TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-25-2013, 02:29 PM   #1
gweempose

A question about two TiVos in the same room?

I have a 2-tuner Premiere and an S3 that will be hooked up to two different TVs in the same room. I am wondering if I have both TiVos tuned to the same channel if the sound will have an echo, since the buffer delay may be slightly different between the two units. Does anyone have any experience in this area?
(3) Minis

Last edited by gweempose : 02-25-2013 at 05:18 PM.
gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:19 PM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

You can make sure it is at the end of the buffer and they will be in sync. I've done this with my three boxes before, and the audio from the three locations were in sync.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:05 PM   #3
gweempose

Cool. So it sounds like my fears were unwarranted. I wasn't certain if every TiVo had the exact same delay. If they were even a quarter second apart, the audio would sound funky.
(3) Minis

Old 02-25-2013, 04:07 PM   #4
SNJpage1

Can I ask why you feed the two TV's in the same room from different Tivo's? Wouldn't it be better to run the Tivos thru a switching matrix that would sent the output of either Tivo to either of the TV's?
Old 02-25-2013, 05:16 PM   #5
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNJpage1 View Post
Can I ask why you feed the two TV's in the same room from different Tivo's? Wouldn't it be better to run the Tivos thru a switching matrix that would sent the output of either Tivo to either of the TV's?
Can you elaborate on this?

I currently have a 2-tuner Premier hooked up to the main TV in my basement. I also have an S3 in a different part of my basement which feeds a TV in my workout room. I plan on installing a third TV above the fireplace in my basement. This is located pretty close to my S3, so it would be easy to run a video feed from it to the new TV. If there is a setup that offers more flexibility and can be easily achieved using my existing Cat 5e wiring, I'm all ears.
(3) Minis

Old 02-25-2013, 06:41 PM   #6
SNJpage1

There are adapters that allow you to run HDMI over cat5.

http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Extender-...dmi+over+cat5e

A matrix switch is just a souped up switcher that allows more combinations of inputs to outputs.

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Matr...rix+switch+4x2
Old 02-25-2013, 10:22 PM   #7
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNJpage1 View Post
There are adapters that allow you to run HDMI over cat5.

http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Extender-...dmi+over+cat5e

A matrix switch is just a souped up switcher that allows more combinations of inputs to outputs.

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Matr...rix+switch+4x2
That stuff seems pretty cool, but how would I benefit from it considering the fact that I already have dedicated TiVos at every viewing location?
(3) Minis

Old 02-26-2013, 12:21 AM   #8
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
You can make sure it is at the end of the buffer and they will be in sync. I've done this with my three boxes before, and the audio from the three locations were in sync.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
Cool. So it sounds like my fears were unwarranted. I wasn't certain if every TiVo had the exact same delay. If they were even a quarter second apart, the audio would sound funky.
My experience is different. I have a Tivo HD in the bedroom and a Premiere on the living room (both OTA) and they are not in sync.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:12 AM   #9
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
My experience is different. I have a Tivo HD in the bedroom and a Premiere on the living room (both OTA) and they are not in sync.
I'm not saying they will always be in sync initially, but at least with my Premieres, I can go to the the end of the buffer and they will be either in sync or close. Then it's just a matter of manually getting them in sync if they aren't. But this not really the way to do it unless you never plan on skipping any commercials. The Matrix switch makes the most sense so you can feed the same thing to multiple TVs
Old 02-26-2013, 03:31 PM   #10
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Quote:
I'm not saying they will always be in sync initially, but at least with my Premieres, I can go to the the end of the buffer and they will be either in sync or close.
Please choose one answer.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:42 PM   #11
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Even if you have two TiVos of the same model, the audio can still be out of sync if you don't have two of the same model TV. Many modern TV sets will delay the audio to correspond to the video processing going on in the set. This delay will vary from model to model.

I used to have one TiVo Series 3 connected to two TVs. One was connected via HDMI and the other via component. The HDMI set was always a fraction of a second behind the component TV. My solution to that problem was to connect the digital audio output from the HDMI TV to a digital to analog adapter and run that into the component TV, thereby assuring both sets had synced audio. But this meant the main (HDMI) TV had to be on in order for the secondary (component) TV to get any sound. Most of the time this was not a problem.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:05 PM   #12
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Please choose one answer.
If I go to the end of the buffer, sometimes they will be in sync, sometimes not. If not then you just manually sync them. Which is quick and easy and only takes a few seconds. This has always been the case for me since I got my first TiVos in 2001.

But in using a TiVo I would want to be able to skip commericals. So if I wanted to seriously watch the same content on multiple screens, i would run the output of one TiVo to multiple sets. Since I would not be able to go very long without skipping, pausing, rewinding etc.

For me, typically when I have snyced my three TVs, it's been when a Redskins game is on and I'm doing other things and going room to room. But this is only for a short period of time for me since I can't stand watching comericals.