TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2013, 06:16 PM   #31
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force
 
dianebrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: boston'ish
Posts: 7,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Ah well, at least they still have the best logo.
I dunno.. never really impressed me...


Attached Images
File Type: png 338px-1975_nbc_logo-svg.png (5.1 KB, 484 views)
__________________
"There is a distinct difference between having an open mind and having a hole in your head from which your brain leaks out."
dianebrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:27 PM   #32
Lee 2.0
Hoopy frood
 
Lee 2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lazlo's Basement
Posts: 434
I thought I was the only person in the entire world who watched Journeyman. Can't wait for Gray's Anatomy to end so Kevin McKidd can find a decent part.
Lee 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:51 PM   #33
mattack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: sunnyvale
Posts: 17,211
They've cancelled so many shows, that they seem like they won't have anything else to air!
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:00 PM   #34
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 6,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmowry View Post
It's just a matter of time before they cancel NBC.
Nah. They will just become a T-shirt company.
__________________
A passing grade? Like a C? Why don't I just get pregnant at a bus station!
aadam101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:02 PM   #35
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 6,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
I listen to a TV podcast.

Which podcast? I'm looking for a new one.
__________________
A passing grade? Like a C? Why don't I just get pregnant at a bus station!
aadam101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:21 AM   #36
cmontyburns
Excellent.
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 9,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
Which podcast? I'm looking for a new one.
Hoffer may be referring to Firewall & Iceberg (iTunes link), by Dan Fienberg and Alan Sepinwall of Hitfix.com. Thought I would mention it even if that's not the one Hoffer means, because I'd recommend it to anyone who likes insightful TV criticism and talk. You do need to have a high tolerance for lame patter and poor sound quality, but the core of the podcast is really good.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:25 AM   #37
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 34,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
I dunno.. never really impressed me...

When I see that, it always reminds of the SNL Weekend Update bit where Chevy Chase makes fun of that logo when it was brand new. I'm sure that clip exists somewhere on the web.
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:28 AM   #38
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 34,757
I'm probably totally wrong, but I'll throw this out there. I know everyone is saying shows like Parenthood or Go On will likely be back even though the rating suck, just because they need SOMETHING to show. But why? If I'm NBC, I'm sacking ALL of them. If I had to I'd start with The Voice, maybe Revolution if the ratings hold up after the hiatus and everything else new. Why keep retreading the same old shows that haven't worked ratings wise? To me, it really epitomizes what losers they are. You're showing the audience that you have no clue, and you continue to have no clue. At least if you put a bunch of new stuff out there, MAYBE something will work out. Right now, what you have isn't.
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:03 AM   #39
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils
 
DevdogAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 37,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I'm probably totally wrong, but I'll throw this out there. I know everyone is saying shows like Parenthood or Go On will likely be back even though the rating suck, just because they need SOMETHING to show. But why? If I'm NBC, I'm sacking ALL of them. If I had to I'd start with The Voice, maybe Revolution if the ratings hold up after the hiatus and everything else new. Why keep retreading the same old shows that haven't worked ratings wise? To me, it really epitomizes what losers they are. You're showing the audience that you have no clue, and you continue to have no clue. At least if you put a bunch of new stuff out there, MAYBE something will work out. Right now, what you have isn't.
Because you run promos for new shows during the returning shows. It's hard enough to draw viewers to new shows when you have a solid base of viewers watching your existing shows. But if you don't have any built-in viewers because you're not bringing back any shows, you are basically guaranteeing that nobody will watch your new shows because they won't know about them.
__________________
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani
DevdogAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:05 AM   #40
cmontyburns
Excellent.
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 9,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I'm probably totally wrong, but I'll throw this out there. I know everyone is saying shows like Parenthood or Go On will likely be back even though the rating suck, just because they need SOMETHING to show. But why? If I'm NBC, I'm sacking ALL of them. If I had to I'd start with The Voice, maybe Revolution if the ratings hold up after the hiatus and everything else new. Why keep retreading the same old shows that haven't worked ratings wise? To me, it really epitomizes what losers they are. You're showing the audience that you have no clue, and you continue to have no clue. At least if you put a bunch of new stuff out there, MAYBE something will work out. Right now, what you have isn't.
I think the idea is that this is what a network that was having more success would do. NBC has so much trouble all over its lineup that they'd have no programming if they sacked everything that didn't work all at once. It would be way too expensive to re-launch every single evening they program. And really, not every show needs to be a hit. Just one solid performer every evening (Revolution was in that category last fall), and a hit here or there (The Voice is one, as long as NBC doesn't wear it out) can buoy the whole lineup. Go On drew decent ratings behind The Voice, for example.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:20 AM   #41
WhiskeyTango
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I'm probably totally wrong, but I'll throw this out there. I know everyone is saying shows like Parenthood or Go On will likely be back even though the rating suck, just because they need SOMETHING to show. But why? If I'm NBC, I'm sacking ALL of them. If I had to I'd start with The Voice, maybe Revolution if the ratings hold up after the hiatus and everything else new. Why keep retreading the same old shows that haven't worked ratings wise? To me, it really epitomizes what losers they are. You're showing the audience that you have no clue, and you continue to have no clue. At least if you put a bunch of new stuff out there, MAYBE something will work out. Right now, what you have isn't.
So what happens if you cancel everything and none of the new shows stick? At least with a couple of holdovers, you know what you'll get week after week even if it isn't very good. You don't put all your eggs in one basket.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:04 AM   #42
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 34,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Because you run promos for new shows during the returning shows. It's hard enough to draw viewers to new shows when you have a solid base of viewers watching your existing shows. But if you don't have any built-in viewers because you're not bringing back any shows, you are basically guaranteeing that nobody will watch your new shows because they won't know about them.
So if you are showing promos on shows that nobody is watching, how is that helping things? They have only two shows where advertising during the shows is going to matter, and that's The Voice and SNF. The rest of the shows, it's like advertising in a dark tunnel. This is a network that has to REALLY look outside the box. They REALLY need to advertise heavily on social media and other places. They should also buy as much time during the hit cable shows, even on ones not owned by Comcast.
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #43
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 34,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
I think the idea is that this is what a network that was having more success would do. NBC has so much trouble all over its lineup that they'd have no programming if they sacked everything that didn't work all at once. It would be way too expensive to re-launch every single evening they program. And really, not every show needs to be a hit. Just one solid performer every evening (Revolution was in that category last fall), and a hit here or there (The Voice is one, as long as NBC doesn't wear it out) can buoy the whole lineup. Go On drew decent ratings behind The Voice, for example.
This is true, but, the shows they bring back, it just makes them look like horrible losers. People think, two things....is this the best they got, and, is that show still on? And they move on. And it's not like shows like Parenthood hasn't been given a chance. I'm a fan of Parenthood, it's one of my favorites, as was Chuck, another show I'm glad they stuck with, but not sure it deserved to be saved. This network REALLY needs a reboot. And they have to show people that they've rebooted. Big advertising campaign that they are the NEW NBC. They can use some old classic hits as a bumper in their ads, and then say....in the spirit of the NBC we all loved, here's the NEW NBC. And, to me, the target should be Fox. They need desperately to go after a younger crowd.

I know it's about making money, but you have to have some long term vision for the future of the company and not look at short term profits by throwing crap on TV because it's cheap. It's a gamble, what do they have to lose at this point?
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:14 AM   #44
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 34,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
So what happens if you cancel everything and none of the new shows stick? At least with a couple of holdovers, you know what you'll get week after week even if it isn't very good. You don't put all your eggs in one basket.
You know that you have no success week after week. It's like the baseball team that plays the mediocre 2B who is never going to be very good, instead of making the bold mood and signing the young free agent with potential. Yeah, the free agent might be a bust, but you already know the guy you have now IS a bust.
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:24 AM   #45
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy
 
jsmeeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Dallas
Posts: 88,534
or, like being stuck with Tony Romo



__________________
Jeff
Proud to use my TiVo improperly
President of the TiVoShanan Fan Club


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #46
WhiskeyTango
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
You know that you have no success week after week. It's like the baseball team that plays the mediocre 2B who is never going to be very good, instead of making the bold mood and signing the young free agent with potential. Yeah, the free agent might be a bust, but you already know the guy you have now IS a bust.
False analogy. It's one thing if you are replacing one or two "players". Getting rid of your entire team and hoping you can find an entire new one is a different story. It doesn't make sense to take such a risk. It would be like replacing an entire MLB roster with the AAA team.

Last edited by WhiskeyTango : 02-26-2013 at 11:43 AM.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:48 AM   #47
sharkster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NV
Posts: 2,429
Seems like forever since the NBC heyday.

I just hope 'The New Normal', 'Go On', and 'Whitney' (in that order from fav down) don't get the ax. Well, ok - I would be fine with Whitney going, and I could survive with Go On getting axed. But I love The New Normal. I like 1600 Penn also, but I have a feeling it's not long for this world.

These days network shows are the minority, by a long shot, of what I watch. Just a handful of sitcoms and a few things like Rock Center, occasionally Dateline, and a very few dramas - otherwise it's cable or 'movie type channel' cable shows for me.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:48 AM   #48
WhiskeyTango
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
So if you are showing promos on shows that nobody is watching, how is that helping things? They have only two shows where advertising during the shows is going to matter, and that's The Voice and SNF. The rest of the shows, it's like advertising in a dark tunnel.
Oh please. That's just not true.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:30 PM   #49
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub
 
scooterboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: East Kingston, NH USA
Posts: 27,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee 2.0 View Post
I thought I was the only person in the entire world who watched Journeyman.
I know you're relatively new here, but there are lots and lots of TCFers who loved that show. You're not alone anymore!
__________________
Proofreading: it's a good thing.

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:23 PM   #50
Jeeters
Registered Snoozer
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 6,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
I dunno.. never really impressed me...

That logo always used to reminde me of AMC's logo...


Jeeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:33 PM   #51
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 34,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
False analogy. It's one thing if you are replacing one or two "players". Getting rid of your entire team and hoping you can find an entire new one is a different story. It doesn't make sense to take such a risk. It would be like replacing an entire MLB roster with the AAA team.
no, I think it would be more like replacing a last place teams worth of players, except their best two players with some AAA up and comers. With the old players you KNOW you were gonna suck, but with the new players you might still suck but at least you know that there's potential to be better.
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:36 PM   #52
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 34,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
Oh please. That's just not true.
How is that not true? If you are advertising during the lowest rated shows, how is that getting the word out?
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:09 PM   #53
WhiskeyTango
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
no, I think it would be more like replacing a last place teams worth of players, except their best two players with some AAA up and comers.
You're arguing semantics now. Their 'place' is irrelevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
With the old players you KNOW you were gonna suck, but with the new players you might still suck but at least you know that there's potential to be better.
And therein lies the rub. There is also the potential to be worse - and actually a complete failure. By keeping some of the older shows, they know to what degree they will suck if nothing else improves. Remove that constant and there is no telling how low they could go. You simply don't take that kind of risk. You get rid of the worst, keep what's salvageable and try again next year to develop a few more keepers. At which point you again get rid of the worst and continue to build the brand rather than throwing **** at the wall and hoping it all works out for the best. Given their track record of new shows failing, your 'start from scratch' method would end in utter failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
How is that not true? If you are advertising during the lowest rated shows, how is that getting the word out?
You said "nobody" is watching. That is not true. NBC isn't always the lowest rated shows. Even if they are, they still have an audience of at least a few millions viewers. The word will still get out to them.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:15 PM   #54
JYoung
Series 3
 
JYoung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 24,579
Obviously NBC needs to do something radical.
Like moving Jay Leno to 10 PM every weekday.
__________________
Member of the TiVoShanan Fan Club!

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:18 PM   #55
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils
 
DevdogAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 37,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
no, I think it would be more like replacing a last place teams worth of players, except their best two players with some AAA up and comers. With the old players you KNOW you were gonna suck, but with the new players you might still suck but at least you know that there's potential to be better.
To continue the baseball analogy, haven't you ever seen a situation where a team brings in one or two new players at the trading deadline and suddenly the rest of the players start performing better? It happens all the time. There's no reason shows like Parks & Rec or Parenthood couldn't improve in the ratings if a couple new shows brought a fresh crop of viewers to NBC.

Completely replacing the entire roster would be insane. Unlike baseball, TV networks don't have long-suffering fans that come back year after year, win or lose. TV viewers watch the networks that have the shows they like. If a network doesn't have any shows you like, you rarely ever tune to that network. When was the last time you just casually tuned into Lifetime or CMT just to see what was on? You don't do that, because those networks (or insert your own forgotten networks here) don't give you any reason to tune in. If NBC didn't carry over any existing shows, the likelihood of any of their new shows becoming hits would go WAY down, and they can't afford to reduce their already miniscule chances of creating a hit.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
How is that not true? If you are advertising during the lowest rated shows, how is that getting the word out?
Even the low rated shows on NBC get 4-5 million viewers. That's a huge number of people who see promos and have the potential to tune into new shows.
__________________
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani
DevdogAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:20 PM   #56
Azlen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Peoria, AZ
Posts: 1,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
no, I think it would be more like replacing a last place teams worth of players, except their best two players with some AAA up and comers. With the old players you KNOW you were gonna suck, but with the new players you might still suck but at least you know that there's potential to be better.
Another problem with that is they don't have a whole team of AAA players to move up. In order to replace their entire lineup, they would probably have to sink to the AA and A level.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:28 PM   #57
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils
 
DevdogAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 37,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
Another problem with that is they don't have a whole team of AAA players to move up. In order to replace their entire lineup, they would probably have to sink to the AA and A level.
We need to kill the baseball analogy, because TV networks don't have minor league shows in development just waiting to get called up to the bigs. If NBC scraps their lineup, they'd be starting from scratch with completely unproven shows. It would be like a baseball team firing all their players and then going out on the street and filling their roster with 25 random guys who have never played at all.

And to further complicate the problem, the agents that represent the best shows and the best talent don't want anything to do with NBC. If you're a show creator and you think your show has a lot of promise, or you're a talent agent an you think your client's project has promise, NBC is going to be your last choice among the four broadcast networks. This means that NBC is getting the stuff the other networks have already turned down. Same is true for casting. When given the choice, actors will opt for the pilot that's being produced for the more stable networks, because the chances of long-term success are much better. This ultimately means that NBC either has to way overpay for their pilots and actors, or they're left with the bottom of the creative barrel.
__________________
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani
DevdogAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:38 PM   #58
ThePhoenix
Brr. It's Chile here
 
ThePhoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 1,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I hope they didn't ruin the show by having such a long hiatus. I really think that's a bad practice for a new show. By the time it comes back, a lot of people will have forgotten about it.
It was off so long I thought it had been cancelled anb ended up deleting the 3 or 4 episodes I hadn't watched yet. If I knew it was still alive, I would have kept them and caught up.

Maybe they'll rerun some of the old episodes before starting the new ones?
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ThePhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:43 PM   #59
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils
 
DevdogAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 37,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhoenix View Post
It was off so long I thought it had been cancelled anb ended up deleting the 3 or 4 episodes I hadn't watched yet. If I knew it was still alive, I would have kept them and caught up.

Maybe they'll rerun some of the old episodes before starting the new ones?
They might as well. Reruns of Revolution couldn't do any worse in the ratings than some of the new stuff they've been putting on.
__________________
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani
DevdogAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:47 PM   #60
Lee 2.0
Hoopy frood
 
Lee 2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lazlo's Basement
Posts: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
I know you're relatively new here, but there are lots and lots of TCFers who loved that show. You're not alone anymore!
MY PEEPS!!
Lee 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:11 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |