TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-25-2013, 10:11 PM   #31
hershey4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
You can take the files off the Tivo DVDs, if it has .TiVo file extension, .
It does not. When WMP failed to play the Tivo-burned DVD on a PC other than mine, I opened the DVD in explorer and all I saw was the normal VIDEO_TS stuff and the VOB. Could I grab the VOB and convert that if necessary to a more usable format?

The .tivo file is only what comes over to the PC.

BTW, I just downloaded the VideoRedo trial and decoded a .tivo file, extracted a show segment, and am in the process of uploading to Youtube to show a friend. Took less than 10 minutes and so far so good. Very easy and intuitive.

Next I will see if I can get it to my phone somehow.
hershey4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:32 PM   #32
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by hershey4 View Post
It does not. When WMP failed to play the Tivo-burned DVD on a PC other than mine, I opened the DVD in explorer and all I saw was the normal VIDEO_TS stuff and the VOB. Could I grab the VOB and convert that if necessary to a more usable format?

The .tivo file is only what comes over to the PC.

BTW, I just downloaded the VideoRedo trial and decoded a .tivo file, extracted a show segment, and am in the process of uploading to Youtube to show a friend. Took less than 10 minutes and so far so good. Very easy and intuitive.

VideoReDo trial is quite limited. If you want to decrypt, you can get the free TivoDecode. However, it does not have any editing capabilities.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:39 PM   #33
hershey4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
VideoReDo trial is quite limited. If you want to decrypt, you can get the free TivoDecode. However, it does not have any editing capabilities.
huh? I just did the trial fine. Oops did I use the wrong word? I said decode. Did I mean decrypt? I can't see the earlier part of this thread right now for the newbie terminology lesson.

Or are you talking about decrypt/decoding the VOB file on the DVD? That's not my concern at this point now. That only came up because of my incorrect assumptions about a Tivo-burned DVD. I think I have something that can convert a VOB.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:10 PM   #34
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:

Did you download the H.264 version?

It is just a matter of knowing what phone you have and/or what file format and video resolution your phone will accept.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:28 PM   #35
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Also, if you want VRD to be uncrippled (in re video length) you need to perform the free trial registration found in its menu system.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:41 AM   #36
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlippert View Post
Thanks Dan, that was a great explanation!

And I think I understand the VideoReDo problem when writing after frame edits have been made.

So most tools that remux an mkv into an mp4 don't normally change the timestamp resolution from 1KHz to 90KHz?

Hmm, normally NTSC at 90KHz (90000/29.97=3003.0030) the frames would be at:
0, 3003, 6006, 9009...
and you only jump an extra tick every 333 frames instead of every 3 frames.

Doing a straight conversion of the ms timestamps to 90KHz would give you:
0, 2970, 5940, 9000...

However, what if you converted a ms timestamp to a frame offset and that frame offset back to 90KHz? So for NTSC video:
66ms * (29.97 frames/s) = 1.978 frames, rounded to the nearest frame is 2.

A frame offset of 2 at 90KHz is at tick 6006, which is what it would be if the timestamp was originally 90Hz instead of having the 66 tick difference.

I think that this may occasionally be off a frame as you explained, however I think it avoids any cumulative errors.

Dan, I hope the above wasn't presumptuous but maybe it could help your algorithm. I know I don't know the intricacies of the problem (everything I do know, you've just explained to me!).

Mike
We actually do something like that, but it's not 100%. There is still a chance for rounding errors which can cause issues with our syncing logic. That being said I did some work on it today and found a few small bugs in the logic that might help improve it a little. I also disovered that the code I was using for the video frames doesn't work that great for audio frames, so I adjusted the audio logic to use a different calculation. Although I may have run into a bigger bug in VRD pertaining to AAC with 44.1KHz sampling rate. I need to look into that a bit more in the morning.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:25 AM   #37
hershey4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Also, if you want VRD to be uncrippled (in re video length) you need to perform the free trial registration found in its menu system.
so is 236MB for 4.5 minutes of real time unreasonably big? I thought that was because it was MPEG-2. It did take a surprisingly long time to upload to youtube. I assume they shrunk it to something more efficient.

I did get the registration key, but I think I cut the video before applying it. Maybe I will try again.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:05 AM   #38
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Not an unreasonable file length. The free-trial registration affects only the duration of video file you can process. I think the limit is 15 min without registraion.

The upload time to youtube probably was set by the file size, your upload speed, and them converting it to a more compact encoding, e.g., H.264.

and
Old 02-26-2013, 09:22 AM   #39
hershey4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Not an unreasonable file length.
I ran the 236MB through AnyVideoConverter and it became 30MB as a mp4. Much better. Too bad VDR can't do that in one step (for a reasonable cost).

I will explore the trial of VDR V3 some more and will probably get it, but definitely not the h.264 version.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:42 AM   #40
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
I ran the 236MB through AnyVideoConverter and it became 30MB as a mp4. Much better. Too bad VDR can't do that in one step (for a reasonable cost).

I will explore the trial of VDR V3 some more and will probably get it, but definitely not the h.264 version.
Very unlikely that 30 MB file had the same resolution and picture quality of the 236 MB video -- although that probably isn't important for YouTube uploads. That's an 8:1 compression from Mpeg2 to H.264. To maintain resolution and PQ you need to restrict compression to around 2:1.

VRD TVS4 (H.264) can do this in one step. It costs $96 instead of $75 for 'V3', a difference of only $21. Or are you actually planning to buy 'V2' (VRD Plus, for $50, the one that can't make DVD's)? If 'V2' or 'V3' plus AnyVideoConverter does all you will ever want, then you are good. The total time to make your .mp4 won't be much different whether done in one step or two since the bulk of the time is spent recoding from mpeg2 to H.264 video.

and