TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-20-2013, 08:50 AM   #1
hybucket

Watching OnDemand while recording two programs...

Maybe a silly question but...I was watching an OnDemand program when I get a message saying it must close the OnDemand screen to record a program (I was already recording one program). I know you can watch a pre-recorded show while recording two, but does this not apply to OnDemand? Is it the same with Netflix?
hybucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:02 AM   #2
moyekj

OnDemand uses a tuner. Netflix does not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:19 PM   #3
mattack

To be more clear, On Demand is LITERALLY the exact same as tuning a channel on live TV. They are simply "making" a channel for you live.

The one thing I have wondered about is that it gives me a VERY strange time to "finish" the watching of On Demand. Like lets say I have enough padding overlaps to use all 4 tuners (NOT uncommon), and if I'm watching On Demand at the same time I get the warning message.. But the conflict will be gone in ~2 minutes usually, but it asks me if I want to finish watching at 1:30AM or something like that.. many hours in the future.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:12 PM   #4
Bigg

Yup, it's a regular 256QAM. Why can't it be smart enough to just knock the padding off of something and re-schedule some tuners to get you through the crunch?
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:06 PM   #5
mattack

I personally NEVER want anything to "knock the padding off of something". I want the DVR-ness to be the most important part, and though I appreciate and use On Demand, it is a lesser priority.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:30 AM   #6
Bigg

They could at least give you an option, or maybe even a pop-up in real time. Most users would probably kill padding, as it's not that big of a deal.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:33 PM   #7
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
They could at least give you an option, or maybe even a pop-up in real time. Most users would probably kill padding, as it's not that big of a deal.
Then why pad in the first place?
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:45 PM   #8
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
To be more clear, On Demand is LITERALLY the exact same as tuning a channel on live TV. They are simply "making" a channel for you live.

The one thing I have wondered about is that it gives me a VERY strange time to "finish" the watching of On Demand. Like lets say I have enough padding overlaps to use all 4 tuners (NOT uncommon), and if I'm watching On Demand at the same time I get the warning message.. But the conflict will be gone in ~2 minutes usually, but it asks me if I want to finish watching at 1:30AM or something like that.. many hours in the future.
what if you only have a two tuner model?
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:23 PM   #9
Digital Man

Quote:

Same thing happened to me when I was watching Xfinity On Demand in the evening. I think all 4 tuners filled up probably due to a few minute overlaps. However, it told me the conflict was at 2:30am!

DM
Digital Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:49 PM   #10
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Then why pad in the first place?
Maybe because the other 99% of the time it would still pad. I've always had at least one series link or Season Pass that wasn't set up to pad, it's not like that detracted from the nicety of having other ones pad.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:22 PM   #11
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
Maybe because the other 99% of the time it would still pad. I've always had at least one series link or Season Pass that wasn't set up to pad, it's not like that detracted from the nicety of having other ones pad.
I don't need to pad most of my shows, so I only have a small percentage of shows with padding. But if I miss a little bit of a show, I will not watch it. I'll get it from Amazon, Vudu or Xbox Live rather than miss part of it.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:33 PM   #12
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I don't need to pad most of my shows, so I only have a small percentage of shows with padding. But if I miss a little bit of a show, I will not watch it. I'll get it from Amazon, Vudu or Xbox Live rather than miss part of it.
Well, for the other 99% of the population who isn't going to freak out over not padding something, it would be nice to have that as an option.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:22 PM   #13
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post
what if you only have a two tuner model?
I'm not sure exactly what you're asking.. Do you think the Tivo's software is doing a bad calculation and acting AS IF I only had 2 tuners?
Old 02-27-2013, 04:43 PM   #14
Mike-Wolf

Quote:
I'm not sure exactly what you're asking.. Do you think the Tivo's software is doing a bad calculation and acting AS IF I only had 2 tuners?
No.

I think he means what would be the behavor if this issue was occurring on a two tuner model instead of a four tuner model.
Mike-Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote