TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-25-2013, 02:03 AM   #1
bobdole888

tivo getting less channels than DTA

I have comcast limited basic subscription. The comcast through DTA, I get some extra channels compared to Tivo. These channels are not premium, but not part of limited basic line up (history channel, etc...).
I was under the impression that DTA only shows un-encrypted channels.
Why doesn't Tivo show these channels(assuming that they weren't encrypted)?
bobdole888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:38 AM   #2
tatergator1

What model is the Tivo that gets fewer channels? I'll assume this is a Series 2 based on what your seeing. The DTA is a "Digital Transport Adapter" and has been provided by Comcast because they are in the process of converting to all digital. The DTA shows Digital channels which may be encrypted or unencrypted. The Series 2 Tivo I assume you have can only handle Analog cable signals. The History Channel, etc. are most likely broadcast in only Digital, so your analog Tivo can not receive those signals anymore.

There are ways to interface the DTA with your Tivo so you can record the Digital channels you now have. There's more info on that if you search to forum.

If the above assumption is not true and you have a Series 3 or higher with CableCard, something's wrong with how Comcast has authorized your CableCard setup.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:17 AM   #3
bobdole888

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
What model is the Tivo that gets fewer channels? I'll assume this is a Series 2 based on what your seeing. The DTA is a "Digital Transport Adapter" and has been provided by Comcast because they are in the process of converting to all digital. The DTA shows Digital channels which may be encrypted or unencrypted. The Series 2 Tivo I assume you have can only handle Analog cable signals. The History Channel, etc. are most likely broadcast in only Digital, so your analog Tivo can not receive those signals anymore.

There are ways to interface the DTA with your Tivo so you can record the Digital channels you now have. There's more info on that if you search to forum.

If the above assumption is not true and you have a Series 3 or higher with CableCard, something's wrong with how Comcast has authorized your CableCard setup.
I have a tivo premiere. Comcast has gone all digital in my area.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #4
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdole888 View Post
I have a tivo premiere. Comcast has gone all digital in my area.
those are clear qam channels, but you do not need the DTA your premier should get those if you get a cable card to map the channels to the correct channels.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:09 PM   #5
JandS

Does your Premiere have a cable card (i.e. "M-card")? If so, it could be your cable card is not working correctly.

We had to replace our Comcast cable card this weekend. Activation resulted in us only getting Limited Basic channels and not the Preferred Digital channels we had been getting (and still got on the other XL2).

After 3 failed telephone activations (all by voice with multiple techs who said there was nothing wrong showing on their end, but none of their "send a signal" efforts did anything) on the new card and lots of coax swapping to check for connex issues we took the card back and got another one.

The Comcast rep showed us where the bad card was a refurbished card, it had a barely visible series of numbers stamped on the front indicating the refurbished status. The new card he gave us activated perfectly with the correct package channels available.
JandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:58 PM   #6
bobdole888

I do have a M card installed in my tivo premier.
It seems to work fine. I can even get xfinity on demand content.

To be clear, I'm not really complaining about tivo. I'm just curious about why things worked this way.
Tivo's missing channels in question are not channels in the limited basic package that I subscribe to.
I thought that DTA only shows channels that are in the clear, so I would have expected that any channel that I can get on DTA should also appear on Tivo.

It seem that the cable card and the DTA do not have the same channel line up.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:50 PM   #7
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdole888 View Post
I do have a M card installed in my tivo premier.
It seems to work fine. I can even get xfinity on demand content.

To be clear, I'm not really complaining about tivo. I'm just curious about why things worked this way.
Tivo's missing channels in question are not channels in the limited basic package that I subscribe to.
I thought that DTA only shows channels that are in the clear, so I would have expected that any channel that I can get on DTA should also appear on Tivo.

It seem that the cable card and the DTA do not have the same channel line up.
There are times when a cable company will not encrypted channels even through they are not part of the basic cable package. I have a friend that subbed to something that looks like a lifeline package no STB just plugs the cable into their TV when they switched from a CRT to a HD TV last year they found quit a few more open digital channels than what they are supposed to get.

Your DTA is dumb device and would pickup any open channels regardless if they were supposed to be open or not. My guess is the cable card, which is a smart device, actually restricts you to only the channels that are part of the package you pay for as that is one of the cable cards functions.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:03 PM   #8
bobdole888

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
There are times when a cable company will not encrypted channels even through they are not part of the basic cable package. I have a friend that subbed to something that looks like a lifeline package no STB just plugs the cable into their TV when they switched from a CRT to a HD TV last year they found quit a few more open digital channels than what they are supposed to get.

Your DTA is dumb device and would pickup any open channels regardless if they were supposed to be open or not. My guess is the cable card, which is a smart device, actually restricts you to only the channels that are part of the package you pay for as that is one of the cable cards functions.
So if I pull out the cable card from tivo, then I will actually get more channels than then if I have it in? This sounds nutty, but I guess that might be the reality.
Not that I would, I know then my channels won't match up to guide data, and Tivo won't be able to record the right channel anymore.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:56 PM   #9
heyted

A Comcast DTA can tune encrypted channels. I have Comcast Digital Starter with a DTA on the bedroom tv and a Premiere on the living room tv. I get more chnnels on the Premiere than I get on the DTA. Once you have a functional CableCARD that is setup correctly, you should get the same channels that you get on the DTA (or more).
heyted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:40 PM   #10
mattack

Since you get On Demand, this is almost certainly already true.. but are you sure the cable card is set up/enabled for your account? You can read other threads and figure out if yours is properly set up from the (yucky, cable card created) cable card access screen.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote