TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-26-2013, 03:01 PM   #4861
christheman

I just loaded and tried the update. Good to see you were able to get the IMDB part in, it makes a big difference and opens things up.

One other thing I had thought about, under the GUIDE sub-tab: Would there be any way to allow the user the option to just scroll through the entire list of show entries, without requiring them to use the pulldown menu, or are there too many entries to poll this information in one shot?
christheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:27 PM   #4862
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by christheman View Post
One other thing I had thought about, under the GUIDE sub-tab: Would there be any way to allow the user the option to just scroll through the entire list of show entries, without requiring them to use the pulldown menu, or are there too many entries to poll this information in one shot?
It's intentionally structured to be 12 hours of data for 1 channel at a time to minimize the overhead time of collecting the data. Would be way too slow to try and do that for all channels at a time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:08 PM   #4863
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Dumb speed question since I'm using kmttg this week to off-load the shows from my S3 OLED to replace the drives.

I'm only getting 14 Mbps type speeds, so HD items are effectively transferring at real time, am I right in thinking this is because the bottleneck is the S3 itself?
Old 02-26-2013, 04:13 PM   #4864
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
I'm only getting 14 Mbps type speeds, so HD items are effectively transferring at real time, am I right in thinking this is because the bottleneck is the S3 itself?
Yes.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:30 PM   #4865
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
* Added "q" keyboard shortcut that by default will perform an imdb web query on currently selected title in any table listing shows.
I've tried this. I see the web query address appear in kmttg's bottom pane. But it doesn't open a web page or even switch to my default browser. Should it? I'm on a Mac OS X 10.8.2 system, by the way.

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:39 PM   #4866
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
I've tried this. I see the web query address appear in kmttg's bottom pane. But it doesn't open a web page or even switch to my default browser. Should it? I'm on a Mac OS X 10.8.2 system, by the way.
Theoretically, yes, but I don't have a Mac to test on. Looking at code for Mac it tries to execute the following system call:
open "<url>"

So for opening this thread for example it would be:
open "http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=35"

For linux platform by default it will call an actual browser by name if available based on list of popular browsers for linux, but there's also linux only option in kmttg config Visual tab to specify what to use for browser executable. Sounds like Mac may benefit from having that option available as well since the above apparently doesn't work.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:54 PM   #4867
ccrider2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Dumb speed question since I'm using kmttg this week to off-load the shows from my S3 OLED to replace the drives.

If I change both tuners to a channel I don't get, My speed jumps up to about 20. (takes a burden off the CPU...not having to record the 2 buffers while transferring) If that don't help, try rebooting the TiVo...sometimes helps.

Good Luck,
Cheers

Last edited by ccrider2 : 02-26-2013 at 04:59 PM.
ccrider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:21 PM   #4868
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrider2 View Post
If I change both tuners to a channel I don't get, My speed jumps up to about 20. (takes a burden off the CPU...not having to record the 2 buffers while transferring) If that don't help, try rebooting the TiVo...sometimes helps.

Good Luck,
Cheers
I can wait it out, just wanted to be sure I didn't have another issue.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:32 PM   #4869
moyekj

v0p9n bug fix release

Quick bug fix version v0p9n just released to fix a couple of issues:

* Fix to auto transfers mode to prevent double processing for mind-enabled series 3 units when retrieving NPL.
* Web browser call on Mac platform now uses same method as for Linux and the web browser executable can be explicitly set under "Visual" tab option "web browser binary".

Old 02-26-2013, 10:26 PM   #4870
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
* Web browser call on Mac platform now uses same method as for Linux and the web browser executable can be explicitly set under "Visual" tab option "web browser binary".
Thank you very much!

I downloaded and am trying the new version. What is the syntax for entering this? I have tried:

/Applications/Safari.app
\Applications\Safari.app
Macintosh HD:Applications:Safari.app
file://localhost/Applications/Safari.app

and all sorts of other variations... and none seem to work.

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Old 02-26-2013, 10:37 PM   #4871
moyekj

Quote:
Thank you very much!

I downloaded and am trying the new version. What is the syntax for entering this? I have tried:

/Applications/Safari.app
\Applications\Safari.app
Macintosh HD:Applications:Safari.app
file://localhost/Applications/Safari.app

and all sorts of other variations... and none seem to work.
Perhaps try something as in this thread:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5...to-open-safari

/usr/bin/open -a Safari

According to that thread what I had in place in last release should have worked as well:
open <url>

If that still doesn't work then perhaps try:
sh -c /usr/bin/open -a Safari

Or it could be as simple as:
Safari

Hopefully one of those will work...

Last edited by moyekj : 02-26-2013 at 10:48 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:54 PM   #4872
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but none of those worked.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:59 PM   #4873
moyekj

Quote:
Go to the command line and try things from there. In Linux it's trivial. As long as the executable is somewhere in your PATH you can run without specifying full path. So for example on my Linux box I just put "firefox". I don't know anything about Mac OS to help you further but maybe someone else more familiar with Mac can help out.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:26 AM   #4874
christheman

Quote:
Here is something I found in a quick search. I am including this as it appears to offer something new and is dated fairly recently from October 20, 2012:
http://alvinalexander.com/java/mac-j...wser-osascript

In particular, I see this bit being used:
Code:
String[] args = { "osascript", "-e", "open location \"" + url + "\"" };
the backslash escape characters and syntax double quotes removed might look something like:
Code:
open location {url}
The use of the word "location" as a command line argument seems to not have been mentioned yet. Give that a try.

Also, moyekj might want to verify use of "osascript" and "-e" as used in this particular situation.

EDIT: another [open location "url"] example:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=916578

Last edited by christheman : 02-27-2013 at 12:53 AM.
christheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:32 AM   #4875
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Okay. I will try.
Code:
open /Applications/Safari.app
...works in Terminal.

But not in KMTTG.

Hopefully other Mac users out there can try.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:49 AM   #4876
moyekj

Does this work from Terminal?
open "http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=35"

If so try just "open" as the command in kmttg. The way it's being called there can't be any spaces in the executable name called from kmttg.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:36 AM   #4877
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Ha! Yes! That did it. Simply typing "open" under "Visual" tab option "web browser binary" did the trick!

Old 02-27-2013, 05:00 AM   #4878
howards

can't find bodyId

kmttg vop9n (and earlier versions) are giving me a message on one of my two Series 2 Tivos that says:

-----------
Can't determine bodyId for TiVo: <name redacted>
RemoteInit - (IP=middlemind.tivo.com, port=443): null
-----------

Still, it seems to work fine. Is this something that should concern me, and is there an easy fix?

If the number that can't be found is the device number starting with 649 for a series 2, I checked that my account on tivo.com shows it, but I don't know anything about middlemind.tivo.com.
howards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:07 AM   #4879
moyekj

Quote:
Ha! Yes! That did it. Simply typing "open" under "Visual" tab option "web browser binary" did the trick!
Strange that the original implementation in last release didn't work for you then because it did just that... (though I think I had quotes around url which may have screwed it up).

Old 02-27-2013, 08:41 AM   #4880
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by howards View Post
kmttg vop9n (and earlier versions) are giving me a message on one of my two Series 2 Tivos that says:

-----------
Can't determine bodyId for TiVo: <name redacted>
RemoteInit - (IP=middlemind.tivo.com, port=443): null
-----------

Still, it seems to work fine. Is this something that should concern me, and is there an easy fix?

If the number that can't be found is the device number starting with 649 for a series 2, I checked that my account on tivo.com shows it, but I don't know anything about middlemind.tivo.com.
kmttg needs the TSN # to determine if machine is mind enabled, and if it can't get the TSN from Bonjour then it tries to get it from middlemind.tivo.com if you have TiVo username & password specified. If you login to this page do you see your S2 TiVo listed as one of the options?
https://www3.tivo.com/tivo-tco/go.do?def=tco.todo.page
If not then that's probably why.

I'm not sure if S2 TiVos used Bonjour to advertise themselves or not. Perhaps if you let kmttg use TiVo Beacon to detect TiVos for a few minutes your S2 TSN should be found: Configure-Tivos-Detect with TiVo Beacon instead of Bonjour (and make sure "Look for Tivos on network" is enabled). Once the TSN is found it's saved for next session so then those error messages should go away.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #4881
cO8W6zlv

My Netgear ReadyNAS started failing to archive TiVo shows earlier this month. It will download 1KB TiVo and .nfo files then fail. I deleted these and retried. Now the ReadyNAS does not "see" the files at all.

I thought I read somewhere that TiVo supports ReadyNAS.
cO8W6zlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:59 AM   #4882
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Strange that the original implementation in last release didn't work for you then because it did just that... (though I think I had quotes around url which may have screwed it up).
Well it works now and I am happy. I also note that it works with whatever your default browser is set to. I just changed my default browser setting to Chrome and tried the "q" shortcut in KMTTG and sure enough, it now opens the IMDB lookup in Chrome. As it should. Nice! So now all Mac users of KMTTG need to know is, to type "open" (without the quotes) into Visual -> Web Browser Binary in order to get this feature to work. Or can this simply be hard-coded?

Old 02-27-2013, 11:52 AM   #4883
moyekj

Quote:
Well it works now and I am happy. I also note that it works with whatever your default browser is set to. I just changed my default browser setting to Chrome and tried the "q" shortcut in KMTTG and sure enough, it now opens the IMDB lookup in Chrome. As it should. Nice! So now all Mac users of KMTTG need to know is, to type "open" (without the quotes) into Visual -> Web Browser Binary in order to get this feature to work. Or can this simply be hard-coded?
Yes I'm going to revert back to hard coding for Mac platform for next release now that we found something that works.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:40 PM   #4884
mlippert

Quote:
Originally Posted by cO8W6zlv View Post
My Netgear ReadyNAS started failing to archive TiVo shows earlier this month. It will download 1KB TiVo and .nfo files then fail. I deleted these and retried. Now the ReadyNAS does not "see" the files at all.

Well, I'm not sure this is the right thread for this question. And I think it might be better said that ReadyNAS supports TiVo rather than the other way around .

The problem on the ReadyNAS (I'm fairly sure) is the expired cookie issue that has been discussed in numerous other threads w/ regards to problems downloading in Tivo Desktop, kmttg and pyTivo. People on the TCF have figured out how to fix those 3 applications.

I am (maybe naively) expecting that eventually (maybe months) TiVo will have an update to the software on the TiVo (hopefully for both the S3s and the Premieres) that fixes the issue.

In the meantime perhaps checking the Netgear ReadyNAS forums (1 thread on topic)?

I have a ReadyNAS myself, but I've been using kmttg to download shows from my Tivo, and recently pyTivo to play shows from my ReadyNAS media share on the Tivo, so I haven't looking into fixing the ReadyNAS connection.

Mike
mlippert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:46 PM   #4885
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlippert View Post
I am (maybe naively) expecting that eventually (maybe months) TiVo will have an update to the software on the TiVo (hopefully for both the S3s and the Premieres) that fixes the issue.
The most recent terrible official comment from TiVo: "But since our solution is expected to be on the TiVo Desktop PC client and not the DVR itself, the fix should resolve the transfer issue for any platform that works with TiVo Desktop." Um, no, TiVo, you can't fix it in TD, because it's not broken there. You can only work around it in TD. Hence the term "workaround".

Old 02-27-2013, 02:54 PM   #4886
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Geez. Who's minding the store over there? Hopefully they'll read here and get the real fix -- the fine folks here are doing their jobs for them!

Old 02-27-2013, 02:55 PM   #4887
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
The most recent terrible official comment from TiVo: "But since our solution is expected to be on the TiVo Desktop PC client and not the DVR itself, the fix should resolve the transfer issue for any platform that works with TiVo Desktop." Um, no, TiVo, you can't fix it in TD, because it's not broken there. You can only work around it in TD. Hence the term "workaround".
If they do that, can notting and morac sue for copyright infringement?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:59 PM   #4888
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by cO8W6zlv View Post

Even though we know what the workaround is, I suggest you contact Netgear (and possibly point them to the info describing the underlying problem). Since you have an official product you bought, you should try to get support for it, and who knows, maybe they'll prod Tivo.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #4889
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
If they do that, can notting and morac sue for copyright infringement?
You're assuming they'd use the same workaround... I'm pointing out that, no matter what they do in TD, it is by its nature a workaround, since the bug is on the TiVo side.

Anyway, no, it's too trivial to be copyrightable.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:10 PM   #4890
windracer
joined the 10k club

I'm trying to figure out if I can fix the ToGo code in Galleon in a similar manner to work around the cookie issue. Galleon is using the Apache httpclient libraries in java. I thought it might be as easy as adding:

get.setRequestHeader("Cookie", "sid=abc");

before the execute method, but that doesn't seem to work.

moyekj, I don't know the back-end details of what you're doing in kmttg, obviously, but since it's in java could you give me a hint as to how you implemented your fix so maybe I can apply that to Galleon's code?

Thanks!

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote