TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #121
malayphred
Underpowered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by howards View Post
Anybody who can coordinate with their cable company and get a CableCard working with a Premiere and get wireless networking working right (and securely) is a power user. :-)
I can do all that.

But Windows 8 brought me to my knees.

Didn't ANYONE else do this with W8?????

I must be in the Twilight Zone (Oops - my age is showing ).
malayphred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:05 PM   #122
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by malayphred View Post
I can do all that.

But Windows 8 brought me to my knees.

Didn't ANYONE else do this with W8?????

I must be in the Twilight Zone (Oops - my age is showing ).
Windows 8 makes you an overpowered user.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:04 PM   #123
Justin_Awe

Thumbs up Yeowza - Curl.conf Edit

Working as I type! Thank you to all involved in offering the workaround and subsequent feedback.

PS. I thought I'd find this glitch a week long problem with Google Search causing my fingertips to run red.
Justin_Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:04 AM   #124
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Number 1 rule when it comes to support.

Come here before calling TiVo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:37 AM   #125
schwinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
I found a work around for TiVo Desktop...
Thank you, Morac... this worked perfectly.

For the support people, they should know that this problem happened to me on a fresh, brand new install of Win7 (x64 Ultimate) and with a fresh download of Tivo Desktop 2.8.3 from the Tivo site. Bottom line, it IS a problem on their end... because even my ancient XP install (dual boot) works fine.

Interestingly enough, the curl.conf on the XP side doesn't have any "cookie" in it
either... but it works there (granted, that install has been upgraded from older installs...)
schwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:13 AM   #126
ccd

morac's curl fix - BRILLIANT!
ccd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:04 AM   #127
fishstick22

Thanks a million!

Quote:
I found a work around for TiVo Desktop. There's a curl.conf file in the TiVo Desktop settings folder (*). This can be used to add parameters passed to curl.

Make a backup of curl.conf and then edit it with a text editor and add the following line to the bottom of the file:

Or just use the attached curl.conf file (extract from zip file).

(*) The folder is located in:
Windows XP = %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\TiVo Desktop
Windows Vista and up = %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\TiVo Desktop
Thanks a million! I tried everything else over the last few days after my auto transfers suddenly stopped working. This fixed it. Wish I had seen this first before reinstalling and restarting a bunch of times (and uninstalling my AV, etc).

Wonder what the heck is making this file dissapear?
fishstick22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:25 AM   #128
pdxsdm

Tivo Desktop Transfer Failure

This fix did not work for me. I had to resort back to the 2-13 date change and it worked before and after I tried the Curl fix. Running Windows7 PC. I haven't found a Tivo Support solution for this yet. Has anyone else? Hate to keep setting my PC's to 2-13 as a work around.
pdxsdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:06 PM   #129
pdxsdm

Morac Cure Tivo Desktop

I posted earlier saying this didn't work but I must've done something wrong. Retried it this morning and it's brilliant. No date setbacks and TTG transfer working perfectly S2, and two premieres. What a genius. My hat is off to you sir.
pdxsdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:31 PM   #130
Call Me Richard
Old Guy

Netgear ReadyNAS Succumbs To Tivoitis

This started for me when my new Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra could no longer do its archive function. I won't bother to tell you all the stuff I tried (including re-making the Cat 5 connection plugs on my long run to the Bedroom Tivo). I have written to Netgear about this. I feel sorry for them. I'm sure this will take a firmware update to fix this. I hope they subect Tivo to ridicule and mockery, and charge them a fine dinner out for the trouble they have caused!
Call Me Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:12 AM   #131
paengr

Quote:
Originally Posted by degobahjunk View Post
Hi AlMejias,

I don't have a curl.conf file either & the one that I downloaded from morac just isn't working. Can you tell me how to create the file the way you did?

This is the information in the curl.conf file I have from morac when opened in NotePad:

user-agent = TivoDownloader/0.1
speed-time = 30
verbose
cookie = "sid=abc"

Would this content remain the same?

I'm really not sure why this seems to work for everyone but me... :sigh:

I'm running TiVo Desktop 2.5.1 on Windows XP Pro.

Thanks, JW
degobahjunk - don't jump yet!!! Do a search on your C: and include all subfolders and all hidden and system files. I had a SECOND curl.conf file lurking in a TEMP user profile. When I added cookie = "sid=abc", it worked. I DID NOT need to reboot, just needed to restart Desktop (2.8.3). Date and time are now set to the correct values.

(Don't ask my why it is looking in some other profile directory to read the config file... Given the sloppy coding and testing I am hearing about here, almost anything is possible.)

morac, please take note - you may hear more of this from XP Pro users with multiple user profiles, but MANY THANKS for putting us on the right track!!!

Last edited by paengr : 02-24-2013 at 07:17 AM.
paengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:03 AM   #132
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by paengr View Post

degobahjunk - don't jump yet!!! Do a search on your C: and include all subfolders and all hidden and system files. I had a SECOND curl.conf file lurking in a TEMP user profile. When I added cookie = "sid=abc", it worked. I DID NOT need to reboot, just needed to restart Desktop (2.8.3). Date and time are now set to the correct values.

(Don't ask my why it is looking in some other profile directory to read the config file... Given the sloppy coding and testing I am hearing about here, almost anything is possible.)

morac, please take note - you may hear more of this from XP Pro users with multiple user profiles, but MANY THANKS for putting us on the right track!!!
His problem is/was that he is/was running TiVo Desktop 2.5.1. The fix only works in 2.8.3 (possibly 2.8 and above).
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:31 PM   #133
tadas

morac patch and 2.6.2

I can confirm that morac's patch does not seem to work with the 2.6.2 version, even though there *is* a curl.conf in that version. Unfortunately, later versions don't seem to get along with my ancient Series 2 with lifetime service...
tadas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:04 PM   #134
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadas View Post
I can confirm that morac's patch does not seem to work with the 2.6.2 version, even though there *is* a curl.conf in that version. Unfortunately, later versions don't seem to get along with my ancient Series 2 with lifetime service...
What version of Windows are you running?

I'm using 2.8.2 on 3 different PCs running XP and have no problems (now that curl.conf is patched) with a 140, a 240, a 540, and a couple of 649s, as well as a 652 and a 648.

Now if only I could get it to work with my Philips and Sony S1s.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:35 PM   #135
jsrober

Thank you!

Quote:
I found a work around for TiVo Desktop.
Thank you!

Here's the Java code I used to add this cookie to my client:

BasicClientCookie cookie = new BasicClientCookie("sid", "abc");
cookie.setDomain("tivo");
cookie.setPath("/");
cookieStore = new BasicCookieStore();
cookieStore.addCookie(cookie);

Last edited by jsrober : 02-24-2013 at 05:58 PM.
jsrober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #136
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Finally got around to adding morac's fix to my curl.conf file, and tested TiVo Desktop. Works beautifully. Thanks, morac!
Old 02-24-2013, 07:07 PM   #137
tadas

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
What version of Windows are you running?

I'm using 2.8.2 on 3 different PCs running XP and have no problems (now that curl.conf is patched) with a 140, a 240, a 540, and a couple of 649s, as well as a 652 and a 648.

Now if only I could get it to work with my Philips and Sony S1s.
Thanks, unitron, for the wake up; when I got my current Tivo back in 2009, the latest was 2.7.0, which did not play well with my Series 2 unit. I never followed up on later releases as 2.6.2 worked until this cookie incident.

Folks running versions older than 2.8.2, try updating to it (make sure you have the installer for the older version just in case, as well as Tivo Desktop Cleaner), and apply morac's patch. It should work; it did for me.
tadas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:42 PM   #138
degobahjunk

Series 2 & Desktop versions

Quote:
Oh no... really? I don't even know if 2.8.3 (that I just installed) will work with my other TiVo Series 2. I've been so caught up in fixing the connection with my HD I didn't even think of that! Maybe that's why I stuck with 2.5.1 for so long. I don't even remember. My Series 2 w/ lifetime subscription is currently not recording anything & I haven't gotten around to figuring out why. It's on a tv we haven't used in months.... my next TiVo project.

Anyone know if you can have more than one version of Desktop installed? I really doubt it.... maybe I'll keep 2.5.1 on my other computer....

Last edited by degobahjunk : 02-24-2013 at 11:13 PM. Reason: correction
degobahjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:47 PM   #139
degobahjunk

Quote:
Thanks, unitron, for the wake up; when I got my current Tivo back in 2009, the latest was 2.7.0, which did not play well with my Series 2 unit. I never followed up on later releases as 2.6.2 worked until this cookie incident.

Folks running versions older than 2.8.2, try updating to it (make sure you have the installer for the older version just in case, as well as Tivo Desktop Cleaner), and apply morac's patch. It should work; it did for me.
Okay, scratch my last post if 2.8.3 works with Series 2. I'll bet that was why I stuck with 2.5.1 for so long, though. I remember having a heck of a time after updating at some point, getting frustrated & just going back to 2.5.1.
degobahjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:27 AM   #140
wkranzjr

Smile

Quote:
I found a work around for TiVo Desktop. There's a curl.conf file in the TiVo Desktop settings folder (*). This can be used to add parameters passed to curl.

Make a backup of curl.conf and then edit it with a text editor and add the following line to the bottom of the file:

Thank you very much.
wkranzjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:23 PM   #141
hershey4

I have to add my THANKS to the curl.conf fix and even the timestamp workaround.

I rarely use my Tivo Desktop (w/S2) to the point that I had disabled all the related services that I felt bogged down my computer needlessly. But today after about 1-2 years of non-use, I had a need to transfer a tivo file so I re-enabled everything and was quite pleased when Desktop started up smoothly and showed me my DVR recordings. But, alas timing is everything!!! The transfer attempt failed. If only I had done this a couple of weeks ago. Nice that the error message was so helpful too (NOT!)

Fortunately, from previous experiences, I knew to head immediately to TivoCommunity. It took hardly any time to find these threads. Yea!!

I did the time-stamp workaround reluctantly and a transfer is in progress now. As soon as it completes, I will undo that and try the curl.conf fix. I hope when (if?) TIvo fixes this in its software, the workaround doesn't cause a problem.
hershey4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #142
jackie moon

I'm new to windows 8 and I am not able to figure out how to find this curl file. Anyone have any step by step help. Changing the date is causing me all kinds of other problems.
jackie moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #143
hershey4

Not supported for Windows 8

Are you using Tivo Desktop? I saw on the Tivo website that it is NOT supported for Windows 8.
hershey4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #144
Puppy76

Quote:
Originally Posted by hershey4 View Post
Are you using Tivo Desktop? I saw on the Tivo website that it is NOT supported for Windows 8.
It works fine for Windows 8 (one of the great things about Windows is how good the backwards compatibility is for not just years, but decades).

This is a problem with with a date Tivo's using, they need to update it and haven't yet. Simply setting the clock back on your PC "fixes" it, but hopefully they're actually working on a real fix (which should be easy).
Puppy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:41 PM   #145
sender_name
XM 202!

Quote:

A++++ For the fix
Came back from a 1 week cruise to find that not only had none of my shows transferred but the dvr ran out of room and recorded over them...This has not been a problem for 8 years and I go away for a week...eccch! And these are shows you can't get off torrents...
sender_name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:18 PM   #146
alansh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie moon View Post
I'm new to windows 8 and I am not able to figure out how to find this curl file. Anyone have any step by step help. Changing the date is causing me all kinds of other problems.
Hold down the Windows key and type R. A "Run" box will pop up.

In the box, put in

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\TiVo Desktop

and click OK. Paste it in exactly as above, with the percent signs and USERPROFILE. File Explorer will open up and one of the files will be called curl.conf.

Double-click on it. When it asks if you want to look online for an app to open it, instead select "more options". From the list that appears, select Notepad. Add the "cookie" line so that it looks like this:
Code:
speed-time = 30
verbose
cookie = "sid=abc"
Save the file and restart Tivo Desktop.

Oh, and yes, I can't believe they hardcoded the date, and that it's been there as long as TivoToGo has existed.

Last edited by alansh : 02-25-2013 at 10:30 PM.
alansh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:31 PM   #147
malayphred
Underpowered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansh View Post
Hold down the Windows key and type R. A "Run" box will pop up.

In the box, put in

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\TiVo Desktop

and click OK. Paste it in exactly as above, with the percent signs and USERPROFILE. File Explorer will open up and one of the files will be called curl.conf.

Double-click on it. When it asks if you want to look online for an app to open it, instead select "more options". From the list that appears, select Notepad. Add the "cookie" line so that it looks like this:
Code:
speed-time = 30
verbose
cookie = "sid=abc"
Save the file and restart Tivo Desktop.
Oh - so NOW you show up.

Where the hell were you when I was dying???
malayphred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:54 PM   #148
Corran Horn

Quote:

Thanks!
Old 02-25-2013, 11:37 PM   #149
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by malayphred View Post
Oh - so NOW you show up.

Where the hell were you when I was dying???
Sucks to be an early adopter, eh?

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:59 AM   #150
howards

Quote:
I am using ancient Series 2 with lifetime service, and the latest Tivo Desktop with the curl.conf patch works great.
howards is offline   Reply With Quote