time slot. And for some reason, the one episode I kept checkmarked didn't record.

I wonder if unchecking the reruns somehow confused the TiVo into thinking I didn't want any airings of the episode that premiered at 10:30pm on 2/26.

It wouldn't be the first inexplicable behavior I've noticed since TiVo installed the Fall software update v20.2.2.1 on December 5.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:27 PM   #4
sharkster

I'm with you on 'inexplicable behavior since the Fall update'. I've had numerous weird things happen with both of my Premieres.

One of them I thought something was wrong with the Tivo (btw, I replaced my old Tivos with Premieres just under a year ago) was that each day when I turned on that TV it was stuck with not recognizing many (always different ones) channels. All I had to do was restart the Tivo and all was fine until the next day.

Meanwhile, and I hope I am not jinxing anything, I ended up replacing that TV and since then no problem. weird - I was convinced the problem was the Tivo and not my cable or my TV but so far so good.

All the other weird little glitchy problems I've had I am convinced are Tivo problems since those updates.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:46 PM   #5
mr.unnatural

SyFy advertises shows as being original programming when, in fact, they originally aired on Canadian TV. If the original air date listed in the guide data pre-dates the date you're trying to record the show and you have the season pass to record only new shows, chances are it won't record because the Tivo thinks it's a rerun, which it really is. It's not the Tivo's fault since it's doing exactly what you told it to.

When I pull up a show from the guide in Windows Media Center, it displays the original air date in the program description. Take a look at SyFy's Monday primetime lineup and you'll find that Being Human is the only new show listed. Both Continuum and Lost Girl are older shows and are listed as repeats, even though they're airing for the first time on SyFy.

As for The Jeselnik Offensive and Robot Combat League, they do appear to be first-run shows so it's a mystery why they didn't get recorded.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #6
MHunter1
TiVo Bug Hunter

Another first-run episode not recorded

It happened again. Although my Season Pass to SyFy's "Face Off" is set to record only the first-run (9pm) episode each Tuesday, my To Do list said the 11pm repeat was also going to be recorded, so I canceled the 11pm repeat, making sure the 9pm first-run airing was still checkmarked.

When I woke up this morning, the first-run 9pm episode "was not recorded because the same episode appeared in the My Shows list within 28 days of this broadcast".

For some reason, TiVo is not recording the first-run episode after I manually cancel the repeats that should have never been scheduled in the first place.

Although I am infuriated the TiVo software and/or guide data is causing this problem, as a workaround for next time I'm going to manually select the first-run episode to record after canceling the repeats so it "locks in" the time slot.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:20 PM   #7
Snake Plissken

It could be that you have it scheduled to record in the future. I'm just guessing based on your message.
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:20 AM   #8
mr.unnatural

Next time don't delete the repeats from the schedule and see what happens. I've made changes to my recording schedule and the list of upcoming episodes didn't update right away so there were still checkmarks on shows that I had deleted and some missing from shows I had scheduled. If you do make such changes, go back into the To Do List after an hour or two and doublecheck the lineup to make sure it's correct. You may find shows missing that you thought were still there.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote